• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    itsbruce wrote:

Blah blah gender politics blah.

Certainly sounds like a Spice Girls lyric :P

Really? Maybe I should try them again... :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    LiT, gender discrimination still does happen. Some women are still victims of domestic violence, some men still do view women as the weaker sex and many still have a glass ceiling over their heads.

Weren't you forced to sack a woman for being overweight? Weren't you asked to wear highheels when in the office? What do you think that was? I told Mrs DDD (lawyer) and she said that behaviour was a court case waiting to happen.

Irrespective of the rose tint, what itsbruce is saying is very much a reality for some and actions you've taken or like to happen towards you such as doors being opened for you, does very much fuel that perception in some males.

However, I will freely admit that you, your desire to both play the feminine role and the successful female professional is equally an example that gender equality is also apparent. So in that respect itsbruce take note you are a living example that you are can be right. However, your perception (what you are typing) isn't always the case.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    edited May 2010
    And for balance:
    LiT wrote:
    It's entirely possible to be a successful person AND be happy when people open doors for you. Appreciating courtesy is not the same as being spineless.

itsbruce, the above is also true and does happen.

Just because you hold the door for a female teacher, doesn't mean she can't teach the class as good as a male teacher. What has holding a door got to do with her expertise and knowledge?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Lastly here is one for gender equality.

I stop at a lights, I'm in my cycling shorts. I look to my left and there is a female driver, with her little finger in her mouth gazing at my lower section! Yes my thigh, crotch and butt area.

I turn once more to look at her and she's still staring. Then her car beings to role back slightly. Yep she's checking out my butt. :roll:

So. Here's one for equality.

Girl in lycra to the eyeballs on a mountain bike stopped at the lights. The shape of her knees leading to her shapely thighs, tells me she does more than commuting.

The lights go green, we set off, I take up a slow pace behind her and study her form and pedal technique. I'm an ankle man so this part of the overtake is important to me. I then study the movement of her lower back to gauge if her upper body is moving. This lets me know how strong her core is.

I then begin to overtake. As I overtake I slow down match her speed get a good look of her side profile. Finally once I've overtaken I take one last look over my shoulder to (i) make sure I haven't cut her up (ii) get a good look at her face (iii) see if I can get a glimpse of her 'ram air scoop'. It all happens in about 20 - 45secs (the overtaking part being the shortest period as not to be dangerous).

I did this today, I've done it in the past and I will do it again.

People who don't want to be checked out shouldn't be (i) attractive to me (ii) look nice. It's their fault.
    Food Chain number = 4

• itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Just because you hold the door for a female teacher, doesn't mean she can't teach the class as good as a male teacher. What has holding a door got to do with her expertise and knowledge?

Aye, I'm quite aware of that. Ironically, I stepped in to defend MadammeMarie, because I thought LiT's reaction was a little over the top. You could call that chivalry if you like, although I suspect that would annoy Madamme.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    CdrJake wrote:
    I have had many a 'look' from women when I have held a door open for them out of basic politeness. Perhaps I shouldn't bother.

Nah, that look was because of your shaved chest 8)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    itsbruce wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Aye, I'm quite aware of that. Ironically, I stepped in to defend MadammeMarie, because I thought LiT's reaction was a little over the top. You could call that chivalry if you like, although I suspect that would annoy Madamme.

Meh, sometimes I open doors sometimes I don't.
    Food Chain number = 4

• itsbruce
    Sorry, I meant to add smileys, there; tongue has been at least partly in cheek all the way through.
  • DonDaddyD
    No worries, I thought my last post would have lowered/lightened the tone....
    Food Chain number = 4

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    It did - I particularly like the phrase "Ram air scoop" - but I'm a romantic, so will continue to refer to it as a decolletage if it's all the same to you?! :P
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • itsbruce
    DonDaddyD wrote:

MonkeyMonster looks like the master of that ;)
  • MonkeyMonster
    itsbruce wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

MonkeyMonster looks like the master of that ;)

Hot diggity, you've not been around long and figured me out quickly :D I was leaving this alone for DDD to muck about in initially but couldn't resist.
    I open doors and leave seats for ladies and older gents like a gentlemen and its always nice when they respond pleasntly. It's the ones like Jakes who give you a dirty look as though you've actually got a bit of spinach stuck in your teeth (or pubic hair for that lowering of tone) that actually makes me a bit angry. Either accept and be nice or say no thanks and give an odd look. You really can't have your cake and eat it darlin.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Oh dear, not quite what I intended this thread to degenerate into, Oh welll......

Just for the record, I do not believe in 'little wifey back home' as the wife would tell you (and certainly do not condone domestic violnce by EITHER partner - although in violent realtionships maybe partner is the wrong word as a partership should be of equals), nor am I at all sexist in my opinions of peoples ability, but I do believe in a gentleman behaving like a gentleman, and not following DDD's '101' in leching!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lost_in_thought
    itsbruce wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

OMG you're totally a sexist pig, you can't have it both ways sunshine.
  • lost_in_thought
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    LiT, gender discrimination still does happen. Some women are still victims of domestic violence, some men still do view women as the weaker sex and many still have a glass ceiling over their heads.

Weren't you forced to sack a woman for being overweight? Weren't you asked to wear highheels when in the office? What do you think that was? I told Mrs DDD (lawyer) and she said that behaviour was a court case waiting to happen.

Quite feasibly could have been a court case re the receptionist, yes. But that wasn't sexism, that was weight-ism or appearance-ism.

And being asked to wear heels is dress code. Most offices have them.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Quite feasibly could have been a court case re the receptionist, yes. But that wasn't sexism, that was weight-ism or appearance-ism.

I think you'll find that dresscode doesn't extend to stating the exact type of shoe. It may state smart black shoes but to specify heels for ladies is the same as asking them to wear a miniskirt in the office and is therefore gender discrimination. Not least of which what if you had a bad back? Wearing heels isn't a requirement of the job, looking smart is.

If stating the exact shoe was the case then all women must wear the Dior shoes that Carey wore in 'Sex and the City'.

These:
    candice-gladiator.jpg

Yes Mrs DDD has a pair like them.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    see if I can get a glimpse of her 'ram air scoop'.

Every so often, I see a phrase which I know will stick with me. "Ram air scoop" in this context is one such phrase. And for that I thank you! :lol::lol::lol:

And that's particularly pertinent as, just this morning, I spotted my signal that summer is acoming - a particularly well decolletaged example who has been hidden beneath a hi-viz jacket for the last 6 months or so passed me going in the opposite direction, in the usual place, in all her summery finery. And she's bought a drop-bar bike since last summer. :lol:
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • MonkeyMonster
    Sorry DDD but that is an ugly shoe. Go get your eyes tested again.

Dresscode is surely entirely definable by the company within sensible limits - no to mankinis. If they stated that the receptionists dress code required heels then it does - whether or not that is defensible is an entirely separate matter.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    see if I can get a glimpse of her 'ram air scoop'.

Every so often, I see a phrase which I know will stick with me. "Ram air scoop" in this context is one such phrase. And for that I thank you! :lol::lol::lol:

I'd love to take the credit but I think GregT was the first person to coin that phrase on here.
    Food Chain number = 4

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    edited May 2010
    Indeed
    GregT

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:52 am

The ram air scoop effect.

I love summer
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • DonDaddyD
    edited May 2010
    Sorry DDD but that is an ugly shoe. Go get your eyes tested again.

Dresscode is surely entirely definable by the company within sensible limits - no to mankinis. If they stated that the receptionists dress code required heels then it does - whether or not that is defensible is an entirely separate matter.

It's not defensible. It's a gender specific request above and beyond the requirements for the job. It works like this: Heels are not a specific requirement for the job, looking smart is. If women have to wear heels what do men wear, comfortable flat shoes? That's where the discrimination resides.

The Carey-Dior shoe is not ugly. Black lizard print dior shoe, black dress tight, cluch or hand bag, hair down. Mmmmmmmmmm. Now that is a dresscode.
    Food Chain number = 4

• MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    itsbruce wrote:

There was a time, not very long ago at all, when the code that required men to open doors for women required the women, in turn, to keep their mouths shut, to never question a man's opinion or seek to correct him etc. The practice is still tainted by association for some.

Things may be less rigid now (also less defined and more confusing) but those attitudes haven't entirely evaporated. I work in a web consultancy where two male senior managers consistently overlooked the only female developer in the Engineering team, never giving her any responsibility or projects of her own, even when this omission was drawn to their attention. She was actually the brightest and most able of the people they'd recruited that year; despite that, I was the first and only manager ever to give her lead position on any projects and she eventually left. Neither of those men (both around 30 years of age, so we're not talking about old fossils) would explain why they ignored and dismissed her. They'd be shocked at an allegation of sexism. Both very much the sort to open doors, which wasn't much use to Jen. She'd much rather have had them let the door slam but listen to her.

+1

And I hope Jen had success in her career!
  • MonkeyMonster
    DDD you're missing the devils advocate point in that if the dress code states ladies must wear heels then surely they must? I'm talking hypothetically here and tbh I do remember two conversations with friends in the past where heels for ladies was part of the dress code for their role.

and yes it is :D we can be mature enough on here for me to say you smell bad as well as having very questionable taste in shoes... :D
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    "Etiquette for passing a lady"

Erm... I would think:

Try not to make straining sounds
    Avoid splashes
    Make sure you wipe your bottom properly afterwards

What?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MonkeyMonster
    "Etiquette for passing a lady"

Erm... I would think:

Try not to make straining sounds
    Avoid splashes
    Make sure you wipe your bottom properly afterwards

What?

Totally off the wall but beautiful all the same - chapeau sir. :lol:
  • MadammeMarie
    itsbruce wrote:

Thank you! :)

I feel really strongly about this, having been a victim of apalling discrimination at work myself, by the same b@st@rds that "opened the door for me". :(
  • MadammeMarie

Not really. I work in a bank and we have a strict dress code (i.e. wear suits). When it comes to foot wear, though, as long as you don't wear trainers or flip flops, the shoes you wear should be confmortable for you. For some women, like myself, using heels is absolute torture. There are very, very nice shoes out there that don't have high heels.
  • DonDaddyD
    DDD you're missing the devils advocate point in that if the dress code states ladies must wear heels then surely they must? I'm talking hypothetically here and tbh I do remember two conversations with friends in the past where heels for ladies was part of the dress code for their role.

What is the requirement and justification for insisting a woman must wear heels as part of their job function and men can wear whatever shoes they like as long as they look smart?

If the rule doesn't apply to and set a precedent for all staff (excluding exceptional circumstances) then the request is an act of discrimination.
    and yes it is :D we can be mature enough on here for me to say you smell bad as well as having very questionable taste in shoes... :D

To adapt Churchill

"I may smell and be an ankle freak, but you sir are bald and in the morning I can shower, but you will always be bald."
    Food Chain number = 4

• CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    CdrJake wrote:
    I have had many a 'look' from women when I have held a door open for them out of basic politeness. Perhaps I shouldn't bother.

Nah, that look was because of your shaved chest 8)

I didn't shave, I waxed, there is a difference :lol:
    twitter: @JakeM1969