If I was a motorist, critical mass would anger me

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Irrespective of the number of times you've witnessed poor driving given the number of vehicles there is bound to be more examples of good driving. You just remember the poor driving more. It's like the majority of cyclists don't RLJ but the few that do stand out. So StuAff, I have to say its a moot point.

Bottom line.

Lost_in_Thought is right.

I'm not saying she isn't. And I don't mean bad driving in that sense, I mean drivers treating me like dirt/second class citizen/like I just don't exist/so on. Which happens all too frequently. Just as there are far too many RLJing pavement riding ninja idiots on bikes. Not a moot point, it's a fact. There are not 'bound to be more examples of good driving' or cycling, unfortunately.....

See my issue is frequency and true I can't speak from your experience so I'll speak from mine.

I get home, I tell my girlfriend about a car that cut me up or treated me poorly on the road. By the end of th week my girlfriend turns to me and says something along the line of "I don't think you should cycle it sounds dangerous all you've done is mention incidents where your safety has been threatened".

Now this may be the case to her, but what she isn't considering is that that is just one incident out of well above 100 encounters I have with car's during my commute (and I do reckon I pass easily over 100 cars a day and more drive past me).

So again I question the frequency of poor driving encoutered and whether it is actually that high or simply because we tend not to forget things that are contary to the norm.

+1

:D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lost_in_thought
    Actually, thinking about it, I can immediately recall many more incidents where I've suffered from bad driving while in my car.

I wonder why that is... possibly because I cover more distance in my car, or maybe because the traffic's moving faster, or maybe I'm more zen when I'm on my bike. Or more cautious.

Interesting.
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    Here's the pedestrian's version of Critical Mass in Dorset. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/dorset/8661477.stm

Looks like big lorries are becoming a bit of a sore issue everywhere....
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Don't really get this "Them vs us" stance. I see a lot of stupidity on the roads and it spans all modes of transport. I'm of the thought that negotiating our roads is a cooperative affair. I ride assertively but predictably and have had few problems. Frequent shoulder-checks and pointed looks at near-side corners of cars that are too close work wonders...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,191
    AndyManc wrote:
    Cycling is part of a political goal, for me that involves revolution.
    AndyManc, do tell us, what exactly is this glorious revolution that you are working towards? Parking a tank outside the Houses of Parliament, Citizen Smith style and shouting 'Power to the people' must be out of the question as that would involve using motorised transport.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • lost_in_thought
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    AndyManc, do tell us, what exactly is this glorious revolution that you are working towards? Parking a tank outside the Houses of Parliament, Citizen Smith style and shouting 'Power to the people' must be out of the question as that would involve using motorised transport.

hyanide_main_485.jpg

*star wars darth vader tune*

Alright so it's a motorbike, but it's the best I could do
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Irrespective of the number of times you've witnessed poor driving given the number of vehicles there is bound to be more examples of good driving. You just remember the poor driving more. It's like the majority of cyclists don't RLJ but the few that do stand out. So StuAff, I have to say its a moot point.

Bottom line.

I'm not saying she isn't. And I don't mean bad driving in that sense, I mean drivers treating me like dirt/second class citizen/like I just don't exist/so on. Which happens all too frequently. Just as there are far too many RLJing pavement riding ninja idiots on bikes. Not a moot point, it's a fact. There are not 'bound to be more examples of good driving' or cycling, unfortunately.....

See my issue is frequency and true I can't speak from your experience so I'll speak from mine.

I get home, I tell my girlfriend about a car that cut me up or treated me poorly on the road. By the end of th week my girlfriend turns to me and says something along the line of "I don't think you should cycle it sounds dangerous all you've done is mention incidents where your safety has been threatened".

Now this may be the case to her, but what she isn't considering is that that is just one incident out of well above 100 encounters I have with car's during my commute (and I do reckon I pass easily over 100 cars a day and more drive past me).

So again I question the frequency of poor driving encoutered and whether it is actually that high or simply because we tend not to forget things that are contary to the norm.

We could argue about this all day, right? Good point though- we remember the idiots (drivers, cyclists or other road users) far more easily than those who are considerate, careful, law-abiding (as to how many are actually in each camp, pass).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

hyanide_main_485.jpg

I want one. Where can I buy it?
  • DonDaddyD
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Bottom line.

You know what mate, by golly you're right!

+1! You win the Internet.!

Gee thanks Stu, appreciate it!

:wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Have to agree with DDD and LiT - what is the point of being aggressive towards motorists ?
    All you do is give them the impression (wrong I know) that all cyclists are extremists who don't like to share the road - what we should be saying is we're road users too so you need to make youself aware.
    Postive riding ie primary position, regular shoulder checks, road positioning and signalling keep you out of trouble.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DDD, you 're welcome......

Cheeky b'stard! :lol:
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Don't really get this "Them vs us" stance. I see a lot of stupidity on the roads and it spans all modes of transport. I'm of the thought that negotiating our roads is a cooperative affair. I ride assertively but predictably and have had few problems. Frequent shoulder-checks and pointed looks at near-side corners of cars that are too close work wonders...
    Drifting a bit OT, but my thoughts are that it is because it is easier to discriminate between people based on what you see. If anything I think that the 'them vs us' should be 'the reasonable vs the idiots' (of course, the judgement of that could be quite subjective and changeable - and of course I'd never be in the idiot camp :roll:). It is just a shame it isn't easier to spot an idiot by how they look.

As a result, when one suffers at the hands of an individual it is easier to pidgeonhole them by how they look, rather than how they act, and then vent your anger/frustration/etc... at all those who look the same rather than those who behave the same.

Of course, the same person can decide to behave in different ways even in identical circumstances...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    If you were to ask a random selection of the commuting public:

What does Critical Mass actually stand for?

I doubt more than 10% would know what it actually stands for (especially the car drivers)

Which to me seems like a tired protest that's past it's due date
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    Clever Pun wrote:

I doubt more than 10% would know what it actually stands for (especially the car drivers)

What DOES it actually stand for?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    *leans forward attentively, hopes to learn something*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    A critical mass is the smallest amount of fissile material required to start a nuclear chain reaction.

(wanders off to check....)

Yup :)

basically get a big enough lump of plutonium and it starts spitting out radiation quickly enough to keep going.

People get very ill very quickly at this point.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lost_in_thought
    Ahhhhh thanks KB, that makes it all clear.

:lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    Child,

Critical Mass is many things

Its what is achieved in a stomach just before the person needs to go p.....

It happens when you play with your...

And

It happens when too much air is forced into a...
    Food Chain number = 4

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,191
    rhext wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

hyanide_main_485.jpg

I want one. Where can I buy it?
    Quite cool actually, though I can't see a bunch of car hating revolutionaries going out and buying them. Unless they're solar powered or something.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    A critical mass is the smallest amount of fissile material required to start a nuclear chain reaction.

basically get a big enough lump of plutonium and it starts spitting out radiation quickly enough to keep going.

Oh! I thought it was a religious ceremony where you were told off for not being a good enough Catholic (but on wheels, obviously - it's where the exclamation, "Christ on a bike!" comes from).
  • itboffin wrote:
    Also these events attract the sorts of people that really shouldn't be taking their clothes off in public.

Or "men" as I call them.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660

Oh! I thought it was a religious ceremony where you were told off for not being a good enough Catholic (but on wheels, obviously - it's where the exclamation, "Christ on a bike!" comes from).

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

like I said less than 10% I've no bleeding idea myself, I was hoping some jumped up self rightious hippy would let us all know :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    rjsterry wrote:
    CrackFox wrote:
    Listen. If you wanted to join Critical Mass, you'd have to really hate motorists"
    "I do!"'
    "Right. You're in. Listen. The only people we hate more than motorists are the f**king CTC!"
    "Splitters!"

Etc

Perfect.

Ah Monty! how I miss dear old Monty

Edit: mmm mass agreement with a DDD posting is that the sign of the second coming of the beast ..? :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    ITB if throw enough shite some of it will stick
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    ITB if throw enough shite some of it will stick

:lol::lol::lol:

Don't make me laugh it hurts my neck :lol:

Nurse!!!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    itboffin wrote:

Careful, old fart. You sound like you're commanding the men in the trenches again.
    itboffin wrote:
    Edit: mmm mass agreement with a DDD posting is that the sign of the second coming of the beast ..? :twisted:

The second beast?
    And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon: Revelation 13:11

Now, I'm no farmer, but what lambs have horns? :?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

like I said less than 10% I've no bleeding idea myself, I was hoping some jumped up self rightious hippy would let us all know :lol:
    If you don't know what it is, how can you have an opinion as to its relevance?

http://critical-mass.info/origin.html

Where it is an occasional celebration of cycling, a raising of awareness, like any other parade, no problem. If its a weekly or monthly, "How do you feel now?" towards motorists... no, unhelpful. I guess the naked ones are a bit hit and miss as well.

It may be more relevant to places with less cycling.

I think if I cycled in London I'd get freaked out by all of the cyclists even if there wasn't a critical mass ride going on.
  • itboffin
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Careful, old fart. You sound like you're commanding the men in the trenches again.
    itboffin wrote:

The second beast?
    And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon: Revelation 13:11

Now, I'm no farmer, but what lambs have horns? :?

Yes the first one's asleep up stairs surely she IS the devil!

Lambs with horns mmm must be a Welsh thing :P