Labour's last gasp?...

124»

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I believe the only reason I'm so relatively well off today is because my forefathers had the balls to challenge the ruling classes and trade unions.

Do you mean "in trade unions"?
  • johnfinch wrote:
    I believe the only reason I'm so relatively well off today is because my forefathers had the balls to challenge the ruling classes and trade unions.

As an example, look at the wages paid to London Underground employees. They are paid pretty well, drivers get £40k+, and all because they're willing to p*ss people off and go on strike. Good luck to 'em, if you want something fight for it. Admittedly if I lived in London and depended on the tube for getting to work or whatever, my attitude could well be different.
    Who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    johnfinch wrote:

Bit of a typo. Yes I did.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • finchy
    johnfinch wrote:

Bit of a typo. Yes I did.

OK in that case I shall give you a +1. I bet you feel pretty good now.
  • Frank the tank
    Thanks Mr Finch, I can sleep soundly tonight now. :D
    Tail end Charlie

• SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987

Oooh nice Cleggarism... :wink:
  • SteveR_100Milers

Oooh nice Cleggarism... :wink:

Here's my swing-O-Meter:

Brown steps down tomorrow eve, new labour leader announced monday, cleggy says yay, cointry says phew. The deal must have been planned weeks ago, this is all just showboating...if not then the biggest political prostitution ever by the LDs from which they will never ever recover; PR or not.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    .... two generations that have been brainwashed into believing the current system is the only way....

I'll always remember my dad showing me a photo of him his family and friends and they were all dressed in sh1t clothes despite being hard working individuals.

"This is how the tories would have you live, don't ever forget it".

I never have.

Oh, the irony!
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Frank the tank
    RichN95 wrote:
    .... two generations that have been brainwashed into believing the current system is the only way....

I'll always remember my dad showing me a photo of him his family and friends and they were all dressed in sh1t clothes despite being hard working individuals.

"This is how the tories would have you live, don't ever forget it".

I never have.

Oh, the irony!

I appreciate the irony you're alluding to in my post. The thing is the tories have never really done anything to make me change my opinion, they'd have you work for nowt if they could. We'll see how long it takes them to abolish the minimum wage .
    Tail end Charlie

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Labour's just done worse at the poles than KInnock, only just better than Foot did.
    They will now start to knife each other in the back and scrabble around to get ontop of their dung heap.
    I wouldn't be too surprised if the same happened to Clegg.
    There's just been the largest swing to Conservatives in decades.
    I wonder what the swing would have been if they'd put forwards real, Conservative policies and could have stood for election showing that they'd strenuously opposed all of Labour's bad legislation?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • finchy
    I wonder what the swing would have been if they'd put forwards real, Conservative policies and could have stood for election showing that they'd strenuously opposed all of Labour's bad legislation?

What do you mean by real, Conservative policies? One nation Toryism? Thatcherism? If the latter, they would have bombed at the polls. They've spent the last decade and a bit trying to convince people that they've changed.

They'd also have had a hard time showing they'd opposed Labour's bad economic legislation, seeing as they created the neo-liberal system.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    ... There's just been the largest swing to Conservatives in decades. ...
    Does that not show just how far they were behind in the first place?

Anyhoo, what happened to the 20 point lead the Tories had over Labour a year ago? Either Cameron and the Tories bombed, or Brown and Labour fought back and stuffed them.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • SteveR_100Milers
    Labour's just done worse at the poles than KInnock, only just better than Foot did.
    They will now start to knife each other in the back and scrabble around to get ontop of their dung heap.
    I wouldn't be too surprised if the same happened to Clegg.
    There's just been the largest swing to Conservatives in decades.

about as much as putting a Michael Foot-a-like forward as the next leader of the opposition. Times have changed, thankfully society has too to take that extremist crap anymore.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    The irony is that in the "Gordon's gaff" Rochdale constituency of "that bigoted woman", they ousted the sitting Lib Dem MP and elected a Labour one instead — a fact not widely reported in the media (surprise, surprise...).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election ... cy/d71.stm

Maybe Brown should have abandoned his feeble attempts at rictus-faced nice guy electioneering in general and simply been a complete b*stard throughout the campaign.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The irony is that in the "Gordon's gaff" Rochdale constituency of "that bigoted woman", they ousted the sitting Lib Dem MP and elected a Labour one instead — a fact not widely reported in the media (surprise, surprise...).

Hadn't realised that. I think the interesting thing is that we really don't understand the voting rationales that really went on in this election and this is a perfect example of that.

Swings were all over the place and turn out was high. This didn't provide a massive protest vote and huge Tory dominance and LIB Dems made no ground whatsoever. The reporting has been crap. They (journalists) were right about a hung parliament but only by coincidence. They assumed it would happen because the Lib Dems would have 100 seats.

In many cases it makes the argument for PR stronger as at least tacticla voting goes out the window.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    How anyone can say there isn't such a thing as working class anymore is beyond me. Look at all the retail workers on under £11,000 a year who are forced to live with parents because the free market economy we live in means they simply can't afford to rent or buy their own home.

Just seen on the news that GB is resigning as Labour leader! Instantly Labour and Lib Dem are opening formal talks
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    I don't think you can blame the free market economy for retail workers not being able to afford their own homes, the ridiculous value of houses (and I benefit from the ridiculous value), is caused by there being an under-supply of houses. Not just a small under supply but a dirty great big under supply, if there was a market led solution we would build more houses, but planning considerations reduce the amount of building plots available, we have more people on the Island, hence increased demand and the inflated house prices.

If the bloody Conservatives in the eighties had let councils build new housing stock with the funds received from the sale of council houses and re-invest in new stock then we would be in a different situation. Again my parents benefited from right to buy, so I am not knocking it, also when I was a nipper council/social housing was not seen as a bad thing, getting rid of any stupid stigma about social housing and then actually providing decent social housing is a good first step.
  • Frank the tank
    House prices are obviously dictated by supply and demand but also crutially IMHO how much the building society/bank will lend you. If they could only lend a maximum of x3 the main bread winners wage that would keep prices down.
    Tail end Charlie

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just seen the news, the resignation and now the formal talks. Politicians think we are stupid. I am sick of it all and it is only going to get worse.

A government made from the 2 losing parties, excrement. :x
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    edited May 2010
    We'll keep the red flag flying :? even though we can't afford a new one :D .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8VON8bI ... re=related
    Just think the lady one the LEFT might be running the Country in 6 months

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG23JMoskHw
    bagpuss
  • cedar404
    cedar404 Posts: 176
    Anyone else see Adam Boulton lose it in almost spectacular fashion with Alistair Campbell ? A joke of a reporter on a pseudo news channel.

Got a bit worried for Adam's health at one point - looked close to a heart attack.
  • Not just a small under supply but a dirty great big under supply, if there was a market led solution we would build more houses, but planning considerations reduce the amount of building plots available, we have more people on the Island, hence increased demand and the inflated house prices.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    There are plenty of houses in England.
    Just not in the S.E. Why not decentralise?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Holy thread resurrection Batman.

Given the thread title and the current situation in New Old Labour, I reckon we've got this one covered over in Cake Stop :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Not just a small under supply but a dirty great big under supply, if there was a market led solution we would build more houses, but planning considerations reduce the amount of building plots available, we have more people on the Island, hence increased demand and the inflated house prices.

not sure local government would agree - they point out that there is significant backlog of unbuilt permits.

If you ran a building company and owned the site, but knew the government was going to run a policy encouraging rising house prices (otherwise known as getting the housing market moving) would you build now or later when you could sell for a higher price? On the other hand if it was known that at some time in the future policy changes would cause prices to fall significantly would you not build them now?

The government seems to think inflation is good because it means people will spend now rather than at a higher price later, but in the case of houses it works the opposite way round , it causes houses not to be built because of higher prices later.