Labour's last gasp?...

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Another election in October.

A coalition won't last.

+1

I hope Clegg does get around the table with Brown and agree a coalition. One in the eye for Cameron.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    You think it'll last that long?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Smokin Joe wrote:

A coalition won't last.
    This election, after the Lib's opinion poll surge, should have been the turning point for them. It didn't happen. They must wonder, after all the false dawns of the past, if they will ever become the official opposition (or better) under the current electoral system. They must surely conclude no, and re-evaluate their position.

They should embrace coalition on the proviso of a referendum of electoral reform, and until that is delivered, they should be pretty much cooperative with Labour. If they join a coalition but throw their toys out of the pram at an early hurdle, they will effectively condemn themselves to a further century in the political wilderness. This is their big chance to get PR, and maybe their last chance - they should (if they are smart) grab it with both hands and not let go until they get it.
  • Cressers
    If Cameron doesn't phone the Queen to demand an audience, the Tories, as the largest party could, with support from the 'others', force a vote of no confidence and disolve parliament.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    alfablue wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

A coalition won't last.
    This election, after the Lib's opinion poll surge, should have been the turning point for them. It didn't happen. They must wonder, after all the false dawns of the past, if they will ever become the official opposition (or better) under the current electoral system. They must surely conclude no, and re-evaluate their position.

They should embrace coalition on the proviso of a referendum of electoral reform, and until that is delivered, they should be pretty much cooperative with Labour. If they join a coalition but throw their toys out of the pram at an early hurdle, they will effectively condemn themselves to a further century in the political wilderness. This is their big chance to get PR, and maybe their last chance - they should (if they are smart) grab it with both hands and not let go until they get it.

Ja. Dreadful night for the Lib Dems.

Victim of the classic two party squeeze when elections get close, but I think there are deeper issues than that > 'liberal' left of centre ideology is not in tune with enough people in the UK. The UK is fundamentally NOT, left of centre liberal. They may like the way their leader performs on TV, but they do not want their politics.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Cressers wrote:
    How can you 'check the rules' when we have no written constitution?
    That's the point: as we have no constitution to dictate otherwise, Brown is still PM until he resigns - something he would be forced to do if the queen's speech was voted down or he lost a vote of no confidence.
  • Cressers
    ...or there was a mass viral BROWN OUT! campaign...
  • alfablue
    Cressers wrote:
    If Cameron doesn't phone the Queen to demand an audience, the Tories, as the largest party could, with support from the 'others', force a vote of no confidence and disolve parliament.
    The "Others" on the whole (according to Jeremy Vine's analysis) have less reason to support the conservatives in such a scenario - only if the Libs voted with them would this succeed, and the Libs will only vote with them if they get what they want. Cameron has already burned what bridges there were . . . of course he could sell out, but that won't give him any longevity in office, or esteem within the right of his party (the currently silent majority).
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited May 2010
    Cressers wrote:
    ...or there was a mass viral BROWN OUT! campaign...

In the event of a LibLab coalition Clegg has already said that he wont prop up Brown - Brown is finished - so that leaves either Clegg as PM or somebody like Miliband. However, Miliband hasn't been elected as PM by the Great British Public .......... - it'd be a total farce......

Cameron will be PM quite soon.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    The Lib Dem vote support always looked too soft to last, as it was based on Clegg's boy next-door appeal in the first debate. They turned out to be just as evasive as the others when pressed about what they would do on the economy if elected and their immigration policy lost them many votes.
  • Mettan
    The Tories have plenty more cash for a 2nd election....... - Labour and the LibDems..... don't - the Press would slaughter Clegg next time around - no more softball.
  • Cressers
    I predict that if the next election is sooner, before PR is in place, the Lib-Dems will be creamed and it'll be back to two-party politics. Perhaps Cameron and the unelected Commissar have more in common and more of a joint interest in a second, quick, let's sort this out once and for all snap contest?
  • alfablue
    I can see a snap election just returning another hung parliament.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    well i think that no matter what we need a strong goverment.
    Clegg has said that he would support the party with the most seats.

I can see a conservitive-lib dem coalition to get brown out. This will last till the conservatives try to make big cuts in spending or wanting to pull away from the EU. The coaltion will break down and we are in new ellection time.... people will be pissed at the coalition for breaking up and labor will be back in with a new leader.... brown will be in the US doing after dinner speaches.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Cressers
    edited May 2010
    Not so, because now the lesson has been demonstrated that tactical voting leads to this impasse. Next time the electorate will return to their tribal loyalties as well as 'punishing' the Lib-dems for not being the force for change that they claimed to be, in the words of Cameron, "Voting for Clegg will get you Brown".

He has been proved right.
  • Mettan
    Cressers wrote:
    as well as 'punishing' the Lib-dems

Agreed.
  • alfablue
    Cressers wrote:
    Not so, because now the lesson has been demonstrated that tactical voting leads to this impasse. Next time the electorate will return to their tribal loyalties as well as 'punishing' the Lib-dems for not being the force for change that they claimed to be, in the words of Cameron, "Voting for Clegg will get you Brown".

Except they didn't vote for Clegg . . .
  • Cressers
    Enough did in the right areas...

...and that is all it takes. Change 10,000 votes (a safe margin just to be sure) in the right marginals and you have a change of goverment...

Democracy eh?
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Mettan wrote:
    Cressers wrote:
    as well as 'punishing' the Lib-dems

Agreed.
    +2

"Go home and prepare for oblivion".
  • Bikerbaboon
    clegg has just said he will not suppport a labour goverment.
  • Cressers
    That is just an opening gambit...
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Cressers wrote:

My impression is that they've already returned. Any tactical voting went to Labour as folk realised that voting Clegg'll get you Cameron, and the Lib's surge evaporated.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Mettan
    Cressers wrote:

The ball is now in Cameron's court - if he can bend enough to suit the LibDems, Cameron becomes PM quite soon. Will Cameron be able to carry his party with him - the tension mounts :wink:
  • Cressers
    That's another valid way of looking at it. However, I doubt if the electorate, having seen what has happened this time, will want to see this again.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Cressers wrote:

I dont know he said before the ellection that the party with the most seats should be in power.

Now after the ellection he has repeated the same thing.
  • Cressers
    If Brown were to offer more of what he wants than Cameron he'd switch sides just like that...
  • Mettan
    edited May 2010
    But Clegg has already said that he wont prop Brown up. (almost categorically) - Brown is toast. If Brown goes, and Clegg does a deal with Labour, will he really want to foist an Unelected Miliband onto the British people (as PM). Alternately, it really would be stretching reality to imagine Clegg becoming PM. There'd be uproar. I suppose Johnson could be a temporary leader in a liblab coalition (to deliver electoral reform) - then go to the polls within 12 months (but with another leader, Miliband?) - all a bit messy.
  • alfablue
    Cressers wrote:
    That's another valid way of looking at it. However, I doubt if the electorate, having seen what has happened this time, will want to see this again.
    the electorate may not want it, but it is not a single cohesive body capable of acting in an organised way. For every tactical voter that desists, there is likely to be another new one that sees i as the answer.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Mettan wrote:
    ....If Brown goes, and Clegg does a deal with Labour, will he really want to foist an Unelected Miliband onto the British people (as PM).....

I assume you mean David Milliband.

As the MP for South Shields he is elected?

Bob
  • Mettan
    beverick wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    ....If Brown goes, and Clegg does a deal with Labour, will he really want to foist an Unelected Miliband onto the British people (as PM).....

I assume you mean David Milliband.

As the MP for South Shields he is elected?

Bob

I phrased that incorrectly - I meant somebody who hasn't run for PM :wink: