Giro "Big Name" to be Busted

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Pellitzotti's suspect data apparently comes from last July, so he's safe for the Giro podium. Not that he can credibly claim to have been riding clean on his way to the podium.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    RichN95 wrote:
    Some riders have been caught doping, but we are still left with the situation that 'big names' aren't caught and are protected.

An Italian favourite for the Giro - small fry. Where are the big names? The UCI are covering everything up as usual.

Lots of big names have been caught over the last 5-6 years - Basso, Ulrich, Landis, Vinokourov, Pellizotti, Ricco just off the top of my head.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    Some riders have been caught doping, but we are still left with the situation that 'big names' aren't caught and are protected.

An Italian favourite for the Giro - small fry. Where are the big names? The UCI are covering everything up as usual.

Lots of big names have been caught over the last 5-6 years - Basso, Ulrich, Landis, Vinokourov, Pellizotti, Ricco just off the top of my head.

I know. I was being sarcastic. A lot of people (not so much here) go on about how the big names are never caught - by which they mean one rider and one rider only.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,475
    RichN95 wrote:
    I know. I was being sarcastic. A lot of people (not so much here) go on about how the big names are never caught - by which they mean one rider and one rider only.

Valverde?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Valverde?

He was caught. He just seems to get away with it.

Didn't know jack about this latest drugs bust til today. Very entertaining thread. Dunno why anyone would be convinced that Pelizotti was riding clean.

So who are the other riders on the list?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,475
    Surely Pellizotti's haircut offered enough evidence to prove he was a wrong 'un?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Oh right - too early for me !

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    iainf72 wrote:

"they had detected an increase in his oxygen transference based on blood test results obtained between May 19, 2008, and September 27, 2009"

I thought "It was so tough, I was breathing through my@rse" was just an expression?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    So far, all quiet on the doping front, today.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Valverde?

No. They mean the biggest fish in the pond - Armstrong
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So far, all quiet on the doping front, today.

Liquigas don't agree with the action

Further to the statement made yesterday by the Union Cycliste Internationale concerning Franco Pellizotti, Liquigas Sport would like to announce that it acknowledges the decision made by the responsible authorities in compliance with their current regulations.
    In order to fully understand the situation and the factors which led to this decision, Liquigas Sport has tasked its own physician, Doctor Roberto Corsetti, to analyse the medical and scientific aspects relating to this case. According to current analyses, the evidence which has been presented does not seem to scientifically prove with certainty any improper conduct by the athlete. Liquigas Sport has faith in the explanations that will be provided by Franco Pellizotti and by the experts whom he has hired.
    Liquigas Sport is extremely disappointed about the action that has been taken, with particular reference to the untimely notification of the athlete’s alleged abnormal values. These values actually date back to the summer of 2009 but have only now been made public on the eve of such an important engagement.
    Pending further developments and until the final ruling is announced, Liquigas Sport would like to state that it is ready to immediately take all legal action necessary in order to safeguard its image, as it has already done in recent months: both with regard to the cyclist should any improper conduct on his behalf be confirmed and also with regard to the authorities and institutions which may have unjustly caused this damage.
    Liquigas Sport also hopes that the final decision will be made in reasonable time so that it may intervene as quickly as possible with suitable action against the authorities concerned
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • And on the other side of the Atlantic, riders are getting ready to start the Tour of California sponsored by one of the worlds largest producers of EPO.

I'm sure that there is something pretty dodgy about all of this but just can't put my finger on it.....
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    And on the other side of the Atlantic, riders are getting ready to start the Tour of California sponsored by one of the worlds largest producers of EPO.

I'm sure that there is something pretty dodgy about all of this but just can't put my finger on it.....

Eh? Don't think somehow a pharmaceutical company would want to showcase their products within cycling. EPO isn't manufactured for cyclists to dope with.

EPO doping in cycling is a misuse of the product.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Doobz wrote:
    We'll see. Given a rider has had time to put their defence to the panel, presumably* the UCI would only be acting on the cases where they are 100% of prosecuting and where no excuse can cut it.

bios_townspeople_wiggum.gif
    * I say presumably because with Pat "Chief Wiggum" McQuaid in charge, you just can't be sure.
  • blazing_saddles
    IF and its a big if, Liquigas were unaware of the situation, as they state, then I agree with them, entirely.
    This eve of the Giro unveiling, 10 months after the fact, hits the entire team with maximum impact.
    It's hard not to feel sorry for Vince Nibs, who now has to ride an unscheduled 3 week monster. They guy has been riding since February and was looking forward to a rest in California!

So California will lose it's big Liquigas name. I'm not sure that's what Pat had in mind, when he instigated his cunning plan. :P
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:

Gives a new meaning to being on the 'roids.

What's the deal with Sconamigagligiogligio anyway? ISD say he nor the team have had any notification.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    It's hard not to feel sorry for Vince Nibs, who now has to ride an unscheduled 3 week monster. They guy has been riding since February and was looking forward to a rest in California!

Just a thought...

Isn't this similar to how Contador won the Giro in 2008? Called up at the last moment when he was on holidays. Nibali was strong in the Tour last year. Does he have a chance for the overall at the Giro?
  • Doobz
    Seems the excuses are comming out now.. I wonder if they produce the so called Certificates now they will be cleared?

Tadej Valjavec wrote this on his forum..
    Tadej unfortunately will not be among the participants Giro

I have no words. In any case, I believe only one. My sports career has ended. Everything I have tried is to wash your own name. In the last season I was sick most of the season and had consequently very low hematocrit. While I was on the medical certificate of health problems, a doctor in our team did not do their work. Certificate is not forwarded to the International cycling union, which then began proceedings against me. I can not believe how it is possible that the system does not work and this can happen. Even when I was 19th April last year, came to control the House, was made a bunch of procedural errors. In the previous report, I clearly stated that I'll be home between 18 and 19 hour in the evening. Just that day I was present at night in the hospital for the birth of her daughter Clare so that I had turned off the phone. The rules are such that the controllers would have to come over this time period. Since I was not, he should automatically get a yellow card and the case was closed. Since I was in the hospital, I later returned the call and asked controllers that still passed inspection. The fact is that if any concealed, it would be better to get a yellow card. I am not so stupid, so it really can not believe how this is happening. The fact is that I'm the sacrificial lamb. But today I got a message to the UCI that the proposed opening of the proceedings against me.
    cartoon.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Interesting. I am quite ready to believe that there are errors from other people involved but will reserve judgement until all settled. Either way, this should have been done much earlier this year if possible - what if they have issues with people who were working to the Giro as their first major goal and then they subsequently get shown to be innocent. That being said, it is probably worse not to do it at all until after the Giro and then to take down someone who took part and did well in the Giro
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Everyone involved supposedly had a chance to go before the UCI to explain their dodgy values already. So you would THINK if they were innocent they would have been cleared already.

The UCI did not announce their names publicly and then say - OK please explain yourselves...

They were called to the carpet in advance - and presumably their stories didn't hold water - so now they have to face the music.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Pokerface wrote:
    Everyone involved supposedly had a chance to go before the UCI to explain their dodgy values already. So you would THINK if they were innocent they would have been cleared already.

The UCI did not announce their names publicly and then say - OK please explain yourselves...

They were called to the carpet in advance - and presumably their stories didn't hold water - so now they have to face the music.

Glad I'm not on the UCI committee if Rosendo showed them his excuse...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    DaveyL wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

:lol::lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol::lol:
  • Doobz
    DaveyL wrote:

Would be like Goatse all over again
    cartoon.jpg
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    afx237vi wrote:
    What's the deal with Sconamigagligiogligio anyway? ISD say he nor the team have had any notification.

Looks like someone got it a bit wrong...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-con ... sport-case
  • blazing_saddles
    So that dodgy Eyetalian team wasn't dodgy, eh Iain?
    Certainly cleaner than Cadel Evans's lot.:P
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Given that only three have been named instead of 6 i was wondering if maybe the other three had received letters asking for explanations but managed to come up with a reason that got them out of it. This could then explain why the ISD rider was involved. However, reading the cyclingnews article makes it sound like he isnt involved at any stage. Could depend on the exact wording though
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2010
    Liquigas have pulled Bennati with no reason given.
    Ah........the reason is a muscle injury, apparently.
    http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1296/Giro/arti ... eker.dhtml
  • blazing_saddles
    UCI under fire from Pellizotti. He is claiming that "experts" were not all in agreement and that only 3 thought there was a case to answer.
    http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/04-05-2 ... 0570.shtml

The bio passport to go under the microscope?