Decent recovery drink??

Chrissz
Chrissz Posts: 727
Any suggestions?

Must taste ok mixed with water and can't be lemon/orange flavour!

I'm leaning towards SIS Rego rapid but I'm open to suggestions/recommendations :)

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I use a protein shake, post ride.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Guinness!

Failing that, I like the forgoodnesss shakes milkshakes. I am about to try the powder versions, as they use skimmed milk powder so lower is sat. fats. The liquid shakes are much tastier than the warm SIS REGO that I drank this evening... :(
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Scien ... 300001063/

On special offer too. The chocolate is very tasty
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    Rego is pretty good, been using it for a couple of years now. It's great to have something like that, that you can get ready in a few seconds when you get back from a ride.
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    I'm using Zipvit Chocolate, doesn't taste great but seems to be doing a decent job.

Includes colostrum to help fight infections and is whey based:

http://www.zipvit.co.uk/cgi-bin/popuppr ... 20Sterling
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    choc forgoodnessshakes

lovely

more of a treat than a drink :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    edited April 2010
    The best tasting one i have tried is Lucozade recovery in tropical flavour (red top) its almost like drinking fruit juice. Ive tried, sis which i would buy again, zipvit again wouldnt buy again.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Although not really a recovery drink, beer sure does pump a bunch of cheap carbs
    into your body really quickly. Thus making you feel better after a long ride. And yes, I know this isn't really the way to go but what the h*ll. :wink::wink:
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    maddog 2 wrote:
    choc forgoodnessshakes

lovely

+1

And noticed in the Wiggle email that they now have a powder version - probably cheaper than even the Tesco £1 per bottle offers!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • rvokes
    rvokes Posts: 36
    dennisn wrote:
    Although not really a recovery drink, beer sure does pump a bunch of cheap carbs
    into your body really quickly. Thus making you feel better after a long ride. And yes, I know this isn't really the way to go but what the h*ll. :wink::wink:

+1... and I know quite a few pros who swear by a nice cold beer... chocolate milk (half milk/half soya) works a treat for me... and you can get it most places!
  • TommyEss wrote:
    maddog 2 wrote:
    choc forgoodnessshakes

lovely

+1

And noticed in the Wiggle email that they now have a powder version - probably cheaper than even the Tesco £1 per bottle offers!

+2
    and the powdered one is based upon skimmed milk, not semi-skimmed, so the overall fat and saturated fat content is significantly lower too.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    you should avoid anything with lactose in for recovery drinks as it messes up the absorption and muscle repair.

I recommend SiS rego and rego rapid, some of my rowers prefer the High5 stuff though.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Matrix Syntrax whey protein 5.0. You can use it with milk or water and works a treat for me. bananas and cream flavour is also very nice.
  • you should avoid anything with lactose in for recovery drinks as it messes up the absorption and muscle repair.

No, it doesn't.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • you should avoid anything with lactose in for recovery drinks as it messes up the absorption and muscle repair.

No, it doesn't.

+1
  • smithy1.0
    smithy1.0 Posts: 439
    As a long term user of SIS Rego, I tried out Endurox R4 the other day as it's meant to be the *shit*, and it sure does work well! 2x1hr sessions on the same day, took Endurox after the first one, on the second session my legs felt fresh as a daisy. Rego works pretty well too though.
  • micken
    micken Posts: 275
    you should avoid anything with lactose in for recovery drinks as it messes up the absorption and muscle repair.

Absorption of what and what's the link to the evidence for this please?
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    high5%20protein%20recovery%20sc.jpg

Tastes good (but not sure if it works.)
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    I got a tub of Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard Whey and its the best recovery drink I've tried. Mixes really well and the Chocolate tastes great.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Just milk usually, those recovery drinks and that make no difference to me what so ever.
  • Anonymous
    freehub wrote:
    Just milk usually, those recovery drinks and that make no difference to me what so ever.

Have you taken the Whey challenge at Holland and barrett, very interesting, I'll see if i can find the link..
  • If you want to make a home made version, which is much cheaper long term then I've posted the recipe on my site:
    http://raceright.cc/2010/04/29/recovery-drink-recipe/

It's also got the positive of being able to change the flavour to suit your taste.

I'd be interested in hearing back on what people think of it too.

Thanks,
  • Rapha
    Rapha Posts: 86
    High5 ProteinRecovery Banana Vanilla flavour. Tastes great and works a treat. Mix with water for quick absorption or with milk for a slow release (eg over night feeding).

Have tried Rego before but found it was very lumpy. Don't know if anyone else has those problems?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I find Rego clumps terribly if the bottle's wet when you first add the powder - even shaking and banging fails to release it all - I'd try adding it to water alreay in the bottle - but that does make measuring the powder somewhat trickier!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    I use Complan milkshakes.

My logic being that they are designed for people recovering from illness, so they should help me recover from cycling.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Thanks for the pointers guys - I've gone for SIS Rego (choc) - got a large(ish) ride on Monday (Kent Air Ambulance/San Fairey Anne Sportive) so I'll be experimenting with it a little then. :)
  • Save your money

1 cup semi-skim milk
    add 2 tablespoons skim milk powder
    1/2 banana + tsp vanilla essence
    or 1/2 tin apricots
    or 2 tespoons Milo (mix with drop of hot water then add to shake)
    Jason C. Kitchen BSc.
    Health and Sports Nutritionist
    http://www.jcknutritionists.com/
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    didn't bikeradar do an article recently that said 'drink some mik' and that it worked pretty well on its' own???

surely if you want to get some glucose in there as well then like your man said, put some natural honey in there and stir it hard to emulsify it in the liquid as much as possible

or a pint of bitter :-) mmmm black sheep.....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Anonymous
    Chrissz wrote:
    Thanks for the pointers guys - I've gone for SIS Rego (choc) - got a large(ish) ride on Monday (Kent Air Ambulance/San Fairey Anne Sportive) so I'll be experimenting with it a little then. :)

I'm riding that on May 2 as well. Hope the weather picks up a little.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    edhornby wrote:
    didn't bikeradar do an article recently that said 'drink some mik' and that it worked pretty well on its' own???

surely if you want to get some glucose in there as well then like your man said, put some natural honey in there and stir it hard to emulsify it in the liquid as much as possible

or a pint of bitter :-) mmmm black sheep.....

I generally have a glass of milk and a protein bar.