How healthy/fit are you..

Comments

• RealMan
    Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:40 pm Post subject:
    Was that sportive this weekend (or the one before..)?

Was going to do that, but was busy, how was it?

Yeah it was (http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12684543). It was really good managed the standard route (57 miles) in 3 h 1 min - pretty pleased with the time :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I got a new keyboard and just random ones stop working!

The lowest my pulse ever was was 37bpm, but beta blockers had a say in that.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    smoke:no
    alcohol:occasinaly get abit of beer or a glass of champagne on a birthday or new year
    food: varied diet: meat,fruit and veg, sweets,pasta etc. realy get kfc or mcds and sometimes fish and chips
    drink: water, juice and coke
    exercise: ride everyday, play tennis everyday, play footie most days, run a few times a month, swim during the summer and bit of working out everyday, hopefully should go gym next year
    other problems: school and homework although now it's lighter for longer so i can fit in abit more than normal and not much really

i think i'm healthy. i'm like the 4th fastest XC runner in my year and possibly the best cyclist in my school :lol: . i just need more muscles tbh, i'm a skiny twa*
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    jay12 wrote:
    i just need more muscles tbh, i'm a skiny twa*

Your 14, I wouldn't worry about that just yet. :lol:

I didn't start putting on muscle till a good year after I left school, around 17 when I started roofing.
  • jay12
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    jay12 wrote:

I didn't start putting on muscle till a good year after I left school, around 17 when I started roofing.
    yeah but muscels=girls 8)
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    and girls = trouble!!!!!! :lol:
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    andyrm wrote:

You sir, have spoken words wiser than most will care to contemplate.
  • jay12
    andyrm wrote:
    thats true as well :lol:
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Smoke: no.
    Alcohol: yes, cider, wine, beer sometimes a bit much but I'm being good recently
    Food: Pretty much anything I want/fancy eating other than mushrooms as they're evil :lol:
    Drink: water or Robinsons Sugar free stuff or Milk
    Exercise: commute 18 miles every day on a SS, plenty of weekend miles on the road and MTB.
    Other problems: Nope

Willy wave: I've got my lung age from being 32 when I was 30 to 28 at the last check 3 months ago - I'm 33 next month. Fittest I've been since leaving school too :D
  • legin
    legin Posts: 132
    well i can say without doubt im healthy a few years back they ran a complete health check for free in work i was the first to recieve it and consequently they wanted to test me again a year or two later then ironically i was contacted by a goverment research project and had a third complete check.
    all the results were good i had a book explaining the full works it was interesting reading.
    im nearly 45 have perfect blood pressure a resting heart rate of 50 and fit enough to complete du athlons granted i dont break any records but ill continue training till i cant or im told not to.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,774
    Smoke: never
    Alcohol: once a week on average. Don't drink at home.
    Food: Generally good as the wife's a health food nut and cooks really healthy stuff. Enjoy the odd choc bar or bag of crisps though.
    Drink: Mainly water; tea/coffee once or twice a day, usually to get me going at work in the mornings
    Exercise: 2-3 bike commutes a week, 25 miles each way. MTBing on the weekends or a quick bash after work in the summer; weights/sit ups/press ups/dips etc 3 times a week at home; run occasionally if can't get on the bike.
    Other problems: 2 slipped discs in the last 8 years have made me go easy on running and give up tennis.

Hardly willy waving, but I weigh in at 150lbs (5'10"), have a flat stomach, no specs and all my own hair - aged 44 :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I'll probably have a massive coronary up Cwmcarn some time - not a bad way to go.

Better than sitting in a home cr4pping in a bag not knowing who you are (my biggest fear)

Smoke - Not anymore
    Drink - Too Much but not as much as I did
    Food - I eat fairly healthy with lots of veg and pasta etc but I don't deny myself pizzas, curry or chinese
    Exercise - I commute every day to work and try to get a 25 - 50 mile ride in each weekend (MTB or Road Bike) I'll add in a gentle recovery ride in at the start of the week and then a ride where I push it a bit later on.
    Other Problems - work gets in the way a bit :roll: but it pays the bills so I can't complaing too much
  • Doombrain
    Doombrain Posts: 360
    Smoke: no.
    Alcohol: no.
    Food: no fast food or sweets.
    Drink: only fresh spring water.
    Exercise: 7 days, always 3+ hours.
    Other problems: Run, golf, rugby and football.
    Marrying: super model
    Wage: more than you

Willy wave: babys arm holding apple
    LOL road riding.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    jay12 wrote:

Thats alright, your right or left arm (depends on what you use) will soon have a big bulging bicep.

Keep it up at least 5 times a night and you're onto a winner.
  • Itsari
    Itsari Posts: 346
    Smoke: Nah...
    Alcohol: Yeah, not often though.
    Food: I love stodge - Is that bad? Try and keep healthy but poor budget/love of food isn't helping
    Drink: Smoothies n Pop.
    Exercise:Try and get out for a Ride each day and I smash out a big ride or 3 on the weekend
    Other problems: Smashed my shoulders up late 08/mid 09 gives me massive jipp every so often...(Doc's said they were just bruised on both occasions -.-)...Is being lazy a problem?

Willy Wave...Its more of a salute from a fascist regime...
  • Black
    Black Posts: 172
    I Cross train twice a week and ride an hr, two to three days a week
    and try to ride 25 miles approx on Saturday
    Dont smoke ,drink very little and drink loads of water each day.
    I also eat healthy
  • jay12
    Briggo wrote:
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    jay12 wrote:

Thats alright, your right or left arm (depends on what you use) will soon have a big bulging bicep.

erm..thanks for the tip?
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    edited April 2010
    Smoke:hell no.
    Alcohol: no
    Food: kfc on the rare occassion apart from that its the usual veg, meat,fish, rice, chicken
    Drink: juice, milk. i need an alternative to coffee to drink at work
    Exercise: at the moment its simple circuit training 1 evening each week
    Other problems: very little endurance, i was a roadie last year.
    "willy wave": im a bit over 9 stone.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,774
    Briggo wrote:

Do you really need to tell that to a teenager ?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Smoke= yes
    Alcohol= yes, Strongbow, but only until drunk
    Food= fruit and veg from market, hens, cows, pigs and lambykins.homewheat or flapjack for tastyness and the odd pizza
    Drink= Tea, juice and water. Cant get fresh spring so make do with bottle or tap
    Exercise= 12 hour shifts of hard graft, as much biking as possible and playing with my 5 yr old boy. commute by bike but its not far in the winter, the summer usually gets extended
    Other Problems= goes at my own pace but will push myself once i know I wont blow and not enjoy the ride.
    Willy wave= a brief withdraw followed by a tap tap tap then back to it.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Iwingstein
    Iwingstein Posts: 111
    Smoke: No - quit three years ago
    Alcohol: No - quit 23 years ago after a heavy 21st birthday
    Food: As a rule, a fairly crap diet Mon to Fri cereal/soup toast for tea. No b/fast. Lunch sarny crisps and snickers. Healthy food at weekend
    Drink: Tea with 2 sugars/Diet coke (yeah, go figure). Tap water on bike
    Exercise: Nowhere near what I'd planned so doing 2500 to 5000m in the pool a week (s/be 7500m) and maybe 20 miles on bike (which should be 80!)
    Other problems: Yeah temperamental knees/ cramps (when swimming). Deffo overweight by 3 stones would be better, be over the moon with 5 stone lighter. May start next week.

ATB

Simon
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Smoke: Not any more, er, never cigarettes ;)
    Alcohol: sometimes. Used to be a lot more
    Food: decent enough, some junk food but my diet's quite controlled with my diabetes and coeliac disease so it's healthy stuff mostly. Too many curries!
    Drink :Water, fair amount of milk for the calcium, lots of diet coke, occasional coffee
    Exercise: Commute by bike 3 times a week, 7 mile round trip but a big climb. Some light weights and other general exercises. At least one decent sized ride a week- either a long ride or a shorter one ridden harder.
    Other problems: As above, diabetes and coeliac disease. The coeliac caused calcium deficiency which caused osteoperosis so I break a bit easily. Right leg's a big ****ed, broken hip 4 years ago which was pinned, but the surgery took out some muscle and some mobility and had a knock-on effect on the knee. Which I then put a stage 2 ACL tear in my dropping a motorbike on it. Grr.

Still. I'm 30, I work in an office, I've drunk too much and I was never in great shape so considering how smashed up my leg is I do pretty well. Still only 130lbs and I can generally keep up with the able bodied folks so I'm happy with that. I'll never be all that strong but I do well enough with what I have left.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    smokes, a couple a day
    alcohol, the odd bottle of beer and a couple of pints a couple of times a weeks.
    diet, well balanced with maybe too much chocolate and the odd fizzy drink. though it is usually spring water and I don't eat pre processed food.
    Execise four freeweight sessions a week, usual bench press 110kgs 4x40 reps the rest is a similar level, four punch bag sessions, MA club every other week, two run/walk/climb/freerun sessions on the sand dunes, oh and couple of MTB rides a week.

I am pretty fit but also a wreck at the same time lots of knackered joints which need the movement and controlled impact to stop them siezing up, it'sall about when I have the pain.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Smoke: no.Smoked for about 10 years but gave up about 15 years ago.
    Alcohol: Yes like abeer,but only once a week
    Food: Being very good at the moment and eating a lot of sushi,fish and salad.Lost 1 1/2 stone since January
    Drink: Water,squash or tea
    Exercise: Currently training for my first triathlon so currently,2 x 4 mile runs,2 x 1km swims and 1 bike ride a week.Ride to and from station everyday,and with kids,walk 1-2 miles everyday.Some core/fitness ball exercises once or twice a week too.
    Other problems:None

Willy wave: Ran my first ever 6 mile run last week in 42 minutes.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Craggle T
    Craggle T Posts: 18
    Smoke - No

Alcohol - Not very often, but if i do its normally Magner's or Bulmer's

Food - Love chicken and rice, trying to cut down on the chocolate and junk

Drink - Mainly water or orange squash/juice

Exercise - Cycle to work everyday and that's about it at the moment

Other problems - Dodgy left knee
    Craig.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Smoke: No.
    Alcohol: No
    Food: 75% vgetarian diet, follow a strict low/no sugar diet, no junk or processed food.
    Drink: Water, Lucazade Sport when exercising, red/green tea, I do like a nice Cafe Latte though (my only vice).
    Exercise: Currently ride 22 miles a day commuting, off road riding fun at the weekends. Walk the dog about 5 miles each evening.
    Other problems: Where to start...I'm an insulin dependant Type1 diatebic, I'm currently suffering from 'frozen shoulder'. I have arthritis in both thumbs and a couple of my fingers. I suffer from Chondromalacia patellae in my left knee (frequent riding keeps it supple) and I tore my left calf muscle a few years ago, which prevents me from running now. But apart from that, I'm 46, still enjoy both riding and racing on my bikes and have a reasting HR that's lower than my age.. :D
  • Pork Sword
    Pork Sword Posts: 213
    Smoke: Only when I forget to use lubrication...
    Drink: Hardly ever!
    Food: I eat absolutely anything and everything... so I'm not exactly a lightweight!
    Drink: Green tea, orange juice and a bit of Pepsi Max every now and then.
    Exercise: Bike a minimum of 10 hours per week and plan to do some running and gym work over the Summer in prepartion for hopefully taking part in a bit of cross this winter.
    Problems: Dodgy right knee.

However, I have been prone to chest infections so far this year (one which lingered for 5 weeks needing antibiotics to help shift it and one that I've just shifted after 2 weeks) which has kind of curtailed any plans I had to get fit for any early season races/TT's that I had planned, so perhaps all this exercise mullarky isn't all it's cracked up to be?

Fit doesn't necessarily mean healthy in my experience but I'm sure I'm healthier and fitter than I would be if I smoked and drank heavily and did no exercise at all.
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    Smoke: Never. Disgusting habit.
    Alcohol: Haven't had a drink during the week for years, every other weekend i'll go on a bit of a bender but thats the most I can handle now.
    Food: My metabolism is absolutely ridiculous so I can get away with eating anything and not put on a pound. Literally the last time I was out of work all I did was sleep till the early afternoon, eat biscuits, crisps and pot noodles and sit on the computer all day and I lost a stone and half from lost muscle mass. I really struggle with gaining weight, but I still love fruit and veg and normally get a good 3-4 portions a day minimum.
    Drink: Dont do coffee anymore, dont do fizzy drinks. It's all about Oasis, chocolate milkshake and gay flavoured Twinigs tea for me.
    Exercise: Well I work on a building site so I get a good physical workout every day. Got into a good habit of doing a few sets of sit ups and push ups before I get in the shower every night. Gym twice a week and on the bike every weekend.

Overall i'd say i'm of an above average/high level of fitness. My cardio needs some work but my endurance and recovery time is great, so even if I do gass out it only takes a couple of minutes before i'm ready to rock again.

I'm going to steal this as I'm so similar.....

Smoke: Never. Disgusting habit. Yep

Alcohol: Haven't had a drink during the week for years, every other weekend i'll go on a bit of a bender but thats the most I can handle now. Yep

Food: My metabolism is absolutely ridiculous so I can get away with eating anything and not put on a pound. I really struggle with gaining weight, but I still love fruit and veg and normally get a good 3-4 portions a day minimum. Yep I'm near enough 6ft, weigh 10 stone and eat loads, my brother is exactly the same. Good genes I guess. It means I'm a real skinny bugger though. But I do eat healthily, not through an obsession, but just because I like food that's fairly good for me. No tofu and mung bean salads, but I'm never too desperate to get Dominos or McDonalds.

Drink: I'll normally drink about 4 cups of coffee (instant) during the day at work. Along with plenty of water. If I have a 'proper' coffee then that's usually enough caffeine for the whole day.

Exercise:I've increased the amount I've been doing this year. I'm aiming for 30 miles a week on the bike, which translates into 3 local evening rides. The other week, during the sunny weather, I went out 8 times in 9 days and did 70 miles in a week. I don't do it for 'training', I do it because I love it. Seriously, I could feel myself getting grumpy and snapping at people when I had a few days off the bike after that. My local rides are always on my own, so it's done at my own pace, which makes it a bit hard to judge how hard I'm trying.

I'm not a member of a gym because I'd rather be out on the bike than on a treadmill, and I don't have enough time with work and everything else to ride as much as I'd want, so there's no point in paying for something I won't really use. I could do with getting on the weights though, but I'd feel stupid surrounded by hulks with my stringy arms :wink: So for now it's pushups (120 a day) and dumbells at home.

Overall i'd say i'm of an above average/high level of fitness. My cardio needs some work but my endurance and recovery time is great, so even if I do gass out it only takes a couple of minutes before i'm ready to rock again. Same here
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Smoke - Never.

Alcohol - Beer is life.

Food - Bit of a mixed bag here and can go for weeks eating nowt but low fat green goodness and then easily go weeks living on pie and chips.

Drink - Water, juice, milk.

Exercise - Cycle to work everyday. Football training every week plus game on Sundays. Lucky to have resting heartrate in the 40s and large lung capacity which help make me fitter than I look.

At 38yrs old my ankles and knees are protesting about the football I play. Thankfully riding helps keep my knees from falling apart.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    re people with ME - do have a look at The Lightening Process. I've witnessed the process first hand and was utterly amazed at the transformation in the person. They didn't have ME, but they say it helps ME sufferers too.

EDIT: Did a quick google and it's not good what they say about The Lightening Process and ME so I might take my comment back! However, it worked for the person I witnessed, though as I say their illness wasn't ME.