Traffic Chaos Trafalger Square - Wednesday Mornings

1789101113»

Comments

• Esinem
    Esinem Posts: 24
    I shall be interested to see how cyclists deal with it once it becomes illegal not to use authorised paid for cycle parking with all the ensuing enforcement. You ignore the spectre of removal or immobilisation and think it couldn't happen 'cos you don't have numberplates but I see there is a campaign to get bikes chipped. They are generously fitting them for free. I wonder why? :roll: You know what they say about free lunches.

Such chips can be read remotely for access to paid parking but more importantly by traffic light cameras, detectors on pavements, by CEO's with ticket machines (come to think out it, it could be done automatically. A receiver in a no parking zone could easily read the chip of any cycle parked within its perimeters for more that x minutes and transmit the details to a PCN issuing system)...the £ making options are myriad! Cycle centres with secure parking etc. are set to be big business, especially now that revenues from powered traffic is falling now as green measures begin to bite. Removing free options are essential for monopolistic profit levels

Welcome to the world of powered road users! Enjoy the future!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    :lol::lol:

Going to take me up on that bet then? Put your money where your keyboard is? Or are you just bored on a friday arvo and thought you'd come on here and spout some nonsense?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Motorbikes should be registered and have to pay road tax.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

Going to take me up on that bet then? Put your money where your keyboard is? Or are you just bored on a friday arvo and thought you'd come on here and spout some nonsense?

He does seem awfully reluctant to acknowledge those willing to take him up on his bet.
    Funny, that.
  • Esinem
    Esinem Posts: 24
    Greg T wrote:
    Motorbikes should be registered and have to pay road tax.

Huh??!! You mean I have been doing this unnecessarily all these years?
  • Hi all

I see you've been getting on well without me. Just thought I'd pop in and remind you that we'll be back again tomorrow for our normal fun around the Westminster area. Please feel free to come along and join in the fun, either just passing through or join us in a few laps of Trafalger Square.

From reports of LBC this morning it seems that even the METs top cop has been joining us on the Square recently.

As always, we will try to accomodate cyclists being able to filter through our events, but do be aware exhausts and engines get hot so please avoid with your legs.

I also read that the landowners of the South Bank have asked the police to ban you lot from there, well in truth you are already banned it's just not enforced. When are you lot going to start fighting back?

• How's it going getting that court decision turned around?

• The court decision is just part of the fight, the appeal is in.

There is also a crapstorm heading WCCs way from the EU due to contract tendering irregularities on their parking contracts. This is likely to hit the other 13 boroughs involved in WCCs PiPgroup/company.

We also have other plans in place to start hitting WCCs revenue in the near future.

Add to all this we have two more big demos in September.

All in, we are still out here being a pain and having fun whilst doing it.

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Esinem wrote:
    So, I have some takers for a bet? You've obviously missed me :-) So, are we betting that bicycles will be charged to park or that parking a bicycle dangerously/causing an obstruction/fixing to street furniture will become an offence? Let's have some clarity.

If you lock your bike to street furniture for any significant length of time in Westminster, it *will* be stolen.

I'd love it if there was paid for parking.
  • gordon861 wrote:
    ....do be aware exhausts and engines get hot so please avoid with your legs.....

I love the " you avoid us" not the "we'll avoid you"

ie we'll happily burn the legs off you :? Nice

Oh, and less of the "you lot"
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    D'ya think you could shove another a into "trafalger" in place of the e?

Ta muchly

/[pedant]
  • gordon861 wrote:
    ....do be aware exhausts and engines get hot so please avoid with your legs.....

I love the " you avoid us" not the "we'll avoid you"

ie we'll happily burn the legs off you :? Nice

Oh, and less of the "you lot"

Ah someone that is new to the thread (I think). The reason I word it like this is that most of the time we are stationary when we are this close to cyclists, as they are filtering through us as we take up the same space as a car and don't filter. So as you can see it is more a case of you guys/girls not riding into us rather than us into you. We did have someone come over to the main forum complaining about being burnt the other week, so I figured a warning would be polite.

Sorry about the 'you lot' no offence intended, please take as a light hearted term to refer to all the cyclists on here.

As for spelling, only thing worse than my spelling is my typing, but I try.
  • Hey it's nearly September and the kids will soon be back at school, so we all know what that means don't we ... more traffic and more congestion in London.

So I just thought I'd drop by and say hello to you all and remind you that we are still about every Wednesday morning and evening. We are so popular that we've even made it into Time Out http://www.timeout.com/london/around-to ... upper-club I think it's because the tourists seem to love our little events.

Also, a quick warning, on the 4th September we will be hitting the North Circular and Westminster. We'll be starting at the Ace Cafe at noon, heading clockwise around the North Circular and then turning into London near the Thames.

And finally, good luck on the SkyRide on Sunday to anyone taking part.

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    gordon861 wrote:
    So I just thought I'd drop by and say hello to you all and remind you that we are still about every Wednesday morning and evening. We are so popular that we've even made it into Time Out http://www.timeout.com/london/around-to ... upper-club I think it's because the tourists seem to love our little events.

Popular enough to have made it into a user-submitted event directory and receive a total of one rating and no comments?