Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    bails87 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    I've got a commuting buddy :D

Oddly enough he's got the same full name ( including middle name) as me, we live in the same area, work at the same place, both (obviously) commute by bike. Very strange, but I finally get to do some proper drafting!

Are you looking in the mirror?
    Exactly what Ms Bails said when I told her! :lol:

I started talking to him in the changing rooms one morning, then went to pick up my ID badge and realised there was one next to it that also had my name on it. :?

Does he earn more than you? If so sneak into payroll and swap bank account numbers, it will take him six months to work out :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:
    I started talking to him in the changing rooms

Before or after you oiled yourself up?
    Well, he'd just done my back.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    davis wrote:
    On the way in to work, the (very) rural road was blocked by a tree blown down by the wind. I simply picked my bike up, and walked up the bank around the tree. The car coming the opposite way didn't have this option...

Smug mode, moi?

Meh... A real man would of bunny-hopped it. :wink:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm off on holiday tomorrow. Hurrah!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    davis wrote:
    On the way in to work, the (very) rural road was blocked by a tree blown down by the wind. I simply picked my bike up, and walked up the bank around the tree. The car coming the opposite way didn't have this option...

Smug mode, moi?

Meh... A real man would have bunny-hopped it. :wink:

It was about 6ft high...:)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    davis wrote:
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    davis wrote:

Smug mode, moi?

Meh... A real man would have bunny-hopped it. :wink:

It was about 6ft high...:)

Pfffftt
    12193335366HbLpV.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bails87
    SSW winds gusting up to 65km/h this afternoon/evening.

My ride home is NNE :twisted: :D
    MTB/CX

• Hot Orange
    Hot Orange Posts: 157
    Averaged over 20mph for the first time on tonight's 17-mile homeward commute. Gotta love a mahoosive tailwind!
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Pedal On in Tadley. Great service. Made me feel like my money was worth something, which is very different to my experience of some other local bike shops...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Average moving speed 14.0mph. And in April too :D
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    What was it with that incredible tailwind tonight?

On a stretch where I normally avg 18 ish (if I'm lucky) I was touching 28 and holding it for a mile.

12.2 mile in 39 minutes which is Madone territory at any other time. That was flipping awesome
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    First commute on the road bike this morning, simply awesome. Previously I've been riding round my estate getting used to handling and the drops bars (in between showers!). Hit the open road this morning and loved it, much faster and strangely enough more comfortable than the MTB. Hardly any wind, can't wait for the cycle home.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    First commute on the road bike this morning, simply awesome. Previously I've been riding round my estate getting used to handling and the drops bars (in between showers!). Hit the open road this morning and loved it, much faster and strangely enough more comfortable than the MTB. Hardly any wind, can't wait for the cycle home.

Hardly any wind? Ah.

You were cycling South-ish weren't you?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87

Hardly any wind? Ah.

You were cycling South-ish weren't you?
    :lol:

I enjoyed that tailwind last night, like you, was holding 29pointsomething for long stretches on the flat. I also managed to set off the "30 - SLOW DOWN" flashing sign on my road as I zipped past at 35mph+. :lol:
    MTB/CX

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Removed RSP light bracket from the old handlebars during replacement of said bar, only to find that the fixing bolt is rusted solid. Emailed http://www.mailorderbikes.com/ for a request to see if they could get one (new bracket) for me to purchase. They in turn emailed RSP and I received a new bracket today gratis :D
  • Beautiful evening so took the long way up through Carron Valley and over the Tak-ma-doon to catch the train at Croy. Stunning.
    And to the driver of the Fiat Multipla who RLJ'd to try and beat me off the lights on Victoria Road and whom then held me up round the corner onto Queens Drive, mine was the moral victory :D
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Oooh I love being right just once in a while. Riding along designated bike path here yesterday afternoon, where it's split so that peds have one path and bikes have another. Couple of folks wandering down the bike path as I come round a bend, brake and miss them, just to overhear the woman harumph loudly about "dangerous cyclists not looking where they are going". Ahem.

Quick U-turn. "Was Madam referring to me?"

"Yes, you should keep left." she snorts. This, even though she and hubby were walking down the middle, blocking whole path. But anyway...

Cue priceless moment when I point to the ground. She is STANDING ON the bicycle logo painted on the path, with the words "BICYCLES ONLY" written beneath it. The parallel path not 6 feet away has a logo of a pedestrian painted on it with "PEDESTRIANS ONLY"...

"You were saying?" :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Oooh I love being right just once in a while. Riding along designated bike path here yesterday afternoon, where it's split so that peds have one path and bikes have another. Couple of folks wandering down the bike path as I come round a bend, brake and miss them, just to overhear the woman harumph loudly about "dangerous cyclists not looking where they are going". Ahem.

Quick U-turn. "Was Madam referring to me?"

"Yes, you should keep left." she snorts. This, even though she and hubby were walking down the middle, blocking whole path. But anyway...

Cue priceless moment when I point to the ground. She is STANDING ON the bicycle logo painted on the path, with the words "BICYCLES ONLY" written beneath it. The parallel path not 6 feet away has a logo of a pedestrian painted on it with "PEDESTRIANS ONLY"...

"You were saying?" :D

hee hee - like it.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Just had one of our nice young ladies from the other end of the building coo-ing over the bike, asking why it's got wires going to the gears, where do I hold onto the bars, all the stuff, and how fast does it go? I don't think she was interested in the bike really; hence anti-rant. <wonder if she has a horse...?>
    :wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,089
    CiB wrote:
    Just had one of our nice young ladies from the other end of the building coo-ing over the bike, asking why it's got wires going to the gears, where do I hold onto the bars, all the stuff, and how fast does it go? I don't think she was interested in the bike really; hence anti-rant. <wonder if she has a horse...?>
    :wink:
    :lol: Ego nicely polished and up to full pressure is it?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Yup. :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,641
    My ex boss just gave everyone a chilled bottle of Peroni to drink.

Cheers guys :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

You got a real job? Or has he quit?
  • rick_chasey
    Veronese68 wrote:

Moved into a different part of the business.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Veronese68 wrote:

Hope it's better for you. Good luck.
  • rick_chasey
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Hope it's better for you. Good luck.

Nah not really. Stuff is happening on that front but don't want to remotely jinx it.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Lost one of the nose pads of my Salice cycling glasses after bouncing over a rutted road on Wednesday morning... Phoned up the optician I bought them at and he can't help :(

Search on web for a supplier and come up with 'Inland Opticals', about a mile or so from where I live. Give them a call...

"Yes we can do a new nose piece but you'll have to order through an optician that has an account with us as we're a wholesaler."
    "OK," says I, "who has an account with you thats local to me?"
    "Where are you," he says. So when I told him, he said, "Oh, in that case just drop by and we'll sort something."

Sorted :), new nose piece supplied and they glued it on for me. Seems like good service isn't dead yet :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I've just taken my kids cycling along the Monsal trail. As we were getting back to the start, we met a group on antique safety bicycles (1898) and with matching clothing.

It turns out that they know my Dad's neighbours - I asked because Dad's neighbours used to race penny farthings but they always referred to them by their official name of old ordinary bicycles.

I could have a rant about gormless users of the trail both on foot and bike, but I won't dwell on the fact that if you are waddling three abreast along a busy cycling trail on a bank holiday, it is good manners to consider moving slightly aside to let people pass when they are approaching. Nor will I mention the fool who was wheeling his bike, and then suddenly decided to wander across the track when my son had just started passing him - my son had slowed to about 6-mph at this time, and still had to swerve because he was so close. He wasn't silent either, so there was no excuse for not knowing. I had been lecturing on the lifesaver look to my son anyway, so he got several examples of people not using it.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    first test ride on the new SS. I say new... the steel frame is about 40 years old and i've built it almost entirely from bits i had lying around. Amazing fun- had forgotten how quiet SS bikes are. Gonna be perfect for the rainy commute/ a good blast to the pub etc. Weighs twice as much as my pro machine, and is very nearly as pretty.

its surprisingly fast all things considered. now to name him...
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Him? Are you mad? All bicycles are girls, well known fact.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.