Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    WVM up my aris this morning honking as i am taking primary. Cue withering look and inappropriate hand gesture on my part.

as he catches up a bit further down the road where it widens and winds down his window clearly in order to have a go, i explain without giving him time to speak that i am in primary as the road splits and its very easy to get left hooked if you're over near the kerb.

he says 'oh, alright then', gives me a little wave and drives off.

I don't agree with the honking, but not everyone knows about safe cycling techniques, and now he'll be nicer to the next guy.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Past week, from last Friday evening, I've been on-call over the weekend and every night - I totally hate that, potentially called in the middle of the night to then have to fire up the laptop to try and suss out how to fix the client's billing system. Totally ruins my week but it ended at 8am this morning. Not too keen to heft the laptop in via whilst cycling and I've already done 3 commutes so I drove in. In place of the cycle commute instead I did a 6km run and after a good few months of either right or left leg pain (could be ITB issues) I'm now managing this distance with NO issues. Good start to the morning made even better by a swift espresso made from home-roasted beans.
    And I'm on holiday from 6pm this eve until Monday 16th.
    Fan-bloomin-tastic.

If that wasn't enough :
    Wife and kids are heading to outlaws on Sunday whilst I have to stay behind and look after our puppy - and, oh dear, Eurosport are showing 4hrs of Paris-Roubaix. So, whilst in Morrisons today a large bottle of Leffe Brune appeared in my basket thus on Sunday I'll get to go out on the bike for a couple of hours before refuelling myself with food then I'll plant myself down in front of telly with beer and dog with no interruptions for once - yeehar.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Long, lovely lunch - rib of beef and a decent Burgundy, followed by home-grown rhubarb fool and a good sticky Chaume. Couple of chocs, cider brandy & after the outlaws upped & went, feet up with a film- bliss! And the joy of a possible repeat tomorrow - yay for zombie Jesus day!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I get in the office this morning and find an easter egg sitting on my desk :)

nom nom nom
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Went down to Portsmouth today for a couple of client meetings. Meeting one very positive, and took all of half an hour. Meeting two with a new customer as a follow up to a meeting last week where he bought a few grands worth of kit from me just to make sure it had all turned up and he insists on slipping a £40 'drink' into my top pocket for excellent service! Made my day, (and made MrsAH's day when I pass half of it on). OK, not exactly a mortgage payment - but really nice.

I worked out the other day that on average my customers take me to lunch about twice as often as I take customers to lunch - I must be doing something right :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    tailwind most of the way home last night

caught a double decker bus which gave an awesome draft up to about 30mph

fantastico commute, 6 miles in about 15mins
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Speed. I am speed.

Flu beaten.
    Winter gone.
    My first road bike.

Even a nasty headwind can't wipe the grin from my face.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    mudcow007 wrote:

caught a double decker bus which gave an awesome draft up to about 30mph

Been there, done that. Improved my Strava KOM cause of it
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Naked Ladies in the pub last night. Marvellous.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Veronese68 wrote:

The band or 'real' nekid ladies? :?
  • veronese68
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

The band or 'real' nekid ladies? :?

Marvellous tasting naked ladies
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    To the larger gentleman on the Specialized S-Works Tarmac who runs laps of Regent's Park. Chapeau sir! Once you've shifted a few pounds you will be an absolute monster.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    New camera is working perfectly (bloody stiff switch mind) and the 3/4 mile of new road surface before the A60 is buttery smooth and now my favourite bit of road.

I can't wait for a mild tailwind on a sunny day when I'm on my Madone - there could be some seriously quick times on that bit.

Plus: more patient drivers this morning and yet another British Gypsum lorry driver being amazingly patient and courteous when he passed me.

and for some reason I cannot figure out: while I think I'm going slower, my times are still quicker than usual.... go figure.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Made too much coffee this morning (rest of family away), so rather than waste it, poured surplus into a Thermos and strapped it to the top of the rack bag. I IZ PROPA COOMUTAH NOW!
    <checks bikemonger site for handlebar mounted mug>
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    Minor coming together with a couple of other cyclists last night on the way home, due to a dithering pedestrian.

Couple of wheels that need truing between us, and some clothing damage but no significant harm done. All resolved today, i believe to everyone's satisfaction.

Pleasure to crash into such nice chaps. :D
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    I do really love my commute at times, I didn't pass/meet a single car this morning :D
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202
    2 of the 3 really bumpy potholed roads on my commute have been resurfaced and loving the new smooth road surfaces.

Just need to keep reporting the other one and hopefully it will finally get resurfaced too, rather than repeatedly patched :)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    ebay macbook has arrived just need to fit a new drive and a top bevel as the keyboard is duff. but it's a fine wee beast otherwise should be a lovely garden computer!
  • redvee
    A foot-up commute ride home, mind you at 02:20 when I left work there isn't a lot of traffic about and the lights react to the flashing led on the front of my bike.
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    Woke up this morning, and it was wet, cold and I was tired. Miscalculated the distance of my journey so end up doing 10.5 instead of 8.5.

Reason why I'm happy? After moving to London at the weekend, and having to use the tube yesterday, my first ever London commute and I loved it :D

There seems to be a lot of moaning about other road users on here, but I didn't see any dangerous driving at any time (not saying it doesn't exist). In fact most drivers seemed to give me a nice amount of space, and would leave a gap if I needed to pull round a bus (including HGV drivers). All in all a very nice cycle and I even managed a few scalps 8)
    FCN 7
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Had a nice ride back, got chatting to someone after exchanging scalps at consecutive lights most of the way down Scotswood Road (the Peloton rides again) we pretty much took up the whole left hand lane and nobody in cars seemed to mind.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • veronese68
    Beer festival in a pub 6 doors away from me for St Georges Day. Must not stay too late.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I rode to my parents' last night, paying no heed to the weather forecast for today. I had no option but to get absolutely soaked, and freeze my hands and feet.

On the way in to work, the (very) rural road was blocked by a tree blown down by the wind. I simply picked my bike up, and walked up the bank around the tree. The car coming the opposite way didn't have this option...

Smug mode, moi?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a commuting buddy :D

Oddly enough he's got the same full name ( including middle name) as me, we live in the same area, work at the same place, both (obviously) commute by bike. Very strange, but I finally get to do some proper drafting!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,088
    bails87 wrote:

Oddly enough he's got the same full name ( including middle name) as me, we live in the same area, work at the same place, both (obviously) commute by bike. Very strange, but I finally get to do some proper drafting!

Are you looking in the mirror?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Have you checked for hidden cameras? Have you heard any creepy theme music?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    fixed a puncture for a fellow commuter this morning

quite impressed how many other asked if we needed any help - does that mean i looked like i was clueless?!

anyways good feeling having helped someone out
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • redvee
    Splashing through the numerous muddy puddles on the way home from work on sunday at 18mph. In the space of 4 miles my clean legs and bike turned into a filthy mess. This was after scaring the ipod wearing jogger who ignored the three polite excuse mes but jumped out of his skin when I raised my voice and shouted oi at him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcEqFQoyWSw
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    rjsterry wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Are you looking in the mirror?
    Exactly what Ms Bails said when I told her! :lol:

I started talking to him in the changing rooms one morning, then went to pick up my ID badge and realised there was one next to it that also had my name on it. :?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,637
    bails87 wrote:
    I started talking to him in the changing rooms

Before or after you oiled yourself up?