Cannondale import problems?

Englishsid
Englishsid Posts: 23
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Has anyone else faced delay, after delay with their recent Cannondale order?

I placed an order for a Caad9 back in Feb and was told it would be available early April. Just called the bike shop.

"cannondale import issues"

Basically I've been told that it might be June or July now!

-Dave

Comments

• ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I placed an order a few weeks back for a CAAD 9 and was told at the time that it wouldn't be her until mid-to-late May. I heard that the UK importer for Cannondales is changing so this might explain the delay.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    I placed an order a few weeks back for a CAAD 9 and was told at the time that it wouldn't be her until mid-to-late May. I heard that the UK importer for Cannondales is changing so this might explain the delay.

Didn't think there was a UK importer they come direct from Cannondale Europe in the Netherlands?
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Didn't think there was a UK importer they come direct from Cannondale Europe in the Netherlands?

There wasn't a UK importer, but now there is. Or so I was told by the guys at SBR in February. So in the long run, that's good news for distribution in the UK, but in the short run, there are delivery issues.
  • Westerberg
    Westerberg Posts: 652
    just cancelled my order for a Cannondale Six Carbon. Retailer can't even tell me IF let alone WHEN my order will be fulfilled. It's all very well being bike of the year in C+ but if you can't get people the bikes then what the hell is the use? I think Cannondale could lose a lot of face over this, not to mention custom. It's April already - people need their bikes now, not half way through the season. Hacked Off!
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Arse.

Gutted for you, bike looks sick.

:(
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    There's definitely something going on. Evans were supposed to get some compact CAAD9s in today, however there website now says the end of April for the liquigas team colours (which look good now but I think will date very quickly) but the black ones aren't availble until the end of May!

Looks like I'll either have to go for the triple instead or go for the colnago afterall.
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    For info......... Chris Paulson Cycles in Rochdale looked to have plenty of Cannondales of all persuasions in last week.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Distributor has changed from Holland to Poole, Dorset. I ordered Super Six Jan 29th and it finally arrived today!!! (Pics to follow soon) Two and half months wait but definitely worth it.
    But to wait two months at this time of year would be a loonngg time. Apparently Cannondale make their different models in batches so depending upon which model you ordered will affect delivery time.
  • I ordered my compact CAAD 9 from Evans on 19 Feb and they were able to give no details at that time as to when it might arrive. In the end, they called me on 28 March to say it was ready for collection.
    Cannondale may have their import issues, but in this case Evans didn't help either. I'd called them on the Saturday to ask if they had any news and was told that they still had no information and it "could be another month". Next day I get a phone call saying "it's ready!"
  • Westerberg
    situation really does suck a$$ big time. Is there no contact at Cannondale / supplier that we can speak to? At least if they could give you a timescale, even if it was 4 months, at least we could make decisions. It's not as if their factory burned down (a la Bianchi). They're a day away from losing my business (for what that's worth!) - the Felt F3 is looking mighty tempting in the circumstances.
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Westerberg wrote:
    situation really does suck a$$ big time. Is there no contact at Cannondale / supplier that we can speak to?

Looks like the new importers are called CSG

http://www.cyclingsportsgroup.co.uk

The UK Marketing Manager is Mike Cotty:
    http://www.linkedin.com/companies/cycling-sports-group
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Mike Cotty has been the Cannondale rep in the UK for a number of years. He has appeared in various magazines as he usually rides the Etape course and does a mag report. Presumably he has decided to start up his own import business.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Daimler
    Daimler Posts: 215
    Seems like you guys all know more than me because Wheelies.co.uk keep telling me it's gonna be the 12th April for my Black CAAD9 Tiagra compact.

Ordered via the CTW scheme so might just change to another bike....although it's typical the bike I want isn't available.
    I wanted the Felt F1 frameset originally but in the end I went for a Tarmac SL3 for the same reasons....but glad I did on that.

It just seems that productions problems, shipping and importing issues are affecting many bike companies and bike parts companies. :cry:
    Planet X RT-57 custom build
  • Daimler
    Just to get the latest up date I've had.
    Wheelies.co.uk contacted 'Dale UK and the date of 12 April I had is now 2nd May.
    :?

In two minds as to what to do.....
    I get this feeling it'll be changed again.

Cannondale are moving their 'Handbuilt in the USA' operation to Taiwan so I'm wondering if these delays are due to this?
  • Daimler
    Westerberg wrote:
    situation really does suck a$$ big time. Is there no contact at Cannondale / supplier that we can speak to? At least if they could give you a timescale, even if it was 4 months, at least we could make decisions. It's not as if their factory burned down (a la Bianchi). They're a day away from losing my business (for what that's worth!) - the Felt F3 is looking mighty tempting in the circumstances.

I know the bike is another £700 more but the Felt F3 is IMO way better than the 'Dale six carbon.
    SRAM Red shifters and mechs.
    Awesome frame that is very light and nimble and a top wheelset would put it in the realms of bikes costing double more.
    I'm a Felt fan if you didn't guess.... :lol:...had 2 of them and both have been excellent!
  • studuck
    studuck Posts: 30
    CSG is Cannondale - they bought Hotwheels hence why they are based in Poole. They have moved their distribution for the UK from Holland to Poole. Doesn't explain why supply is poor but dates they are quoting are slipping.
  • Westerberg
    Daimler wrote:
    Westerberg wrote:

I know the bike is another £700 more but the Felt F3 is IMO way better than the 'Dale six carbon.
    SRAM Red shifters and mechs.
    Awesome frame that is very light and nimble and a top wheelset would put it in the realms of bikes costing double more.
    I'm a Felt fan if you didn't guess.... :lol:...had 2 of them and both have been excellent!
    thanks for the advice. Yeah the Felt looks pretty awesome. Not as keen on the colourscheme but still a great bike. I'd have to make do with the Fulcrum 5's for the timebeing - small price to pay. It's that or a PX SL Carbon specced with Dura Ace which comes in a litle cheaper.
  • brown132
    brown132 Posts: 8
    Right people i am a Cannondale dealer and i have faced these problems on and off for a few years now, production on a lot of bikes has moved to asia this year to allow a better supply of bikes but the change over etc wont allow a big supply difference until next year.
    All our CAAD9's that were on back order are delivered in April any new bikes will be available end of May/June.
    In Cannondales defence they give the dealer a chance to order there bikes a few months before model year release so each market (UK etc) can get orders in so Cannondale can try and meet demand. The problem arrises when not many UK dealers order CAAD9's, the bike then wins every mag test it's in so everyone wants one and suddenly their all gone so we try to get more from europe than we were allocated although europe have sold loads so demand is greater than supply and its not Cannondale believe me there are others in the same boat, cycling is growing rapidly and that puts a strain on things aswell although we love our dales and stocked up nicely on pretty much everything but their going fast and thats because they are great. I understand your frustrations i waited 6 months for my supersix but i tell you it was worth every hour because its awesome. Be patient people good things come to he who waits.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    brown132 wrote:
    i waited 6 months for my supersix but i tell you it was worth every hour because its awesome.

+1 the Super Six is mint, first ride yesterday and loving it
    Hold out for the Cannondale, because it's worth it!
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Also if you look on American cycling forums you will notice that they are having supply problems on the CAAD9 and six in the states. I think the problem is manufacturer rather than importer.
  • stevenb
    stevenb Posts: 717
    My fear is whether the quality of the Handbuilt frame will differ.
    I want perfect alignment.

Thinking of cancelling my CTW order now anyway.....shame.
    :(
  • My LBS leads me to believe that this is pretty normal for Cannondale - certainly I've had 3x bikes from them (two before the move to Poole, one of which was an insurance replacement, and one after) and all three have had unpredictable delivery dates.

However, I am very happy with both my bikes, and they were worth waiting for.

Andy
  • Hello - My name is Russell and I work for CSGUK and we are the new distributor of Cannondale in the UK.
    I don't regularly comment on forums because it can open a 'can of worms' but I felt I should make a comment this time.
    Our website is www.cyclingsportsgroup.co.uk and we were formed when Hot Wheels was bought by Dorel who own Cannondale. We believe that, for Cannondale to reach its full potential, a UK office/warehouse and warranty centre was required. This transition took place on February 1st. This transition is not really responsible for delays in production of any Cannondale bike. The main problem is massive demand for bikes that keep getting fantastic reviews and winning almost every test they enter. There is manufacturing restructuring that means higher quality and other benefits. Bike of the Year has been great (six carbon 105) but also there has been Sportive bike of the year for the Synapse Carbon Ultegra and I think Caad 9 got something like best bike under £1000. I don't want to turn this into a sales pitch but the changes happening for Cannondale are bearing fruit faster than anyone expected and that has led to a lack of supply and the obvious frustration that is understandable. Please know that we are working as hard as possible across the world, across the supply chain to try to improve service and get people riding. Thanks for the comments - good or frustrated. Russell
  • Ricey77
    Ricey77 Posts: 92
    CSGRussell wrote:
    Hello - My name is Russell and I work for CSGUK and we are the new distributor of Cannondale in the UK.
    I don't regularly comment on forums because it can open a 'can of worms' but I felt I should make a comment this time.
    Our website is www.cyclingsportsgroup.co.uk and we were formed when Hot Wheels was bought by Dorel who own Cannondale. We believe that, for Cannondale to reach its full potential, a UK office/warehouse and warranty centre was required. This transition took place on February 1st. This transition is not really responsible for delays in production of any Cannondale bike. The main problem is massive demand for bikes that keep getting fantastic reviews and winning almost every test they enter. There is manufacturing restructuring that means higher quality and other benefits. Bike of the Year has been great (six carbon 105) but also there has been Sportive bike of the year for the Synapse Carbon Ultegra and I think Caad 9 got something like best bike under £1000. I don't want to turn this into a sales pitch but the changes happening for Cannondale are bearing fruit faster than anyone expected and that has led to a lack of supply and the obvious frustration that is understandable. Please know that we are working as hard as possible across the world, across the supply chain to try to improve service and get people riding. Thanks for the comments - good or frustrated. Russell

Do you know what the situation is now? I have a CAAD9 on order through Southfork Racing, Braunton, Devon. Delivery date was early May, and its getting close to that now.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Cannondale have always had these problems, dating back to the 90's. It's one reason why so many dealers would stock Cannondale for a year or two and then drop them.

Hopefully the new structure will make things work better because the bikes are great, it's just always been supply and warranty that have caused problems (one that sticks in the mind is the customer who had been waiting 4 months for a warranty replacement bike, the day before he was due to go touring on said bike C/dale in the Netherlands told us they were trying to find ' a creative solution' to the problem... the shop manager lent the customer his own bike to go on holiday with).

As I said, hopefully Mike Cotty will improve the situation because the brand (and its customers...) deserve better.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I'm amazed a manufacturer such as Cannondale can have 'supply problems' quite honestly.
  • DecO
    DecO Posts: 15
    Has anyone received their Cannondales recently? All seems to have gone a bit quiet!

I was given a lead time of about 3 weeks (due 17th May) and my LBS is now saying could be this week or first week of June (will make it a 5-6 week wait)? Anyone else been given revised delivery times?

Have just destroyed the back wheel of my other bike so am itching for my CAAD9 to arrive!
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I have been told by my local C dealer that Cannondale just did not anticipate the demand and simply did not make enough bikes. They have a shop full of Wilier and Specialized but nearly everybody who comes through the door wants a Cannondale.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    DecO wrote:
    Has anyone received their Cannondales recently? All seems to have gone a bit quiet!

I was given a lead time of about 3 weeks (due 17th May) and my LBS is now saying could be this week or first week of June (will make it a 5-6 week wait)? Anyone else been given revised delivery times?

Have just destroyed the back wheel of my other bike so am itching for my CAAD9 to arrive!

I received my CAAD 9 two weeks ago, after about a 6 week wait, from Chelmer cycles in Essex. Definately worth waiting for (though the saddles like a razor blade) :lol:

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • DecO
    DecO Posts: 15
    hallelujah - glad to hear someone has got one! Had horrible visions of orders not getting fulfilled and having waited for nothing!

Doing 100k round London, through the night, for charity and really want the new bike. A sofa cushion and a gallon of sudacrem could be the order of the day by the sounds of it.