So I went to The Bike Whisperer

Comments

• londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    I live about 20 seconds walk from them, been using them for a year and a half for everything relating to my bikes. My partner and I are friends with them now.

Great couple, great service. Parking in our area is fine, no permits required. They offer a level of service which is rare to find - understand their customer well 8) .
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    @lardboy, thanks for the info but you ain't talking me out of my search :lol:
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Cafewanda wrote:
    @lardboy, thanks for the info but you ain't talking me out of my search :lol:

Not trying to talk you out of it at all, just setting your expectations, and trying to help!
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Cafewanda
    I know. Just joking :)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    weapons - what time is your appointment on the 27th? I have the 7pm appointment but will probably be there a little early as im riding straight from work. We may bump into each other
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Cafewanda wrote:

When I spoke to the nice people at Epic about bikes for someone of a diminuitive stature such as yourself (they don't make diamonds as big as bricks), they said it'd be no problem, limited choice but a choice nonetheless.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Not quite the bike whispers he's called the horse whisper http://www.garywitheford.co.uk/ he might be good with animals however he lacks any manners, bleeding bumpkin when I rule the world things will be very different.....

carry on nothing to see here :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    itboffin wrote:
    Not quite the bike whispers he's called the horse whisper http://www.garywitheford.co.uk/ he might be good with animals however he lacks any manners, bleeding bumpkin when I rule the world things will be very different.....

carry on nothing to see here :evil:

Been upset by a horse lately ITB ?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda wrote:

When I spoke to the nice people at Epic about bikes for someone of a diminuitive stature such as yourself (they don't make diamonds as big as bricks), they said it'd be no problem, limited choice but a choice nonetheless.

Thanks LiT. I've made a note and stuck it on my noticeboard.
  • lardboy
    Unknown quality, but excellent price on this 650c 45cm road frame: http://www.lfgss.com/thread41074.html#post1321449

£30!
  • Cafewanda
    I should be picking it up later this evening :shock:

Oh my God. What have I let myself in for. I can't even change a tyre yet? :shock: :lol:
  • lardboy
    Zinn will become your new best friend. Him and Sheldon Brown!

I wouldn't expect it to be a quick journey, but by the end of it you'll have learned a huge amount about bike maintenance. I'll pm you some advice.
  • Cafewanda
    :lol::lol:

I used to think cycling was cheap.................... How wrong was I? :lol:

Lardboy, your're on 8)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I really hope your nothing like me then. I half dismantled my BSO a couple of weeks ago with the intention of cleaning it up, trying to get it looking a bit less like a rust bucket.

Now I can't be bothered continuing :?
  • Cafewanda
    :) Tut, tut SuzyB. Wait til the weather improves. You might be more inspired then :) .

On another note, am in negotiations re the frame as I'm not comfortable heading over to Hackney for a 9pm transaction. Have offered an alternative location or moving it to an earlier time in the week. Waiting for a response.
  • suzyb
    Cafewanda wrote:
    :) Tut, tut SuzyB. Wait til the weather improves. You might be more inspired then :) .

On another note, am in negotiations re the frame as I'm not comfortable heading over to Hackney for a 9pm transaction. Have offered an alternative location or moving it to an earlier time in the week. Waiting for a response.
    Doubt it. Today couldn't be any better, bright sunshine, very little wind yet not too hot.

Maybe if I put together a plan of action it would help.

(It would probably already have helped if I'd labelled things. But I didn't so now have a load of nuts and washers and no clue what they came off of :oops: )
  • Cafewanda
    :lol::lol: Sorry, but I couldn't help it :lol:

Could you not find a pic of the same bike online to give you a starting point?
  • lost_in_thought
    :lol::lol:

You need to find the lid of the box the bike came in.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    If it's anything like the alarm clock I took apart as a kid, it'll be fine.

A few screws and a spring left over and it ran fine for years afterwards :oops:
    us0.png
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Pah, if I'd known you were looking, I'd have tried to palm the 650c Cannondale off on you.
  • lost_in_thought
    edited April 2010
    Cafewanda wrote:

Hey, CW....

http://www.colchester-rovers.org.uk/new ... D=121&pg=1

:P
  • suzyb
    I've decided to make it worse now as well and take the bike apart completely. No point doing a half job.

So if anyone is looking for a project, keep an eye out. The bits might end up being offered in the classifieds :lol:

-E- Then again I've just had a look at the replacing freewheel tutorial on bicycletutor. Don't really want to have to buy new tools.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    suzyb wrote:
    -E- Then again I've just had a look at the replacing freewheel tutorial on bicycletutor. Don't really want to have to buy new tools.

Eeep. Is that on the BSO? You are joking, right?

It'd cost more in tools than a replacement BSO, although the tools would be better value.

P.S. It's not always a 10mm Allen key. Mine was 12mm...

..Still not quite sure if you're joking or not..
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • suzyb
    I didn't mean replacing it. I was just going to remove it as I thought it would be easier to clean and looked at the tutorial to see how to do so.

Basically I intend to strip the bike, clean up the parts as much as I can then put it back together again without spending a lot. The only thing that I actually need is a front gear cable however I may also get some touch up paint for the frame.
  • Cafewanda
    :lol::lol: LiT, as soon as I saw your post I knew what was coming. You are right, it would probably be a great fit :lol::lol:

I got the frame. £30 was as much as my pocket could stretch to. I'll post a pic up within the next day or so so you guys can say 'yay' or 'idiot'.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Is this place regarded highly an dstuff?
  • Cafewanda
    Valy wrote:

Assuming you mean TBW, yes they are highly regarded. If you mean this forum that's another matter :wink:
  • Valy
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Valy wrote:

Assuming you mean TBW, yes they are highly regarded. If you mean this forum that's another matter :wink:

Yeah - teh Bike Whisperer. Seems quote a lot though - £125. DAAAAYYYYMMM.
  • Cafewanda
    Well worth it in my (and others) opinion.
  • Valy
    I see. I guess if one is struggling to find a good position or something is not quite right, it would be a reasonable idea.