So I went to The Bike Whisperer

Cafewanda
Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
........ even with the TFL map (sheets of it), I got lost, missed cycle signs and spent what seemed like every two roads checking the map. A (by my reckoning) 1.5 hour journey took me just over 2.5 hours. OK, so I woefully underestimated the journey time and I'm crap at map reading. Anybody wanna donate a GPS device to the cause? :oops: :roll: :)

Anyway.......... Corrine and Scherrit were great about it which reduced my embarrassment somewhat.

My bike was tweaked and how! Adjustments made to saddle height and positioning, handlebars trimmed and brake levers twiddled. It was a 'personal' fit which took note of my current and future requirements, which I really appreciated. I now have to stop and start from a standing position :shock: , which will be interesting as I learnt to ride keeping bum on saddle. I felt it best the lower the saddle to what I was used to so I could ride home safely but I raised it to Scherrit's measurements once I'd arrived home. Somebody warn the neighbourhood as I'll be out practising over the Easter break :)

I need to go back in a month or so for further tweaking and to get Corrine's input on ideas for my next bike.

Wish I'd known of them before I bought Babygirl, lovely as she is.

Oh and Western Avenue is the longest avenue in the Universe - FACT!!

Comments

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    If you could touch the ground with your bum on the saddle, then it is far too low.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I would love to do this, I might well go for it when I build up my single speed, knowing I can use the measurements and advice when I buy something a bit more serious next year.

This reminds me of the car control course I went on - money better spent than just buying kit...
  • Cafewanda
    gaz545 wrote:
    If you could touch the ground with your bum on the saddle, then it is far too low.

So I found out today. Scary new world that's for sure.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Oooooh they're about 5 minutes from my London pad! I might go check them out! Is it a shop?

EDIT: I'd recommend uxbridge road over western avenue for any follow-up visits... :shock:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Did the Bike Whisperer also clean your chain? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jpm5555
    jpm5555 Posts: 56
    Great to hear more positive feedback.

I'm booked in for the 26th :D
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    jpm5555 wrote:
    Great to hear more positive feedback.

I've yet to hear anything but.

Tempted to pay a visit myself, although apart from needing to MTFU i don't think i have many problems.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Cafewanda
    Oooooh they're about 5 minutes from my London pad! I might go check them out! Is it a shop?

EDIT: I'd recommend uxbridge road over western avenue for any follow-up visits... :shock:

Sorry LiT, I didn't make myself clear :oops: , you can cycle adjacent to the Avenue, along shared paths. I have to admit I was :shock: when I saw that on the TFL map until I got there and a local showed me the shared path. Just glad I was on it on a weekday when most are at work/school/whatever.

They operate from their home and are a really nice couple/team. Fettle (their dog) really loves cyclists too. The Capri out front is a good marker if you know your car, I don't, so scanned door numbers til I found them.

Corrine is slightly taller than I am so it was LOVELY to be at, just about, eye level with an adult rather than a young child :lol::lol: Her roadbike has 650c wheels which look like the right fit for me and they educated me on why swopping the wheels on Babygirl to 650cs would not be a good idea. This will make my next bike a tad harder to find I suspect but I'll worry about it after I've had my next tweak session.
  • alien
    alien Posts: 54

It's not a walk in shop - you'll be surprised when you go inside though :)

Book your visit as they are a tad busy..

Excellent service.
  • Cafewanda
    Rolf F wrote:
    Did the Bike Whisperer also clean your chain? :lol:

Unfortunately not :( so the wine will make an appearance along with the cleaning equipment later today :wink:
  • Cafewanda
    alien wrote:

Excellent service.

I understand they are booked throught most of April into May, but it's still worth giving them a call.
  • jpm5555
    Cafewanda wrote:
    alien wrote:

Excellent service.

I understand they are booked throught most of April into May, but it's still worth giving them a call.

Yep, that sounds right. I called at the end of March and have to wait until the end of April :(
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Cafewanda wrote:

Sorry LiT, I didn't make myself clear :oops: , you can cycle adjacent to the Avenue, along shared paths. I have to admit I was :shock: when I saw that on the TFL map until I got there and a local showed me the shared path. Just glad I was on it on a weekday when most are at work/school/whatever.

They operate from their home and are a really nice couple/team. Fettle (their dog) really loves cyclists too. The Capri out front is a good marker if you know your car, I don't, so scanned door numbers til I found them.

Corrine is slightly taller than I am so it was LOVELY to be at, just about, eye level with an adult rather than a young child :lol::lol: Her roadbike has 650c wheels which look like the right fit for me and they educated me on why swopping the wheels on Babygirl to 650cs would not be a good idea. This will make my next bike a tad harder to find I suspect but I'll worry about it after I've had my next tweak session.
    My bike has 650cc wheels. I believe the Giant came with 650cc wheels below a certain frame size (xs or xxs).
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Thanks for the heads up. Have a fit on 27th and also coming from Balham so will plan my route well. that or chuck my bike on the district line to ealing.
  • Cafewanda
    weapons wrote:
    Thanks for the heads up. Have a fit on 27th and also coming from Balham so will plan my route well. that or chuck my bike on the district line to ealing.

You can do that? :shock: :shock:

I have to say, with the benefit of the day after, I'll ride back there again. I'll just allow 2.5 hours and bring a book, just in case :lol:

Suzyb, I've made a note. XS or XXS for me.
  • jpm5555
    @Cafewanda

Is there parking available in the vicinity? I'll be driving from Reading.

Thanks
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Cafewanda wrote:
    weapons wrote:

I have to say, with the benefit of the day after, I'll ride back there again. I'll just allow 2.5 hours and bring a book, just in case :lol:

Suzyb, I've made a note. XS or XXS for me.

Yep, think you can get on the district line with a bike at off peak times, so if it's pouring will cycle to Fulham/Putney and then tube to Ealing Bdy otherwise will cycle there too.
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    PDF map of underground bike access.
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    weapons wrote:
    Yep, think you can get on the district line with a bike at off peak times, so if it's pouring will cycle to Fulham/Putney and then tube to Ealing Bdy otherwise will cycle there too.

And the Piccadilly and Central lines off peak, in the outside (non-tunnel) sections only.
  • Does anyone know of a similar service in the North Wales/North West area?
  • suzyb
    And Scotland?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda wrote:
    PDF map of underground bike access.

Filed for future reference. Cheers!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are many adjustments you can make yourself to get going. Worth finding a guide and having a go at first, making small changes. If you can't get a set up you like, then think about a fitter.

Just simple stuff to start like saddle heigh, position and angle, bar height, controls etc.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Does anyone know of a similar service in the North Wales/North West area?

Or one in the Bristol area? I developed a knee problem at the end of last year and I want to minimise the risk of it flaring up again when I start riding properly soon as I have a 25mile each way commute.
    us0.png
  • Cafewanda
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14698725

This link might be of use to folks outside London. Obviously you'd have to DYOR to see if companies listed are still around.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    suzyb wrote:
    My bike has 650cc wheels. I believe the Giant came with 650cc wheels below a certain frame size (xs or xxs).
    I don't think the new range of Giant has 650c wheels any more. The Trek 43cm does, (I think it's the only major manufacturer that still does 650c) but they are up there with rocking horse do-do in availability. I think they predominantly ship the 47cm model as the smallest one in Europe. However, one of the ladies in Brixton Cycles has one, so she might be able to point you in the right direction. Maybe even BC could get one in for you?

I've spent about a year trying to get a 650c road bike for my girlfriend, and we ended up getting this from eBay:
    11zavk.jpg
    For context, she's 5'1", with a 27" inside leg, and a normal face that I wouldn't dare put on the internet without her permission for fear of recriminations in the shape of a mighty strop:
    12fd1h.jpg
    She can just touch the floor on one side with her tiptoes with the saddle at it's lowest, and has about 1/2" of standover height, which is a tad dangerous for a beginner.

What I've learnt from this is that 650c spares are much more limited than their 700c brethren. I wanted to rebuild the wheels, but can't find those red rims (which she loves) anywhere in the UK, so we'll have to make do with what's on there for the time being.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • suzyb
    Yeah it's actually a few year old bike I have. But I'm sure I read about a newer model of something that still came with 650cc wheels when I was looking for a road bike :?

Why is the 1/2" standover height dangerous though. I have a similar standover height with my bike.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    suzyb wrote:
    Yeah it's actually a few year old bike I have. But I'm sure I read about a newer model of something that still came with 650cc wheels when I was looking for a road bike :?

Why is the 1/2" standover height dangerous though. I have a similar standover height with my bike.

It's fine for a seasoned veteran, but she's never ridden on London roads, so would fancy a little more leeway in case of an emergency. In time it'll be no issue.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    FeynmanC wrote:

Or one in the Bristol area? I developed a knee problem at the end of last year and I want to minimise the risk of it flaring up again when I start riding properly soon as I have a 25mile each way commute.

I'd suggest Argos in St Annes, the frame builders. Not 100% sure wether or not they can help but worth a try.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.