How far do you commute

godihatehills
godihatehills Posts: 237
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
so Ive started commuting into work ( fair weather cyclist) and I was intrigued to see how far people ride.
its not willy waving or anythinhg like that... just wasnt sure if this was actually feasible long term and if I might just get sick of it over time if it was too long.
so looking at the route its 18.9 miles each way with a total of 854 feet or thereabouts ( lot easier the other direction) doable in around an hour ( ish )
I think thats alright isnt it?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited March 2010
    Sounds pretty good to me.

I start doing 25 miles each way, which took about an hour and 45. I'm now doing 17 miles each way in an hour and five.

Edit: That's 17 miles (34 mile round trip) five days a week, unless I'm having a drink in the evening.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    http://www.startfarm.co.uk/aspStats/

If you click on peoples names it'll give you an idea of how far people commute.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Yes it's do-able, but you might want to leave a little more than an hour, as averaging 19MPH day after day might be a bit of a tall order!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    I take it you're out in the country with few traffic lights; 19mph average (door to door) would be nigh on impossible over that distance in London, but some of the Wiltshire lot seem to get up around 17 or 18mph average.

EDIT: Just realised I didn't answer the question: I do 13.5-14.5miles each way depending on route variations. I would try and get a couple of these in to keep things interesting and stop you switching to autopilot. Also if you are doing 38miles a day, 5 days a week, you might want to think about what you are eating as you will be burning a fair bit more than usual (this is what I found when I moved further out of London and added about 35-40% on to my commute).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    I do 17.5 miles each way twice sometimes three times a week. Legs are still getting use to it but times are getting better

yeah if you look at the stats some people are doing serious miles daily!
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • 13 Miles each way and do it as often as physically possible, normally at least 3 times a week takes me around 45mins
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    edited March 2010
    13.5 - 14 miles each way 5 days a week, come rain, snow or shine; much more pleasant (and 5 - 10mins faster) on the CX now though
  • bannedbiker
    bannedbiker Posts: 382
    10 miles each way on the mountian bike. usually only do it 2 or 3 times a week at the mo.
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    I do about 52km round trip each day. I'd say if you think you can do that 18.9 miles in an hour you should have no problem doing it a little slower than that every day; I'm pretty pleased to hit 19mph in a sprint, but can handle my commute fine.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • 19 mph average seems very doable day in day out on the way home considering gradient, it took just over an hour on the way in today due to climbing and that may be the issue... guess we'll see.

yeah Im out in the country,

in the pit that is northamptonshire, I think there are 4 sets of traffic lights on the entire route, very different to my old commute in London 10 years ago although the pothole are as bad.
    Im not too bothered about fuel, I figure 20 miles or so is fine without breaky will be a decent fat burner and help lose some of my not insignificant girth..... hell might even be able to race in the summer
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Yo. 21 miles here, 2 maybe 3 times a week. It's easily doable; I used to come in armed with 2 x drinks bottles and a couple of energy bars and then eat too much through the day to get home ok. These days I might carry a water bottle but often don't, and then just get on with being at work for the day.

Once we get into Spring and then Summer I'd usually expect to knock it off just over an hour. At this time of year it's taking around 1¼ hours, maybe a bit more.

The main issue is routine - it's a long ride to do everyday so you need to mix it up a bit; have at least one day off - go by car to replenish the clean clothes supply - and find different routes. 20 miles should give you some variation though. It's nowhere near as daunting as it first seems, once you get into it.

Which end of Northants are you doing it?
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I do actually quite a short commute compared to some of you. Just 7 and a quarter miles each way, but I ride 5 days a week.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    22 miles each way, 5 days a week. If I go to club training on a Tuesday that usually equates to about 60 miles in the evening and an 85 mile day, unless I wimp out and get the train half way home
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Er, 3 miles to work, or 5 if I take a bimble along the beach, which is nice on a sunny day. About 4 times a week unless I'm on nights. Seems a bit low compared to everyone else!
  • Oi I said no willy waving! :-)
    85 mile day mid week..... no ta.
    Im riding from Higham to Northants Uni ( yes they do have one)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've upped my mileage quite a bit this year cause of the stupid stats game

15.9 on the way in and 20.3 or 13(seems really short nowadays) if I'm in a rush on the way home

so 150-170 a week I think is fair
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    Oi I said no willy waving! :-)

That'll be why he's up at no. 2 on the stats table :roll: .
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • been commuting about 18/19 miles each way from Edinburgh to Livingston for the past few weeks, about 3 times a week on my heavy hybrid commuter - takes just over the hour. I feel great for it!

Got out on the roadbike at the weekend and can really notice the difference having those extra miles in my legs.
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    I did a minimum of 34 miles per day round trip (more in the summer) and averaged 10 - 12 thousand miles per year for 20 years. I am pleased to say that I am now retired and averaging 5 - 6 thousand pleasure/racing miles per year.
  • Alinshearah
    Alinshearah Posts: 339
    13 mile each way, 4 days a week (there is always one day that I need the car). Takes about 40-45 mins on the bike (and takes 30-50mins in the car)
  • plonk
    plonk Posts: 37
    10 miles each way around 4 days a week, and i'm pleased to be averaging around 19mph at the moment. I really should start stretching the route out a bit more, but i'm always running late in the morning and want to get back in time to see the family in the evening. Looking forward to the longer days!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I did a 60 mile round trip commute yesterday - normally its 25 -30 mile round trip.

The 25-30 mile commute is easily do able daily
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    5.2 miles each way. Now the evenings are getting lighter, I may start doing a scenic route home via Glasson Dock or the Trough of Bowland.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Oi I said no willy waving! :-)

Willy waving, me :shock: There's none of that round here, it'd mean taking my hands off the bars and my lycra's far too tight to allow anything to wave about :wink:

Not that there's been much worth waving on these cold mornings :oops:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • helz
    helz Posts: 406
    Just under four miles each way, at least four days a week (central London).
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    16ish each way. Every day.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    18ish miles to the gym and then work with a 6ish mile trip home three times a week, and 12ish miles round trip to work and back the other two days (sometimes one day if I have to travel to training in Worthing).
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    7.5 or 8 miles each way, every day. Starting to extend the homeward journey as the light extends into the evening. Sometimes I wish I lived further away to make me do more, but happy that I can do more when I want.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    18 miles each way into Central London and then across to Canary Wharf.

3 days a week

Looking to up it to 4 days a week now that thwe weather has turned
    FCN = 4
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    10 miles each way.

Wimbledon to a street off Gray's Inn road.

5 days a week, unless I have plans to go out in the area, which is rare.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game