If you only had one bike

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Just one bike?

*shudders*

Hmm, it would probably have to be my 2004 Coiler Dee-Lux. But I'd have a few 'spare' to make it lighter or more robust depending upon what I'd be doing on it. I've done DH (not too hardcore though), 4X (Badly), XC (Raced at SITS), Trail Centres (Afan, Cwmcarn, Coed Llandegla, Cannock Chase & Delamere), a bit of Street/Park and event commuted on it last year.

Truly an 'all rounder'

That said, I couldn't manage with just the one bike.

*rushes off to hug bikes*
  • For me, it'd be a Ti 456 kitted out with the very best of everything.

I'm hoping to build my regular 456 up like this and eventually swap the frame out.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    My Evil Sovereign ... if I had to choose

...which luckily I don't
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've only got one bike, a 100mm hardtail. In reality a short travel 100/120mm FS would probably be great for all my riding, but the Boardman is perfect for 90% of my riding at the moment. Ideal bike for the future would be a Giant Anthem X/Trance X, Trek Fuel Ex, or a Stumpjumper if they're not as dull looking.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Hmm I might possibly have to get rid of some bikes as I am looking at renting a one bed place instead of 2, which means less room for bike storage :( I need the commuter, but would want my HT too I think.
    Though if I could, I'd get something like a handjob, or something similar, but i can't afford anything.

I am looking into getting a storage locker though....
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    hardcore ti HT with 140-150 mm U-turn travel, double and bash, XT shadow mech, M4 brakes, American classic AM wheels. KS i900
    shiny bits.....
    done
    I like bikes and stuff
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    A 140mm slightly slack FS with excellent pedaling efficiency that could take a lot of dodgy landings...basically the same as my Wolf Ridge, but perhaps slightly lighter and better looking.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    To keep my knees and back happy, a full susser.

That's why I stopped riding the rigid, though it is a great bike, built in 86 at a cost of £1,500.

My Meta 5.5 does what I want it to, but if I had the funds I would buy a Blur LT Carbon.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    I'd get a handjob, or something similar,
    :shock:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    140mm fs bikes seem to be popular :lol: i think its really wierd that no company has really latched on to the slack, low and light fs bike, other than the lapierre zesty, commie meta and the orange 5, it seems some people are getting it massivley wrong, missing the point or just not offering a 140mm bike ie trek, giant etc
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    the only reaon i like riding my enduro more than its much lighter cousin the stumpy is the slack head angle. i wish there was a stumpy with a slacker HA
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i really think a burly, super low, super slack 100mm FS would be good.
    like a 4X bike, but more all day ridable.
    think 100mm AM, and i would buy it.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Something like a Pitch with 160mm Fox's or Bullit with Totems
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    A 140mm slightly slack FS with excellent pedaling efficiency that could take a lot of dodgy landings...basically the same as my Wolf Ridge, but perhaps slightly lighter and better looking.
    So a spcialized pitch pro? would be my choice
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868

imo as nice as the pitch is, getting it down to a really good weight would cost a bomb, which defeats the whole point of buying it.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Without a doubt it would be my current Bionicon Edison. Hands down the very best bike I have EVER ridden - not the lightest (around 30lbs in the build I have done) but feels and rides lighter.

It's super fast and responsive on the downs with plush travel but none of that "mattress" feel that burden some big travel bikes, then with a push of the Bionicon button it is a mean climber.

Perfect trail centre and all day ride - plus the fact I have specced it out with loads of Hope kit means I spend more time riding and less time doing maintenance. I genuinely don't think I could find a bike that suits me better. :D
  • Anonymous
    andyrm wrote:
    Without a doubt it would be my current Bionicon Edison. Hands down the very best bike I have EVER ridden - not the lightest (around 30lbs in the build I have done) but feels and rides lighter.

It's super fast and responsive on the downs with plush travel but none of that "mattress" feel that burden some big travel bikes, then with a push of the Bionicon button it is a mean climber.

Perfect trail centre and all day ride - plus the fact I have specced it out with loads of Hope kit means I spend more time riding and less time doing maintenance. I genuinely don't think I could find a bike that suits me better. :D

damn you and your bionicon to hell, i want one.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Hahahahahaha you know you do!!! Really getting used to it now and getting my head round the fact it is making me ride so much better - the capabilities mean I have to keep raising my game.

Afan this weekend was mental - on one longish, steep, boggy and rutted climb, I put it in climb mode and blew away a couple of other guys, got really really aggro attacking the climb because I could lay down all the power with no loss of traction. Only downside was that I ended up with tunnel vision, nausea and what felt like burst lungs from digging in so hard. :lol::lol:
  • Anonymous
    its a proper revelation isnt it.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    Whyte E-120 XT with FOX QR15 Talas 160 - 120mm fork and take all the stuff off my kinesis xc>120 honestly i dont know what i would want
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I would love to have my HandsomeDog with some lighter drivetrain on it and maybe lighter wheels, It's perfect for what I do (trail centre reds/blacks) just needs to be a little lighter :wink:

Though I would have to fit a pannier rack for my commute which would break my heart :cry:
  • It would be my lat bike - a Salsa El Mariarchi 29er. With only one gear and no suspension, it was simplicity itself. If I rode it more, I could have justified keeping it.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    A Blur LTc that i am maybe about to buy...
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    My scale 20
    So Far!
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    I only have 1 bike :cry: Another +1 for the 140mm do anything bike.

I just cant justify having another because the Prophet does everything I could ever want. If I had another it would just collect dust in the garage. Saying that I'm trying to convince the wife that she needs a medium sized Blur LT in her life at the moment :lol:
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    lawman wrote:

imo as nice as the pitch is, getting it down to a really good weight would cost a bomb, which defeats the whole point of buying it.

IMO specialized = yawn - perhaps it's just that 2 of my LBS are specialized dealers and I see loads of them around. Also from what I hear they tend to suffer from a lot of bob. I was thinking more SC Blur LT...but slightly harder hitting...i'm hard to please.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    My Anthem :D

For what I ride it's perfect - has never been out of its depth at the Welsh trail centres and isn't overkill for local riding.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Ibis Mojo HD.. that probably overkill for me, but I see that the perfect 'do-it-all' bike for me :D

I only have the 1 bike too though (in sig) 140mm up front, 120mm at the back, takes whatever I can throw at it (which, admittedly, isn't much!! lol).

But yep, as much as I love the Mount Vision, the Mojo HD is my choice!
  • howie_74
    howie_74 Posts: 29
    My Lynskey M230 has to be my choice 100 mm upfront very light very fast... however i live in suffolk so not many mountains to worry about 20.3lb

http://img687.imageshack.us/i/dsc00229j.jpg/

http://img189.imageshack.us/i/dsc00230a.jpg/

http://img169.imageshack.us/i/dsc00231a.jpg/
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    howie_74 - That's gorgeous mate! :shock: