If you only had one bike

jadamson
jadamson Posts: 644
edited March 2010 in MTB general
If for some unknown reason you were only able to have 1 bike what would it be?

A hardcore hard tail, short travel full suss, long travel full suss or even a rigid? models of bikes will help :D

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    My 4 inch travel full suspension stumpy is a pretty good all rounder for me.

BTW I do only have 1 bike because I can't afford another one. :lol:

Thats my "strange" reason for only owning one bike :roll:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    a 25lb 140mm fs bike with pretty slack angles that also pedals well, but descends like a demon, so something like a zesty, mojo, meta etc
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It'd be my Soul. Well, it WAS my only bike for ages. Light but strong build, u-turn fork, and a set of rigid forks hanging on the garage wall, win.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    The past couple of weeks I have been selling hard to get down to one bike, as I have to move and will not have the space. I have ended up with my on one single speed with recons on the front, this has got to get me around and hit the trails, It's all good :D

Although saying that I caved to night and have put a wanted advert up for another 456 or summer season frame :lol:
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    It'd be my Soul. Well, it WAS my only bike for ages. Light but strong build, u-turn fork, and a set of rigid forks hanging on the garage wall, win.

The u-turn forks wouldn't be revs by any chance :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Might be
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hardtail.. 130mm to 140mm.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    would be hard this as I love all of my different type of bikes!

Prob go with a lighter fs like a GT Zascar carbon, with a spare set of wheels with slicks on
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    If I could only have one, the road bike, the 100mm hardtail and the commuting bike would all have to go leaving me with my 140mm full suss Stumpjumper.

Edit: but thats not gonna happen in this reality :twisted:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I find I just don't like having the same commuter bike as the one I have for the trails, but like bigbenj travel must be between 120mm-140mm and a hardtail.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    In all honesty, probably something like an Orange 5.

But, I'd rather have a shorter travel full sus trail bike, a hardcore hardtail, and a DH/FR bike.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    I am lucky enough to own my one - a lapierre Spicy 516, becoming increasingly modified/upgraded over time.

Pop different tyres on and it can be a marathon bike, XC bike, AM bike, DH bike. It may only excel in one of those catagories but it manages the others fine within my skill/fitness levels.

Like Peter413 - can only justify owning 1 expensive bike - so might as well make sure its a damn good one!
  • peter413
    Tom Barton wrote:
    I am lucky enough to own my one - a lapierre Spicy 516, becoming increasingly modified/upgraded over time.

Pop different tyres on and it can be a marathon bike, XC bike, AM bike, DH bike. It may only excel in one of those catagories but it manages the others fine within my skill/fitness levels.

Like Peter413 - can only justify owning 1 expensive bike - so might as well make sure its a damn good one!

Glad someone else sees sense although I'm always on the look out for a bargain :wink:
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    I only have one bike.

It would be fun owning more than one and having a choice to ride :)
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    For a single bike I would go for a hardtail for the best of both worlds.
    The Kona Kula in Scandium would probably be the choice as I love Kona HTs
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    for me it would be a bionicon golden willow.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Actually it would be a Ralegih Strika:

1330948473_8e88fa1fb7.jpg
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    supersonic wrote:

With or without the puncture?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nah, that's normal - those dual crown forks weigh it down a bit ;-)

I used to love those fork gaitors.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Mine would still be my Meta in all honesty. I'm sure the Mojo will woo me this summer, but currently I love the indestructable feeling I get from my Meta. Bit hefty but comfy for long day rides, top notch trail monster and even seems content playing on freeride courses.
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    Mine would be my spicy 316, although I have a brand new Scott Spark 20 which I haven't ridden yet (weather) so I may change my mind - doubt it though!
  • If such a thing exists, it would be a 29er full suspension (with lockout option on front and rear) "monstercross" alfine-11 (when it is realeased in near future) with 3+ inch tyres.

Not asking much, am I? Unfortunately, I suspect the asking price for such a bike would be very much! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    shortish (4, mebbe 4 and a bit inches) travel hardtail. light enough to put slicks on and go keep up with the roadies, handles wonderfully on single track, and there is very little I can't ride on it (although a fair bit I can't ride fast or without wanting to cry!)
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    One of the new 140mm scott geniuses (genii?). My current genius is a really good all rounder though too, i love it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    supersonic wrote:

1330948473_8e88fa1fb7.jpg

Ha ha I had one of these. I remember once I bent the chainstays doing endos and stuff, and my Dad just bent them back into shape with his hands :-)

Oh and BTW I do have only one bike (only one mountain bike, that is). Gary Fisher Marlin - lovely but heavy, so my ideal one bike would be a light-ish HT with 120mm forks. Cotic Soul, Rock Lobster, even a P7, something like that.
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    My Whyte 905.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    my frame(kinesis pha5e) with the new RS revelation with u turn, xt hubs on mavic 717 rims, high roller tyres, slx double chainset with xt rear and front mech, xt shifters,goodridge cables, fsa orbit headset, thomson 60mm stem with easton monkey lite bars and fsa seatpost with sdg saddle, some lock on grips and avid elixir 5 brakes 185mm/185mm

i think thats it :wink:
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    by the looks of it, the rocky mountain altitude 29er. although i don't have one, i have a carrera. just the one. after some upgrades it's doing me reet though.