Wheel buying virgin seeks reassurance

13»

Comments

• macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    Agree totally with this I tried out my wife's RS80s on my bike when I bought them for her last year, replacing my Aksiums.

Noticeably better at pulling away from start and climbing hills, no difference in top speed at all. I'll be looking for a £300 pair later this year and will seriously consider the RS80s and a few others mentioned in this thread, particularly EA90SLs and the Pro-Lites.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes and price at Chain Reaction of the Pro-Lites at Chain Reaction mentioned by pastey_boy seems really good. I am torn but saving up for something!
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • macondo01
    Anyone tried the Pro-lite Treviso's? They are £130 from Ribble. I read they are the same as the Pro-Lite Stelvio.

Thanks

National Lampoon
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Anyone know of any good current deals on the RS80s?
  • micken
    micken Posts: 275
    themightyw wrote:
    Anyone know of any good current deals on the RS80s?

Keep an eye on Ribble, their price is usually very competitive when they've got them in.
  • 3legs
    3legs Posts: 30
    More positive feedback for the RS80's from me. I 'upgraded' from Fulcrum Racing 7's. The RS80's were intended to be part of a new bike build, but they transformed the riding of the old bike so much that the new build project was put on hold. I've been using them for 6 months now and they are still perfectly true. .

The most noticeable differences that stood out on the first ride were

1) how quiet they were after the loud clicking of the Fulcrum hubs (that's something you either love or hate, and I hated it)
    2) the bike was more responsive when cornering
    3) the ride was smoother - felt like the wheels were dampening the bumps
    4) I was faster downhill (wasn't expecting this one)

Of course, in time the improvements become the norm and you forget about them. I keep thinking I should throw the old wheels back on for a week or two so that I can experience the pleasure all over again :D

Good luck with whatever you decied to buy.
  • macondo01
    Merlin have the best price for RS80's that I can find at £324

National Lampoon
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    I just ordered some Planet x model b to upgrade my commuter. :)
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    I got some cheap Sora hubs from ebay, and was going to build them myself onto some Halo Aerorage rims. Would it be cheaper overall to get someone else to build them?

Edit: Had a quote, and for the cost of Rims and building I could buy some new R500s, maybe even RS10s. Or Planet X-Bs.
  • Sorry been reading through this thread and thinking about getting new wheels. How easy is it to swap your cassette over to new wheels, I have shimano 105, and would be moving from the Bontranger wheels that came on my trek. Do I need to buy tools to move it across?
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    How do the planet x b's rate against my standard hoops which are shimano whr 500?
  • zn533
    zn533 Posts: 66
    RS80s here too. Fantastic wheels compared to my previous Easton EA50SLs and rubbish Bontrager SSRs. Got them from Merlin. Put some fancy boots on them too for the full shebang (I use Conti 4000S).

Haggisinlondon, you need an adjustable spanner or vice and a chain whip to remove a cassette. If you ask nicely your LBS might swap them over for free (saying this as a regular in Brixton Cycles).

Also, it's well known that any new bike bling will make you go faster. I'm not going to follow that sentence with a smiley.
  • nomoreexcuses
    nomoreexcuses Posts: 118
    Excellent discussion.

How about 1 rear Dura-Ace 7850 and a Planet B for the front. Enjoy that setup while saving for the other Dura-Ace. I won't end that with a smiley either.

Is it much more to buy seperate wheels than a pair?

What about these?

Mavic Ksyrium SL & Easton EA70
  • bother
    bother Posts: 31
    Sorry been reading through this thread and thinking about getting new wheels. How easy is it to swap your cassette over to new wheels, I have shimano 105, and would be moving from the Bontranger wheels that came on my trek. Do I need to buy tools to move it across?

Very easy, although you need a chain whip and a cassette removal tool