Omloop Het Nieuwsblad *spoiler*

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    iainf72 wrote:
    I feel slightly ill.

I think Pierre might be in a bad mood.

Don't worry, iain, you can always say it's not a proper race..

That should keep Pierre's inner chimp sated for a while...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave B looked crazy happy at the end there. Do you think hnow understands why road racing is a bazillion times better than that wooden circle business?

Given Brailsford raced in France for four years, I'm sure he is aware of how good road racing is.

Perhaps he's overjoyed as he's assuming (probably wrongly) he won't have to read any more fourm crap about how Sky are in for a nasty shock because they don't know anything about road racing and you can't control things like you can on the track?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    DaveyL wrote:
    Don't worry, iain, you can always say it's not a proper race..

That should keep Pierre's inner chimp sated for a while...

I'm giving up following cycling if it carries on like this.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    DaveyL wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave B looked crazy happy at the end there. Do you think hnow understands why road racing is a bazillion times better than that wooden circle business?

Given Brailsford raced in France for four years, I'm sure he is aware of how good road racing is.

Perhaps he's overjoyed as he's assuming (probably wrongly) he won't have to read any more fourm crap about how Sky are in for a nasty shock because they don't know anything about road racing and you can't control things like you can on the track?

I'm a huge fan of the Sky Team but Davey can you give it a rest? This needless crowing/chipping is adding nothing to the forum.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863
    edited February 2010

He's definitely got more top end speed than he did last year.

I thought the whole thing was destined to be a bunch sprint and he would play for that

the run in was flatter and longer and the wind didn't help breakaways..

Guesdon put in a ride..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • stefrees
    stefrees Posts: 137
    afx237vi wrote:
    stefrees wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Not one person picked Flecha...

My second choice honestly :evil:
    O

Could have sworn I picked him?

You did. Read up a bit.

that should teach my to read forum on iPhone while at work! Sorry
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    DaveyL wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Who's that aimed at?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

I'm a huge fan of the Sky Team but Davey can you give it a rest? This needless crowing/chipping is adding nothing to the forum.

I'm not a big fan either, my riposte was intended to be at the same level of seriousness and humour as afx's original comment.

On a serious note though, there was a *massive* over-reaction to the team before they even started. Some of us wished that had been "given a rest" as well.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730

He's definitely got more top end speed than he did last year.

I thought the whole thing was destines to be a bunch sprint and he would play for that

the run in was flatter amd longer and the wind didn't help breakaways..

Guesdon put in a ride..

I don't think so.

He's never ridden the Flandrian races like that.

He's easily one of the strongest, as well as having the speed, so why not try and make the race more selective?

He flatted when the selection was made, which is just bad luck. Nothing much to do with his effort on the Taaienberg.
  • A victory for black socks as well with a 1st, 2nd and 4th
    Great win for Flecha
  • mididoctors

He's never ridden the Flandrian races like that.

I know which is why he should have changed tactics

He's easily one of the strongest, as well as having the speed, so why not try and make the race more selective?

He flatted when the selection was made, which is just bad luck. Nothing much to do with his effort on the Taaienberg.

true enough the puncture didn't help...who knows what would have happened if he had been at the front of the race... well roll on the season.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Sky have benefited a lot from the precision Dave Brailford and company brought over from track racing and sky signed on for pro tour racing because of Dave Brailsford and his track team's performances over the years. Down with the naysayers and negative people on these crazy internet forums. Sky is worth supporting.
  • PauloBets wrote:
    Sky have benefited a lot from the precision Dave Brailford and company brought over from track racing and sky signed on for pro tour racing because of Dave Brailsford and his track team's performances over the years. Down with the naysayers and negative people on these crazy internet forums. Sky is worth supporting.

In reality though Sky are just another Pro team. One British DS, it's more or less as British as Barloworld but has the resources of the British Cycling team at its disposal. It'l be interesting to see how the track team go as word has it that there are a few unhappy people seeing a bunch of foreigners getting mega salaries out of their results on the track.

Good luck to them though.
  • PauloBets wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:
    A great win for Sky. They will take another big win this spring. Hopefully the disrespect some have displayed towards sky on here and elsewhere will be muted now.
    It's not disrespect - it's a healthy scepticism towards over precious fanboys.

it is disrespect, showing support for the team and what they represent should not be much to ask.

Jeez, give it a rest.
    The reason people are cool towards Sky is because people like you demand allegiance to one team, over the sport as a whole.
    We ain't the Borg and this is no fanboy collective.

Good win, today. Chapeau to Flecha, but he rode as he always rides. Not super special tactics.
    He was overdue.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DaveyL
    I don't see any reason why anyone should be compelled to offer Sky their support. I also believe that a lot of ill-judged negativity has been aimed Sky's way. It's a bit rich to see certain people moaning about positive Sky posts on the back of a win at Het Nosebleed, when many of the same were putting the boot in with glee before they'd turned a pedal. You can't have it both ways, chaps.

I don't feel like I should support them just because they're a British team, but it is nice to see guys like Downing getting a shot at this level via the team.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • PauloBets wrote:
    Sky have benefited a lot from the precision Dave Brailford and company brought over from track racing and sky signed on for pro tour racing because of Dave Brailsford and his track team's performances over the years. Down with the naysayers and negative people on these crazy internet forums. Sky is worth supporting.

In reality though Sky are just another Pro team. One British DS, it's more or less as British as Barloworld but has the resources of the British Cycling team at its disposal. It'l be interesting to see how the track team go as word has it that there are a few unhappy people seeing a bunch of foreigners getting mega salaries out of their results on the track.

6 or 7 of 11 management are Brits, one is DS, 8 riders of 26 are Brits, registered in the UK. They are a UK team and will support UK races like the Tour of Britain and they will give the riders a fairer crack of the whip than foreign teams would and up coming Brits in years to come will have a fair chance of a team place now sky is here. It is an English speaking team, US and Aussies too. It is worth great support and the British public may even pay attention with the theme of a British team to interest them.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Great win for Flecha and Sky.
  • DaveyL
    Is the Archer GP still running? Would be good to see Flecha ride there. :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • mididoctors
    DaveyL wrote:
    Is the Archer GP still running? Would be good to see Flecha ride there. :D

:lol:
  • Haussler's handling of the interminable second-place jibes from studio commentary was commendable.......congratulations on your second place Haussler. :D
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • Alas, no Archer GP again this year
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    PauloBets wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

6 or 7 of 11 management are Brits, one is DS, 8 riders of 26 are Brits, registered in the UK. They are a UK team and will support UK races like the Tour of Britain and they will give the riders a fairer crack of the whip than foreign teams would and up coming Brits in years to come will have a fair chance of a team place now sky is here. It is an English speaking team, US and Aussies too. It is worth great support and the British public may even pay attention with the theme of a British team to interest them.

I'm confused. Why should a British team give riders a better crack of the whip than 'foreigners'?

Without foreigners there would be precisely zero pro road cycling to watch so a little humility wouldn't go amiss.

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

I'm confused. Why should a British team give riders a better crack of the whip than 'foreigners'?

Without foreigners there would be precisely zero pro road cycling to watch so a little humility wouldn't go amiss.

because they have a sense patriotism and want to grow the sport in this country by supporting British riders. You negative people don't care about that obviously
  • Does this mean Dennis and others will have to take out British citizenship, in order to post on here, or are "foreigners" exempt from obligatory Sky fanclub membership?
  • Nothing wrong with healthy sceptiscism- isn't necessarily negative.
    Anyone would think sometimes that procycling didn't exist before SKY. It's good to keep things in perspective.

Excellent win by Flecha though and good team performance
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • A victory for black socks as well with a 1st, 2nd and 4th
    Great win for Flecha

Yep, black socks come out top again - outstanding performance. Think they're set to dominate this classics season...
  • DaveyL
    Does this mean Dennis and others will have to take out British citizenship, in order to post on here, or are "foreigners" exempt from obligatory Sky fanclub membership?

Careful, I'm starting to like that argument... :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • hockinsk
    hockinsk Posts: 100
    Have I just stepped into a thread on who can quote each other the most in a single reply. Amazing how the thread starts out well and then the closer Sky come to winning, the more people start quoting quotes until they do win and then it sort of explodes into rants about nothing.

Anyway I make that Sky 1, Cervelo 0. Good ride by Tyler. Probably the most unexpected result for me today.
  • DaveyL wrote:
    Does this mean Dennis and others will have to take out British citizenship, in order to post on here, or are "foreigners" exempt from obligatory Sky fanclub membership?

Careful, I'm starting to like that argument... :D
    Yeah, I lost myself for a moment there.
    Where do I sign up? :P
  • Does this mean Dennis and others will have to take out British citizenship, in order to post on here, or are "foreigners" exempt from obligatory Sky fanclub membership?

you internet crazies don't seem to get it. No fan stuff needed, just post supportive messages and not dis them. What's so wrong with that?