Omloop Het Nieuwsblad *spoiler*

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    hockinsk wrote:
    Have I just stepped into a thread on who can quote each other the most in a single reply. Amazing how the thread starts out well and then the closer Sky come to winning, the more people start quoting quotes until they do win and then it sort of explodes into rants about nothing.

Anyway I make that Sky 1, Cervelo 0. Good ride by Tyler. Probably the most unexpected result for me today.

He has to be a good punt for G-W now...

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    PauloBets wrote:

you internet crazies don't seem to get it. No fan stuff needed, just post supportive messages and not dis them. What's so wrong with that?

But if you don't like something they've done, why can't you diss them? Nothing wrong with being a fan but many people on here don't buy into the "supporting a team" thing and if you aren't a fan of any particular rider on the team, why do you need to be supportive?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    +1

You're not a fan of EBH? :wink:
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    1'st British rider in the race

Roger Hammond - Cervelo

2nd - David Millar - Garmin
  • iainf72 wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

you internet crazies don't seem to get it. No fan stuff needed, just post supportive messages and not dis them. What's so wrong with that?

But if you don't like something they've done, why can't you diss them? Nothing wrong with being a fan but many people on here don't buy into the "supporting a team" thing and if you aren't a fan of any particular rider on the team, why do you need to be supportive?

You don't have to be supportive, but you are running your own little anti-sky campaign.

What exactly have they done that upsets you so much?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    A campaign? :roll:

Great win for Flecha, he's deserved that for some time.
  • iainf72

It's what I perceive as their blatant hypocrisy. Also, anything which tries to put a national identity on anything gets my back up.

I'm not "upset" but them though. Think of it more as comedic anger.
  • I also like seeing Downing up there. He is clearly capable of being a good domestique and having a punt now and a again.

I think it is worth noting that a rider wins a race like this not a team. You can have the bset team but wont win if you are not a quality rider. Sure the team is there to help and some teams are better at helping that others, but at the end of the day it is all about the legs...and being lucky.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:

What were we saying about that lack of killer instinct? :wink:

I agree and I'm pleased for him. I hope Sky do the sensible thing and put their resources behind him for Roubaix.
  • Internet crazies for remaining neutral? Oh well.

Since this thread is being viewed.
    Rinaldo Nocentini - AG2R - crashed today at GP Insubria and has sustained a fracture to his leg. Big blow for AG2R after his win in Haut Var last week.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Nice trophy.

AP

capt.34d887b039e94d5aaf5d8f54074cbba8.belgium_cycling_yl107.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Why isn't anyone going against Flecha's 'bow and arrow' or Bettini's 'rifle' but are really happy to go against Contador's 'pistol'?!

I thought it was interesting when he said he pointed at the sky to signify Sky...and for VDB (which also escapes me - was this Argentine particularly close to him?)

Reuters
    610x.jpg
    610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72 wrote:

It's what I perceive as their blatant hypocrisy. Also, anything which tries to put a national identity on anything gets my back up.

I'm not "upset" but them though. Think of it more as comedic anger.

Hypocrisy???

I'm not sure I know what you mean. Please explain. Maybe I will understand things a little better if you put me straight.
  • iainf72

I thought it was interesting when he said he pointed at the sky to signify Sky...and for VDB (which also escapes me - was this Argentine particularly close to him?)

Are you jesting?
  • For what part?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited February 2010
    I just noticed his helmet's vents are 'closed'...is this some Sky thing to make it more aerodynamic to save a few seconds or maybe simply because it keeps your head warmer?

Bettini
    bettiniphoto_0047144_1_full_600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    For some reason I can't help but think of Fulton McKay shouting the rider's name, whenever I hear "Flecha"...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Rinaldo Nocentini - AG2R - crashed today at GP Insubria and has sustained a fracture to his leg. Big blow for AG2R after his win in Haut Var last week.

Really bad news for him...he broke his tibia and fibula which is going to mean a very long time before he can ride again.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    For what part?

They were team mates at Fassa Bortolo.

One other thing, I was surprised that Flecha was at Rabobank for so long, yet his interview was in English and not Dutch or Flemish. Farrar gave his interview in Flemish.
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    afx237vi wrote:
    For what part?

They were team mates at Fassa Bortolo.

One other thing, I was surprised that Flecha was at Rabobank for so long, yet his interview was in English and not Dutch or Flemish. Farrar gave his interview in Flemish.

He speaks pretty good English in Road To Roubaix - perhaps team orders though? :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • One of the hundreds of Sky criteria for selecting riders was that they had to speak very good English. Farrar lived in Gent I think.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anyone know what happened to Mark Mcnally - Anpost Sean Kelly?
    A non finish maybe?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    DaveyL wrote:
    I don't see any reason why anyone should be compelled to offer Sky their support. I also believe that a lot of ill-judged negativity has been aimed Sky's way. It's a bit rich to see certain people moaning about positive Sky posts on the back of a win at Het Nosebleed, when many of the same were putting the boot in with glee before they'd turned a pedal. You can't have it both ways, chaps.

I don't feel like I should support them just because they're a British team, but it is nice to see guys like Downing getting a shot at this level via the team.

+1.

Some of Sky's tactics for getting riders last year left a bad taste in the mouth, but compared to some of the other teams' histories (yeah, I'm talking about doping) they're positively angelic.
  • andyp
    afx237vi wrote:

Rabobank ask foreigh riders to learn English, not Dutch. I'm not sure why.
  • andyp
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

What were we saying about that lack of killer instinct? :wink:

I agree and I'm pleased for him. I hope Sky do the sensible thing and put their resources behind him for Roubaix.

At least I was right about Quick Step. How come they always screw up this race these days? Devolder was way off the pace.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    andyp wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Rabobank ask foreigh riders to learn English, not Dutch. I'm not sure why.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I suppose it's because most Dutch people already speak English better than some English people :lol:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Dutch is a really hard language for non-native speakers. I suppose they're making it easier to integrate foreigners.

Maybe its a throwback to the days of Phil Anderson and Robert Millar at Panasonic.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Rinaldo Nocentini - AG2R - crashed today at GP Insubria and has sustained a fracture to his leg. Big blow for AG2R after his win in Haut Var last week.

Really bad news for him...he broke his tibia and fibula which is going to mean a very long time before he can ride again.

Judging by a friend who slipped on some ice and broke his tibia, he'll be out for at least a year, probably 2 till he's competetive again. Hope I'm wrong though!

Tibia is a big bone, ouch!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,680
    Timoid. wrote:
    Dutch is a really hard language for non-native speakers. I suppose they're making it easier to integrate foreigners.

Maybe its a throwback to the days of Phil Anderson and Robert Millar at Panasonic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2FdxQtHQGw

Robbie has no problem.

It's a myth it's harder than other languages to learn.

Farrah speaks a bit of Dutch because he's moved to Flanders.