Commuter Chat forum?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    Getting close to your sig's stated aim there KB. ;)
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    ... Just nick the roadies perfumes and put the MTB lot in the bath. The first lot will burst into hysterics and I think the second lot will probably melt ....
    How are Triple D's kittens getting on? :twisted:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE
    The last exchange is particularly apt ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    JonGinge wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE
    The last exchange is particularly apt ;)

Moderates Eunt Domus!!!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    iain_j wrote:
    I see more topics on here about "real world" meet-ups than the other sections.

I don't know about that. Us North West lot meet up quite regularly and ride together and all know each other quite well.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Fair enough, probably easier to spot here cos commuting is one place rather than Road which is many 8)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    iain_j wrote:
    Please don't get rid or split up commuting! When I started on bikeradar I thought it was cliquey and London-centric, until I started posting in here. It's definitely not unwelcoming. I think by definition it's all-inclusive - doesn't matter what kind of bike you commute on, geared roadie, SS/fixed, or MTB.

Looking through all the topics in Commuting General at the moment, out of all the serious ones, I can see forums in the main Road section where they "should" belong - mostly buyng advice and workshop. Most of the rest could go to Cake Stop. But then what would that leave? What is a "commuting" topic that wouldn't belong anywhere else? The place would be dead. They even had to make up a game, SCR, to have something commuting-related to talk about.

Commuting has a community spirit that I haven't seen anywhere else in bikeradar, not even Cake Stop. I see more topics on here about "real world" meet-ups than the other sections. It's much lighter-hearted, easier going. You can chat about races without it descending into doping arguments. You can mention Lance Armstrong without it ending up as a slagging match between the fanboys vs. haters.

+1 I used to post in Road but find Commuting is just far more, well, entertaining and informative across a diverse range of subjects. It does seem to me that sometimes people get het up and mention cliques when the reality plenty of folk on here that live near (and not so near) to each other have met up and become friends - witness the xmas party, the Morpeth SC, the Brizzle drinkers, the social rides and last summer's trip to Wales. Being mates hardly makes you a clique and any event raised on here is by definition open to all...

So yeah, leave things alone please!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    iain_j wrote:
    Please don't get rid or split up commuting! When I started on bikeradar I thought it was cliquey and London-centric, until I started posting in here. It's definitely not unwelcoming. I think by definition it's all-inclusive - doesn't matter what kind of bike you commute on, geared roadie, SS/fixed, or MTB.

Looking through all the topics in Commuting General at the moment, out of all the serious ones, I can see forums in the main Road section where they "should" belong - mostly buyng advice and workshop. Most of the rest could go to Cake Stop. But then what would that leave? What is a "commuting" topic that wouldn't belong anywhere else? The place would be dead. They even had to make up a game, SCR, to have something commuting-related to talk about.

Commuting has a community spirit that I haven't seen anywhere else in bikeradar, not even Cake Stop. I see more topics on here about "real world" meet-ups than the other sections. It's much lighter-hearted, easier going. You can chat about races without it descending into doping arguments. You can mention Lance Armstrong without it ending up as a slagging match between the fanboys vs. haters.

+1 I used to post in Road but find Commuting is just far more, well, entertaining and informative across a diverse range of subjects. It does seem to me that sometimes people get het up and mention cliques when the reality plenty of folk on here that live near (and not so near) to each other have met up and become friends - witness the xmas party, the Morpeth SC, the Brizzle drinkers, the social rides and last summer's trip to Wales. Being mates hardly makes you a clique and any event raised on here is by definition open to all...

So yeah, leave things alone please!

+1 to both the above. This is a clique that has such a loose entry policy I'm in it, and pretty much anyone else who'd like to join. It's the mix of people and the way we (in the most inclusive sense) interact that's given the place its character, why it's evolved the way it has and if it goes 'off topic' to some, well it's a big topic. And we don't want to just talk about all the miles we did in the rain (etc) every single day. It works just fine the way it is, for us the users. Leave things be please!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,947
    It's good that no ones overreacting.

What?

We're not allowed to ride our bikes anymore?

Noooooooooo
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I'm just a bike tart - ride anything with anyone :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WE HATH DECIDED!

The commuting general section shall be merged into the Road section. The rest deleted. That way it is UNTOUCHED! Different link.

But... newcomers will invariably migrate to the road section, and see a choice of fora.
  • tailwindhome
    supersonic wrote:
    WE HATH DECIDED!

The commuting general section shall be merged into the Road section. The rest deleted. That way it is UNTOUCHED! Different link.

But... newcomers will invariably migrate to the road section, and see a choice of fora.

Will the spirit of the commuting forum be allowed to continue as is or will moderators start closing and moving threads which they feel should be in other sections of the road forum such as cake stop, sportive etc?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • stuaff
    supersonic wrote:
    WE HATH DECIDED!

Nice to see that you took our views into consideration.............why not go into politics instead?
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    supersonic wrote:
    WE HATH DECIDED!

That's it, CX and off-road commuters, we don't want your kind here any more.
  • tailwindhome
    supersonic wrote:
    WE HATH DECIDED!

We never did

We tried name-calling but they just kept hanging around
  • lost_in_thought
    supersonic wrote:
    WE HATH DECIDED!

We never did

Yeah, at least the moderators are finally taking desicive action to rid us of them once and for all.

What's more, nobody will have any excuse to buy a hybrid. You use a tow-path? Well that's not road now is it? What are you doing here in Road-->Commuting?

It's a shame there's not a general section for all types of commuter. They could call it Commuting General or something.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    supersonic wrote:
    WE HATH DECIDED!

Why's that?

They can do that by clicking on "Road" or using the drop-down navigator thingy at the bottom of the page. Or have I missed something?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • stuaff
    supersonic wrote:
    WE HATH DECIDED!

We never did

Yeah, at least the moderators are finally taking desicive action to rid us of them once and for all.

What's more, nobody will have any excuse to buy a hybrid. You use a tow-path? Well that's not road now is it? What are you doing here in Road-->Commuting?

It's a shame there's not a general section for all types of commuter. They could call it Commuting General or something.

+1. It wasn't broke, so it needed to be fixed apparently......
    (Insert multiple expletives of your choice to express derision)
  • stuaff
    cjcp wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    WE HATH DECIDED!

Why's that?

They can do that by clicking on "Road" or using the drop-down navigator thingy at the bottom of the page. Or have I missed something?

Well, it seems someone thinks we're all thick......I've only been using computers since 1982, I don't have a clue, honest....
    What you mean is,
    "We've ignored the wishes of this particular section's users, who were perfectly happy with the way that it worked, and we can't even be bothered to pretend that we paid the slightest attention to what they, our public whose interests we allegedly represent, actually wanted. Then we'll treat them like little kids and claim it's actually an improvement and good for them".
    Just leave it alone, for pete's sake..........
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    Don't worry, he was joking.

We're not moving Commuting into the Road section. Nothing's been decided yet.
  • stuaff
    whyamihere wrote:
    Don't worry, he was joking.

We're not moving Commuting into the Road section. Nothing's been decided yet.

Not a terribly funny joke. It ain't broke, don't fix it. Please.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol, I was joking, the chances of this happening are pretty slim!

;-)

If there will be any changes (and nothing is set) it will be very most likely a basic renaming of what we have. All the comments on here have been taken on board, and at least one admin has championed the community spirit.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    supersonic wrote:
    Lol, I was joking, the chances of this happening are pretty slim!

;-)

If there will be any changes (and nothing is set) it will be very most likely a basic renaming of what we have. All the comments on here have been taken on board, and at least one admin has championed the community spirit.

Arre the mods going to pick up the toys? :twisted:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    toys what toys?

better find the Pram first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lost_in_thought
    When I was a kid, if I said something that p!ssed everyone off, I'd always jump in with 'oh I was totally joking...'

Glad to see it still works. ;)

But we won't have as much clout to convince people they need road bikes if we aren't in road...
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    /me throws supersonics toys into the spokes of the WAIH wheel...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • stuaff
    When I was a kid, if I said something that p!ssed everyone off, I'd always jump in with 'oh I was totally joking...'

Glad to see it still works. ;)

But we won't have as much clout to convince people they need road bikes if we aren't in road...

+1. I think supersonic knows how DDD feels sometimes.....! ;)

I neither have a pram nor any toys, point taken though...I'm sure I speak for many in the clique (lol) when I say that myself and others might have overreacted slightly, but we've demonstrated the aforementioned community spirit in doing so.
    And relax.........
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I was heart broken to see how fast the baying mob of roadies turned on the CX crew as soon as the announcement was made.

Sometimes a person's true colours emerge when under pressure.

I've got your cards marked. When I see your bikes I'm going to change your tyres for 35c semis, fit mudguards, a rack, flat pedals and flat bars.

Barstards.

and you smell.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lost_in_thought
    I was heart broken to see how fast the baying mob of roadies turned on the CX crew as soon as the announcement was made.

Sometimes a person's true colours emerge when under pressure.

I've got your cards marked. When I see your bikes I'm going to change your tyres for 35c semis, fit mudguards, a rack, flat pedals and flat bars.

Barstards.

and you smell.

I reckon it's safe to say you smell worse.

When did you last wash that cape?