Commuter Chat forum?

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Has anyone else noticed that people are having to open threads with OT (off topic) on here? Surely there should be a place where commuters can chat about anything without having to start a thread with OT?

And before people suggest that they use the roadies cakestop or the MTBers crudcatcher, I am sure that there are commuters on this forum that don't use either of those.

Not sue if any of that made sense, but I hope you can see what I am saying; Why dont we have a commuting chat forum?

Comments

• Kiblams
    I just had a thought; Why do we have a MTB forum for 'none-MTB' threads, and a roadie forum for 'none-roadie' threads. Shouldn't these be one big 'none-bike' forum? :?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Non-commuters don`t necessarily want to mix with commuters.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Kiblams
    antfly wrote:
    Non-commuters don`t necessarily want to mix with commuters.

If true, that is a sad reality :cry:
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    edited February 2010
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Im sure it`s not true of everyone.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    What shall we call it?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If it ain't broke........

TBH, I prefer the commuting forum partly because things are more mixed up. Why would we want yet more sub forums?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Generally the people on here are too lazy to look anywhere other than one place, it was a stretch to create the commuting workshop eh eh bet you didn't even know there was one.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Generally the people on here are too lazy to look anywhere other than one place, it was a stretch to create the commuting workshop eh eh bet you didn't even know there was one.

I am only just getting used to the change from the Cycling Plus forum - pls don't go mixing it up any more!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Kiblams wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed that people are having to open threads with OT (off topic) on here? Surely there should be a place where commuters can chat about anything without having to start a thread with OT?

And before people suggest that they use the roadies cakestop or the MTBers crudcatcher, I am sure that there are commuters on this forum that don't use either of those.

Not sue if any of that made sense, but I hope you can see what I am saying; Why dont we have a commuting chat forum?

We had that a section called soapbox. This served the forum well for 6 years until in their wisdom the new moderators deleted it
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • It is a bit silly that some of the threads in Cake Stop don't get read on Commuting and vice versa. Surely the simplest way of avoiding the duplication of threads (which happens because roadies don't come over here, or commuters don't go over there) would be to have 2 routes into Cake Stop - 1 via Commuting, 1 via Road.

So

BikeRadar Forum Index > Commuting > Cake stop

and

BikeRadar Forum Index > Road > Cake stop

(All cyclists have earned the right to cakes and off-topickery.)
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    It is a bit silly that some of the threads in Cake Stop don't get read on Commuting and vice versa. Surely the simplest way of avoiding the duplication of threads (which happens because roadies don't come over here, or commuters don't go over there) would be to have 2 routes into Cake Stop - 1 via Commuting, 1 via Road.

So

and

That sir, is not a bad idea!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    It is a bit silly that some of the threads in Cake Stop don't get read on Commuting and vice versa. Surely the simplest way of avoiding the duplication of threads (which happens because roadies don't come over here, or commuters don't go over there) would be to have 2 routes into Cake Stop - 1 via Commuting, 1 via Road.

Do you hate the mountain bikers that much? :p
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Canny Jock wrote:

So

and

That sir, is not a bad idea!
    Not a feasible idea either.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I'd imagine that the simplest way would be to move 'Commuting' back into the 'Road' board and use the boards as intended.

One reason that I rarely pop my head into Commuting is that's wearying wading through all the off-topic threads to find a commuting one.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    whyamihere wrote:

Why isn't it feasible? From a technical point of view, I don't see any difficulty with it. Might take a little bit of PHP hackery, but that's about it.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Crapaud wrote:
    I'd imagine that the simplest way would be to move 'Commuting' back into the 'Road' board and use the boards as intended.

One reason that I rarely pop my head into Commuting is that's wearying wading through all the off-topic threads to find a commuting one.

Yes, I agree.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Agent57 wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

Why isn't it feasible? From a technical point of view, I don't see any difficulty with it. Might take a little bit of PHP hackery, but that's about it.
    PHP hackery's off the cards.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I like this place the way it is.
  • It is rather like cake stop here, but on the whole I like it as it is, I do read and post in road/MTB.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Why does it need to change? What's the problem? The forum is healthy and active.

If you create a commuting cake stop forum it would serve to break up/seperate the (online) community that has developed in this section. A community that has developed because this section is the way it is.

Half the reason we feel comfortable posting things above and beyond "our journey to work today" and rigidly commuter specific topics is because a community has developed.

It's the commuter based topics that have made us better riders and more knowledgeable about cycling. It's the off-topic stuff (that have spun out of the serious stuff) that has made us friends. Threads born from this section is why we meet at the pub and all are welcome to do so, why we have SCR X-mas parties, why there has been at least one group weekend away to Wales and why, on occasion when its not raining, we go on social weekend rides. Finally it's why I'll be doing my first of two sportives ever and why I have completely turned my health and lifestyle around (I'm sure others have equal personal gains from this section). The Commuting section, as it is, is only a few steps away from a cycle club.

What I like about this section is that when you do have a serious question these are often met with friendly answers containing some of the most helpful information available. But the 'cake' makes this section less intimidating when asking those serious questions.

My personal view?

Leave it alone.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why does it need to change? What's the problem? The forum is healthy and active.

If you create a commuting cake stop forum it would serve to break up/seperate the (online) community that has developed in this section. A community that has developed because this section is the way it is.

Half the reason we feel comfortable posting things above and beyond "our journey to work today" and rigidly commuter specific topics is because a community has developed.

It's the commuter based topics that have made us better riders and more knowledgeable about cycling. It's the off-topic stuff (that have spun out of the serious stuff) that has made us friends. Threads born from this section is why we meet at the pub and all are welcome to do so, why we have SCR X-mas parties, why there has been at least one group weekend away to Wales and why, on occasion when its not raining, we go on social weekend rides. Finally it's why I'll be doing my first of two sportives ever and why I have completely turned my health and lifestyle around (I'm sure others have equal personal gains from this section). The Commuting section, as it is, is only a few steps away from a cycle club.

What I like about this section is that when you do have a serious question these are often met with friendly answers containing some of the most helpful information available. But the 'cake' makes this section less intimidating when asking those serious questions.

My personal view?

Leave it alone.
    +1

Very well said DDD

Commuting is the one place on the site where what type of bike you chose to ride is not important - we've roadies, fixie'ers, ss'ers, mtbers, hybrid'ers, even crossers :shock: all here linked by the fact we chose to commute to work on our bike.

Cycling is changing, its becoming less about knowing your gear ratio or how many inches of travel you have (mtb dirty chat), and this forum really reflects that change
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    DonDaddyD wrote:

My personal view?

Leave it alone.

Again +1.

Spot on. Even for those who dont live/ride in London its a nice place to post. The OT threads give the place a sense of friendship. Post OT on the Mtb board and every body slags you off. Ask a silly or even a novice question, you get slagged off. On here, you get the micky taken, but in a fun way, and occasionally get the answer you were after.
    Please dont change it.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

My personal view?

Leave it alone.

It's not a big problem, DDD, but it does happen fairly often that threads end up getting duplicated in Cake Stop and on OT Commuting threads. (I can't speak for MTB because I never go over there - there are few mountains in Deptford and the nearest place at the dizzying altitude of 100 metres is over 5 miles away, heights which can only be scaled by road, anyway.) Sometimes information does not cross over, leaving one part of the wider cycling community unaware of what's going on. Another minor bug-bear for some is the proliferation of OT threads on Commuting General.

That was why I suggested having more than one route into Cake Stop, a bit like a café with more than one entrance. And why whyamIhere responded by saying that it wasn't feasible anyway, so my guess is that the set up isn't likely to change.

Meanwhile, I'll just continue to scan more than one forum to find topics that interest, concern or amuse me. You're right, that's no big problem.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    as has been said...the commuter forum IS an OT forum....many of the posts are not about commuting...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    It ain't broke so there's no need to fix it.....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    cee wrote:
    as has been said...the commuter forum IS an OT forum....many of the posts are not about commuting...

Hmmm... many.

Not "many" but a few at least. The duplicates come from people not searching before they post - cakestop won't stop that at all. Every knows and loves the lights threads that with military like precision start anew every 2 weeks or so...

It is about commuting however so while someone from Roadie might see a topic as being OT (because its not about lycra, ratios or carbon bottle cages) - it actually might not be as regarded by frequenters of this area. As DDD said and others have echoed, there is more a bit of camaraderie here that is helped by the properly OT topics here.

Anyway. Get back to job!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099

So

and

Good call

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    fenboy369 wrote:
    Post OT on the Mtb board and every body slags you off. Ask a silly or even a novice question, you get slagged off.

I don't think that's fair to be honest.

The MTB section, as with the road section, has a specific OT area, so if you were to put something silly in MTB General or Road Buying Advice, then you'd be told off for it, but rightly so. People ask silly questions all the time, and they get helpful answers all the time.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    fenboy369 wrote:
    Post OT on the Mtb board and every body slags you off. Ask a silly or even a novice question, you get slagged off.

Really? How very humourless of them. That's it, I'm not buying an off-roader until the kids are old enough to ride with me

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    whyamihere wrote:
    PHP hackery's off the cards.

Ah, well, if the site owners are against modifying it, I guess that's a bit of a blocker, yeah.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)