What is your cycling goal for 2010?

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited October 2010 in The bottom bracket
Currently and if you have one, when you ride what is your main goal would you say for 2010? Is it to simply enjoy the process of riding, or to improve your technique, climbing, general fitness, or maybe to enter or win sportives, races etc?

Mine is to get super strong at climbing so I can hammer Morzine-Avoriaz, the Joux Plane and the Ramaz in good times this July and then maybe do a couple of sportives in the autumn.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    How are you going to get good at the mountains?

I have a similar goal.

I got smashed by a friend in the mountains last summer and unfortunately vowed I would smash him this year.

Just lots of burrying yourself for 1 and a half hours, little rest, and repeat?
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    I've got some very hilly rides around my way fortunately, so plenty of hard rides and repeat climbing which I love and general strength work; nowt too fancy.
  • rick_chasey
    Hills pfft.

Only hills I ever see round here are road bridges.

*sigh*
  • 3 top 10 placings or 1 win in cat 3/4 Road Races

Under 24 minutes for 10

Win the club Hillclimb Champs

Enjoy my week long ride across the pyrennees.

Under 6 1/2 hours for Etape Du Dales.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I'm making my sportif debut in the Dragon Ride in June. Just finishing the 190km will do me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm making my sportif debut in the Dragon Ride in June. Just finishing the 190km will do me.

Definitely. Looks brutal.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Compete in my first road race for 14 years, get under 26 minutes for a 10 and 1.10 for 25 (previous PBs 24.20 and 1.03.17). But mainly to get fit and enjoy my cycling again :D
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Continue to enjoy it and become a better climber.

I'm not a bad climber at 5'11"/68kg, but there's always room for improvement!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MRadd
    MRadd Posts: 205
    Complete the Forest of Dean spring classic in under 5 hours and without dying...

Move up a category on the road...

Improve my TT pb's...

Do a 12 hour TT!!!

Get the University Team to train properly for once!
    : "Why don't i remember breaking my face?" :

: Semi Professional Grease Monkey, Full time Tea boy... :
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    edited February 2010
    Finish my first ever sportive (Dragon Ride).

Complete the Richmond Park 3-lap challenge in under 60mins (20mph average)

Get some nice Dura Ace wheels as a reward!
  • Do my first ever sportive. Do my first ever race.
  • COmmute lots.

Don't fall off my bike (failed once already this year, on black ice)
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Alpe d'Huez in July is my primary goal (any other climbs in the area will be a bonus).
    :)
  • 25 mile TT, One hour. Oh yes I will finally this year :twisted:
  • Do my first ever 100+ mile (or 150+km) sportive. And, later in the year try cyclocross to keep me fit as the roads have been too icy this year to do much training.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    None of this sportif malarky for me, the home baking's better in audax. :wink:

Aiming for the Deeside Loop 200km. I'll be pushing it to be ready by the end of May, but if all goes to plan the rest of the year should be a breeze. Officially the total climb is 3105m even though Bikely claims 1817m. :?

If you check out the profile in the link it'll explain why I'm giggling hysterically while I type this.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Cubic wrote:

Of course, you more likely to get round Richmond Park in 60 mins WITH the Dura Ace wheels. Best place your order now :D
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Cubic wrote:

Of course, you more likely to get round Richmond Park in 60 mins WITH the Dura Ace wheels. Best place your order now :D

Don't say dangerous things like that! :wink: Especially as the scandium versions are currently about £386 in Holland at the moment!!! http://www.salden.nl/default.asp?pid=53&fs=6429&catid=3188
  • 1 - sub 35 min 12.5mile TT on the Pool Triangle
    2 - sub 28 min 10mile TT
    3 - lose another half a stone to make going uphill a bit easier (see below)
    4 - to not be last up every hill on whatever sportives I do this year with my two brothers-in-law
    5 - get a new bike before the end of the year (might make 1,2 and 4 a bit easier)
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Aiming for the Deeside Loop 200km.

Ouch. But annoyingly you've got me interested in this now, hmm, will have to start training properly if I want to get around that one.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    sub hour 25. maybe do a couple of road races.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Sub 21 min 10m TT
    Sub 1:55 50m TT
    Sub 4 hour 100m TT
    260mile + 12hr TT

Hopefully with that the club BAR championship, though that will mean a cracking season all round to achieve the club BAR.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    With snow, sleet, working late, a newborn baby, more snow and bike repairs to be had, I'd be happy just to get out in 2010!

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been out in 2010! Not good.

I think I'd be happy just to get out and lose a bit of weight, and get back to my summer 2009 form of 18.5 mph averages.
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Build 2 bikes (audax/light tourer and cross bike).
    JOGLE in June.
    Lots of Sportives
    Possibly Cross next winter
    Enjoy cycling
  • 1/ 50 miler in Skibbereen (Co. Cork) in July
    2/ www.roar.ie in May
    3/ www.gaelforcewest.com in August
    4/ Co-operation Ireland Maracycle in June
    5/ Finn MacCool in September

The first three are definates, the last two are hopefuls. Just enjoy the bike and a bit of kayaking and jogging in the hills thrown in and make my (modest) target for the year - see ticker below.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    1 - sub 35 min 12.5mile TT on the Pool Triangle
    2 - sub 28 min 10mile TT
    3 - lose another half a stone to make going uphill a bit easier (see below)
    4 - to not be last up every hill on whatever sportives I do this year with my two brothers-in-law
    5 - get a new bike before the end of the year (might make 1,2 and 4 a bit easier)
    Manage No 1,& then No 2 will be a walk in the park!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Mic_Waka
    Mic_Waka Posts: 44
    edited May 2010
    Delete This Account Admins
  • JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    plan for the year is few sportives

dragon ride and dartmoor classic to be completed in faster times than last year...

complete bonty 24/12 as a solo 24 hr. i know its mtb but need a break from some of the road stuff this year
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Mic_Waka wrote:
    ... My garmin said it was just over 26% at one point and didnt get much below 15%. Nice 60mph decent though :D
    * gulp * :shock:

That'll be the steep lumpy bit on top of the second big lumpy bit then? I'll need to find some longer, steeper climbs to do!

Eh, if you're interested the details arehere. Change 'region' to Scotland and scroll down. It's only £5 (+ £2 temp insurance if not an AUK member).
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • 1, Not to let wedding planning eat into my weekends so much that I'm stood at the altar over my normal weight.
    2, Complete a few sportives/audaxs.
    3, Great Notts 50 miler on the tandem with the Mrs to be.