Garmin Edge 705 any good?

Comments

• (mmmmm Tanhurst Lane.... [drools] I'll be there at the weekend.)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    brucey72 wrote:
    I have entered a postcode using the following method:

Where to > Find Places > Addresses > Scroll down to (Enter City) and type the postcode and press enter > Scroll down to (Enter Number) and type a number or letter and the system should then bring up a list of relevant addresses > just click on the correct one and away you go.

Clear as mud eh? :wink:

This worked for me with an older version of City Navigator, but It doesn't seem to work for me (and a few others) with 2010 (from DVD).
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:
    This worked for me with an older version of City Navigator, but It doesn't seem to work for me (and a few others) with 2010 (from DVD).

I've got 2010 on DVD and it works (sorry not that helpful was it). What version of firmware are you running?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    amaferanga wrote:

I've got 2010 on DVD and it works (sorry not that helpful was it). What version of firmware are you running?

Its actually on an Etrex Legend HCx with the latest firmware, but there was a thread on here a little while back where a few 705 users had the same problem.
    More problems but still living....
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    It doesn't work for me using City Navigator 2010 (from DVD), with 3.10 firmware on a 705... :oops:
    I'd love to here any other ideas, though... :D
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Yes, nor me - I can't get postcodes up either.
    What I have noticed is, that if you press GO TO nearest places, for a brief nano second you can see a 'map' icon flick across the screen, and then gives you the info. However if GO TO/FIND addresses, no icon appears. Therefore I don't think it is 'accessing' a map at all. So I think there is a glitch in the software.
  • For what it's worth I've had the 605 for 6 months or so now and found it to be excellent with the City Navigator European Maps especially if you use www.bikely.com or something similar to plan routes in advance. I don't even bother taking back up maps with me now when I go on holiday. Off to Flanders over Easter and I'll plot various routes in advance and load them on the 605 so I won't need maps.

If you plan a route it's best to switch off the automatic recalculation function. If you go off route it seems to lose the planned route and just calculate a new route to take you back to the start by the most direct route.

Battery life is also very good, mines not run out during a ride yet so I don't know how long it will last but it's still had plenty off life left after rides of 10-12 hours.

The home function is also very good but the route it takes depends on the settings and whether you've asked it to avoid main roads.

The only difference between 605 and 705 apart form the price is that the 605 doesn't have the same training functions. If you just want it to plan routes and find your way I'd go for the 605 instead.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    The only difference between 605 and 705 apart form the price is that the 605 doesn't have the same training functions.

and the 705 gets a barometric altimeter.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    605 has plenty of trianing functions.

Just it's missing things like:

Infared (So you can transfer courses between other 705's)
    Cadence Monitor
    HRM
    I think the 705 has support for power meter too?
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    hopper1 wrote:
    10 hours :shock: :shock: ... What on Earth were you doing?....
    I have a 705. Not had it long, but I think it's an awesome bit of kit.
    AFAIK, if you switch it on then go for a ride and become tired, so want the quickest route home, there is a facility in it for recording your home position, and it takes you directly back. :wink:
    Go over to 'training' and 'Road buying advice' for far more threads and plenty of info.

Yep, if for any reason it get's it's knickers in a twist, just go to Where to, and back to start.
  • freehub
    For some reason with my 605, when I try calculate routes, it seems to get stuck at 100% and do nothing, has always done this :\
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    I find mine sticks on 100% on the screen, but when you press the button it clears and has recalculated the result.
    Small bug maybe?
    I'm also pretty sure it doesn't have infrared?

I thought the 605 was designed for someone who couldn't afford the 705 ;)
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    pickled wrote:
    I find mine sticks on 100% on the screen, but when you press the button it clears and has recalculated the result.
    Small bug maybe?

ooh, you little snob you...;-)

/has a 705..
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Has any one tried the Garmin Edge 500.Its looks to be quite good and only £219.99.Was thinking of geting one!!!.
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • freehub
    pickled wrote:
    Small bug maybe?

Indeed, I was stupid though, at the time of ordering my 605, I could of got a 705 with HRM for around 20-30 quid more, it was only £225.

The 705 has a facility where by you can transfer courses from one 705 to another.
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    If anyone wants my 705.......you can take mine from my cold dead hands.

I got mine from Handtec which was cheapest I could find at the time, just got the UK city navigator maps as I was strapped for cash and figured if I get the money to go riding in europe another £50 or so on top of the trip won't be too much. I got the HRM cadence bundle.

The cadence meter is also a rear wheel speedo so good for the turbo trainer, and the GPS and speedo work together to calibrate for wheel sizes for you without you doing anything. The speedo also carries on logging mileage when you're somewhere where GPS won't work (like under thick trees in surrey hills in the summer).

It's brilliant, i mainly use it for logging rides and keeping a track of improvements, but the navigation is very handy for downloading routes off gps sites like bikely, gpsies and so on. Counting down the miles on sportives also seems to make them feel easier when you're in unfamiliar country.

I've used the 'get me home' once when I got lost and whilst it does some odd things to avoid really big roads, it did get me there safely, maybe 2 miles further on a 10 mile route was as bad as it ever did.

The map isn't great detail, but for road riding all you need to know is left/right/straight on and major landmarks like villages or petrol stations so it's a bit irrelevant, but good enough to be reassuring that you're where you think you are.

The manual is utter crap and you need to set aside a good couple of hours with it and Google to figure it all out before entrusting your life to it, but the product itself is amazing.

If you're a real gadget fiend, it also happily replaces the head unit of any ANT+ power meter which means, SRM, Powertap and Quarq, so some of the cost could be offset there.

You can actually do a lot of the navigation or route tracking on a GPS enabled mobile (iphone / blackberry and many others) but batter life is teh limiting factor, I gave up on that and took the plunge for a 705 when I started doing regular rides of 4 hours +

I'm told that they're good for rides of over 12 hours by people who have done them on several occasions.

In all, they're not 100% perfect, it's still pretty early days for this sort of technology for cycling, but they beat any other cycle computer and mobile GPS product I've ever used.

The only people i know that don't like them are people that haven't got one 8)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Got the team garmin road package from Wiggle last year and is the best bit of kit I have ever bought (other than bikes). Screen is low res (for battery life) but you can zoom in enough.

I mainly use it for data recording and shutting the FB's up at work who doubt my sunday club run mileage.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • I must be pretty thick:

I'm trying to enter an address in the 705 - not from a PC but in the device itself. I find the postcode, but then what do I do? If I press the 'Enter' joystick it takes me back up a level and forgets what I've just done. Nothing to suggest anything at all - no 'Enter' buttons, or 'Go to' or anything like that.

Can anyone help me? I know I'll kick myself...

Cheers,
    Andy
  • have a look here for everything how to work your garmin

http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/
  • The Site didn't have what I needed, I found this:

"If you have more than one map type (topo and navigator for example) loaded onto the Edge, then you can’t search on addresses – even if you deselect one of the map types. The workaround is to install City Navigator on the Micro SD card and install Topo onto the Garmin Edge’s memory. There’s plenty of room on the Edge’s internal memory, but I just selected only the areas of the country I regularly ride in. You also need to deselect the City Navigator map in map options if you want to see the contours from the Topo map."
    http://www.velorider.co.uk/wp02/?p=29

But I only have City Navigator installed. However, if I take the City Navigator microSD card out, then I can find some places via the device.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You have to put a postcode in, and a number, and then it works IME.

Although the routes it makes for you tend to be pants.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Outstanding thanks James
  • redddraggon
    I haven't put a post code in like that since I bought it....I've just had a play with my 705......where the hell do you put the postcode?

Where To? > Find Places > Addresses

That only gives me:

Enter Region
    Enter City
    Enter Number
    Enter Street Name

:?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Put it in the City field - not exactly obvious is it.
  • redddraggon
    Ok I've done that twice now, and both times inputting the post code + number has found the address but once I click "enter" on the address the garmin just switches off.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I'm pretty sure I read somewhere this eve that other people have reported this, check you got the latest firmware etc.
  • redddraggon
    Yep I have latest firmware
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    Had more of a play. Seems to die only when I put my Parents post code in, seems to work with every other post code though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Yes, I can't even put a post code in. Latest Firmaware. Simply goes to Where to and I can find 'nearest places' or city, but it won't pick up postcodes, or streets. There's been lots of posts on this. It just puts 'none found'. It's as though the map is being 'picked up' to search, whereas on 'city' or 'nearest places' you briefly see a map icon before it gives you a list of places.
    darn nuisance!
  • I've been playing with one of these that I borrowed from a colleague for a few days now, it's a pretty damned fine gadget, sorry, piece of kit, and I think I'm gonna take the plunge....