Call from the mailroom

13»

Comments

• Roastie wrote:
    You know it Mike! The wide profile Tektros I was racing with before were sweet (for cantis), but in the really mucky conditions like we had Sunday, discs are just in a different league. A wet commute should be child's play.
    Reassuring given that my wet commute is a lot like a mudbath CX race. :lol:

Mike
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    mudcovered wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    You know it Mike! The wide profile Tektros I was racing with before were sweet (for cantis), but in the really mucky conditions like we had Sunday, discs are just in a different league. A wet commute should be child's play.
    Reassuring given that my wet commute is a lot like a mudbath CX race. :lol:

Mike

I'm giving up on cantis for the commute. Very embarrassing, too, when racing with brakes which squeal like hell.

@Roastie - sorry, just spotted your reply. Good stuff. Can't blame your tools now, though :wink::) . Which forks are you using?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    I'm giving up on cantis for the commute. Very embarrassing, too, when racing with brakes which squeal like hell.

Know what you mean although I've managed to get mine set up so they don't do that either. I'd just like to get rid of the oh sh*t moment you get sometimes when you pull the brake lever in the wet.

Mike
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Will you be doing a version with rim brakes? ie for the non CX commuter? Call me a purist but I've never struggled with rim brakes even in heavy rain...

Top work though, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at some point.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Jamey wrote:
    Roastie - does having the brake caliper mounted inboard on the chainstay mean you have to loop the cable around, like you would with a rear mech? Or can you reverse the orientation of calipers? Not played with discs before so apologies if it's a stupid question.
    The caliper is in the normal orientation, so the cable comes goes into the front of the caliper (if it were mounted in the seat stay it would go in the top), so no odd cable routings. Please excuse the rubbish detail pic (the bike is currently with my partner).
    b9c7ed.jpg
    @ cj: This bike is using a Kinesis DC19 carbon fork. We are looking at other options, and later having a fork built to our own specification. That said, I am impressed with the DC19 and will probably spec it to start with.

@ IP: LOL. :) I'd expect nothing less. As a "production" frame we weren't planning a non-disc version ... but ...

On the cards is a race frame (for yours truly) as I really can't be racing with a bike brand other than my own; it will be a lot lighter than the commuter/tourer (this model is designed to be robust), will have race oriented geometry and, of course, will run traditional race components. I'm looking forward to this, but attention for now is on getting the commuter/tourer right.

We are still not sure how we will structure our offering, but at the moment I'm envisioning a custom line in parallel with the "standard" models (though there is likely to still be the possibility of custom options on these frames too), so in short a custom race bike (or Sportive tuned) offering is definitely a possibility.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Roastie wrote:
    b9c7ed.jpg

Okay, picky - but I reckon it would look prettier if you ran the cable along the inside of the chainstay. :)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Can you also knock me one up with a horizontal top tube? It's not 2006 any more you know :)
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    Looks great, pretty much what I would consider my perfect commuting bike to be. Do you think you will cater to short people/women?
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • Roastie
    We will have a "made to measure" option, so we will be able to cater for riders of all sizes.

Same goes for horizontal top tubes...
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    Is there any more information you can give us re: when it's going to be available, what the standard geometry will be, build options, etc? As I think I said before, I'm in the market for a new commuter and something like your frame with full 'guards, rack & hub gears, etc sounds ideal.
  • Roastie
    Hey Lazyboy,

Thanks for the interest!

I expect that we'll be launching at earliest May/June. Geometry is not final yet, but it won't be a million miles off most cross bikes - "lively but stable, and able to carry a load" is what I'm aiming for. We're starting to sort out suppliers, but expect build options to be very flexible. Definitely Alfine, definitely conventional derailleurs. Sorry if this is all a bit vague, a lot of details are still being determined.

Btw, I was asked before about cable routing for Alfine - it has worked out on the proto, and will be carried over.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    So I've been having an eye of your blog.

And I'm most intrigued by what looks like a bolt to hold the driveside seatstay together. Belt drive?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Aidy - you are a true bike geek. Chapeau. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Aidy wrote:
    So I've been having an eye of your blog.

And I'm most intrigued by what looks like a bolt to hold the driveside seatstay together. Belt drive?
    :) Well spotted.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Having had the pleasure of seeing the prototype in the flesh over the weekend I can confirm it's a lovely-looking frame. The drop-outs are ace and I'm now super-excited to see Roastie starting up Such Bikes in earnest.

Cheers Roastie :)
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    A very sexy bike. Definitely interested in hearing more about it when it's in production.