Call from the mailroom

Comments

• Roastie wrote:
    This is hard work. :wink:

Off the bat, I will admit there are a few small things that will change for the production spec, but it is pretty close.

I think it needs different colour rims and tape, surely a titanium frame should be the thing that stands out! :wink:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    @ Aidy:
    Optical illusion, probably partly a result of the massive stack of spacers under the stem, running the EBB in the "up" position for racing in CX yesterday (to raise the effective BB height) and the "semi-compact" geometry.

Left the steerer long so that when my lanky partner rides it, he can get comfy with a longer stem - usually I'd have cut the steerer shorter, and the stem flipped (pointing up) for CX.

The frame itself is exactly my size and matches my Cyclefit dimensions to the mm :). Quite a luxury.
  • That's a nice bit of kit my friend - I'd prefer bright orange fittings but then I'm odd :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Looking good. Any plans for full mudguard fittings?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Looks nice. I'm diggin' the blue rims. I'd prefer red though. :D And really, for me, mudguards are a must for a commuting bike. I suppose those Crud guards would do though.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Roastie
    @ MonkeyMonster:
    We were going to do orange, but changed our minds last minute for this first build. TBH, we are planning to try a bunch of different looks and graphics. I have a few boxes of bar tape, and decals in different colours and styles to try.

@ Canny Jock:
    It has fittings for full guards and rack, plus loads of tyre clearance (that goes for the fork too). I just haven't got around to fitting it out yet.
  • Very nice!

It does look a little short in the rear triangle, I don't know much about bikes but envisaging a pannier on the back your foot looks like it would be in it!
  • Agent57
    "Such is life" seems rather depressing or downbeat though. I say that because most times when I hear (or say) such is life, it's in the sense that something's a bit shit, but we just have to suck it up and get on with things.

Can I get one with "Celebrate life" on it instead? :D

Do you have any idea of the price yet?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I assume the front rings are still set up for CX? It looks a little small to me. About 40ish?
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Roastie
    edited February 2010
    @ LiT: Ta. Stay length is actually a touch longer than the norm, partly for the reason you mention - I'll have to get that rack fitted pronto ;-).

@ Agent: Point taken. A bit of an in-joke as it is a reference to Ned Kelly (long story). The brand name is Such, so we were playing around a bit; the branding is also still in the prototype phase. Price - hesitant to say, but expect it to be competitive compared to other Ti frame brands. We'll also most likely do an introductory offer. Put it this way, it won't be stupid money.

@ lardboy: Well spotted - 46/36. Will fit the 52/42 as soon as I can work out where I left that short cage rear mech...
  • Roastie wrote:
    @ LiT: Ta. Stay length is actually a touch longer than the norm, partly for the reason you mention - I'll have to get that rack fitted pronto ;-).

I'm sure you've done your maths - it's probably just me being dense! :D
  • With a Ti frame can you get away with having the longer rear triangle without introducing instability in the rear wheel and compromising handling? Looking very good Mr. Roastie, liking it quite a lot. What's the overall weight like?
  • Agent57
    Roastie wrote:
    The brand name is Such

Can I put in my order for a "Screaming Lord Such" please? :D (Yeah, I know his name was spelt "Sutch")

I suppose you can do quite a lot with plays on the brand, as you've indicated. "Such A Shame", "No Such Luck", "Such A Terrible Way to Go". Hmm, I'm crap at that sort of thing. :D
  • Roastie
    @ Agent: :)

@ Undercover: Weight is one of the aspects I'm not entirely happy with that will be fixed for the production frame. I haven't had it on a scale, but it is *just* off where I want it to be.
  • Such a waste of time
    Such it and see *see what I did there*
    Such it to me one more time
    Such and Such (a time/said)
    Such a better bike than yours
    Such is life
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • The Roasted One's bike is just awesome. (Who you think held the camera in the photo shown :D ) A few small alterations and its going to be one seriously cool little bike. I'm already trying to figure out how I'm going to buy one.

Yum.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Looks great so far!

Whats the stopping power like? Unless I'm on the drop bars stopping sharply is impossible, would be interesting to feel what the discs are like, pluss the frame looks really smooth without the v-brakes
  • Roastie
    The stopping power is quite crazy. Grabbing a handful is probably a bad idea, but the feel of the brakes is also so good that it is easy to modulate between just gently brushing off speed to a full on emergency stop. It is going to be hard to go back to normal brakes after this.
  • (Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I
    <a>road</a>
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    That does look like a nice frame set up. You will have to organise a demo morning at RP to show it off to all the potential punters watching your product development.
  • Roastie
    @ fidbod: :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Looks nice, Roastie. Good on yer :) .

What did she feel like during the race?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,414
    Roastie wrote:
    The stopping power is quite crazy. Grabbing a handful is probably a bad idea, but the feel of the brakes is also so good that it is easy to modulate between just gently brushing off speed to a full on emergency stop. It is going to be hard to go back to normal brakes after this.

I don't know if the 32mm tyres make a difference, but I manage to lock up my 23C Gatorskins on a fairly regular basis, and that's just with unbranded dual pivot calipers. I'd be terrified I'd send myself over the bars at the first set of lights if the disc brakes are as powerful as you say. I guess it's something you learn to adjust to, and looking at the rate I have been getting through blocks this winter, I can certainly see the advantage of discs. Are those older Shimano levers you've rigged up for the test ride?

EDIT: BTW I have noticed a roadie on something red (no idea of the manufacturer) with disc brakes coming up Kennington Road a few times. I seem to remember the wheels looking rather small, so perhaps they were 26" with skinny rims. Don't know if he's on here though.

I should also add that I'm dead jealous of you for getting your own frame into production. Pretty much my fantasy alternative career I'd say. One day...[looks into distance wistfully]
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Roastie
    edited February 2010
    @ cj: The bike was awesome during the race (just a pity I wasn't up to the job). Of course I may be biased, but I felt it handled the tight sections far better than my previous cross frame, and generally I found that it felt a lot more confidence inspiring when chucking it around. Weight wise, it is carrying a little more than I want (I've already worked out where I want to shave the grams off), but it wasn't at all an issue in the carrying sections.

As for discs, the stopping power off road is insane. I hadn't expected they would make such a big diff on CX as the surface is so much more slippery, but because they are so consistent as well as so much easier to modulate, you get much more stopping power than you'd think.

@rjsterry: The overall braking power should not be a worry, although the disc brakes are more powerful, they are also a lot easier to modulate, so are a lot more controllable than rim brakes. It is amazing the liberties you can take with them. That said, this weekend I'll be doing more testing (in the Chilterns) with both 25c and 23c tyres.

And yep, well spotted, running my trusty old pair of 105 STIs.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    to me the big advantages of discs would be performance in the wet, avoiding rim wear, reduced need for fiddling maintenance and modulation. Calipers are fine but for a practical commuting bike I reckon discs are well worth it.

Not that I have used them for commuting yet.
  • Roastie wrote:
    As for discs, the stopping power off road is insane. I hadn't expected they would make such a big diff on CX as the surface is so much more slippery, but because they are so consistent as well as so much easier to modulate, you get much more stopping power than you'd think.
    Sounds promising. While I've got my Canti brakes tuned pretty well on my cross bike they are never going to match my MTB disc brakes for modulation and control.

Mike
  • Roastie
    mudcovered wrote:
    Sounds promising. While I've got my Canti brakes tuned pretty well on my cross bike they are never going to match my MTB disc brakes for modulation and control.

Mike
    You know it Mike! The wide profile Tektros I was racing with before were sweet (for cantis), but in the really mucky conditions like we had Sunday, discs are just in a different league. A wet commute should be child's play.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Roastie - does having the brake caliper mounted inboard on the chainstay mean you have to loop the cable around, like you would with a rear mech? Or can you reverse the orientation of calipers? Not played with discs before so apologies if it's a stupid question.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    The more I ride in this crap weather, the more frequently I have to fettle with my pads and the more new pads I feel I'm constantly putting on the more I realise how much I would love discs! :D

Be great to hear how it goes with panniers etc..
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Roastie wrote:
    First shakedown ride:
    206272c.jpg

This is hard work. :wink:

Off the bat, I will admit there are a few small things that will change for the production spec, but it is pretty close.

Love the wheels dude. 8)