Call from the mailroom

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
So, I get a call from the mailroom:

Mailroom: "We have a box here for you from abroad, but it feels like it's empty."

Me: "Ah, that would be because the contents are titanium."

Cue me gleefully running downstairs. :D

Pictures to follow. 8)

Comments

• moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Funny :D
  • Excellent!

When my Tifosi was delivered to my office the security guy said 'you've got a huge parcel... no, it can't be a bike, it's way too light'...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Reminds me of the time my order for 2 dozen helium-filled balloons arrived and I had to and get them down off the ceiling... 8)
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    What is it, what is it? :)
  • Roastie
    I've dropped a few hints that a friend and I are starting up a bike business. This is our first prototype; effectively my idea of a dream commuter bike. Crazy day - did some test fitting of parts, then spent some time sorting out the branding. This is so ridiculously exciting!

All will be revealed, but in the meantime here are a few teasers...

2ln7j2h.jpg

2n83spg.jpg
  • Aidy
    That looks very swish :)

EBB, huh - singlespeed or hub gearing it? Although... it looks like you have a rear mech hanger too, hmm...
  • Roastie
    Ta :D.

Yep, it is designed to run Alfine, single speed or fixed, normal derailleurs, ... contemplating Rohloff compatibility, but Alfine 11 might make that moot.

We're also contemplating a steel version...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Looking forward to the pix :)

(Hope all is going well with the plans.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Aidy
    I do keep pondering ultimate tourer myself, and looking into getting something custom made (I want race geometry, disc brakes, and rack/mudguard mounts). I'm a bit jealous :)
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    That looks very nice dude, I used to dream about designing my own frame and having a prototype made :lol:

I've always liked the idea of the eccentric bottom bracket to tension the chain. You prob already know this, OnOne used a similar arrangement on the InBred and I know a few that have seized completely, although that's probably more due a lack of maintenance/cleaning and a steel frame. Best of luck
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Roastie
    cjcp wrote:
    Looking forward to the pix :)

(Hope all is going well with the plans.)
    A little behind schedule and a tiny smidge over budget, but otherwise better than planned. :)
  • Roastie
    @ Aidy: CX geometry - check, discs - check, rack and guard mounts - check, custom option - check

@ Rich:I've dreamed about this for a while now - it is amazing to finally have it in the metal. I pored over the details for weeks. It was such a rush looking again at my CAD drawing and seeing all the details crafted in the metal - esp those industrial rear dropouts!

Oh yes, and the reason the On-One EBB would have seized would most likely have been be galvanic corrosion fusing alu to steel. Like a jammed seatpost, like you said, mostly happens when the parts aren't properly fitted and maintained.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Ooo I like this sound of this, drop bars? can take big tyres, solid brakes & capable of touring, it does sound like the ultimate commuter/ tourer!

Hope it all comes together for you!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Does it have cable guides in the correct places for Alfine?
  • Roastie
    @iPete: Yep, primarily for drop bars - will try out some flat bar builds too.
    vorsprung wrote:
    Does it have cable guides in the correct places for Alfine?
    It is *supposed* to, but I haven't tried test fitting the Alfine yet (my partner is "testing" the Alfine on a 29er) - will get onto that after giving the frame a thorough battering this weekend cross racing.

But if the cable guides don't quite work on this one, we'll get them right for the production version.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Exciting stuff, I'm chuffed to see a box that says wiggle on it, let alone a prototype!
    If you need any pro looking pictures of your work in progress taken, give us a shout :D
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Roastie,

mmm, sounds very interesting...

How are you thinking of sorting out shifting on the alfine/drop bar combo. My impression is that you can get a bar end shifter but not ergo type, that puts me off a bit.

My interest has been piqued by the kinesis tripster thread too.

J
  • Aidy
    jedster wrote:
    How are you thinking of sorting out shifting on the alfine/drop bar combo. My impression is that you can get a bar end shifter but not ergo type, that puts me off a bit.

http://www.sidewayscycles.com/products/index.php?id=964&clid=26
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    It sounds great. Titanium frame, disc brakes, eccentric BB, hub gears, rack and guard eyelets and drop bars. If the price is sensible I'd buy one. When do you hope to get production rolling?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Will you accept cyclescheme :idea:

If so I'm in :D
  • Roastie
    @iPete: Thanks for the kind offer - I'll definitely be in touch if/when we need a hand :).

@jedster: Aidy is spot on, we're planning to use the Versa VRS-8. Now, I just hope Versa (or Shimano themselves, perhaps?) hurry up with the 11-speed version!

@ElGordo: We're planning to start taking orders in about 2 months or so. Just typing that gives me butterflies from the excitement!
  • Roastie
    @Canny Jock: We might not be able to do Cyclescheme direct off the bat, but we plan to chat to some providers so you could buy via the provider. Must admit that at the moment we just want to get the product right - make sure it is something we're proud to put our names to.
  • Roastie
    Thanks for all the interest guys - I really appreciate it, and it makes me feel like I'm not entirely crazy wanting to create a dream commute bike!
  • I would potentially be interested too, sounds just like the kind of bike I've been thinking of getting custom-made.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm potentially interested, too. Not sure about alu after my frame failure last year, and disc brakes would provide good stopping power.

However, and this could be a clincher: what would it's FCN be? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    I'm potentially interested, too. Not sure about alu after my frame failure last year, and disc brakes would provide good stopping power.

However, and this could be a clincher: what would it's FCN be? :)

it's a Ti frame isn't it?

of the 3 bikes I have two are alu and tough as old boots both the town and MTB, the town gets all sorts of poor treatment though it a heavy weight beasty, no spring in her step...
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Reasons why Ti is good for a commuter bike, compared with carbon, steel, Al

1) it doesn't rust
    2) it is relatively light but strong

why it is bad
    1) cost

On balance I'd say that Ti isn't ideal. The advantage of being light/strong isn't so important on a bike that is carrying panniers and being ridden by someone in waterproof overtrousers. An expensive commuter bike is bad as it makes it more nickable

However having said all that, Singular Cycles seem to sell quite a few of their steel utility/touring/do anything bikes at a premium price so maybe there would be a demand for such a thing
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    On balance I'd say that Ti isn't ideal.

My take is that it is ideal IF you have somewhere very secure to store it at both ends. Given my commmuter has to survive being locked at a station during the day, I regretfully conclude it's a non-starter for me.

J
  • Roastie
    First shakedown ride:
    206272c.jpg

This is hard work. :wink:

Off the bat, I will admit there are a few small things that will change for the production spec, but it is pretty close.
  • Aidy
    Hmm, looks far too short for you - is that by design?