Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Porgy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ha! Porgy, your'e trying to bait me.
    Porgy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It is that when it snows in January it appears to be a catalyst for the Climate-bashers to get their corduroy on and start preaching that eating dolphin is bad and that I should care about turning the heating up to warm my house while all the windows are open.
    yeah - that's the level of debate I expect on here. :roll:

Your response begs the question, why are you here posting? :roll:

:?:

Why, if you don't like the level of debate, do you continue to post in this discussion or on the forum?

It's pretty easy to understand.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    You are creating an argument out of a false accusation - you said that climate change believers or words to that effect, linked the snow to climate change. In fact, it was the total f'ing opposite with a bunch of ignorant smug Clarkson lovers saying that that a cold snap disproved climate change - to which a defence was then given.

The question should have been – why do so many bloody ignorant people think that a weather event in good old blighty has anything to do with the long term global climate trend.

Answer – we are country full of small minded prats.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :evil:

Actually I read my question again. I took it the way I said after the first post was made. It seems to me that during the winter months climate change conversations happen more frequently. Usually when it snows, well for this website at least. I asked why.

As for ignorant and prat, I'm in a good mood so won't 'bite'. As for the perspective based issues, "The World doesn't exist just your perception of it". People often look at a scenario from their immediate perspective and draw larger conclusions from this. I.e. If it snowed in London in April, a lot more people in London would be receptive to talks and information about Climate Change/Global Warming. That, my dear friend is only human.

And that, my dear friend is a massive back-track!

Hmmmmm. Re-reading my original post, I don't disagree with you.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Porgy wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ok. I'm confused.

we know

Oh, you clever little sausage! I see what you've done there. Very good.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    edited February 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    and that I should care about turning the heating up to warm my house while all the windows are open.

Do you do this?

As I see it it's pretty simple.

Earth's early atmosphere was carbon rich (i.e. high levels of CO2). It was hot and violent, and not very suitable for life as we know it today.

Lots of little animals and latterly plants slowly terraformed this planet for us, using the C in the O2 and leaving Oxygen, which meant animals like us could benefit and grow from a calmer, less hot atmosphere.

These things that gathered the carbon got buried underground, locking it away.

And now we're digging it all up again at an ever increasing rate (and far faster than the earth would naturally emit it from its crusty tomb) and putting it back into the atmosphere.

What's going to happen next?

That and do you really think the stuff coming out of car exhausts and overworked boilers/power stations is good for you?

And even if it is all rubbish:

17344_240649715263_8948360263_3756649_2256913_n.jpg
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Greg66 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ok. I'm confused.

we know

Porgy

You complain about the level of debate on here and then resort to personal attacks at the first opportunity rather than engaging with Greg's light hearted post.

Take a chillaxative old bean
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Someone say Phooey?

hong-kong-phooey.jpg
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    edited February 2010
    prj45 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    and that I should care about turning the heating up to warm my house while all the windows are open.

Do you do this?

Oh come on! Do you really think I would do that. Really!?

Say it to yourself again: Have my air-con on windows open simply to have cool air when I stand next to my car. Seriously!? Who would do that?

Think of the petrol costs...
    Food Chain number = 4

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Attica wrote:
    Three words for you DDD

Worms

Can

Of

This debate has raged on and not only got heated but started getting personal.
    Can we talk about something nicer please:-

Bikes, they're great aren't they?

Has the debate also been heated up by all the Greenhouse gasses that are about - see there is the proof that we were looking for!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Attica wrote:
    Three words for you DDD

Worms

Can

Of

Bikes, they're great aren't they?

Has the debate also been heated up by all the Greenhouse gasses that are about - see there is the proof that we were looking for!!

Or...

Are all the greenhouse gases the result of all the debate? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It is that when it snows in January it appears to be a catalyst for the Climate-bashers to get their corduroy on and start preaching that eating dolphin is bad and that I should care about turning the heating up to warm my house while all the windows are open.

Why, if you don't like the level of debate, do you continue to post in this discussion or on the forum?

i post on the forum becasue it is fun, and often makes me laugh.

i posted on this thread because ignorance needs to be challenged.
  • Porgy
    Attica wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ok. I'm confused.

we know

Porgy

You complain about the level of debate on here and then resort to personal attacks at the first opportunity rather than engaging with Greg's light hearted post.

Take a chillaxative old bean

what personal attack?

That was a joke. Who needs to take a chillaxative ?

btw - it wasn't light hearted at all - it was heavily sarcastic and designed to provoke a response - I thought my reply had more humour in it that the post I replied to tbh.
  • Porgy

Debate? Is there one of them going on? where?
  • DonDaddyD
    edited February 2010
    Porgy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

i post on the forum becasue it is fun, and often makes me laugh.

Feck me it must be a pretty challenging discussion you're having with yourself there.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Porgy wrote:

*Such* a beguiling way to win converts...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • attica
    Porgy wrote:
    what personal attack?

btw - it wasn't light hearted at all - it was heavily sarcastic and designed to provoke a response - I thought my reply had more humour in it that the post I replied to tbh.

I think you answered your 2nd question in the very next sentence.

EDITED to add the word 2nd for clarity
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Porgy
    Attica wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    what personal attack?

and there we have it - the level of debate on climate change is accusing the other person of not being chilled or having a sense of humour, when my sense of humour is perfectly intact. Maybe I should get the bloke sitting next to me to verify that I'm in a very good mood, perfectly happy, and have laughed a few times at the posts on this thread. But you get upset over my light hearted response to Greg's lighthearted post? that suggest to me you have a sense of humour bypass.

I have never understood why people feel they can tell so much about a person from a few hastily typed words on a internet thread?

If i can;t even convince you of this simple fact then what chance does anyone of being able to argue about complex matters on the internet? answer: none at all. Which is why I'm not trying.

this is a thread about climate change OK?

There's actually hardly a mention of climate change anywhere on this thread - and certainly nothing approaching an argument either way. So why does this thread exist? Was it just to wind people up? I think so.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Well it's worked.

I'm off to open the windows, it's getting mighty hot in here.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Well it's worked.

I'm off to open the windows, it's getting mighty hot in here.

make sure you turn off the heating first, otherwise you'll cause more climate change
  • DonDaddyD
    Porgy wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    what personal attack?

and there we have it - the level of debate on climate change is accusing the other person of not being chilled or having a sense of humour, when my sense of humour is perfectly intact. Maybe I should get the bloke sitting next to me to verify that I'm in a very good mood, perfectly happy, and have laughed a few times at the posts on this thread. But you get upset over my light hearted response to Greg's lighthearted post? that suggest to me you have a sense of humour bypass.

I have never understood why people feel they can tell so much about a person from a few hastily typed words on a internet thread?

If i can;t even convince you of this simple fact then what chance does anyone of being able to argue about complex matters on the internet? answer: none at all. Which is why I'm not trying.

this is a thread about climate change OK?

There's actually hardly a mention of climate change anywhere on this thread - and certainly nothing approaching an argument either way. So why does this thread exist? Was it just to wind people up? I think so.

Well the thread, though the initial question was poorly written, I can admit, was designed to query why there has been a number of environmentally focused (specifically Climate Change) threads recently? From previous discussions of this nature they tend happen in the winter around the time when it's cold enough to snow and for it to settle in London. The last bit is just my perspective as I'm fully aware that the person I'm talking to may not even be aware its snowing in London, but it doesn't take away from the fact that climate change/environment/recycling/weather related discussions tend to happen more in the winter. I was asking why? In a tongue in cheeck Friday sort of way.

People took it more seriously than they should.
    Food Chain number = 4

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    From previous discussions of this nature they tend happen in the winter around the time when it's cold enough to snow and for it to settle in London.

Which is when the climate change denying lot come out and say "look it's snowing, global warming can't be happening".

In the summer they say, "look it's hot, isn't global warming great, wouldn't mind if it was like this all year round".
  • Porgy
    If I wanted to start a light hearted Friday afternoon thread - Climate change would be the last subject that I'd choose.
  • Porgy wrote:
    If I wanted to start a light hearted Friday afternoon thread - Climate change would be the last subject that I'd choose.
    Get over yourself. :roll:
  • Porgy
    Porgy wrote:

Because I know it would cause a fight not because I'm some sort of head up his own arse poncey holier than thou tw@t like you all seem to think :evil:

Always Tyred - I've always respected you as a poster - and said so before - so why the automatic assumption that I'm a tw@t?
  • Porgy
    I think the rule is - everything can be misinterpreted, and on the internet, everything will be.

And this will be.

I give up.

time for a beer.
  • Porgy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Because I know it would cause a fight not because I'm some sort of head up his own ars* poncey holier than thou tw@t like you all seem to think :evil:

Always Tyred - I've always respected you as a poster - and said so before - so why the automatic assumption that I'm a tw@t?

I don't think that, Porgy. I didn't mean any offence.

But I think its probably okay to have an irony and sarcasm strewn thread about climate change on a Friday.

Alternatively, we could start a thread about BA cabin staff. Bloody unions bringing down a great institution.
  • attica
    Porgy wrote:
    I think the rule is - everything can be misinterpreted, and on the internet, everything will be.

So would you say it's a misinterpretation that AT called you a rude word?
    If so I would have to strongly disagree.

You are the first person to use that word on this thread FACT.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Porgy
    edited February 2010
    Porgy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Because I know it would cause a fight not because I'm some sort of head up his own ars* poncey holier than thou tw@t like you all seem to think :evil:

I don't think that, Porgy. I didn't mean any offence.
    i accept that, AT
    But I think its probably okay to have an irony and sarcasm strewn thread about climate change on a Friday.
    it is and i answered a humourous post with humour - at least Greg seemed to get the joke. I think. I really don;t understand why i was picked out for criticism there.

My sense of humour might be a bit out there as I'm autistic, but despite all that it is pretty healthy. For instance, I'm utterly amused that DDD might have thought this thread would go off without a massive punch up. :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Anyway...

I have seen it snow in June in the UK!
  • Porgy
    Greg66 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

*Such* a beguiling way to win converts...

I'm not trying to convert anyone - I think I've told you this before.

What do you think I am - a christian?

Make your own mind up - I've always believed that people should be free to believe what they like. So go ahead. It's what freedom's all about.

you might be interested in this btw
    http://www.thefairysociety.com/
  • Porgy wrote:
    What do you think I am - a christian?
    Boom boom! That's more like it!

Its nearly Brew O'clock.