OT - more climate change phooey

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
OK so I'm riding my bike today and am thinking its quite a niceday. Given my earwarmers, tights, shorts, jacket and full fingered gloves I'm a little too warm even. I got to thinking:

Why is it the Climate Change lot start scaremongering in December - Feb about snowing in Winter? Its not unusual for it to snow in Winter.

If we had a particularly hot summer I don't think we would have the same response.

If during the course of this year it snows in winter, is enjoyably warm in spring and we have a 30degree heatwave in the summer. I'll be of the thought that we have had a good year weather wise. Climate change is just phooey.

If it snowed in March or April, then I'd be of the thought that the scaremongering was justified.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Climate change is just phooey

Climate change goes on all the time, the debate is about how much man's activities are affecting the rate and direction of climate change.
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    Think you're getting climate and weather mixed up there, old bean.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why is it the Climate Change lot start scaremongering in December - Feb about snowing in Winter? Its not unusual for it to snow in Winter. [/]

When, where? And do not go googling, tell me when you encountered this.
  • DonDaddyD
    On this site. Many many threads recently about climate change and how its all our fault its snowing in January.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If it snowed in March or April, then I'd be of the thought that the scaremongering was justified.

You have never been to Shotts. highest place in central scotland...it has been known to snow as late as may!

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Sewinman
    Send me one link to a post where someone makes that claim.
  • I think you're confusing the weather in London with the concept of global climate change. We all know London is the centre of the universe but those funny Johnny Foreigner types (those who live anywhere except inside the M25) do have weather as well.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • The heaviest snow I've experienced has been in march-april. '83 was bad.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK so I'm riding my bike today and am thinking its quite a niceday. Given my earwarmers, tights, shorts, jacket and full fingered gloves I'm a little too warm even. I got to thinking:

Why is it the Climate Change lot start scaremongering in December - Feb about snowing in Winter? Its not unusual for it to snow in Winter.

If we had a particularly hot summer I don't think we would have the same response.

If during the course of this year it snows in winter, is enjoyably warm in spring and we have a 30degree heatwave in the summer. I'll be of the thought that we have had a good year weather wise. Climate change is just phooey.

And all that goes to show that you just have no idea what you're talking about. Weather does not equal climate, and why oh why am i bothering? It all always just ends in tears.

My advice is - as always - come back when you understand the science.
  • Porgy
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    On this site. Many many threads recently about climate change and how its all our fault its snowing in January.

Where? Can we have links please?

I remember lots of threads where scientifically literate people were personally attacked.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Three words for you DDD

Worms

Can

Of

This debate has raged on and not only got heated but started getting personal.
    Can we talk about something nicer please:-

Bikes, they're great aren't they?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Sewinman
    What i do find interesting is that there were pages and pages of stuff, well written stuff, that explained that the snow event had bugger all to do with climate change and vice versa...and yet DDD simply remembered the association of words.

Makes me think that arguing on the internet, explaining stuff etc is entirey pointless.

:shock:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Up here we regularly get our worst snow fall in March.
    When i were a lad, i remember it snowing in June :shock:
    Yup, honestly, it did. Central Scotland, mid 70's.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • An unusually refined, and successful attempt at being deliberately provocative, DDD. :lol:
  • Porgy
    edited February 2010
    Sewinman wrote:
    What i do find interesting is that there were pages and pages of stuff, well written stuff, that explained that the snow event had bugger all to do with climate change and vice versa...and yet DDD simply remembered the association of words.

Makes me think that arguing on the internet, explaining stuff etc is entirey pointless.

:shock:

I came to this conclusion over xmas - and now will stick to arguing about arguing.

I find more intelligent discussion about climate change on Twitter than on here, and that's saying something! :shock:
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

You're wrong. It's very unusual. But the official records kept by the University of East Anglia show quite conclusively that this winter it didn't snow. It was the warmest winter on record. Which also isn't unusual, because the UEA data shows every winter to be the warmest winter on record.

It helps if you stir your tea with the thermometer though.

You heard it here first
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    All right you miserable Bunch lets begin:

Sewinman, three links for ya!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... e&start=40

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... ate+change

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... e&start=80

Attica, controversy sells!

Everyone else, Point I'm making isn't that snow is an example of climate change. It is that when it snows in January it appears to be a catalyst for the Climate-bashers to get their corduroy on and start preaching that eating dolphin is bad and that I should care about turning the heating up to warm my house while all the windows are open.

I was just curious as to why people get bees in bonnets about changing-global-climate-warming when it snows in January, as though that is unusual and not any other time of year.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    An unusually refined, and successful attempt at being deliberately provocative, DDD. :lol:

Yeah well, I was getting bored of my broadside shock approach.

DDD "Lady do you go commando"

Bikeradar member "I don't even ask my wife that kind of question".

DDD "Well you should. I'll ask her if you want".

Ah those were the days.

Feck me its quite hot outside. I better turn my air-con and leave the windows open so its cool when I stand next to it.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Porgy
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It is that when it snows in January it appears to be a catalyst for the Climate-bashers to get their corduroy on and start preaching that eating dolphin is bad and that I should care about turning the heating up to warm my house while all the windows are open.
    yeah - that's the level of debate I expect on here. :roll:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I was just curious as to why people get bees in bonnets about changing-global-climate-warming when it snows in January, as though that is unusual and not any other time of year.

I don't know - you tell us.
  • Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Everyone else, Point I'm making isn't that snow is an example of climate change. It is that when it snows in January it appears to be a catalyst for the Climate-bashers to get their corduroy on and start preaching that eating dolphin is bad and that I should care about turning the heating up to warm my house while all the windows are open.

Which one of those links says - snow in january was caused by climate change?

I am in a bad mood today but seriously, mate, you are talking utter shite on this one.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited February 2010
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I am in a bad mood today but seriously, mate, you are talking utter shite on this one.

Maybe I am.

I think you're missing the point though. It's not that Climate change caused the snow. Its that the snow caused the climate change discussions and I'm asking why?

Also, why the mood?
    Food Chain number = 4

• Porgy
    edited February 2010
    Sewinman wrote:
    but seriously, mate, you are talking utter shite on this one.

+1
  • Sewinman wrote:

Ok. I'm confused.

Are you saying that the weather is nothing to do with climate change? Or that unusual weather is nothing to do with climate change? Or that normal winters are caused by climate change.

I can see why one needs to have a full set of bulbs to grasp the subtleties of what climate change can do. It's all very complicated.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    Ha! Porgy, your'e trying to bait me.
    Porgy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It is that when it snows in January it appears to be a catalyst for the Climate-bashers to get their corduroy on and start preaching that eating dolphin is bad and that I should care about turning the heating up to warm my house while all the windows are open.

Your response begs the question, why are you here posting? :roll:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    edited February 2010
    You are creating an argument out of a false accusation - you said that climate change believers or words to that effect, linked the snow to climate change. In fact, it was the total f'ing opposite with a bunch of ignorant smug Clarkson lovers saying that that a cold snap disproved climate change - to which a defence was then given.

The question should have been – why do so many bloody ignorant people think that a weather event in good old blighty has anything to do with the long term global climate trend.

Answer – we are country full of small minded prats.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :evil:
  • Porgy
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ha! Porgy, your'e trying to bait me.
    Porgy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Your response begs the question, why are you here posting? :roll:

:?:
  • Porgy
    Sewinman wrote:
    You are creating an argument out of a false accusation - you said that climate change believers or words to that effect, linked the snow to climate change. In fact, it was the total f'ing opposite with a bunch of ignorant smug Clarkson lovers saying that that a cold snap disproved climate change - to which a defence was then given.

The question should have been – why do so many bloody ignorant people think that a weather event in good old blighty has anything to do with the long term global climate trend.

I agree so much with this that +1 doesn;t do it justice.
  • Porgy
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ok. I'm confused.

we know
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:

Actually I read my question again. I took it the way I said after the first post was made. It seems to me that during the winter months climate change conversations happen more frequently. Usually when it snows, well for this website at least. I asked why.

As for ignorant and prat, I'm in a good mood so won't 'bite'. As for the perspective based issues, "The World doesn't exist just your perception of it". People often look at a scenario from their immediate perspective and draw larger conclusions from this. I.e. If it snowed in London in April, a lot more people in London would be receptive to talks and information about Climate Change/Global Warming. That, my dear friend is only human.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Actually I read my question again. I took it the way I said after the first post was made. It seems to me that during the winter months climate change conversations happen more frequently. Usually when it snows, well for this website at least. I asked why.

As for ignorant and prat, I'm in a good mood so won't 'bite'. As for the perspective based issues, "The World doesn't exist just your perception of it". People often look at a scenario from their immediate perspective and draw larger conclusions from this. I.e. If it snowed in London in April, a lot more people in London would be receptive to talks and information about Climate Change/Global Warming. That, my dear friend is only human.

And that, my dear friend is a massive back-track!