worst rip-off prices

13»

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Irish bike prices a few years ago (and probably still now).

My bike I bought for £720 (+£50 shipping), my LBS guy told me that the list price he would expect to sell it for would have been €1500! This was when the exchange rate conversion applied would mean my bike otherwise costing €1000, so where the extra €500 would come in is anyones guess. High taxes, middle-man charges I assume.

Rip-off Ireland is still the same today even though the exchange rate is a lot closer than it was 2 years ago...no wonder the irish shop in the North if they can.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Exposure Toro front light.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Ladies and Gentlemen, you can forget your £100 bibs, £40 bleed kit and £19.99 aero bottle because we have a winner.......

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25967

I mean, seriously, who the fcuk is going to buy that????????
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Cheshley wrote:
    Ladies and Gentlemen, you can forget your £100 bibs, £40 bleed kit and £19.99 aero bottle because we have a winner.......

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25967

I mean, seriously, who the fcuk is going to buy that????????

but you get a free bottle!! :P
    Genesis Altitude
    BMC Team Machine
  • That's an 11 speed bottle cage. Much better than the 10 speed one.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    hope vision 1 led light. you get a bulb and an anodised battery holder for £90. exposure charge £36 for the white eye attachment which is the same bulb so the rest goes on the fancy holder
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    3 pairs of Endura coolmax socks - £9.99
    1 par of Assos coolmax socks - £9.99
  • pastryboy wrote:
    3 pairs of Endura coolmax socks - £9.99
    1 par of Assos coolmax socks - £9.99
    We've already established that Endura are crap Scottish clothes. So although both companies have taken out a license to the same fabric, with one, you get Scottish stitching (not Chinese) and with the other you get far superior Swiss stitching (not Chinese)

And besides, would you really want to be seen in a wine bar by your chums wearing pikey Scottish clothing? That would be almost as bad as purchasing anything from Marks and Spencer. Unless its food, that is, in which case it would be almost as bad as not puchasing anything from Marks and Spencer.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    pastryboy wrote:
    stitching (not Chinese) and with the other you get far superior Swiss stitching (not Chinese)

Not any more. The last lot of Assos I got the manual noted that they no longer use Swiss stitchers as they can't get anyone in swissland to sit at a machine all day stitching stuff to the standards they expect (read too expensive). So they're now stitched in Bulgaria with the same Swiss quality control. Seemed to theiir usual high standard to me.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

For example. I'll happily pay £2.99 for a comic but not £4.99. Some people might not even pay £2.99.

My brother was here at the weekend from ireland and left a receipt from Forbidden Planet behind - £68 on comics I ask you. COMICS!! He's 43 as well. Wrong wrong wrong

btw there's a group test of computers including the 705 in this months C+

Ah but I know people who think more than 500 on a bike is a rip off... it's all about perspective and what you're interested in

It's actually an economic thing - to do with the utility people ascribe to a product or service, which they then divide into the price to get a £s per point benefit. Obviously, the utility people place on an item varies from individual to individual, based on the (non-financial) value that they place on that item - eg cachet, sex-appeal, ability to save money (eg on a car, season ticket, etc).

Of course, people don't spend time actually calculating it - unless they are sad - but each investment is weighed against other uses to which the scarce resource (ie money) can be applied.

Here endeth the lesson.

It's just a hill. Get over it.