worst rip-off prices

boneyjoe
boneyjoe Posts: 369
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok, let's hear them..

Just spotted a Shimano chain length checker for £49.99 (reduced to around £40 on some websites). A chain length checker for goodness sakes :shock: - what's it made of, solid gold?
Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I always thought the campag bottle opener to be a little pricey
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Rapha.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Garmin 705 Edge.

Hear me out.

My Tom Tom, tells me how fast I'm going and where I'm going for £100. It's pretty good and mostly accurate.

I don't understand why the Garmin costs £300 before a cadence sensor and heart rate monitor are added. These additions increase the price to nearly £400. You can buy a cycle computer with cadence and sat nav for about £50+ (£20 at Lidl at one point). That added to a Tom Tom should cost you no more than £150 - £200 tops.

Yes the Garmin is the best. It is also over priced.

Why doesn't Tom Tom make a sat nav for the bicycle? :cry: The lack of competition means Garmin can maintain such a ridiculously high price.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Why doesn't Tom Tom make a sat nav for the bicycle? :cry: The lack of competition means Garmin can maintain such a ridiculously high price.

Watch for the GPS market becoming really competitive when Nokia roll out their new completely free Ovi Maps set....it will apparently give users a complete GPS experience, including turn by turn stuff....for free.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I don't think anything can be classed as a rip-off if there are freely available cheaper alternatives.
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    I don't think anything can be classed as a rip-off if there are freely available cheaper alternatives.

Can I have a cheper alternative to the Garmin 705 Road package please that does exactly the same stuff. In fact it doesn't have to have a heart rate monitor (though would be nice) but does have to tell me how fast I'm going.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Can I have a cheper alternative to the Garmin 705 Road package please that does exactly the same stuff. In fact it doesn't have to have a heart rate monitor (though would be nice) but does have to tell me how fast I'm going.

Will the Nokia Ovi thing mentioned above do that? I'm afraid I'm not up to speed on alternatives though.

Of course, you could argue that innovators and market leaders have earned the right to charge premium prices, so it's not a rip-off.
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Will the Nokia Ovi thing mentioned above do that? I'm afraid I'm not up to speed on alternatives though.

Of course, you could argue that innovators and market leaders have earned the right to charge premium prices, so it's not a rip-off.

I'm not really arguing over being a rip-off I just thought you might have an alternative.

Personally I think it is a rip-off but then the surely that (whether an item is a rip off or not) comes down to the value or cost a person applies to each item. I.e. Whether you are to pay for it or not.

For example. I'll happily pay £2.99 for a comic but not £4.99. Some people might not even pay £2.99.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:

For example. I'll happily pay £2.99 for a comic but not £4.99. Some people might not even pay £2.99.

My brother was here at the weekend from ireland and left a receipt from Forbidden Planet behind - £68 on comics I ask you. COMICS!! He's 43 as well. Wrong wrong wrong

btw there's a group test of computers including the 705 in this months C+
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,375
    edited February 2010
    I'm not really sure why anyone, except perhaps the likes of Marc Beaumont, would need satellite navigation on a bicycle.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:

My brother was here at the weekend from ireland and left a receipt from Forbidden Planet behind - £68 on comics I ask you. COMICS!! He's 43 as well. Wrong wrong wrong

btw there's a group test of computers including the 705 in this months C+

Ah but I know people who think more than 500 on a bike is a rip off... it's all about perspective and what you're interested in
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino wrote:
    Eh? I think precisely the opposite.

If you take a wool blend cycling jersey and stitch the word "Endura" on it, and you put it next to a similar jersey with the word "Rapha" on it and a tiny bit of pink stitching, are you saying that the 250% mark up for the latter ISN'T a rip off?

Personally, I say, "Blimey, that's a rip off, only a pittiful image slave would fork out £90 for that" and buy the other one.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Garmin 705 Edge.

Hear me out.

My Tom Tom, tells me how fast I'm going and where I'm going for £100. It's pretty good and mostly accurate.

I don't understand why the Garmin costs £300 before a cadence sensor and heart rate monitor are added. These additions increase the price to nearly £400. You can buy a cycle computer with cadence and sat nav for about £50+ (£20 at Lidl at one point). That added to a Tom Tom should cost you no more than £150 - £200 tops.

Yes the Garmin is the best. It is also over priced.

Definitely got ripped off mate. I paid about £250 for the lot. Serves you right for buying from Wiggle.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    The 705, what's it like as a sat-nav device for walking or driving?
    I like the idea of the Garmins, and if the 705 could pass as a sat-nav elsewhere it would be the one I'd want, but if I'd really be better off with a designed-for-it sat nav in the car then one of the 'lesser' Garmins would do.
    Not that I'm buying a Garmin, it's just nice to have a wishlist.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Garmin 705 Edge.

DDD, I agree 110% with you, that said I could NEVER be without my 705 now :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Campag chain tool - offensively expensive for what it is.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    gb155 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Garmin 705 Edge.

... but you're selling it? :p
  • tailwindhome
    gb155 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Garmin 705 Edge.

What is it you are using it for?
    The 705, what's it like as a sat-nav device for walking or driving?

Where are you walking to which requires satellite navigation technology to get you there?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    If you take a wool blend cycling jersey and stitch the word "Endura" on it, and you put it next to a similar jersey with the word "Rapha" on it and a tiny bit of pink stitching, are you saying that the 250% mark up for the latter ISN'T a rip off?

Do you really think that's what is happening?

As others have said I think a lot depends on your perception, I'm sure there are people on here would be horrified at paying £100 for a pair of cycling tights but would think nothing of paying £100 for a pair of jeans.

ETA I think I may be confusing two different threads
  • If you take a wool blend cycling jersey and stitch the word "Endura" on it, and you put it next to a similar jersey with the word "Rapha" on it and a tiny bit of pink stitching, are you saying that the 250% mark up for the latter ISN'T a rip off?

As others have said I think a lot depends on your perception, I'm sure there are people on here would be horrified at paying £100 for a pair of cycling tights but would think nothing of paying £100 for a pair of jeans.

You really think that's NOT what is happening?

To be honest, I'm a style vacuum and I'd baulk at spending £100 on a pair of jeans. That totally defeats the object of jeans.

I'd spend £200 on cycling shoes - by the law of diminishing returns, they aren't twice as good as £100 shoes, but I can see different materials and different technical features. Ditto other outdoor gear, depending on how keen I am on the activity and whether or not I'm competent enough to notice.

I can apply similar arguments to Assos or Castelli, except I can't justify the costs personally.

But my particular gripe with fashion clothes (which is exactly what Rapha are) is that other than the label and some trivial decorative features, I can't actually descern any difference to less expensive less fashionable brands.

Hence, a rip off.
  • Clever Pun

his perception is that Rapha and Endura are the same product (minus some pink detail) so by his logic yes he's right.

Whereas having used both I don't believe they're the same product, while rapha/assos etc are expensive I'm happy to pay that money

I could follow Always Tyred's argument thus: I'd happily wear boss or say diesel top but I'd never wear nike or fila to a pub... Which makes little sense as they're the same product just with a different bit of stitching after all.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun

You really think that's NOT what is happening?

To be honest, I'm a style vacuum and I'd baulk at spending £100 on a pair of jeans. That totally defeats the object of jeans.

I'd spend £200 on cycling shoes - by the law of diminishing returns, they aren't twice as good as £100 shoes, but I can see different materials and different technical features. Ditto other outdoor gear, depending on how keen I am on the activity and whether or not I'm competent enough to notice.

I can apply similar arguments to Assos or Castelli, except I can't justify the costs personally.

But my particular gripe with fashion clothes (which is exactly what Rapha are) is that other than the label and some trivial decorative features, I can't actually descern any difference to less expensive less fashionable brands.

Hence, a rip off.

Alright I was trying to stay out of this...

have you tested any rapha clothing? do you have any real base for your argument? for example magazine reviews seem to differ from your opinion

£100 doesn't defeat the object of jeans if you want to go out feel comfortable and look good does it? if you want something 'comfortable' buy some jogging bottoms
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • You condescending tosser. Your sprinkling of brands, none of which I give a monkeys about, gives a lot away about you.

I do not think you can compare Rapha with Assos. Perhaps Endura aren't a good example. Sugoi perhaps. However I can see that my primitive understanding of labels isn't up to going toe to toe with a style guru.

EDIT: Btw, jeans are supposed to be hard wearing work clothes for poor people. That one went over your head. On that basis £100 jeans are a bit like Michelin star Cornish pasties for gullible people.
  • Clever Pun
    You condescending tosser. Your sprinkling of brands, none of which I give a monkeys about, gives a lot away about you.

I do not think you can compare Rapha with Assos. Perhaps Endura aren't a good example. Sugoi perhaps. However I can see that my primitive understanding of labels isn't up to going toe to toe with a style guru.

EDIT: Btw, jeans are supposed to be hard wearing work clothes for poor people. That one went over your head. On that basis £100 jeans are a bit like Michelin star Cornish pasties for gullible people.

:lol: it's an example :lol:oh shit you don't wear fila do you? that's condescending

Jeans used to be work wear sure.. not any more they're a throwaway fashion item much like most things in the world today

in your internet rage you missed the bit about rapha being favourably being reviewed
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    edited February 2010
    Clever Pun wrote:
    in your internet rage you missed the bit about rapha being favourably being reviewed
    No I didn't I just disagree with it. In every review I've seen, there is a comment about the high price if you are willing to pay for it, and there are frequent comments about their clothes not being as technical as similarly priced items etc.

You weren't joking, you were being a tosser. Don't backtrack.

EDIT - how do you reconcile £100 on a pair of trousers and "throwaway", incidentally?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Clever Pun

I have never tried any rapha stuff.

Can I ask how rapha compare in the magazine reviews to the other products mentioned for example...

What does it do better?

And if the answer is 'looks better' then i am with AT.
    If the answer is performs better...then I am with you.

I am deeply suspicious of magazine reviews....they are very fashion oriented....in fact...some of the kit I have had that got 3 stars for instance....is better than kit that magazines rated as 5 stars....and as far as i can tell it is because of nothing more than branding...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Shimano Cleats.

Something like £17 a set - for little more than £20 you can generally get a set of pedals with that, too.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:
    No I didn't I just disagree with it. In every review I've seen, there is a comment about the high price if you are willing to pay for it, and there are frequent comments about their clothes not being as technical as similarly priced items etc.

You weren't joking, you were being a tosser. Don't backtrack.

EDIT - how do you reconcile £100 on a pair of trousers and "throwaway", incidentally?

if you think i was being a tosser then so be it, again your opinion which is different to mine. that's the internet for you.

the trousers were an analogy to today's society phones might be a better example spending £££ to look good and have the latest tech while dumping it as soon as something better comes along the cost of said item is arbitrary in the grand scheme of things
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    if you think i was being a tosser then so be it, again your opinion which is different to mine. that's the internet for you.

the trousers were an analogy to today's society phones might be a better example spending £££ to look good and have the latest tech while dumping it as soon as something better comes along the cost of said item is arbitrary in the grand scheme of things
    Aw, thanks.

What phone should I get? I guess Nokia is a bit last week.
  • Clever Pun
    Ah feck I'm not justifying the brand and this is exactly why i didn't want to get involved with this silly thread

Cee... yes rapha in my experience are very good at what they do

I've got shorts from pearl izumi, dhb, high end campag and rapha the rapha ones are the best by miles, the padding being so much more comfy. I tried assos on but the shape of them didn't make me feel comfy
    same goes for the 3/4's and full lengths excellent technical cycling wear (lycra isn't fashion)

the classic softshell is a superb bit of kit riding much higher than the gore one I had previously

I picked up some fixed shorts in the sample sale, nothing special and the pad isn't all that but can be worn out without drawing attention to your crotch.... yes the fixed stuff is more fashion 'fixie skidda' orientated doesn't mean the whole brand is does it? pick and choose people, pick and choose

Last post I'm done with this thread... if you have the money and want to spend it go ahead, if you don't save up and spend it. or just whine about it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5