Are you a Daily Mail reader?

13»

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Fracking hell, the commuting forum is full of left wing, labour voting, immigrant loving, scally hugging, dirty liberals.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,207
    Fracking hell, the commuting forum is full of left wing, labour voting, immigrant loving, scally hugging, dirty liberals.
    Nah, they just make a lot of noise, lefties always do :wink: [Returns to reading the Daily Telegraph]
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Nah, they just make a lot of noise, lefties always do :wink: [Returns to reading the Daily Telegraph]

Agree with Stevo, I reckon it's a solid 50/50 between good and evil :)

Though this topic is a bit different - there are a lot of solid tory voters who are bright enough to recognise the sheer malicious msinformation and bigotry the Mail spouts.
  • biondino

Yeah - if only we could persuade the right-wing unemployed-lunching nimbies to undertake the crappy jobs they are delighted to leave to immigrant scum, we'd all be happy.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,207
    biondino wrote:

Though this topic is a bit different - there are a lot of solid tory voters who are bright enough to recognise the sheer malicious msinformation and bigotry the Mail spouts.
    Good point, I would class myself as a bit of a Tory boy but realise that the Mail is utter crap. It's like a 'red top', but with the fun bits taken out.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • biondino wrote:
    Yeah - if only we could persuade the right-wing unemployed-lunching nimbies to undertake the crappy jobs they are delighted to leave to immigrant scum, we'd all be happy.

3 out of 4 of those for me (I don't lunch) and I would be happy to take any job at the moment. 8)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Good point, I would class myself as a bit of a Tory boy but realise that the Mail is utter crap. It's like a 'red top', but with the fun bits taken out.

That's the bit that really annoys me. More than any other newspaper* it tries to have its cake and eat it. The sheer proclaimed prudery, combined with a search for titilation is pretty unsavoury to me.

If someone mentions that schoolgirls often wear short skirts, there will be a headline about the OUTRAGE over the fact that they are wearing short skirts, and just to show how bad this is, there will be a full colour picture of someone wearing a short skirt. At least the red tops are more honest in this respect.

Similarly asterisking out one letter in a swearword, ESS-ACH-ONE-T is not a word, everyone knows what you mean, so either report that the person swore, or use the actual word.

*the Mail is a newspaper because it does carry some news, however skewed; the Express isn't because Diana died in 1997 so she's not really news.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I read all of them, stops one becoming indoctrinated.

It sounds morbid but I love the obituaries in the Daily Telegraph.
  • biondino
    Sewinman wrote:

Not sure about this - it's a bit "I joined the Communist Party, the Nazi Party, The Church of Scientology and the Moonies, stops one becoming indoctrinated"
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    biondino wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Not sure about this - it's a bit "I joined the Communist Party, the Nazi Party, The Church of Scientology and the Moonies, stops one becoming indoctrinated"

Not really - you're only reading it after all. I don't even pay for mine! I think its good to read things coming from different angles, then decide what you do and don't agree with. If you only ever read the views of people you agree with, how do you know there aren't other opinions out their that might make more sense?
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    edited January 2010
    biondino wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I suppose it is a 'bit' like that...to the extent that reading a paper can be a bit like joining a religious sect or belonging to a non-existent political party. Good point.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I am slightly amazed that anyone reads a paper these days. Don't you all spend your time on here?

BBC website and Radio 4 for me, and while we're about it, I love The Archers. So banal it makes my life seem a rollercoaster of excitement
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Sewinman wrote:

It sounds morbid but I love the obituaries in the Daily Telegraph.

+1, well not all of them. I tend to flip between the Times/Guardian/Telegraph and Independent. Nice to get a balance of views. I read online rather than buy. The Indy does annoy me though, I only read it as there's always a copy at work.

As for the Mail/Mirror/Sun etc, no thanks, complete garbage.
  • Having worked for Reuters it's always amusing to see one of the rags pick up an unbiased and fact driven article off the feed then turn it one way or another to suit their political needs.

That's why I don't read the newspapers.

Far too many people in this country derive their opinions from what 'The Sun Says...'
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    linsen wrote:
    I am slightly amazed that anyone reads a paper these days. Don't you all spend your time on here?

BBC website and Radio 4 for me, and while we're about it, I love The Archers. So banal it makes my life seem a rollercoaster of excitement

hehe, me too, though less R4 now that I don't drive as much.
  • biondino
    Sewinman wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I suppose it is a 'bit' like that...to the extent that reading a paper can be a bit like joining a religious sect or belonging to a non-existent political party. Good point.

You joke, but look at those Mail readers - it's exactly the same kind of apoplexy, denial and supreme self-confidence. I'm happy with my analogy :)

(seriously though - if you want a broad selection of opinions, then for god's sake read proper papers. If you want to laugh at something offensive, buy Viz or watch Brass Eye)
  • biondino
    Sewinman wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

You joke, but look at those Mail readers - it's exactly the same kind of apoplexy, denial and supreme self-confidence. I'm happy with my analogy :)

(seriously though - if you want a broad selection of opinions, then for god's sake read proper papers. If you want to laugh at something offensive, buy Viz or watch Brass Eye)
  • Berlusconi, Murdoch, Maxwell: journos being wined and dined and fed stories by PR agencies that need to get their client's message across. Thats what passes for the 'news' - plus a section on gardening, houses, cars, travel, finance, sport and a free magazine.... Never mind there's always the BBC... :roll:

Newspapers are now just about sales and marketing - selling a product it believes its audience wants, always considering its advertisers and profits - way ahead of any sense of bringing news to people or providing a public service. Even the dear old Guardian, owned by a trust, is driven by its bottom line, although it has, arguably, the most integrity of any UK newspaper. And the most spelling mistakes. :roll:
  • Even the dear old Guardian, owned by a trust, is driven by its bottom line, although it has, arguably, the most integrity of any UK newspaper. And the most spelling mistakes. :roll:
    Ah, those spelling mistakes are just one of the flaws we Guardianistas love about the paper. The same reason people buy fixies and steel frames.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If I had a better job I would read a more reputable paper.

I could just see it now, me dressed in brown brogues and grey suit. Legs crossed the 'man' way, can't see my head as it is buried in the broad sheet of a paper with the word 'Independant' and 'Times' jostled into its title. It's just a cover though, behind it, I'm really reading the Sun... :twisted:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I could just see it now, me dressed in brown brogues and grey suit. Legs crossed the 'man' way, can't see my head as it is buried in the broad sheet of a paper with the word 'Independant' and 'Times' jostled into its title. It's just a cover though, behind it, I'm really reading the Sun... :twisted:

Be who you are and don't apologise. I am rather surprised by the fact that people who I consider to be intelligent read the Sun these days, but then I am surprised when people who I believe to be intelligent do lots of things. I think being able to read soemthing and take a step back and realise the way in which it wished to influence you is where the intelligence is demonstrated. I will peruse the DM if I see it lying around and I have nothing else to do, but I make sure there is a small amount of salt at my disposal too.

It's a bit like riding a road bike - it doesn't necessarily make me a tartsnob ;-)
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    linsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Be who you are and don't apologise. I am rather surprised by the fact that people who I consider to be intelligent read the Sun these days, but then I am surprised when people who I believe to be intelligent do lots of things. I think being able to read soemthing and take a step back and realise the way in which it wished to influence you is where the intelligence is demonstrated. I will peruse the DM if I see it lying around and I have nothing else to do, but I make sure there is a small amount of salt at my disposal too.

It's a bit like riding a road bike - it doesn't necessarily make me a tartsnob ;-)

Just to point out. I only read the Sun for sport and Dear Deirdre and I couldn't actually tell you the last time I bought one. Thing about all newspapers is that they all carry stigma due to the readership and the social-political leanings of the articles.

In some way's living in South London, going to a less afluent school, yeah the Sun does reflect a perspective of life that I'm familiar with if not actually live or aspire to (I'd like to think I've surpassed it).

That said I don't think there is a right newspaper to read.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jobysp
    jobysp Posts: 68
    I work for Associated Newspapers - does that count? :)
    My cycle blog at www.biking2work.co.uk and check out www.fightbaddriving.co.uk.
  • jobysp wrote:
    I work for Associated Newspapers - does that count? :)

I have friends who work for the Telegraph. It doesn't make them bad people. :wink:
  • jobysp
    jobysp Posts: 68
    Bless :) Your so kind.

I must admit - the commenters on their website are loons.
    My cycle blog at www.biking2work.co.uk and check out www.fightbaddriving.co.uk.