Are you a Daily Mail reader?

bikey2009
bikey2009 Posts: 121
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm asking the question because i've noticed that some responses to posts that question, or are critical to some local goverment actions are slated by some bike radar members accusing them of being "Daily Mail" readers.

I don't buy any regular daily paper myself, why do you think they are focusing on one particular paper to label peoples responses to their topics?

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Because its full of reactionary s**t. I get it free at the gym so occasionally have a read, so I know for a fact its a load of toss.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    The Daily Mail exists for the sole purpose of winding up its readership into a state of righteous dudgeon about the state of the world nowadays, which is all the fault of of (1) immigrants (2) poor people (3) cyclists and (4) the Labour Party.

In fact, they may see cyclists as being more of a menace to society than even (1) or (2).

It's a newspaper they give out free at airports. I would rather read the emergency procedures card in the seat pocket in front of me.
    Misguided Idealist
  • bikey2009
    Do they have other free papers at your gym?

If so, when you read them which ones have a similiar political or social perspective?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Daily Mail is a good read. If I wanted news I'd trawl the BBC website.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    It's the UK tabloid equivalent of FOX News.

It makes the old and poorly informed afraid.

It reinforces ageing stereotypes.

It is a shameful example of journalism in 2010 and thankfully will be dead by the end of the decade.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • bikey2009
    seataltea wrote:
    It's the UK tabloid equivalent of FOX News.

It makes the old and poorly informed afraid.

It reinforces ageing stereotypes.

It is a shameful example of journalism in 2010 and thankfully will be dead by the end of the decade.

Don't now much about fox news, except that fox produce the simpsons.

In England we have the "Independant" newspaper, but whenever I've read it it seems very pro the green party and its' policies.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Independent is so named because it is independent of a large media corporation - it isn't aiming to be apolitical.
  • On a related note, you can try your own hand at creating Daily Mail-esque headlines here:

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

It's :) and :shock: and :roll: in equal measure!
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    bikey2009 wrote:
    I'm asking the question because i've noticed that some responses to posts that question, or are critical to some local goverment actions are slated by some bike radar members accusing them of being "Daily Mail" readers.

I don't buy any regular daily paper myself, why do you think they are focusing on one particular paper to label peoples responses to their topics?

I myself don't buy the paper ... I prefer other papers like I mentioned in another section even then I rarely bother buyin Papers much when I can read the Scotsman and the FT for free in the wrkplace ,.

IMO the Daily mail is a tabloid with no purpose other than winding up people .. it has no set agenda of presenting fact based journalisim ... ..

Still how many people on here are aware of the fact that the Modern journalist is takin the easy route by scouring the web for articles to fill there paper ...
  • bikey2009
    The Independent is so named because it is independent of a large media corporation - it isn't aiming to be apolitical.

+!1 for not being aligned to a mainstream political party, but what about the current debate about the valididity of some of the climate predictions for the future.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    spot on fireblade !!!

you forgot house prices in the list of wind up topics :)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • sicknewt
    sicknewt Posts: 181
    Am I a daily hail reader? No. I have a brain and occasionally I like to use it.
  • alfablue
    bikey2009 wrote:

+!1 for not being aligned to a mainstream political party, but what about the current debate about the valididity of some of the climate predictions for the future.
    Sorry, you misunderstand; it's independence is about being independent of a large media corporation, it is nothing to do with political allegiance.
  • alfablue
    Bikey, I am wondering about your motives - you join a bike forum and most of your posts are about newspapers? You start off with what you hope is controversy, when things don't get to the boil you swap to climate change - I suspect you may be the internet troll, personified!

How about discussing cycling for a few hundred posts, first?
  • bikey2009
    alfablue wrote:
    Bikey, I am wondering about your motives - you join a bike forum and most of your posts are about newspapers? You start off with what you hope is controversy, when things don't get to the boil you swap to climate change - I suspect you may be the internet troll, personified!

Truely, I'm cyclist.

I'am just trying to find the connection between the "daily mail" and some previous cycling posts' on thisforum.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    bikey2009 wrote:
    Is there anything more pathetic than having a 'secret' idenity on the internet?
  • bikey2009
    I'm not secret,

Bike radar does not allow you to change your user name or account. If you wan't to change your name you have to create a new user account.
  • alfablue
    bikey2009 wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

Truely, I'm cyclist.

I'am just trying to find the connection between the "daily mail" and some previous cycling posts' on thisforum.
    You may well be a cyclist, I still question your motives.
  • alfablue
    bikey2009 wrote:
    I'm not secret,

Bike radar does not allow you to change your user name or account. If you wan't to change your name you have to create a new user account.
    er, so you have multiple accounts . . . is that permitted?
  • bikey2009
    edited January 2010
    _Brun_ wrote:
    bikey2009 wrote:
    Is there anything more pathetic than having a 'secret' idenity on the internet?

MMMM..........Sorry, I forgot we all now each other......I'll have to change my name now..............please don't give "bikey2010" a hard time I/He/she might cry!
  • bikey2009
    alfablue wrote:
    bikey2009 wrote:
    I'm not secret,

Yes
  • Apologies everyone. I've belatedly made new year's resolutions and decided that Bikey2010 will be less of a schizophrenic knob-stick.
  • bikey2009
    Nice one.
    I'll have to wait to next year now before i can post again.
  • bikey2009
    But what about the daily mail. Ref my original post?
  • bikey2009
    Bikey2010
    loving you already.......... :D:D:D
  • alfablue
    bikey2009 wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    bikey2009 wrote:
    I'm not secret,

Yes
    Oh, strange, because in the Bikeradar T's & C's it says
    5. SPECIFIC RULES RELATING TO CONDUCT: You agree that when using the Website Service you will comply with all Applicable Laws (as defined in paragraph 3), these Terms and you acknowledge that you are responsible for all acts and omissions which occur under your user-name.

In particular, but without limitation, you agree not to:
    Register an account with us under more than one user name and/or user account number;
  • bikey2009
    Please tell me how to change my user name on the forum and i will comply..........if you
    know how please post the link.
  • alfablue
    I have no idea, maybe you can just use your original username and stop posting with these new 2009/2010 ones.
  • bikey2009
    the link.................
  • alfablue
    I don't have a link - I think you are being a bit weird :? Its not very funny. Go and sleep it off now.