Team Sky TdU-Opener results

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    cougie wrote:
    Suttons job was to set it up for Henderson.

I know that but may have been even better publicity if the Aussie beat the Kiwi :lol: Also, if Henderson couldn't get past him he doesn't deserve the win :wink:
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    OMG its a flipping comedy crit FFS, it wouldn't even have shocked me if the result was rigged anyway. Hope March comes around fast so we can get some proper racing and not this pathetic over hyped and analysed chipper stuff.
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    eh wrote:
    OMG its a flipping comedy crit FFS, it wouldn't even have shocked me if the result was rigged anyway. Hope March comes around fast so we can get some proper racing and not this pathetic over hyped and analysed chipper stuff.

you are exactly the type of problem with this country. Show your support. Why can't we all support the closest thing to a national pro team that we can have?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    PauloBets wrote:
    eh wrote:

you are exactly the type of problem with this country. Show your support. Why can't we all support the closest thing to a national pro team that we can have?

+1
  • PBo wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

I know its commom courtesy but if you do find out the result after visiting a cycling forum then you really have no grounds for complaint. Too many posters in here jump all over others for not putting spoiler in a thread title . If you wanted to avoid the result of a race you wouldnt click on a thread with the race in the title would you.

MG's right - and not only does it name the race, it actually uses the word "result".

Err...no....he and you are both wrong.
    The title of the thread contains the words Team Sky, which gives the game away.
    It means not only do you have to stay out of the thread, but avoid the forum altogether.
    Which, kind of defeats the object of a forum, no?

Anyhow, it's water under the bridge.

Let's hope nobody gets carried away, when they get a big win, or we will have to re-define the term "anal". :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    PauloBets wrote:
    eh wrote:

He didn't say you couldn't all support sky.

He's right - it's just a crit, and you can't read a lot into it especially since it's occuring during a part of the season which traditionally doesn't see any racing - so people's form are all over the place.

Doesn't detract from the win, but it's hardly Milan San-Remo is it?

It's got nothing to do with 'this country'.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • eh
    You are right I couldn't really give much of a toss about this country, but even less so about a corporate entity looking to flog me stuff.

Its flipping sport, its just entertainment it really isn't important. Do you really think they'd go faster because I'm sat on the other side of the world shouting at the TV?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    eh wrote:
    You are right I couldn't really give much of a toss about this country, but even less so about a corporate entity looking to flog me stuff.

Its flipping sport, its just entertainment it really isn't important. Do you really think they'd go faster because I'm sat on the other side of the world shouting at the TV?

You're so wrong there. Why do you think they wear earpieces?
  • eh
    You're so wrong there. Why do you think they wear earpieces?

It's so they can listen to tunes while cycling in the autobus, thought everyone knew that :roll:
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:
    eh wrote:

+1

Um... because I'd rather a rider I like win, rather than somebody/thing notionally linked with 'Britain'?

If only people not supporting sky was indicative of the UK's problems, we'd all be a lot better off. I'm sure there are plenty of nationalistic bankers 'working' in the City; didn't do Britain much good eh?

Strava is not Zen.
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    calvjones wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:
    eh wrote:

+1

Um... because I'd rather a rider I like win, rather than somebody/thing notionally linked with 'Britain'?

If only people not supporting sky was indicative of the UK's problems, we'd all be a lot better off. I'm sure there are plenty of nationalistic bankers 'working' in the City; didn't do Britain much good eh?

A bit of pride in a great new team with a strong British connection too much to ask? And ethically pretty good by the looks of it too. Shame on you
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    edited January 2010
    PauloBets wrote:
    A bit of pride in a great new team with a strong British connection too much to ask? And ethically pretty good by the looks of it too. Shame on you

Why should anyone like them just because the backing is from the UK if they don't want to? If that floats your boat great, but if it doesn't, also great.

Yes, ethically sound, now there's a debate and a half.

Here's a question : Would you prefer Cavendish to win or, say, EBH in a race against each other?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • i noticed that griepel made up a LOT of ground in the final 100 meters or so, and im thinking that if he wasnt 10 places or so back on henderson, he would of destroyed everyone.

I think that if Sky cant get their guys up that far every time, they wont win the sprints.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Moray Gub wrote:
    I know its commom courtesy but if you do find out the result after visiting a cycling forum then you really have no grounds for complaint.
    Surely other people lacking common courtesy is itself a ground for complaint. If not, what do you think common courtesy means?
    PBo wrote:
    MG's right - and not only does it name the race, it actually uses the word "result".
    Sure, its easy enough to add "spoiler", but I think that on visiting this forum, to discuss "the cycling world that don't revolve around Sky and the TDU", there are plenty of threads which clearly do not include "tdu" and "result" in them. the reader would only have themselves to blame..
    The title has been changed since the argument started PBo. The old title was "yeee haaa team sky wins and it wasn't only a crit", or something along those lines.

fair enough - didn't know
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    i noticed that griepel made up a LOT of ground in the final 100 meters or so, and im thinking that if he wasnt 10 places or so back on henderson, he would of destroyed everyone.

I think that if Sky cant get their guys up that far every time, they wont win the sprints.
    Thats the whole point, he was in the wrong place because he was struggling to hold the his lead out train and their train was broken up also so it is meaningless to say he would have won if he had been further up the filed. You can say that about all the oter riders!!
    I would have won if I had been there and off the front before they finished, but I wasn't :D
  • What a great start to the road season - one race (just a crit) done, and you've all descending into petty squabling...
  • oldwelshman
    Bhima wrote:
    Yes, excellent war between the two trains in the last couple of laps. It's good to see Columbia get shut down at last! :D

Columbia's train seems to be full of powerhouses who TT it, allowing the train to go on for ages and ages, but Sky's had a few sprinters in there, which is sort of why Columbia were able to overpower them at one point. Basically, it seemed to be a few all-out efforts with slight depressions inbetween. If they did the leadout train closer to the end, they could easily beat Columbia every time, as they could keep a higher speed for longer. I think this is why Cav's train was so good - Renshaw being a sprinter was able to go so fast that nobody could come round them once he kicked. Well, they did, but then Cav would kick.
    Dont forget Sky have some very powerful lead out guys for future races, namely Wiggo and Thomas!! They will take some holding in a lead out train, will be interesting to see how it goes with EBH on the endo of the train against Cav.
    Cav deifnatley has the fastest finish at the moment and could win without his train but EBH will improve.
    Hats off to Dowling, did an excellent stint on the front to take back over from the yellow train.
  • i noticed that griepel made up a LOT of ground in the final 100 meters or so, and im thinking that if he wasnt 10 places or so back on henderson, he would of destroyed everyone.

Thats the whole point, he was in the wrong place because he was struggling to hold the his lead out train and their train was broken up also so it is meaningless to say he would have won if he had been further up the filed. You can say that about all the oter riders!!
    I would have won if I had been there and off the front before they finished, but I wasn't :D

:P i don't think you get my point, im saying that Sky can't rely on a strong lead-out for every race,(as they/and people are making out) as HTC would usualy be up there alongside them, in whichcase greipel would have henderson.
  • oldwelshman
    i noticed that griepel made up a LOT of ground in the final 100 meters or so, and im thinking that if he wasnt 10 places or so back on henderson, he would of destroyed everyone.

:P i don't think you get my point, im saying that Sky can't rely on a strong lead-out for every race,(as they/and people are making out) as HTC would usualy be up there alongside them, in whichcase greipel would have henderson.
    Its all part of the tactics. In an out an out sprint, 1 on 1 Griepel would win, but its all about tactics, pacing and gettting the lead out right, which sky did to their credit. Its not always the strongest fastest rider wins.
    Remember Henderson has been leadout for Griepel so probably knows his weaknesses, Griepel did loose his position with his train and he has done this before. When do you see Cav loose Renshaw's wheel?

Its all part of the tactics. In an out an out sprint, 1 on 1 Griepel would win, but its all about tactics, pacing and gettting the lead out right, which sky did to their credit. Its not always the strongest fastest rider wins.
    Remember Henderson has been leadout for Griepel so probably knows his weaknesses, Griepel did loose his position with his train and he has done this before. When do you see Cav loose Renshaw's wheel?

very good point, but i take it griepel wont loose the wheel everytime?

i sure am looking forward to the tour down under :P
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    PauloBets wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:
    eh wrote:

+1

There are some things I'm ashamed of but I'm very comfortable with my lack of British nationalism thanks. And as for this idea that cos they say they'll be clean they will... Why don't you ask DB how one of his riders ended up being rested for 50%+. HCT at a fairly important track meet recently?

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    calvjones wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

There are some things I'm ashamed of but I'm very comfortable with my lack of British nationalism thanks. And as for this idea that cos they say they'll be clean they will... Why don't you ask DB how one of his riders ended up being rested for 50%+. HCT at a fairly important track meet recently?

Staying weeelllll away from the "clean because they say they are" argument, but I do find it baffling that I'm supposed to support Sky because they're a British team. Maybe I have a deficient patriotism gene or something.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Staying weeelllll away from the "clean because they say they are" argument, but I do find it baffling that I'm supposed to support Sky because they're a British team. Maybe I have a deficient patriotism gene or something.

Oh cr*p. I'll have to get Kazakh citizenship. :roll:
  • afx237vi wrote:

Not at all. This is cycling, not football.
    I'm a fan of the sport, as a whole.
    Besides, whenever I think Sky and I get a picture of an old Australian geezer.
    (and that's with their tee shirt in the family. :oops: )

Go Aqua e Sapone! :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    It's one of the things I find a bit sad about the hype surrounding Sky is that, because they're British you must support them. Nationalism has never really been an issue for me in the sport - always liked a rider because of what he did, not where he came from/what language he spoke, and I intend to continue.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I am pleased for Sky, because they won. If this had been last year, and Cervelo had won their first ever race, I would have been delighted for them as well.

It's only one crit, but what I'm most excited about is that they may provide some decent opposition to the HTC-Columbia mega-train. McEwan is finally back (although I doubt he'll do much in the twilight of his career, but I'd still like him to win a few races, maybe even a stage in a grand tour) and we'll have some interesting sprints this season.

Still want Cav to be win the most sprints though.
  • oldwelshman
    calvjones wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:
    eh wrote:

+1

Not that old chestnut? !!
    If you want to discuss that issue feel free to go on veloriders and discuss the issue with the rider concerned as he has posted on this issue on there, if you have the balls!!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    All the fuss on here about putting spoiler on the thread title - someone needs to have a moan at Bike Radar as the first thing I saw on opening the site was a headline about the Stage 1 winner :evil:
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    +1
    PBo wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

I know its commom courtesy but if you do find out the result after visiting a cycling forum then you really have no grounds for complaint. Too many posters in here jump all over others for not putting spoiler in a thread title . If you wanted to avoid the result of a race you wouldnt click on a thread with the race in the title would you.

It means not only do you have to stay out of the thread, but avoid the forum altogether.

or how about staying off the site altogether, if you like keeping all that pent up tension and suspense until the highlights? Just a thought :wink: as Bike Radar don't seem to share your sentiments on this matter either....... :roll:
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Flanners1 wrote:
    +1
    PBo wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

or how about staying off the site altogether, if you like keeping all that pent up tension and suspense until the highlights? Just a thought :wink: as Bike Radar don't seem to share your sentiments on this matter either.......

What a mountain out of a molehill
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er