My Giant Anthem X custom build

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited July 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Never really got on with my Merlin Malt 4 so i have decided to invest in a Giant Anthem X frame and move most of the bits over from the Malt to it along with bits left over from my Blur LT2 build.

Few pictures of the frame i picked up from www.Cyclestore.co.uk in Congleton:
P1000350.jpg
P1000351.jpg
P1000352.jpg

And this is how it looks at the moment:
P1000366.jpg

Waiting on some Formula R1's and some more bike tape for along the chainstay as what i had was not long enough.

Spec will be roughly as follows:

2010 Anthem X frame,
Fox RP23 shock,
Rockshox 2010 Reba Team forks,
Formula R1 brakes,
Sram X0 rear mech,
XT front mech,
Sram X9 shifters,
XT chainset,
XT cassette 11-34,
Easton EC70 carbon seatpost,
Hope Pro 2 hubs,
Mavic 717 rims,
Fizik Gobi XM with Kium rails.

Should have complete pictures tomorrow as long as brakes and chainstay protection arrives.

Comments

• very nice build there matey 8)
  • Nice - especially in the picture that doesn't look like a pile up on the Tour De France :wink:
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • teacherman wrote:
    Nice - especially in the picture that doesn't look like a pile up on the Tour De France :wink:

:lol: Been having to have a clear up in the garage. Hopefully if everything arrives tomorrow i will get some decent pictures up.
  • Thats bloody lovely! 8)
    Nicely thought out spec too.Spending the money in the right places.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • excellent bike you have there. i was going to get a 2010 anthem x2 but couldn't wait until feb (when the shop would be able to get one).so got a 2010 stumpy fsr comp instead.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Giggidy! I love that brushed aluminium finish!

How are you liking it so far?
  • How are you liking it so far?

Not ridden it yet, just waiting for the last few bits to arrive then it will have its maiden voyage. Hopefully I will have a spin on it tomorrow just to check everything over and make sure everything is working spot on.

Aiming to build it up quite light, around 25lbs would be a winner.

From the reviews i have seen on the Anthem range all have raved about the chassis so hopefully its a wise choice.
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    Nice . It needs a Rock Shox Sid up front though.
  • owen908 wrote:
    Nice . It needs a Rock Shox Sid up front though.

The Reba aint that porkie Owen! Merlin have good deals on SID's at the moment actually lol!
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Nice bike. I like it a lot.

It should look good with the new brakes.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Tasty...agree with owen908 on the Sid's..should be able to get mid 24lbs fairly easily. And welcome to the club.
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    Nice build..

My X3 turns up tomorrow - the plan is to upgrade it with the X0/Elixir/Reba Race bits from my Boardman HT.. and then maybe turn the latter into a singlespeed, just because I'm curious!
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    NIce, what sort of fork will these take upfront, is 120mm out of the question?
  • stu8975 wrote:
    Tasty...agree with owen908 on the Sid's..should be able to get mid 24lbs fairly easily. And welcome to the club.

What model of SID's do you have on yours? Looking at them at Merlin at the moment.
  • stu8975
    Mine are '09 Sid Teams (no remote lockout,silver decals) with custom blue decals to match the blue on the frame...full spec (so far) here..

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#15410241

Looking to change my brakes to Hope X2 Race and prob go with a 2x9 or 2x10 set up, gonna wait see what happens with XTR. Maybe scrape into the 22lb mark.
  • Very nice build you have there.

Just fitted my Formula R1's, very light and from my couple of squeezes on the lever they have a great feel.

Just waiting on my bike tape from biketart for the rear chainstay and i can then finish the build and get out on it. No point going finishing the build only to have to pull bits off later to fit the tape.

Should be able to save a fair bit of weight from tubes and tyres and also the stem and bars when i upgrade them in the future.
  • owen908
    stu8975 - your Anthem is wank worthy - very nice. Cant wait for my X1 to arrive in Feb
  • Formula R1's:
    P1000370.jpg
    P1000371.jpg
    P1000372.jpg
  • owen908
    Nice. Only thing i would suggest mate is to get some red hope skewers to go with the red detail on the brakes.
  • owen908
    Actually just realised youve got gold hubs.Forget that then.
  • baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    so you ridden it yet
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • baba123 wrote:
    so you ridden it yet

No waiting for bike tape from biketart. Royal mail are holding my ride up...
  • muddylegs
    muddylegs Posts: 485
    You will like those R1's they are a great brake.
  • stu8975
    owen908 wrote:
    stu8975 - your Anthem is wank worthy - very nice. Cant wait for my X1 to arrive in Feb

I know what you mean about waiting, had to wait 3 months for mine..well worth it though...seems like a totally different bike to my old Anthem 2. Think i've got a thing for maestro suspension design.
  • Yay:
    P1000376.jpg
    Then as its a bit grim outside I put it against a mixer for some pics with a decidedly average background!
    P1000377.jpg
    P1000378.jpg
    P1000379.jpg
    P1000383.jpg
    P1000384.jpg
    P1000385.jpg
    And one for Owen908, this is the only view of it you will get from now on, uphill and down!!!
    P1000386.jpg
  • What colour of SID's should i go for then, white or black?
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    What colour of SID's should i go for then, white or black?

Black would probably work better with that frame, but I do love white forks...
  • Frame has both white and black decals so i could probably get away with either. Decisions, decisions!
  • Black SID Teams with grey decals are here, along with some Easton SL Monkey bars.
  • New bits:
    P1000392.jpg
    P1000393.jpg
    P1000394.jpg
    Just need to cut the steer tube down tomorrow morning:
    P1000395.jpg