Etape 2010

Comments

• nigelsmith
    nigelsmith Posts: 16
    great advice fj thanks - did the climbs in May - the MB was the toughie but a steady pace made it ok - the killer will be the heat and hydration
  • 56mph
    56mph Posts: 70
    So you reckon Marie-Blanque is tougher than the Assasin (Tourmalet)? Thinking of riding up M-B on Friday to test the legs as staying South of Pau.
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    FransJacques - thanks for the advice. There's more information in there than in this entire thread!
    I watched the recon video 2 nights ago, and they said the Marie Blanque was hard becuase you couldn't settle into a rhythm, with constantly changing gradients.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Guys, one biggie is that the top of the MB is 10% for the last 3 kms and the road is about as wide as the desk you're currrently sitting at. With the field being so large this year expect to have to put a foot down on the climb, not due to steepness like the Kemmelberg but due to hoards of peeps, mainly Brits, that the kind French stick in the last pen.

If you have a 9xxx or 8xxx number, first of all good luck, second of all, when you're back, please tell us how many Brits were around you in your pen at the beginning vs French. ASO has been doing this for years (I first noticed it in 2006) and it assures a self-fulfilling prophecy of many UK riders not finishing. One of the reasons I won't go any more. Despite a ~1200 scratch placing in 2008 my 2009 start number was 5xxx. This year I'm going fly fishing in Scotland instead - taking the MTB tho :-)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • AlainR
    AlainR Posts: 88
    56mph wrote:
    Thinking of riding up M-B on Friday to test the legs as staying South of Pau.

We're doing the MB on Friday as bit of a Recce.

We're driving down to Pau tomorrow, then we'll take a drive from to the MB to check it out, then ride it. It'll be good to know what to expect and also a good chance to check my choice of gearing etc....

Exciting stuff!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    56mph wrote:
    So you reckon Marie-Blanque is tougher than the Assasin (Tourmalet)? Thinking of riding up M-B on Friday to test the legs as staying South of Pau.

No way... just steeper towards the top...

The Tourmalet has the wind and the length... and it's 8-9% most of the way... plus it's the last climb, which makes it much harder.
    I expect a serious rider to go up the MB no problem, especially in the morning, before the heat kicks in...

But it will stay in your legs, same as the Soulor... the Tourmalet will be about survival.

When I did it, after the Aubisque, I climbed it in 1 hour 50, but did the Aubisque in 1 hour 20... the difference in average climbing speed is quite relevant, from 900 mt/hour down to under 800...

Good luck
    left the forum March 2023
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Current forecast is sunny 25c-concerned about the comments re Brits given high numbers-my entry was last year yet given a very high number so will be keeping an eye on J***** F********`s and will post back.
    On the other hand, would welcome the support from a home crew.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Despite a ~1200 scratch placing in 2008 my 2009 start number was 5xxx. This year I'm going fly fishing in Scotland instead - taking the MTB tho :-)
    It's only this year that they are taking previous rides into account. Before then it was up to your, or your tour operator, to indicate your relative ability. Sounds like Graham Baxter might have put you in the 5000s?

The Marie-Blanque's a tough one! There could well be problems but if you have to walk, do it on the side of the road, let others pass.
  • If you have a 9xxx or 8xxx number, first of all good luck

Damn, my number is 9804 :(
  • flix23
    flix23 Posts: 72
    Yay, just about to leave work, early flight to Toulouse tomorrow, hello Pyrenees by lunchtime! :D

Forecast for the weekend still looking good, can't wait. Good luck everyone!
  • boondog
    Sat in the airport now , bike is checked in.
    shame the flight is delayed, can't wait to get there !!
    Goo luck all.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Do they have premixed drinks on the food stops?
    Last year I took my own powder and mixed up drinks so it wasn't an issue. This year, I've just been taking whatever is ready mixed on various sportives. Just wanted to check that they do have premixed stuff on Etape as I cant remember.

good luck everyone :)
  • 56mph
    popette wrote:
    Do they have premixed drinks on the food stops?
    Last year I took my own powder and mixed up drinks so it wasn't an issue. This year, I've just been taking whatever is ready mixed on various sportives. Just wanted to check that they do have premixed stuff on Etape as I cant remember.

good luck everyone :)

Don't think they do, I remember orange and lemon flavoured water which was pretty useless, but may be wrong.
  • popette
    Cheers - thanks for the info. I don't remember them being there either. One more thing to sort out.
    It's glorious over here - supposed to be a hot day tomorrow too :)
    Happy days....
  • 56mph
    Flying (far too) early tomorrow to Biarritz; good luck to all!
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    sat in my hotel room (just outside pau) having a couple of glasses of vin rouge. :) Popped out earlier to find the depart village and it was 28 degrees c at 8pm. :shock: Sunday is going to be a hot one! The Pyrenees looked awesome as the sun was setting.

Good luck everyone for Sunday!
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    Just realised the "host village" and the start are in completely different parts of Pau :roll:
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Good luck folks. Should be an epic ride :D
  • FransJacques
    mixed drinks are a joke, they're basically coloured water - make your own if you expect *any* performance benefit from them. You've spent this much money, don't scrimp now.

Going to be a fricken oven Sunday - wear your thinnest socks, white full zip jersey, bring a white cap to wear to keep the sun off on the climbs while your helmet is on your bars.

Ride in *any* shade you can find on the climbs, roads are closed so use it all. Get Team Sky to leave "cool suits" at the top of the climbs.

For once despite what your GP says it's ok to put TONS of salt on your pasta since you'll sweat it all out anyway. I've tried salt tablets in the past but dietary salt is normally more natural for the body.

On Saturday, drink bottle after bottle of electrolyte to keep hydrated and topped up as your body adjusts from UK to south of France weather. It's tempting to linger at the village d'acceuil but it's better to take it easy. If you're peeing anything darker than light yellow you're not hydrated enough.

I'm a bit fascist about this stuff so don't want to sound too harsh, just remembering this polish coach i had when I was a kid who was unrepentant in telling us pampered soft, pink westerners how to prepare like a hard easterner. Great guy sadly departed now.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • FHKJ
    FHKJ Posts: 151
    Rode the Marie Blanc today, that is one impressive Col! 11-12% average for the last 6km is hard bleeding work!

Nervous and excited about Sunday, good luck to everyone...
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    fransjacques has some good advice for you guys.

i've done some big hot events in my time (including 2007 etape) and there are ways of coping with the heat (many of which FJ has suggested), but if you don't have a plan for it, it will kill your ride.

another option is to take electrolytes with you on the ride. re-hydration salts or the noon type stuff works very well. you can get re-hydration salts from any chemist. take the sachets in the jersey pockets and bung them in the bottles ... remember ... earlier is better. dont' wait for the cramps to start.
  • FransJacques
    Apparently there's a secret feed zone set up by Cyclefit. Go and bug them at their stand. Not sure who it's for. I still get the mails even tho my fit was in 2006!

Best of luck to you guys, you're lucky that you can watch the tour in French (it's proper language) on France2 ou 3 in a nice cafe, sipping a noisette or a chilled rose. The life!!

Something about Daniel Mangeas' voice which just equates with the tour.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    yeah, best of luck to all you guys ...

for what it's worth I've done 3 etapes (06 - 08) and was a silver medal standard rider ...

if i was doing sunday (and wish i was) here's what i'd be planning for the day ...

- 2 large full bottles on the bike. 3 gels plus 2 sachets of electrolyte, plust some dried apricots in pockets

- no gilet, no armwarners or any of that crap ... it's going to be hot

- no saddlebags, multitools or any of the crap. take the allen key that does stem and seatpost. that's it. pump, lever, one innertube, puncture repair kit with E50 note and credit card, Nothing else. keep it simple and light.

- full length zip ss jersey

- keep well fueled up the first climb ... energy drink and a few pieces of dried fruit. refuel before the Solour and have an energy gel and more fruit at the base of it.

- hit the gel in the transfer to the tourmalet and heave in the energy drink ..

just writing this crap out makes me wish i was in pau. Good luck all ...
  • PACE the MB. First 6 km are quite easy, particularly first 2 km where you'll wonder what the fuss is about - large swiss fella who I did the QBH with roared up it, dropping my group, despite warnings that this was not like other climbs, as he was "not like ze other riders".

1 km from the top we all passed him and he was getting people to push him.

Last 4 km are really hard, particularly as no hairpins, but eminently do-able.

Descent if it's dry is superfast and really fun, so you can go a bit bonkers.

Enjoy.
  • popette
    Been here almost a week now and I'm wondering if I overdid the carb-loading, pain au chocolate stylee! Feeling a bit blobby. I've also been craving salty pretzels so perhaps that will help on the salt front.

I'm doing 10 minutes on the bike in the morning, just to run through all the gears as I've been having a problem changing small chainring to large. If I get any issues in the morning I'll take my bike with me when I go to register for a check over.

Starting to sink in that we have only two more sleeps.
    Thanks for all the advice on here - really good stuff.

:)
  • FransJacques
    Good stuff for the Gucci handbag carriers: forget the hairbrush and for guys that overly-optimistic condom you've always had in your wallet since uni -> Bank card, visa card, business card or drivers license (for ID), and a EUR 50 note. that's it. Put it in a baggie.

Yes i'm one of those sados that wholesale rapes the free baggies you get at airline check in: phone and money in one, patches/glue/sandpaper in another, carefully measured 'dime-bags' of white powder in the next 4. I always try to tempt fate at the airport and ask the security guy "are you not going to look at those more carefully?" but with the rise of the Etape in the last 5-6 years I think they've all seen PSP (and I don't mean angeldust) in bags before.....bummer...
  • boondog
    good luck to all, see you en route tomorrow.
    I just rode up the Marie Blanque (in my car :roll:) and the descent was pretty good !
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Early update from just seeing the 'leaders' go through Escot (foot of the Marie-Blanque). They're flying & some Brit-looking jerseys in the front 50 or so. :D
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    going out with the AUdlem cycling club today, even though its fun, would much rather be doing the etape. Good luck!
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    Good Luck to all you brave men and women.
    Take it easy.
    Have a good breakfast, nothing different from what would have at home.
    May sure all your gilets, water bottles, food, glasses etc are safely attached at the start. If you drop them it's unlikely you will get them back very quickly.
    Re Marie Blanc, There's strong possibility you will end up walking some of it. It's narrow, comes early in the event and thousands of cyclists will slow everything to a snail/walk pace. Just chill and have a chat. In fact try having a basic chat with a temporary ride buddy or sing something simple to yourself from time to time on most of the climbs. It will keep you paced, should take you out of punishment/ "why am I doing this?" mode and will stop you trying to go too fast.
    Luz- saint-Sauveur is a nice little town maybe grab and ice cream as you go through.(Better than all those gels) Kicks up a bit through Bareges. Likewise treat your self to an ice cream. It'll be hot day. Break the ride up save all till going over the bridge with 4.3 miles to go for the final ascent. You'll soon see the top which will seem like an eternity to get to.

Bonne chance mes amis. Courage