Etape 2010

Comments

• boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    mabarbie wrote:
    Ithinking of going up a 2nd cat climb there on the wednesday before the etape,
    which climb around Marseille are you doing ? I can recommend the Sainte Baume from Gemenos, it's where they film some Renault adverts. Lots of switch backs and an 700m ascent.
  • mabarbie
    mabarbie Posts: 64
    It was the Col d'Espigoulier, also from Gemenos oddly enough and also just over 700m in height! Possibly the same mountain? Anyway back to the point which is, should I be doing this? I love climbing and descending (not that I'm super quick) but not riding a bike for two whole weeks will be really weird for me as I am tidying things up at work, and then will be travelling around and this will be my first chance of getting on my bike again. I've done the Baelach na Ba as part of my training so feel good about my climbing, just will seem very odd not to ride at all!
    :(
  • flix23
    flix23 Posts: 72
    I've just had final itinerary type information from the tour company I've booked my Etape trip with. They are "strongly reccommending" riding the what they claim to be easy the 35km from Lourdes (where the hotel) is to the race village in Pau on registration day. (Bikes will be left in the bike park therefore ready for collection on the Sunday).

Anyone know what the ride is like?

Looking on google maps, even the shortest route would appear to be 45km+ and I'm not convinced I want to ride that the day before. My normal pattern before big rides is to do nothing the day before, this seems to suit me quite well.
  • 56mph
    56mph Posts: 70
    Definitely nearer 45km than 35km as the registration is at the Hippodrome which is outside Pau on the north side of town near the autoroute. Not sure I'd leave my bike overnight there without locking it, even in a security cage which is what they provide. I remember it's quite hilly around Lourdes but certainly nothing difficult for an Etape rider looking to spin out the legs.

I assume the 'strong recommendation' is because your travel company doesn't want the hassle of having to transport your bikes into Pau early on the Sunday morning :lol:

Good luck and see you there (#6884).
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    clanton wrote:
    Any info on where the feed statuions will be? Just starting to give thought to my nutritional "strategy" ;-)

Food and Drinks: Plateau de Bénou @ 70KM
    Food and Drinks: Ferrières @ 112KM
    Drinks only: Sommet du Soulor @ 125KM
    Food and Drinks: Argelès-Gazost @ 144KM
    Drinks only: Super Barèges @ 173KM
  • flix23
    I assume the 'strong recommendation' is because your travel company doesn't want the hassle of having to transport your bikes into Pau early on the Sunday morning

Or even on the Saturday, by the sounds of it!
  • boondog
    just to be clear, we can register on Friday/Saturday and then just rock up on the morning with our bikes can't we ? no need to leave them there ?
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    caw35slr wrote:
    clanton wrote:
    Any info on where the feed statuions will be? Just starting to give thought to my nutritional "strategy" ;-)

Food and Drinks: Plateau de Bénou @ 70KM
    Food and Drinks: Ferrières @ 112KM
    Drinks only: Sommet du Soulor @ 125KM
    Food and Drinks: Argelès-Gazost @ 144KM
    Drinks only: Super Barèges @ 173KM

Thanks for that, and for the link earlier from someone else!
  • clanton
    boondog wrote:
    just to be clear, we can register on Friday/Saturday and then just rock up on the morning with our bikes can't we ? no need to leave them there ?

That is my understanding - it better be cause we need to ride our bikes to the start from our hotel!

The distance is 8k, plus 181k of Etape, 4k to La Mongie, 25k ish to the carpark - 218k day! Ok lot will be downhill at the end - but you will have had to climb the hill first!
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    flix23 wrote:
    I've just had final itinerary type information from the tour company I've booked my Etape trip with. They are "strongly reccommending" riding the what they claim to be easy the 35km from Lourdes (where the hotel) is to the race village in Pau on registration day. (Bikes will be left in the bike park therefore ready for collection on the Sunday).

Looking on google maps, even the shortest route would appear to be 45km+ and I'm not convinced I want to ride that the day before. My normal pattern before big rides is to do nothing the day before, this seems to suit me quite well.

Hi Felix

I did the 2008 Etape and as far as I rememmeber the route was about 60 km and had quite a lot of downhill at the end...which means you will have some climb unless you stick to the main roads.
    I suppose it is more about if you want to ride that sort of a distance on Saturday or not
    exercise.png
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Arrived in the Pyrenees!! It's so beautiful - the mountains are over to my left and they look both ominous and exciting!
    I'm going to do Tourmalet from Marie de Campan in the morning - can't wait.
    What a mammoth drive though - flipping 'eck!!
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    Did the Tourmalet as a recce ride today.

Full details on my webpage in my sig.

Enjoy everybody!
  • 56mph
    Weather forecast looking good for Sunday, sunny and max 23 deg at the top with a light westerly to blow us up the hill, makes a nice change from 2008 :lol::lol:
  • clanton
    Excited and nervous now - next 2 1/2 days at work is going to drag!!
  • I'm quite nervous about this now. After looking at the course flythrough on the Guardian website I realise that this is a serious ride.

I also didn't really think my travel plans through and have to be back at Toulouse airport at about 7am the next morning. Oops.

How is everyone getting their bike there? I've got a padded bike bag and putting lagging around the tubes to protect them a bit better.

Hopefully because I'm on an early morning flight on Thursday it won't be too bad as far as baggage is concerned.
  • boondog
    IAfter looking at the course flythrough on the Guardian website I realise that this is a serious ride.
    :lol::lol:
    starting to worry about my diet, and getting the pre-race nutrition right over the next few days. Im going to pack the bike up tomorrow night, then will probably unpack and repack Weds to check everything is there :)
    I was out today trying to buy a gilet, not much joy in the shops. Anyone know if there is are shops in Pau before the event for last minute purchases?
  • flix23
    Yep I'm pretty excited now, wacthing the Tour in the Alps yesterday only added to it!
    I was out today trying to buy a gilet, not much joy in the shops. Anyone know if there is are shops in Pau before the event for last minute purchases?

Pau does have bike shops as well as a Decathlon - personally though I'd want to know I had all my kit sorted before I left the country. If you ordered online now and paid for next day delivery you'd be ok.. I have one of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pearl-izumi/zephrr-vest-ec011900 and find it excellent - rolls up very small, but makes a big difference if you're feeling a bit cool whilst out on the bike.
  • boondog
    I wondered if there would be stands etc selling goodies, take advantage of 9,500 riders with credit cards. I agree entirely about taking everything with me, I though I had everything until I overlooked this ! I even managed to ship some co2 cannisters in advance, so hopefully this will be my last purchase.
    56mph -where are you getting your forecast/condictions from ?
  • 56mph
    There will be tons of opportunities to be parted from your cash at the start village in Pau and certainly boondog you will be able to buy a gilet. There is also full mechanical support from Mavic there if you can't get those gears to index properly or if the baggage-handlers have dropped your bike (this happened to me one year and the big chainring got bent, now I use a hard box).

I got a new helmet last year when I noticed a crack in the one I'd brought with me.You can even buy a shiny new bike if you are mad enough to leave it that late (or BA has left yours behind!)

Weather forecast is from

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/ ... NOREGION=1
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I'm quite nervous about this now. After looking at the course flythrough on the Guardian website I realise that this is a serious ride.

I also didn't really think my travel plans through and have to be back at Toulouse airport at about 7am the next morning. Oops.

How is everyone getting their bike there? I've got a padded bike bag and putting lagging around the tubes to protect them a bit better.

Hopefully because I'm on an early morning flight on Thursday it won't be too bad as far as baggage is concerned.

Very serious ride... I did the Raid Pyrenean last month and stage two had Aubisque+Tourmalet... first col no problem, I was flying... but the Tourmalet was long and tough... you'll do it after the Marie Blanque, which is a serious climb and has a very steep section and the Soulor, which is not a monster, but it's quite long (1 hour +)... and then the 19 Km up the Tourmalet... in the heat, at least up to 4-5 Km to the col, then the combination of lower temperature and wind should give some relief... but by then you'll have very little gas left in the tank.
    left the forum March 2023
  • boondog
    Doh. ! Remembered to post co2 cannisters to my hotel, but forgot the pittstop!
    Will stick it in some pipe lagging and hope they don't check.
    Tonight I'll be watching the DVD of the course, that'll help me sleep :shock:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Don't worry, just pack an inner tube. Too many Brits seem to start these rides equipped like mountain sherpas, complete with a kitchen sink in the saddle bag. You're only going for an 8 ride where there's roadside mechanical support and sales, not a week long unassisted tour :wink:

Relax a bit and enjoy the ride 8)
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    My first Etape-does anyone know if this event will be excluded from the usual medical insurance cover and to what extent if any the race provides cover with the fee-cannot see anything on the Etape site and from winter skiing its usually hope for the best?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • nevman
    clanton wrote:
    Number out: 9681 - 10000 is my group, other half there too. Great. Guess I'll have some work to do. Not worried about me provided I don't get held up by traffic, but not ideal for my other half as she is a slow starter. She can ride all day but is a steady, constant pace rider rather than quick. Not much we can do except hope the training pays off and its all worth it!

Hi Clanton-just seen my number,9771 so will see you in the pen on Sunday-Derby Merc colours blue/white-bon chance
    Nev

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • thenumber8
    thenumber8 Posts: 68
    Casbar wrote:
    flix23 wrote:

Hi Felix

I did the 2008 Etape and as far as I rememmeber the route was about 60 km and had quite a lot of downhill at the end...which means you will have some climb unless you stick to the main roads.
    I suppose it is more about if you want to ride that sort of a distance on Saturday or not

I did the 2008 Etape and did the ride between Lourdes and Pau on the Saturday. It was an easy route, through the valley, with no uphills at all. If it's anything like a couple of years ago, the organisers will pick up riders using the same tour company from the various hotels being used in Lourdes and do the ride as a large group so you can sit in and take it easy. It was a breeze and quite nice to turn the legs over before the Sunday.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    boondog wrote:
    so what would you take to wear given your previous experience ?
    I was planning on a normal cycling shirt and a Gilet (folded up in my rear pocket). I'd have to stop to unfold and wear it, but thought that should suffice ?
    Will also have arm coolers on, and normal bib shorts. If it rains it will be interesting, I didn't plan on taking any shoe covers for either wind or rain, is that being shortsighted ?

Suffice for what? UK weather? At this stage the forcast says 28C and that's a French 28C which means double it and add 20 :-). http://www.xcweather.co.uk/FR/observations

Ditch the gilet and the arm warmers unless they're the white type of arm coolers -> a good idea as you'll not have to put on too much sun cream. You'll be so hot from the climb you won't need a gilet on the descent, you'll enjoy the air conditioning in fact.

I'm not saying don't pack them but don't take them on the ride if it's anything over 28C for the high. Check out the wind forcast as well. Don't believe the newbies around you either, and esp don't believe your rep, they're too ultra conservative in their advice b/c they're lazy and don't want to have to pick you up if you forgot something. There's too much conventional wisdom on "helpful" sites about always having a gilet for descents. 2008 was an obvious case as it was raining at 7 am.

DO NOT APPLY sun cream on your forehead or anywhere near your eyes. Take an old cap, cut the top off and wear that to sheild your eyes a la Tafi. Sun cream blocks your pores from perspiring at full capacity, many buddies of mine put up with sun burn and ride without. I can't quite do that but I go light on it.

Take your helmet off, do up the buckle and put it over your stem too get the weight off your neck & shoulders. Get a white helmet. Take off you gloves as well on climbs - the breeze on your wrists can cool you. Don't wear a watch, you presumably have a computer.

Take a full zip or 3/4 length jersey. Watch highlights of the recent stages. I've never seen so many pros with their jerseys 100% unzippped. 10 years ago you never saw that. If they have 5% body fat and are hot, where does that leave you and I?

Take a 1.5 L evian bottle with you to the start with your fave energy drink and quaff it in the pen. Take a pee against the fence if you must. The french do it.

Remember with the heat to eat less and rely more on gels and esp. liquids - this isn't the "Tour of the freezing cold orkneys" where its -5C in summer and they have haggis and potatoes at the stops. Your HR will be higher as your body diverts blood to your skin for cooling so don't put extra load on it with heavy food in the stomach - light touch liquids and gels are key. Kendal mint cake is great for sugar, maltloaf is a no no, save that for January.

Take 2 tubes and use electrical tape to tape them behind your seatpost. It's faster than diving into an over-packed saddle bag should you flat.

Only have food in your pockets - phones and cash and keys and cards fill up pockets and block perspiration.

Try to take a camera and go for the arm's length self-portrait with a mtn behind you, it'll be hell but really it'll be over so fast you'll wish you could've stopped to enjoy the occasion more.

Talk to those around you and crack jokes, best way to pass the time. Most french are super talkative and good jokers with a wry sence of humour.

On the climbs, esp the Tourmalet, like a marathon pick a pace that feels too easy, then back off another 5% and *that* pace will get you to the top without blowing. Should you have anything left, save it for the last 2 kms. Like Bode Miller, leave all your energy on the mtn!
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • nevman
    FJ-sounds like good advice to me-need all the nouse I can muster for the first big `un and judging by todays TdF even the pros get into trouble sometimes,eh Cadel?Thanks for this. :wink::wink:

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • boondog
    thanks for the spolier :roll:
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    nevman wrote:
    FJ-sounds like good advice to me-need all the nouse I can muster for the first big `un and judging by todays TdF even the pros get into trouble sometimes,eh Cadel?Thanks for this. :wink::wink:

Bit harsh. ey....i want to see you ride with a broken elbow !!! I dont mean that literally :-)
    exercise.png