Etape 2010

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
Come on then, it's 2010 - who's in for the big one?

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Yes. My wife and I will be riding the Etape, then staying on to watch the pros come through a few dyas alter. Should be a great trip.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I'm going to be in the area when it's on. Wouldn't mind giving it a go but not interested in paying a tour operator a few grand for the privilege.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    I'm in, just need an entry, any suggestions?
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Having laid out at the top of the Ventoux, dazed, thoroughly bonked and promising never to do anything so stupid again, I am of course signed up. (but with a cunning new plan to eat and drink during the ride).

Works well this year - do the Etape on Sunday and stay in the area to catch the Tour 2-3 times in the week following. Does mean a trip to Florida at Easter to do Disneyland, Universal Sudios etc, but worth the sacrifice.
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Just like Mccaria, I suffered big time on Ventoux and apparently made all sorts of rash promises to the wife about not repeating the torture. Naturally, I am signed up again, and will be working on a similar plan to Mccaria and try and get the eating and drinking right.

Can't stick around for the Tour I'm afraid but will be back on hols in Provence not long afterwards when, if the body holds out, a crack at the Cingles du Mont Ventoux might be on the cards.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    dulldave wrote:
    I'm going to be in the area when it's on. Wouldn't mind giving it a go but not interested in paying a tour operator a few grand for the privilege.

Where did you get that price from ?
    exercise.png
  • flix23
    flix23 Posts: 72
    I've entered through an operator, but for the first time.

Does this mean I'll get a rubbish start number? :(
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    [quote="KingstonWheelerDossard / Number 1700 or so. This year they will be giving numbers out according to your past performances, so the fastest go first etc.[/quote]

Bugger. I did the 07 Etape and was massively underprepared for it - finished but only just inside the cutoff. Guess I'll be one hairsbreadth ahead of the broom wagon to start with!
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Dont know that this will make a big difference to anyone booking though the travel agencies.

The site suggests that the travel agencies have been subject to this for a couple of years and that it is the entrants from the Velo mag that will be impacted.

At least I hope so, or else I'll be with you clanton!
  • I'm doing my first etape this year and can't wait.
    Going to try and hang around for a few days afterwards and go up the Tourmalet again without 150k in my legs!
    Music and Bikes and Alligators
    http://www.richsemple.wordpress.com
  • Yes I'm a first-timer this year and really excited about it. I am also staying on to see a few days of the Tour too.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    www.customgetaways.com have a few places left as well as Cyclomundo.com
  • popette
    I'll also be starting from the back then :-) I love the anticipation of getting our numbers :-)
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Casbar wrote:
    dulldave wrote:

Where did you get that price from ?

Top of myhead it seems. Just checked the prices and contacted an operator :oops:
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • This might be a bit off topic - but hopefully this might be a good place to ask for advice!

Having loved every minute (well almost) of last year's Etape, I am entered for this year on an entry-only basis through Sports Tours International - so far so good... but disaster has struck and now I am in for knee surgery in March. Goodbye Etape 2010 :(

Does anyone have any bright ideas about how to try and shift my entry?

I have spoken to the tour operator and they have confirmed my suspicion that ASO rules dictate that they are non-transferrable/non-refundable.

That said, having lurked around a similar forum for most of last summer, I remember there was some chatter about seling entry-only places? (perhaps I am imagining this...)

Thankfully it is *only* £165 at stake, rather than the cost of a package deal - but recouping at least some of it would help soften the blow - as if the next six months off the bike isn't depressing enough.

Thanks for any suggestions.
  • SIS preview DVD in this months C+.

Not watched it all yet but apart from the vast amounts of SIS they tell you about is very good
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I am in again. Finished just outside the top 1000 last year on my first attempt, so I am going back to try and better it. Corporate ticket for me, so no worries about starting too near the back. Good luck to all!
  • flix23
    Does anyone know if the 181km distance quoted on the official Etape site http://www.letapedutour.com/2010/ETDT/presentation/us/index.htm includes the 4km downhill to La Mongie?

As I recall some of the previoulsy quoted distances were a little less than 181km so wondered if this explained the difference..
  • Snoppy
    Snoppy Posts: 37
    As far as I know it finishes on the top of the Tourmalet (that you did the etape) and La Mongie is the finish village.
  • flix23
    Yep the offical finish is the top of the Tourmalet. I suppose to more accurately phrase my orginal question, is the Etape route 181km from Pau to the top of the Tourmalet?
  • surista
    surista Posts: 141
    Wow, what is this thread doing on page *3*? Back to the top for you!

I'm in - entry only, with French Cycling Holidays. They've been great so far. First time to do this; the milage isn't really much of a concern; I've done long-ish rides, but I am concerned about the soul-crushing hills, since I've never done any reall mountain climbs before.

I plan on driving there and back. I've signed up for the navette (shuttle coach) service the day prior (although haven't had the spot confirmed yet....hmm...).

Anyone else heading over from London interested in hooking up/sharing logistics etc?

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster"
    http://blue-eyed-samurai.com/cycling/
  • popette
    We should be getting numbers in a few weeks - woooo hooooo!
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    Didn't take long for your enthusiasm to recover.
  • tawnycam
    tawnycam Posts: 8
    flix23 wrote:
    Yep the offical finish is the top of the Tourmalet. I suppose to more accurately phrase my orginal question, is the Etape route 181km from Pau to the top of the Tourmalet?

Yes from Pau to the top of the Tourmalet is 181km. I understand that they have revised the route out of Pau to the bottom of the first climb hence the slight change in distance.
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    not sure how I missed this thread before, but I'm in as a ticket only.
    May I ask a couple of questions about logistics here? as I've never done the Etape before
    From the finish line there is a shuttle to take you back to Pau, but this dosn't take bikes, how are others managing that ? do you drive there the day before, leave your car and take a shuttle back, leaving you able to drive back with your bike after the race ?
    And how does the broom wagon work ?
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    As you are ticket only then yes you have to manage the shuttle process as you described. From my understanding the shuttle service is on the day before the race. On race day you have to have your own arrangements if you need to get back to Pau.

Congratulations on getting this far and not knowing how the broomwagon works :) It will become a hot topic on this thread the closer to the Etape we get if previous years are anything to go by.

A large truck will roll along at the back of the field. If you are too slow you will have to stop and be put in the wagon along with your bike and will be taken to the end.

Just noticed some bib numbers are now appearing
    http://io.addx-tech.com/edmpublic/participantlist.aspx?epreuve=44&lang=en
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    boondog wrote:
    From the finish line there is a shuttle to take you back to Pau, but this dosn't take bikes, how are others managing that ? do you drive there the day before, leave your car and take a shuttle back, leaving you able to drive back with your bike after the race ?
    And how does the broom wagon work ?

That's what i will be doing. Driving to La Mongie the day before and getting the shuttle back. You do need a ticket for the shuttle though.

As the name suggests the broom wagon "sweeps" up those riders who don't maintain the minimum avg speed (i think), i would guess that would be around 12mph and also picks up those who have had mechanicals and cannot continue.
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    sounds like fun. My bib number didn't appear yet, but thanks for posting that link.
    I'm looking forward to it, in a very naive don't know what I've entered kind of way :shock: