Etape 2010

Comments

• Rob Somerset
    Rob Somerset Posts: 127
    woo hoo,
    just got a number 7755. Pretty pleased with that for a first timer who'll be 50 this year.
    I was getting a bit concerned that I was going to be last man to start, I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about the event now.
    Rob
    Hills do make I sweat a lot
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    6875 for me. That is a large pen - in with the 4000 numbers - get there nice and early to get a spot at the front of the pen. I can't believe we're so close now.
    I also notice that I'm in category G this year not F - this means I've got a better chance of that silver I have set my heart on :D
  • malcolmfrost
    malcolmfrost Posts: 211
    7610 for me, a bit less than 3550 last year :D
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    Medal Times are on the Mondovelo site.

Gold - Under 7 hours
    Silver 7hrs - 8hrs 30m
    Bronze 8hrs 30+

http://www.mondovelo.fr/etape/preparation-finir.htm
  • whitehart
    whitehart Posts: 8
    I'm taking on the Etape for the first time this year (age 46) and like many other posters I'm concerned by the elimination times as I'm in the last pen dossard 9725. Is it possible to arrange a group of forum members to work together for the first 50K at least? Even 4 of us would spead the load and get a head start on the broom wagon.

I'll be looking out for Wish You Were Here - I'll be wearing the Animals top with Battersea Power Station... and a worried expression!

I'll try to hitch onto any group of course but it could be worth trying to hook up at the start, or will it just be too chaotic and every rider for themselves?
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Being an Etape vetern (OK I did one, last year!) I wouldn't worry about picking up wheels from the back pens. For the first couple of hours the peloton will be sorting itself out. There will be lots of riders of all paces in the back pens moving up and there will be no difficulty in picking up wheels at whatever speed you fancy.

I had a high starting number last year (in the 2,000s this year though :D ) and had no difficulty with the broomwagon, and I'm not particularly fast. The timings on this year's route look reasonable. By my rough calculations based on the broomwagon 7.40 start, it is an average of 16.7kph, against 17.5kph last year. The one place it looks tight is on the Tourmalet where it only gives 2.10 to do it, that said, that only becomes an issue if you take nearly 9.5 hours to get to the bottom of the Tourmalet.

I know it's easy to say, but don't get hung up on the broomwagon. Once you've trained ok you will be fine. Keep up the training, enjoy the build up, its a great day, there will be enough demands on your energy without nervous tension about the broomwagon as well.
  • popette
    Road Red wrote:
    Being an Etape vetern (OK I did one, last year!) I wouldn't worry about picking up wheels from the back pens. For the first couple of hours the peloton will be sorting itself out. There will be lots of riders of all paces in the back pens moving up and there will be no difficulty in picking up wheels at whatever speed you fancy.

I had a high starting number last year (in the 2,000s this year though :D ) and had no difficulty with the broomwagon, and I'm not particularly fast. The timings on this year's route look reasonable. By my rough calculations based on the broomwagon 7.40 start, it is an average of 16.7kph, against 17.5kph last year. The one place it looks tight is on the Tourmalet where it only gives 2.10 to do it, that said, that only becomes an issue if you take nearly 9.5 hours to get to the bottom of the Tourmalet.

I know it's easy to say, but don't get hung up on the broomwagon. Once you've trained ok you will be fine. Keep up the training, enjoy the build up, its a great day, there will be enough demands on your energy without nervous tension about the broomwagon as well.

spot on
  • malcolmfrost
    +1
    put a couple of target times on your handlebars that you need to make,
    Col de Marie Blanque by 10:50 and col du Soulour by 14:50 for example and judge it from those.
    take enough bars and gels to be able to self cater, I took 6 gels and 2 bars and a sandwich wrapped in foil. This means that if you start to get tight on time all you need is fluid from the feed stations and you won't waste too much time in the bun fight. I also set a 20km lap in my Garmin and had something to eat each lap.
    Keep on moving is the key and don't get forced into too high a speed early on.
    Enjoy!
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    UncleFred wrote:

Gold - Under 7 hours
    Silver 7hrs - 8hrs 30m
    Bronze 8hrs 30+

Tough! Wonder what percentage will get gold?
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    whitehart wrote:
    I'm taking on the Etape for the first time this year (age 46) and like many other posters I'm concerned by the elimination times as I'm in the last pen dossard 9725. Is it possible to arrange a group of forum members to work together for the first 50K at least? Even 4 of us would spead the load and get a head start on the broom wagon.

I'll be looking out for Wish You Were Here - I'll be wearing the Animals top with Battersea Power Station... and a worried expression!

I'll try to hitch onto any group of course but it could be worth trying to hook up at the start, or will it just be too chaotic and every rider for themselves?

See you there! My mate has the Atom Heart Mother one - but won't be riding.
    Unless you've trained with someone trying to work together is unlikely to go smoothly - but there will certainly be wheels to follow.
    Good luck,
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    UncleFred wrote:

Gold - Under 7 hours
    Silver 7hrs - 8hrs 30m
    Bronze 8hrs 30+

Sorry where do u see that ? I cant find it .
    exercise.png
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    Click on the link, the circles on the left represent the medals, if you click on the medal,the time against "temps de parcourse" changes.
  • whitehart
    Thanks for all the advice, the posts have been very helpful. I will try to relax, latch onto some wheels where I can and ride at a sustainable pace. I'm also going to take my own musette instead of fighting my way through the crowds and miss at least one of the food stops.

Anyone going to the Rapha etape evening in London next week?
    http://www.rapha.cc/etape-evening-17th-june-2010
  • malcolmfrost
    Wish You Were Here - I'll be wearing the Animals top with Battersea Power Station.
    Great idea, I've just ordered the DSOTM one, I think I'd look a prat trying to look like Mark Cavendish :D
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    UncleFred wrote:
    Click on the link, the circles on the left represent the medals, if you click on the medal,the time against "temps de parcourse" changes.

What about the different age category requirements?

I am sure that each category has a different target time for Gold and Silver.
  • whitehart
    There are still a few places left on this service from Kingston in SW London, which is £30 cheaper than packing it down and sending it in the hold with Air France:

* Secure bike transport from Hampton Wick to Pau return
    * Your bike insured upto £2500 in the event of loss or damage
    * No need to pack your bike into bike bag/box
    * Price: £110

http://lafuga.cc/tours/_tape_bike_shuttle
  • Sudor
    Sudor Posts: 33
    Shall be arriving Pau 11th July for a few days recce before taper for the Etap - perhaps chance of a recce gruppetto?
  • Casbar
    UncleFred wrote:

Thx...but I cannot see any age cat differeces...do different age groups not have different time brakets for medals?
    exercise.png
  • popette
    Casbar wrote:
    UncleFred wrote:

Thx...but I cannot see any age cat differeces...do different age groups not have different time brakets for medals?
    they have in previous years yes - I expect that they will again this year too.
    Last year, they displayed all the medal times in the start village.
  • popette wrote:
    Come on then, it's 2010 - who's in for the big one?
    Er....I am!
  • Les shaw
    Les shaw Posts: 10
    UncleFred wrote:

Gold - Under 7 hours
    Silver 7hrs - 8hrs 30m
    Bronze 8hrs 30+

I wouldn't like to burst any bubbles here with regard to your ambitions for sporting excellence. BUT, unless they've changed the system from last year, the standards were awarded for you "Scratch Time" as opposed to "Real Time". For example, I rode last year in 07hrs:08mins real time [07hrs:36mins scratch] and was awarded Bronze!

Bon Chance!
  • Casbar
    popette wrote:
    Come on then, it's 2010 - who's in for the big one?
    Er....I am!

Which one is the BIG One Popette ?

Its getting more and more of a cirucs every year...Now up to 1000 riders..3000 more than in 2007. The entry fee is shot up to 180 Euros . Most of us have very high numbers this year ...who got all the lower ones . Whats with these new pens of 3000 plus.riders...u have to be there at 6 am now even if you had a lower number

Hotels in the area all fully booked before the route was even announced

I used to love the Etape and doing a stage of the TDF on closed roads etc...but it is all getting out of hand I think

I keep hearing more and more of smaller events being organised all over Europe which begin to sound much more tempting and a lot cheaper

This year might be my last
    exercise.png
  • Don't do the etape every year. Go do it once or twice and then move onto something different. Don't get me wrong. The thrill of the event is a real buzz, but all the stressing before hand (and I don't believe anyone who says they didn't stress before their first one) can overcome the enjoyment. I've done the last two and won't insult anyone by saying don't worry. My advice would be to concentrate on correct nutrition and not the broomwagon. Good Luck to you all I look forward to reading all your posts once you're done.
  • Casbar
    richcarter wrote:
    Don't do the etape every year. Go do it once or twice and then move onto something different. Don't get me wrong. The thrill of the event is a real buzz, but all the stressing before hand (and I don't believe anyone who says they didn't stress before their first one) can overcome the enjoyment. I've done the last two and won't insult anyone by saying don't worry. My advice would be to concentrate on correct nutrition and not the broomwagon. Good Luck to you all I look forward to reading all your posts once you're done.
    !

Good points
    exercise.png
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    I'm in the etape, but no number yet - assuming 9000+

I am following the tour in a camper with my wife and new daughter. We plan to park up on the tourmalet on the friday evening and stay for the week.

Somehow I need to get from Tourmalet to Pau either late Saturday or early early early sunday morning.

The alternative is that we stay in Pau on the Saturday and my wife drives up to Tourmalet in the van ahead of the race or after the race. Does anyone know when they shut the road for the day? My concern about this is that it is likely we wont get up the hill even for the Tdf on the Tuesday.

Any advice on transport would be gratefully received. Plus goodies from our home on wheels and support from our 11 week old as you ride past.
  • Casbar
    ASO will provide a shuttle service all day Saturday to Pau.....Its 12 Euros and at the moment they say they will pick up from La Mongie....They said the same last year and then back tracked

However if your wife wants to try and drive up the T on Sunday..i cannot see her having too much problem as long as she drives up the other way from the St Marie d Campan side .

Hope that helps
    exercise.png
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    From experience of Ventoux last year my family could get nowhere near it on the day of the Etape by approaching from the opposite side. There are 10000 other cars with the same idea.

They ended up being parked outside the village at the foot of the mountain.

I suspect it will be down to timing if your wife leaves Pau very early.
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    I've booked the shuttle back to Pau on Saturday, so will go and park up then get back to Pau on the bus. On Race day I can get to the finish (hopefully :) ) but am wondering how my wife can get up there ? will there be any bus service etc to get people to the finish line to meet us ? guess she has the entire day to get up the tourmalet, I;m hoping she's going to drive me home afterwards.
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    boondog wrote:
    I've booked the shuttle back to Pau on Saturday, so will go and park up then get back to Pau on the bus. On Race day I can get to the finish (hopefully :) ) but am wondering how my wife can get up there ? will there be any bus service etc to get people to the finish line to meet us ? guess she has the entire day to get up the tourmalet, I;m hoping she's going to drive me home afterwards.

Have you checked where you are getting the bus back from on Saturday? It could be Bagneres de bignorre which is nowhere near the tourmalet
  • Casbar
    alp777 wrote:
    boondog wrote:

Have you checked where you are getting the bus back from on Saturday? It could be Bagneres de bignorre which is nowhere near the tourmalet

In my experienve this might be a blessing..last year there was mayhem at the finish village with massive traffic jams leaving the place...Bagneres de Bigore might not look close..but from the finish its virtually all downhill. to there....and much closer to the Motorway
    exercise.png