Training for La Marmotte

2»

Comments

• SJO76
    SJO76 Posts: 86
    That hilly loop round Crystal palace sounds interesting for a quick blast.

I have done Hogtrough and Church Hill many times. When I first got into cycling Church Hill was like my Kryptonite but once I overcame the 'oh crap its a 25% hill' its not so bad. The bends and the camber do make it tricky... Hmm I have never done Brasted Hill. Must try it sometime.

Star Hill is reasonably tough and worth a look.

I want to get back on turbo damn cold/infection. And even more so on the road damn snow.
  • SJO76
    SJO76 Posts: 86
    BTW I am going to try some TT sessions. They will be handy for my Tri in April too.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Ketsbaia, what's the 18 per center near Forest Hill?

Canonbie Road. It's only about 400 yards or so and isn't all 18%, but it tips that right at the end. Then you have a very steep descent of around 70-odd yards, so make sure your brakes are working.

Head up Forest Hill from Peckham Rye and it's the first turning on the right after Wood Vale. It has the added challenge of speed ramps too.
  • Thanks for the tips folks.

So what is more beneficial: 75 minutes at clmibing heart rate (sounds good cos it's specific to the task at hand) or 2 x 20 mins threshold intervals (sounds good cos it boost lactate threshold)?

How about doing one of these each week? Alternating perhaps?

here,
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12572223

All I did, was go on 3-5hr rides over many of the Dragon ride hills and then did the full Dragon as a first sortif as a warm up. no problems. Make sure you hit Alpe d' Huez before 1800.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I agree with the sentiment that searching for hills, especially steep ones, is a waste of time. i'm sure you could train as well if not better in Norfolk than Yorkshire. You need some long (1 hour) uninterupted stints at your climbing effort, so steep up and down hills break your rhythm.
  • ketsbaia wrote:

Canonbie Road. It's only about 400 yards or so and isn't all 18%, but it tips that right at the end. Then you have a very steep descent of around 70-odd yards, so make sure your brakes are working.

Head up Forest Hill from Peckham Rye and it's the first turning on the right after Wood Vale. It has the added challenge of speed ramps too.

Cheers - found it on the map. Might add it to the start of my Crystal Palace loop as it could lead quite nicely into Sydenham Hill.

Seems like there are some good options down near Knockholt and Cudham too - will give em a go.

Appreciate that this is getting a little off topic, but doesn't matter. Plan on doing plenty of L4 work in the next few months and am signed up for the Dragon Ride which might help a bit. Also getting an 11-28 cassette for La Marmotte so should be ok.
  • inseine
    Also getting an 11-28 cassette for La Marmotte so should be ok.

Depends what you mean by 'alright'! You're still gunna be half dead by the end!
  • inseine wrote:
    Also getting an 11-28 cassette for La Marmotte so should be ok.

Depends what you mean by 'alright'! You're still gunna be half dead by the end!

Kind of reconciled myself with that :wink:
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Might add it to the start of my Crystal Palace loop as it could lead quite nicely into Sydenham Hill.

Yep. Just turn right at the bottom of Cannonbie Road into Honor Oak Road, follow it down to the A205 then you can do a left into Sydenham Hill rather than a right, which is much less hassle.
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    You can get fit enough for an event like the Marmotte by focusing on improving your one-hour power and doing a lot of shorter more intensive rides like hill-climb intervals.

But for me, the main advantage of doing the longer 100mile type training rides is that you learn where your body's boundaries lie. Until you've bonked at 90miles, or drunk too much/too little etc, you'll never know how to read the signs on the day, not how hard you can push yourself without getting into too much trouble. Especilally when there's ADH right at the end of the ride, where if you've overcooked it on the 3 climbs before there you're in for a very nasty ascent. I remember when I was first experimenting, doing a rolling 100mile route, and then deciding to do a 2mile climb up Leith Hill right at the end. Having thought I still had OK legs, it was a real shock to feel how hard it was to start climbing again, That's the sort of preparation and knowledge you're not going to get however hard you push yourself doing 25mile TT's.
  • Agree with the posters above - having ridden the marmotte two years ago - it's basically four monster climbs with a lot of resting between!

The ability to grind out a low gear for an hour at a time is a good skill to have!

Others have already commented on the fitness aspects, but in terms of 'other' training, I'd say that very long rides DO have a place in your training because - to be frank - you're going to be in the saddle for a VERY long time and you'll want your body to be prepared. It's very easy to think you're going to fly round in 8 hours, but very few people do this and 10 - 12 hours is still a pretty decent time for the 'average' club cyclist.

That's a lot of ballache and soreness if you're not used to it!

That said, don't stress too much. I did it without too much of a training plan and my longest ride before that was 86 miles. Just be prepared to grind it out - it's a mental challenge as much as a physical one!
  • How's everyone's training going?

I'm still lacking the miles (generally four rides a week, 130 miles in total!) but getting some good high level three stuff going in Richmond Park. Can't seem to kick the habit of short hill intervals in Crystal Palace which probably won't help much for La Marmotte, but seems to be boosting strength and VO2 max.

Did College Road three times and Anerley Hill three times tonight as part of a 25 miler and felt strong despite a long ride on Saturday and running 9 miles yesterday.

What are people doing as build up for La Marmotte? I'm doing the Dragon Ride but could maybe do with another sportive in May. Any suggestions?
  • inseine
    No idea if I've got a good plan but I've been trying to follow the Pete Read Black Book and deliberately keeping a lid on the intensity. Usually I start racing in March but this year I'm holding back. I'm not keeping up with the fastest guys on the climbs but i feel like my endurance is pretty good so I don't feel tired after the climbs even if i'm not at the front.
    Post Christmas illness has knocked my hours but I try to do 7-8 hours a week with 2 to 3 of that on the turbo.
    First sportive is in April and a hilly one in June probably. Both in France.
  • Sounds like it's going pretty well.

Nice to be able to prep in France too. I might be out there in late May/early June, but am struggling to find the time away from work to fit it all in.

If I go, it'll be to Chamonix - anyone know which TdF climbs are around there?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    What are people doing as build up for La Marmotte? I'm doing the Dragon Ride but could maybe do with another sportive in May. Any suggestions?
    Hampshire Hilly 100 (9May) and Highclere / Magnificat (13Jun) are well worth a look.
    Rich
  • Well behind with training. Only doing 4 x 40-50 min turbo sessions a week plus a weekend ride every other week due to the weather. But still plenty of time yet (I hope), and my stats don't look too bad.

I've got the White Horse, Dragon and Vatternrunden lined up as events. I'm hoping to take a week off in Spain in early May for an intense workout. And going to South Wales to do Bwlch repeats once a month until then.