Your cycling weight...? (help and advice required)....

Comments

• Not trolling, i do love my cycing (did another 38 today) and its my knees/back/hands and ar**se that hold me back.
    As for the liver I do know its bad for me but guess I must be semi alcoholic
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    My weight has dropped since I moved down south, probably from change of job, slightly different diet and meal times, not sure how much of it is due to different scales, I used to hover around 11 stone 4 but now I am 10 stone 9.

I think some of it is due to loss in muscle as I have basically had months off the bike from moving and several bouts of my asthma being chronic enough to end up in hospital once.

But now I am back on the bike and not had the road bike for long I don't want to drop anymore weight as such just get back some of the muscle I had and get rid of some body fat, coming from mountain biking where the majority of the riding I did involved a lot of climbing I know from experience it takes miles on the bike to improve on hills on and off road.

I would do a 14 mile round trip on towpaths to work and back in Birmingham and it didn't really push me that much then I added in a extra 25 mile loop first once a week then twice a week and after a few weeks of that I was up in scotland at Glentress and the climbs felt so much easier, I was going past people on kit that was worth twice what I have and I breezed past them, I just wish I had that fitness now again.

I am now on a cut most junk out diet, not less in total just less junk.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    bisoner wrote:
    Interesting thread full of testomonies and advice.

Ihe shame of my sister in law blowing me

:shock:
  • carrock
    Paul E wrote:
    My weight has dropped since I moved down south, probably from change of job, slightly different diet and meal times, not sure how much of it is due to different scales, I used to hover around 11 stone 4 but now I am 10 stone 9.

I think some of it is due to loss in muscle as I have basically had months off the bike from moving and several bouts of my asthma being chronic enough to end up in hospital once.

But now I am back on the bike and not had the road bike for long I don't want to drop anymore weight as such just get back some of the muscle I had and get rid of some body fat, coming from mountain biking where the majority of the riding I did involved a lot of climbing I know from experience it takes miles on the bike to improve on hills on and off road.

I would do a 14 mile round trip on towpaths to work and back in Birmingham and it didn't really push me that much then I added in a extra 25 mile loop first once a week then twice a week and after a few weeks of that I was up in scotland at Glentress and the climbs felt so much easier, I was going past people on kit that was worth twice what I have and I breezed past them, I just wish I had that fitness now again.

I am now on a cut most junk out diet, not less in total just less junk.

The Southern diet!!! instead of the typical Northern diet of lard, pies and turkey twizzlers, we can go to Waitrose and buy organic rocket, quails eggs and artisan baked multigrain breads :D
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    carrock wrote:
    The Southern diet!!! instead of the typical Northern diet of lard, pies and turkey twizzlers, we can go to Waitrose and buy organic rocket, quails eggs and artisan baked multigrain breads :D

Oh I have that everyday :D

It's mostly down to not really cooking for myself now which is good cause I am a cr@p cook
  • Not trolling, i do love my cycing (did another 38 today) and its my knees/back/hands and ar**se that hold me back.
    As for the liver I do know its bad for me but guess I must be semi alcoholic

I consider myself a semi alky as I really feel I need a drink on a Friday night and get irritable if I can't. However, at most I get through 3 bottles a week, on average perhaps 2, maybe less in the last month. One a day I would say is alcoholic territory, and no amount of exercise will prevent organ damage due to it.

On a different note, today I got a pair of Tamita body scan scales. My readings don't look so great:

Body mass - 97.5Kg
    Height - 186 cm (6ft 1)
    body fat - 21.5% (this might be slightly overstated s I am probably between sedentary ad athlete)
    Muscle mass - 73Kg
    BMR 2249 Kcal, equivalent age = 38 (I'm actually 44)
    Bone mass 3.8Kg

I have set up my training diary to record some of this data on a dialy basis and will track it weekly average. My target is under 90kgs by July - I want to take a minute off my 10 time and 2 off my 25 times.
  • friso
    friso Posts: 107
    Great thread

I was looking for the exact topic and came across this

Im also another 5ft 9in fella, Christmas 2008 i was a 20 a day 15 stone 3lb 37 year old ex schoolboy and junior club racer

Packed up the fags and bought a cheap bike, now April 2010 non-smoker 12stone 10lb regular club rider with a better bike

However i cannot climb for toffee, strong on the flatish roads but get left on hills

Im putting this down to my weight as every guide for my height says i should be 11 stone and when riding with my skinny club mates i can keep up with them all day until the climbs comes then i drop like a stone

I eat sensibly and dont eat fast-food but cant get the extra weight off

Due to family and work commitments i can only ride two times a week totaling about 110 miles a week, usually quite fast

I have tried stupidly eating as little as posible but the lack of food leaves me with low energy and leg cramps while riding

I recently completed the lakeland loop with a resonable time and also doing the dragon ride so need to lose weight now

Any ideas on how to lose the weight
  • in my twenties, I competed in athletics namely sprinting and power lifting in this time I followed a high protein, moderate fat (good fats) and low carbohydrate diet. I switched over to endurance sports about 12 years ago. Following many endurance coaches advise, I followed the mantra of the more carbohydrate the better. I fueled my triathlon endurance training with sports bars, energy drinks, vast amounts of cereals and pasta. I went from a muscular lean 13st to a skinny fat 11st. In the last year, I reverted back my original athletic diet whilst training around 7 hours a week for cycle road racing. Over the winter, my weight dropped to around 10 2lbs and I began to retain a degree of muscle tone in my upper body as my body fat levels dropped. My performance on the bike increased significantly and I set PB's at the age of of 42 from 10mTT to 100 mile sportive s.

Most endurance athletes I know have terrible diets, (as I did for may years) consisting mainly of bad fats, low GI carbs and sugar. I observe the recovery foods that riders eat in my club after the evening 10MTT. Cakes, chocolate bars and sugar laden energy drinks are common. Is this type of refueling necessary after riding 10 miles?

In addition to changing my diet, I also ditched the long 4 to 7 hour long slow endurance rides. I found that despite eating huge amounts during the rides, the ride did nothing but stimulate my hunger; every Sunday afternoon and evening after these rides, I would eat anything in sight, I am sure I eat far more than I ever used up on the ride. I now ride 2 hour tempo rides with 500ml of apple juice and 750ml of water with no rampant appetite afterwards. Once a week 2 hour tempos rides were enough to get me PB's last year in 100 mile sportive s.

I my experience, the following worked best for losing weight.

1. Significantly reduce the volume of carbohydrate in your diet. Especially low Gi and sugary laden foods. White breads, breakfast cereals, energy drinks and bars. Build your diet around lean meats, eggs, oliy fish and lots of veg with a small amount f low GI carbs like sweet potato.

2. Reduce the volume of training and up the intensity. Tabata intervals and short hard hill climbs will lose you more body fat than long slow 5 -6 hour rides.
  • friso
    friso Posts: 107
    Hi,

Thats good advise

Been out today and did a 70 mile quickish ride averaging about 19mph in a group of four

Fine on the flat or slight rises but as soon as it gets lumpy i just fall off the back then i am reduced to TT'ing to get back on

It seems to be getting worse although the training is the same or if anything better

The other guys are older then me (38) but are like bean poles and carry very little fat

I just cant seem to loose the extra weight i need to although the diet is sensible

I need to look at the amount of carbs im taking in but this might be to the detriment of energy i need for training
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    Last week I made an attempt to cut out all the sugary stuff and fat where I could, I'm slim but 82kg at 5'8 (I think I have fairly heavy thighs!). Anyway, I weighed myself this morning (Monday), after a 60 solo mile ride at 17mph av this Saturday: 77 kilos. Bizarre! My top half seems to be much leaner too; see if I can carry it on till next week.

I basically ate tuna with tomatoes and cucumber with a slice of dry brown toast for dinner (every day); salmon with veg for tea, pasta one evening, chicken breast with rice on Saturday night after beans on toast for recovery in the day (and a recovery drink)
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Good to see this topic staying alive and more people discussing it.

My weight is coming down more, I have decided to cancel my next appointment with my diet guru til the end of May as I am hitting so good miles and want to train for another month.

I have moved from fixed to free weights, I do approx. 500 reps three mornings a week, following certain excercises in the Chris Carmicheal/ Lance A training manual. Its an odd site at the gym as I am lifting small weights, with big lads pumping serious iron. As I say, I am there to get small not big.

Personally, it is coming on nicely, I did just over 200 miles in 6 days last week with a strong 65 miles on Friday just passed. Interestingly, I got to my eat point on a training run 9 minutes ahead of my usual time, which could be a factor of weight loss, bike and feeling good. I suspect its all three, but its all related to the effort involved. The only downside to the last few weeks is that my usual training hill has been closed for some time so I my hill work has been neglected aside from the longer stuff. 2010 is they year of just getting through it, 2011 will be goal specific with rides/sportives pencilled in I think.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    You wont get big doing heavy weights - 4-6 reps at most increases fibre recruitment and does not simulate growth much at all.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    You wont get big doing heavy weights - 4-6 reps at most increases fibre recruitment and does not simulate growth much at all.
    That's interesting. I don't do weights as such but I try to do a few pull-ups and curls most days - usually just 10 of each, takes 5mins but seems to help with posture, preventing lower back pain etc. I'm also getting to the age (mid 40s) where I know that muscle strength is supposed to start decreasing (although I haven't been aware of this yet) and have heard that strength exercises can slow this to some extent as you gt older. But I've heard that the problem with aging is that you "lose" fibres. Will doing just a little bit of strength training help to prevent this, or is it necessary to do a lot more to stimulate growth of the remaining fibres to compensate for the losses?
  • ut_och_cykla
    My understanding is that anything you do will help - and clearly more is better up to a point. Not sure you can 'grow' more fibres at your point in life but you can certainly maintain what you have and make extremely good use of them. Although weight training wont help much with endurance on a bike it will help with posture, comfort etc and as part of a 'keep fit ' programme (rather than a 'be a fast cyclist programme) its definitley worth doing in my opinion
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm 4 days into my nutrition program...

Start weight was 90.5kg, a high proportion of which is body fat (in sept I was over 26% but I have lost a little since then...)

Will see how I get on.
  • bristolpete

Sure. I realise that. Just saying that in a room full of big boys, lifting 8kg is quite funny and I am sure they are watching me !! ha ha ha.
  • ut_och_cykla

Sure. I realise that. Just saying that in a room full of big boys, lifting 8kg is quite funny and I am sure they are watching me !! ha ha ha.

Not sure you understand what I said (and my humblest apologies if you do :-)) - you wont get big doing very light weights - but to be honest you'd be better off cycling or doing a body pump session or something similar.

ALSO you wont get big lifting very heavy weights either!!
    max 6 reps has mostly a neurological effect - you 'teach' your muscles to use more of thier fibres rather than grow larger (and thereby further away from blood supply & nutrients) . 8-12 reps is best for building bulk/size - which is what you dont want!
  • bristolpete
    edited April 2010

Not sure you understand what I said (and my humblest apologies if you do :-)) - you wont get big doing very light weights - but to be honest you'd be better off cycling or doing a body pump session or something similar.

ALSO you wont get big lifting very heavy weights either!!
    max 6 reps has mostly a neurological effect - you 'teach' your muscles to use more of thier fibres rather than grow larger (and thereby further away from blood supply & nutrients) . 8-12 reps is best for building bulk/size - which is what you dont want!

No, you obviously dont. I am targeting my whole body with specific training. I let my miles on the bike look after what it needs to (refer to 210 miles last week post) and I do certain regimes at the gym on the upper body. As I have said several times I do very little weight but enough to matter. I do a set routine. I then do about 30 minutes of stretching. Overall it has helped a lot. Simple as that.

Regards weight training, I am fully aware of what is needed to get big considering I played Rugby for several years and was paid to do so.

However your input is appreciated....
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    In my ignorance, I'm amazed how much upper body muscle I've put on. My pecs are in better shape from cycling than from doing Pump classes. There's a lot of climbing on my commute - in 1000 miles from Feb I've climbed 75,000ft - I'm 6ft, 32" waist and 93kg and climbing is still my Achilles heal when compared to my 70kg occasional cycling partner.

Like some others, I've reached a plateau in weight/fat loss though. I conscious I'm eating crap at times mentally justifying it by the calories I'm burning on the 30 mile round trip commute. My rate of speed improvement has reached a plateau too (I guess that this is inevitable at some point).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bristolpete
    In my ignorance, I'm amazed how much upper body muscle I've put on. My pecs are in better shape from cycling than from doing Pump classes. There's a lot of climbing on my commute - in 1000 miles from Feb I've climbed 75,000ft - I'm 6ft, 32" waist and 93kg and climbing is still my Achilles heal when compared to my 70kg occasional cycling partner.

Like some others, I've reached a plateau in weight/fat loss though. I conscious I'm eating crap at times mentally justifying it by the calories I'm burning on the 30 mile round trip commute. My rate of speed improvement has reached a plateau too (I guess that this is inevitable at some point).

For sure, the pushing and pulling helps. Of course off road MTB is an all over body work out !

I feel the same, my mate is 5'8" and 9 stone and goes up hills like they dont exist. Funny though as I am killing him on the flat and over distance now though.
  • bristolpete
    Update.

Weighed in with my Dietician/coach this morning.

Good news, now at 89/90kg, which is a loss again. A very good return considering I started his regime on Feb 10th. I was over 100 kg when I started. Big difference and fine tuning the diet all the time as the BMR changes so we can calculate my calorie deficit. The margins are there as last week I bought my first race cut top and it fits where as before, I could never or would never have worn it. The key is looking at in lb too, thats 28lb off where as kg sounds slightly less due to the numbering.

Naturally, I would like to have shifted more, but the best part of two stone in just over three calendar months is steady going. The short term target off 16 stone + down to 14 is done, now looking at 13 and am introducing some new training methods to expedite the loss. I have been having a little bit off post op stomach pain in the last few days - a bit like gall stones, but getting better and a week off the bike awaiting the new build is doing me good I suspect.

The funny thing, when I am on it, my cheeks go and I look thin. One of my local riding friends asked if I was making myself sick due to the hollow look. Dead Elvis anyone ?

4589604108_23722dd69c.jpg
  • carrock
    sagalout wrote:
    I'm 6ft and 12st 2, down from 16.5 stones this time last year. I found early morning training, before breakfast, was effective at burning the fat off. Well, that and not snacking on crap through the day!

Personally I found that my base metabolism is a bit off what the recommendations are. 1800 cals a day is maintenance for me, despite the weight training I did 10 years ago which gave me a reasonable amount of muscle. 1500 a day and an hours training see's me losing about 1.5 pounds a week, but I sit at a PC all day and my only other exercise is a mile ride/walk to work and back.

The mrs says I'm too skinny now, but I can see in the mirror that theres still a belly to lose! I'm doing a sports test in the new year so will get a proper caliper body fat test (crappy electronic impedance scales say 14%) and see what they suggest. Gut instinct tells me I should lose about another 8lbs.

I guess it depends on your aims and motivations are. I always need a goal for motivation, and feel slightly in limbo whilst I wait to get a proper training plan in place after this test.

Losing over 60 lbs in a year is fantastic. Do you find your hill climbing is totally transformed?
  • neeb
    The funny thing, when I am on it, my cheeks go and I look thin. One of my local riding friends asked if I was making myself sick due to the hollow look. Dead Elvis anyone ?
    You're not doing yourself any favours with the lighting & colour balance in that shot, I think even Tinky Winky the teletubbie would look like the Grand Moff Tarkin with that setup.. Try diffuse natural daylight with a gentle fill-in flash, does wonders.. :D
  • bristolpete
    Resurrecting this post as feeling very depressed again. I have somehow ebbed back up to the 15 stone point but paradoxically, I feel fitter, slimmer and 'tighter' than ever. Team SKY bibs that I bought last summer are simply way too big now so I know I have lost weight but my brain is allowing the data on the scales to overpower my mind set. Perhaps I am taking it all to seriously? Equally, just a bit gutted and I really cannot fathom it as I am on 1800 calories a day and eating superbly.

One thing is that I do go to the gym and it seems I can attain mass quickly which is more than likely making me heavier than I feel ?

How are you all doing out there?

Pete.
  • neeb
    Nearly everyone puts on a little weight in the winter. You'll start to lose it again in the spring without any trouble assuming you keep up the routine.

It's not just the amount of exercise you are doing, lower light levels and seasonal hormonal variations have a big effect.

Also the fact you are going to the gym and "feel" fitter/slimmer suggests you could have put on muscle, which is denser than fat and easily ups the weight.
  • darren H
    darren H Posts: 122
    One problem that a lot of bikies have is overeaating after rides. Anyone know that feeling ?
    You finish your ride and proceed to empty the fridge of all its contents.
    It doesnt actually take much to quickly put back what you have burnt off.

Im 5ft 6" and up until last year weighed 11stone

I always ridden lots of miles and for over ten years Ive ran 40 miles a week, yet no weight loss.
    Ive dropped down to 61kilos since Ive been cycling more but mainly because I have been very careful after my long rides.
    Ive also cut out most of the bread I use to have and swapped pasta for rice.
    Its taken a year to lose that stone but its been worth it.

Its hard but you have to simply be disciplined. I was talking to a very well known cyclocross rider who fell races one night a year or so and he told me I was a stone heavy. I was shocked but he was right.

I could never envisage riding 90 miles last Friday then 50 miles on Saturday then a 10 mile run on Sunday over the fells on half the food I was eating a year ago.

Your body gets use to it
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    darren H wrote:
    One problem that a lot of bikies have is overeaating after rides. Anyone know that feeling ?

yup! i know very well that hallow feeling that rolls into incessant hunger for several hours.

the only way I can avoid it is to make sure I eat sensibly on longer rides (aim to get something down me every hour) and then to have a good drink as soon as i get in. either:

- a pint of chocolate milk
    - a pint of OJ
    - a pint of smoothy (ics, frozen fruit & oj whizzed in the blender)

then go shower etc and get a heathly meal in within 1 hour (chicken, rice & veg or similar).

if i break the above routine i eat anything in the house!
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    edited February 2011
    At 47 I'm lighter than I was at 18, only just though.

I started cycling 15 years ago and I was pushing 12 st, over 100,000 miles later I'm two stone lighter (yes a lot of effort for 28lbs : )

I'm 5'11" and hovering around 10 st. 8% body fat (along with a v02 max of over 70 and a power to weight ratio of 5.5).
  • neeb
    I do find this a difficult one to judge.

On the one hand you do need to refuel properly after a long or energetic ride or else you are going to get muscle soreness and lose power. In that situation it certainly feels as if your body is telling you what you need.

On the other hand, if you pig out too much it is going to add fat.

I tend to think that it's not the "overeating" after long rides that is the problem, rather the unnecessary eating at other times when you haven't been doing anything and are just eating out of habit.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    I've always just eaten what I want, when I want (mostly good, home-cooked, fresh food though) - probably why it's taken 15 years to lose 2 stone!