Your cycling weight...? (help and advice required)....

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I am up to 85 kg now so need to get a mionth og long rides in to get to traiing/racing weight :D Hope to loose about 7kg minimum.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    . I can cycle 60 miles in around three hours Pete.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you sure??
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    bristolpete wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Are you sure??
    Perfectly doable for a fit rider on quiet roads with no interruptions such as traffic lights etc, although if you're on your own on a normal road bike the difference between 19mph and 20mph over these distances is quite a lot...
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    carrock wrote:

Are you sure??

Yes, of course. Would not have said it otherwise. Whats the issue?

On a more positive note, my regime continues apace and I hit 14 stone 3 last week, which is nice.
  • carrock
    carrock wrote:

Are you sure??

On a more positive note, my regime continues apace and I hit 14 stone 3 last week, which is nice.

average 20mph over 3 hours just seemed very very quick for someone pushing 16 stones, although having reread your earlier post you overestimated your weight by a stone.......

I'm 16 stone, and could no more do 60 miles in 3 hours than I could fly to the moon.

I think bodyweight is a very big factor in achieving goals, and if I can stay off the beer and crisps long enough will see if getting down to 13/14 stone makes as big a difference as I think it will
  • I'm 6ft 1 15st ish, racing wieght in 1992 13st 11. Hit 14st 3 last year after divorce etc, back to 15 again.
    I did my first ever 100 mile TT in 2008 weighing 15.5 st in 4hr 37 minutes. That is quicker than 20 mph average, so it's far from impossible - I'm generally in the bottom 3rd time wise for TT ing so hardly 'quick'
  • bristolpete
    carrock wrote:
    carrock wrote:

Are you sure??

average 20mph over 3 hours just seemed very very quick for someone pushing 16 stones, although having reread your earlier post you overestimated your weight by a stone.......

I'm 16 stone, and could no more do 60 miles in 3 hours than I could fly to the moon.

I think bodyweight is a very big factor in achieving goals, and if I can stay off the beer and crisps long enough will see if getting down to 13/14 stone makes as big a difference as I think it will

Fair point, but I think its down to having bigger thighs, I just keep pushing it.
  • carrock
    Bloody hell I need to get a lot fitter then- I was putting my slow pace down to excess bulk but if I should be averaging 20mph even at 16 stone then I need to improve a lot....
  • bristolpete
    carrock wrote:
    Bloody hell I need to get a lot fitter then- I was putting my slow pace down to excess bulk but if I should be averaging 20mph even at 16 stone then I need to improve a lot....

Not sure if you are taking the piss or serious to be honest....
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Just so that people don't get depressed about their speeds - if you are really averaging 20mph overall (not, say, 18 ) over a 60 mile round trip (not one way only), on normal training runs on your own, on a normal road bike, at 15 stone, and your computer is calibrated properly, then that is very, very good going....
  • carrock
    carrock wrote:

Not sure if you are taking the wee-wee or serious to be honest....

No deadly serious- I'd put my slow pace down to my surplus 4 stone, so got a big shock when I read that people of a similar weight were doing 20mph averages, I assumed everybody my weight averaged about 15mph or whatever

Made me realise that I'm both overweight and unfit!!

Nevermind- just need to work at it.
  • bristolpete
    carrock wrote:
    carrock wrote:

Not sure if you are taking the wee-wee or serious to be honest....

No deadly serious- I'd put my slow pace down to my surplus 4 stone, so got a big shock when I read that people of a similar weight were doing 20mph averages, I assumed everybody my weight averaged about 15mph or whatever

Made me realise that I'm both overweight and unfit!!

Nevermind- just need to work at it.

cool. No worries. I just like hitting that distance hard and fast - the classic 100km ride for me. Somedays I don't ride that well, others days I do.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    You cannot compare (as people are doing here) club runs, commutes, training rides and TTs. A good solo ride over mixed terrain at 18mph over 60 miles could easily mean you're fit enough to do a 100mile TT at 20mph. Apples and pears.
  • neeb wrote:
    Just so that people don't get depressed about their speeds - if you are really averaging 20mph overall (not, say, 18 ) over a 60 mile round trip (not one way only), on normal training runs on your own, on a normal road bike, at 15 stone, and your computer is calibrated properly, then that is very, very good going....

Indeed - huge difference between a training ride, even at tempo+ and a TT. Point was that its far from impossible to mainatin an average of 20+ mph over a long distance. I regularly achieved at the time ca.18mph averages over that kind of distance when on my road bike riding solo, which translated into a 21.6 mph average for the 100 Mile TT (on a road bike with clip ons)
  • bristolpete
    Cool - just so everyone is aware my post was a general, I like to ride 60 miles in 3 hours. It was not an I am the man type post. Never have been, never will be ! I am happy to report that I am now just over 14 stone which is great. I feel and look so much better for it.

Keep going one and all.
  • carrock
    Cool - just so everyone is aware my post was a general, I like to ride 60 miles in 3 hours. It was not an I am the man type post. Never have been, never will be ! I am happy to report that I am now just over 14 stone which is great. I feel and look so much better for it.

Keep going one and all.

Do you find that being lighter makes you quicker on all types of terrain on the bike, or just up hills??

I had the shame of my wife blasting up crawleyside bank fully laden on the coast to coast whilst I had to get off and push halfway......

Think I need to move to Holland.....
  • carrock wrote:

Keep going one and all.

Do you find that being lighter makes you quicker on all types of terrain on the bike, or just up hills??

I had the shame of my wife blasting up crawleyside bank fully laden on the coast to coast whilst I had to get off and push halfway......

Most roads are rolling rather then perfectly flat. Being quicker on hills is a much bigger deal then most people credit it for in terms of your average time. People tend to think of hills in terms of the distance involved. If they were counted instead as the amount of time spent on them, they suddenly become a lot more prominent and big time savings can come from small speed changes on hills.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • bristolpete
    carrock wrote:

Keep going one and all.

No that faster going up, just stay more consistent and get up them in an eaier fashion. Before, it felt like gravity was pulling me back. I still feel there is a long way to go and I accept that climbing is not my strong point on a bike. Pushing at 18-23 mph on the flat however is and I can sustain that nicely.

The usual thing applies. My dietician states I have lost around 21lb in fat but added muscle.

If you stick that lot (21lb) in a rucksack and carry out on a ride is quite depressing/shocking.
  • xloly
    xloly Posts: 140
    Great thread.

I'm 100kg and 5'9" so very similar, got in to road riding last year and dropped about a stone but it's all gone back on. My problem is diet - I'm on the Weight Watchers online thingy but don't pay enough attention (and like a beer or 2) so have remained the same weight for 4 weeks. I'm hoping the cycling will help me reduce this to 13.5 stone at which point I'll have to buy new clothes - the odd thing is, I'm already changing shape - my trousers don't stay up so easy..

Keep up the good work guy's!
  • bristolpete
    xloly wrote:
    Great thread.

I'm 100kg and 5'9" so very similar, got in to road riding last year and dropped about a stone but it's all gone back on. My problem is diet - I'm on the Weight Watchers online thingy but don't pay enough attention (and like a beer or 2) so have remained the same weight for 4 weeks. I'm hoping the cycling will help me reduce this to 13.5 stone at which point I'll have to buy new clothes - the odd thing is, I'm already changing shape - my trousers don't stay up so easy..

Keep up the good work guy's!

cool. I will post some stuff about my diet and the changes made over the coming days, worth looking out for as for me, someone who had had a terrible relationship with food it's been very interesting....
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    Interesting thread full of testomonies and advice.

I started riding last year and had the shame of my sister in law blowing me away on the last hill of a 35 mile ride. My brother certainly rubbed it in.

During the winter I invested in a trainer, got hold of some training video's and slowly but surely the weight has come off and the fitness has improved. My diet is still a major issue (I like food) but I have gone from around 85 kilos (6ft tall) to touching 75 kilos in the past week. One of the main things I have constantly suffered from is fatigue after rides and training - making it hard to keep up training longer term. What I have done is to start taking on protein supplements (coupled with drinking loads of water) after rides and this has helped me hugely.

This year I've been out with my brother several times and when it comes to hills I'm now hanging in with him. I tracked him up the hill the first time I went out with him this year and to my amazement he just cracked and moved aside. Of course it's early season and I have no doubt he is going to make me suffer for this as the season progresses but it was an interesting experience for me given the amount of stick I took 9 months earlier.
  • carrock wrote:

Keep going one and all.

Most roads are rolling rather then perfectly flat. Being quicker on hills is a much bigger deal then most people credit it for in terms of your average time. People tend to think of hills in terms of the distance involved. If they were counted instead as the amount of time spent on them, they suddenly become a lot more prominent and big time savings can come from small speed changes on hills.

This is frighteningly so if you are racing. Therotically I am losing soemwhere between a minute and 2 minutes on a 10 mile TT because of the extra 10kg or so I am lugging around. The added benefit of less weight means a lower and more aero profile can be achieved for the same power o/p
  • carrock
    thing that really gets me is people who say " well there are just as many down hills as uphills

Yes- but the same hill can take 5 times as long to go up as it does to go down

So we spend far more time going up than coming down
  • Bunch of skinny buggers :D
    I'm 6'3 started two biking months ago (again) at 19stone 1 and am now at 18 stone.
    Not really dieting and drink at least a bottle of wine a night.
    Over the last 500ish miles I'm averaging 15.5 mph on my Specialzied sirrus hybred and I'm really enjoying myself (apart from the hills haha)
    Think people need to get what they enjoy in perspective, I enjoy a drink and I enjoy cycling and at nearly 48 i should cut the achohol out but...........I like it :D
  • Bunch of skinny buggers :D
    I'm 6'3 started two biking months ago (again) at 19stone 1 and am now at 18 stone.
    Over the last 500ish miles I'm averaging 15.5 mph on my Specialzied sirrus hybred and I'm really enjoying myself (apart from the hills haha)
    Think people need to get what they enjoy in perspective, I enjoy a drink and I enjoy cycling and at nearly 48 i should cut the achohol out but...........I like it :D

I like wine too, and more than is sensible, but at your rate of consumption forget cycling; save your liver. It will be f***d if you carry on like that, however fit you are on a bike. Unless you are just trolling the forum....
  • bristolpete
    Bunch of skinny buggers :D

I have excellent perspective. I want to be the best cyclist I can be. That means getting myself where I need to be. Its coming along nicely. You cant get better perspective than that. It is far from taking over my life however but the gains are worthwhile. I went to a family do and people were shocked to see me as I am now - of course they think riding x amount of miles has done it. It has helped, but the real key is the eating/diet plan.
  • ireland57
    ireland57 Posts: 84
    There are always more uphills on a ride and they always suck. Until you look at them differently.

Hills are your friends.

Even I LOVE hills now. They, and just riding, have done so much for my riding fitness and pace in the last 6 months it's hard to believe.

I made a public committment to ride 3500 kms this year. Last year I did 1297kms.
    So far this year I've done 1185kms.

Some of the rides are easy and some are bloody hard. All of them have been enjoyable.

We all know what junk food is and what it does. I look at food and ask "Is that going to do me any good?" If the answer is "no" MOST of the time I don't eat it.

I found that simple method easier than anything else I've done.
    I never had spare weight to lose but I needed to get the diet right regardless.

Have fun with it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    Ja weight isn't everything guys.

I'm 53kg and 171cm and I do get beaten by bigger guys up hills from time to time.

Usually guys who just ride and train more.

That'll make the biggest impact to your riding.
  • bristolpete
    As a small update, I have now moved from fixed to free weights and using a chris carmicheal book as a guide. Likewise with stretching. No heavy weights but a good upper body workout x 3 mornings a week.

Bike wise feeling good. Hit 30 steady miles in 1hr 30 this morning.

Weight coming down etc bit by bit - certainly a two stone lighter than when I posted the opening gambit back on Dec.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I feel soooo big after reading your posts here :D - I'm 6' tall and weight 17.5 stones at the moment, it had gone up to 19.5 about 7 months ago.

My diet is very much the same as it was before I started cycling regularly. I'd say I have a healthy diet but too much food. I hardly drink any alcohol, sometimes I drink 3 or 4 beers in a week and then could go the next 6 weeks without a drop of alcohol.

I regularly do 15 miles 3 or 4 times a week and sometimes I do anything between 20 to 50 miles. Last week I did 72 for the first time and tomorrow I'm doing an 83 miles cycling event.

The goal is to go down to 15 stones by August. Since I started doing more miles that looks possible but I might have to watch my diet a bit :lol: