Muguards... why are there none?

124»

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    no , i dont.
    you used the word sad in an "insulting" manner to describe folk who place importance on their bikes appearence and decide not to use mudguards.
    you may , or may not be right , but it is still insulting.
    dont worry though , i can handle it.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    leon69 wrote:
    stu8975 wrote:
    Mudguards are simply not necessary..its all personal preference...optional extras...why don't cars come fully equipped with all the bells and whistles? because not everybody needs sat nav, a/c etc..its all down to the individual who uses it.

If you ride in the wet/mud and You dont use Mudguards how do you keep the crap out your eyes ?

I wear cheap sunglasses (mainly due to wearing contacts) otherwise i prob wouldn't bother, have no problem with mud on face.

If you ride in the wet/mud and You dont use Mudguards do you even think of the mud/grit your spraying your bike

No, its a bike, it will still work when covered in mud etc, can be easliy hosed off after ride.

If you ride in the wet/mud and You dont use Mudguards do you like to have a brown strip up your back and front driping down your evey thing ?

Dont mind and wear waterproofs, easily cleaned off.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Valy wrote:
    This is one thing that I don’t quite get- why are there just about no mudguards supplied with bikes from the get go? I mean - especially in this country, where it rains every 10 minutes. Surely it's not because people enjoy getting a cold spray of dirty water in their faces whenever they ride in the rain?

I recall someone mentioning that they ~ "Love getting covered in mud" when they go MTBing, while I see how one could like that... I still don't quite understand the reason as to why more or less all the bikes on sale have no mudguards. In Russia all the bikes have them, not here though. Okay – it might add a few quid more onto the price or something... but I dono – should not it be considered a pretty compulsory thing on a bike?

So... whoever can make me understand, that would be cool.
    Bikes are not fitted with lights either and it's dark far more often than it rains. Also, lights are a legal requirement to riding in the dark.

Back to mudguards? What kind should be fitted? The close fitting ones that work best on the road or the high mounted ones that work well in mud but still get you covered in spray? Perhaps 2 pairs should be supplied as a choice with each bike? Actually scrap that - fit both kinds at the same time and the user could 'snap off' the unwanted guard when they get it home.

"Snap Off"...my idea first so hands off....... :lol:

So, a big NO from me when it comes to mudguards being fitted as standard. Just sounds like an idea to have loads and loads of cheap crappy plastic mudguards littering the world or chucked in the bin for no reason.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Daz555 wrote:
    Valy wrote:
    This is one thing that I don’t quite get- why are there just about no mudguards supplied with bikes from the get go? I mean - especially in this country, where it rains every 10 minutes. Surely it's not because people enjoy getting a cold spray of dirty water in their faces whenever they ride in the rain?

I recall someone mentioning that they ~ "Love getting covered in mud" when they go MTBing, while I see how one could like that... I still don't quite understand the reason as to why more or less all the bikes on sale have no mudguards. In Russia all the bikes have them, not here though. Okay – it might add a few quid more onto the price or something... but I dono – should not it be considered a pretty compulsory thing on a bike?

So... whoever can make me understand, that would be cool.
    Bikes are not fitted with lights either and it's dark far more often than it rains. Also, lights are a legal requirement to riding in the dark.

Back to mudguards? What kind should be fitted? The close fitting ones that work best on the road or the high mounted ones that work well in mud but still get you covered in spray? Perhaps 2 pairs should be supplied as a choice with each bike? Actually scrap that - fit both kinds at the same time and the user could 'snap off' the unwanted guard when they get it home.

"Snap Off"...my idea first so hands off....... :lol:

So, a big NO from me when it comes to mudguards being fitted as standard. Just sounds like an idea to have loads and loads of cheap crappy plastic mudguards littering the world or chucked in the bin for no reason.
    I see... I see.

I guess the thing is that most bikes in Russia have mudguards and are considered a pretty standard thing. Just look at the pictures on this site - all the bikes have mudguards.

http://goza.ru/velo-11.htm

EDIT: oh yeah, biff, then gtfo.
  • Snelly
    Snelly Posts: 140
    I agree with Surfmatt completely.

And despite what some of you seem to think, MTB'ing is definitely not cool. I enjoy it despite that as am old enough not to give a flying toss if I am cool or not..
    Fortes fortuna adiuvat.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Valy wrote:
    I guess the thing is that most bikes in Russia have mudguards and are considered a pretty standard thing. Just look at the pictures on this site - all the bikes have mudguards.

Maybe, just maybe, that's a slightly different market.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    GHill wrote:
    Valy wrote:

In Soviet Russia, mud guards you! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Snelly wrote:
    I agree with Surfmatt completely.

And despite what some of you seem to think, MTB'ing is definitely not cool. I enjoy it despite that as am old enough not to give a flying toss if I am cool or not..
    Lol, well that is what you think. :P
    GHill wrote:
    Valy wrote:

Maybe, it;s just that after going out today and coming back with a dry backside and a clean front... you know...
    bails87 wrote:
    GHill wrote:
    Valy wrote:

In Soviet Russia, mud guards you! :lol:

awesometn.png