Muguards... why are there none?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Alex wrote:
    Mudguards don't work for serious mountainbiking. Simple fact. They break easily, they rattle about. They don't catch half the mud that gets flung because knobbly tyres don't fling mud in a predictable way.

Neoguards (or original inner tube) and downtube mounted guards are the only things worth the time on your serious mountainbike.

What a load of cock. Seriously, a good mudguard doesn't break in regular use, they're pretty hard to break even in a crash, and theu don't rattle at all unless fitted wrongly, and they catch a hell of a lot more than half the mud thrown.

If you don't like mudguards, no problem but I don't know why people seem to be so afraid to admit that, and end up coming up with gibberish to try and justify themselves. Or alternatively, pretending that people only like mudguards because they're not "seriously" mountainbiking. Like this loser here, with his mudguard and silly rainbow top:

pbpic4027762.jpg
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    mrwibble wrote:
    Valy wrote:
    mrwibble wrote:
    Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, commuter bike that i cannot get mudguards for.

The point being? :oops:

The point being, it rains when I commute and manufactures seem to forget this.

PS have you finished being clever now?

WTF? Being clever? What?
    theblender wrote:
    Customer visits shop:

I'd like to buy that bike please, but, I already have my own mudguards, can you remove them please?

Yes, no problem

As I don't need the mudguards, could you reduce the price of the bike accordingly....oh, and while we're at it, I don't need the lights, rack or stand either and further reduce the price to compensate? Oh, and if I bring my own mudguards, rack and light and stand in, could you fit those for free too?

The above scenario is a nightmare for shops.

It's always better to start with a blank canvas and add extras to the bike you want. You get to choose the parts you want, rather than be lumbered with often sub-standard OEM racks/mudguards etc, which can also be a nightmare to get spares for. Customise for your individual requirements.

And mudguards, ALL mudguards, are pig ugly! (and I've yet to see a cyclist with mudguards who is clean and dry!!??!!)

I see what you mean but I guess here people will be much more prone to adding stuff onto their bikes than say the average guy/gal when it comes to cycling.
    bol wrote:
    If you're trying to make a bike look cool, the last thing you'd do is put mudguards on it. People who sell mountain bikes know that their target audience care quite a lot about what their bike looks like so won't respond well to them. There is also an element of snobbery about it, as people who use cheap mountain bikes Or BSOs to commute tend to put mudguards on (sensibly in my opinion); not having mudguards shows that you're riding your bike out of choice rather than necessity.

Speaking personally, at this time of year I always tend to have a crudcatcher on the from and a qr mudguard on the back. I don't think it looks pretty, but I'm allowed back in the house without having to get naked on the doorstep.

lol

As far as looks go – I dono, they can be vary subjective, if anything a bike with mudguards can look very ~10-12 yo cool. :p
    skullthaw wrote:
    ugly ugly ugly
    no point charging for somthing people dont want
    not as fun
    no point as washing machines have been invented!

Kind of short-sighted of you...
    Northwind wrote:
    Alex wrote:
    Mudguards don't work for serious mountainbiking. Simple fact. They break easily, they rattle about. They don't catch half the mud that gets flung because knobbly tyres don't fling mud in a predictable way.

Neoguards (or original inner tube) and downtube mounted guards are the only things worth the time on your serious mountainbike.

What a load of fool. Seriously, a good mudguard doesn't break in regular use, they're pretty hard to break even in a crash, and theu don't rattle at all unless fitted wrongly, and they catch a hell of a lot more than half the mud thrown.

If you don't like mudguards, no problem but I don't know why people seem to be so afraid to admit that, and end up coming up with gibberish to try and justify themselves. Or alternatively, pretending that people only like mudguards because they're not "seriously" mountainbiking. Like this loser here, with his mudguard and silly rainbow top:

pbpic4027762.jpg

Is that sarcasm? :p

With mudguards, it's not just dirt I'm talking about – what about water? So far it seems to be that mudguards are a pretty subjective thing and apart from, well, some relatively non-conclusive stuff from a few (minus maybe the price issue, but still...) there does not seem to be a definitive answer. Also do not forget, people on here as I mentioned before are more likely to swap stuff, as well as take the whole bike apart and put it back together – ie, “enthusiasts” and so on. So while most people would be aright with mudguards, some on here might not be.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    I don't care what anyone says about mudguards; all I know is that since fitting them I no longer come home sodding wet with streaks of mud up my back and a dirty face.

Besides, people are more likely to think "look at that idiot covered in mud" rather than "he put mudguards on his bike - what an idiot".
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    personally I don't care if mudgurards etc were to make my bike ugly. They'd effectively save me from crashing.

Came off the bike last year going down a muddy section after getting mud in my eye (was going at a decent speed). So invested in a pair of shades which kinda failed miserably (bad luck I guess) I fell off while wiping the mud/water spray off them.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Alex wrote:

The added bonus of which is that neither of these fine inventions leave your bike looking like a pretend crosser.

Plus the front crudcatch doesn't move with every turn of the handlebars .. it is only stuck in the once place .,,, which really doesn't work
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    colintrav wrote:
    Alex wrote:

The added bonus of which is that neither of these fine inventions leave your bike looking like a pretend crosser.

Plus the front crudcatch doesn't move with every turn of the handlebars .. it is only stuck in the once place .,,, which really doesn't work

the new ones are mounted on the bars, so move with every movement of the bars :)
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    It's all personal preference.

Some people like to get back from a ride not completely covered from head to foot in what they hope is mud.

Some people like to look like they shat themselves.

Each to their own.

:lol:
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    This topic keeps coming up :lol:

I have a SKS Shockboard on the front of my I-Drive (on Northwind's recommendation IIRC), nothing on the rear....the reason....because I don't really give a toss about getting muddy so my back can get as muddy as it wants, but I really do object to getting dog and horse sh1te in my eyes, nose and mouth and the Shockboard does a pretty good job of catching it. If that makes me gay than yep, I'm gay, but at least I still have'nt had a toxicara infection and still have my eyesight. :wink:

Not that I ride in particularly sh1te covered areas, but I do see quite a few piles of each on each ride and god knows what mixed up with all that gloop.

As for why they aren't fitted as standard, I think all of the threads on this subject and all the differing views on the rights and wrongs answers that question pretty well. :D
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Northwind
    weeksy59 wrote:
    the new ones are mounted on the bars, so move with every movement of the bars :)

It's a big step forward that, now they're exactly half as good as a proper fork mounted guard :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Valy
    handful wrote:
    This topic keeps coming up :lol:

I have a SKS Shockboard on the front of my I-Drive (on Northwind's recommendation IIRC), nothing on the rear....the reason....because I don't really give a toss about getting muddy so my back can get as muddy as it wants, but I really do object to getting dog and horse sh1te in my eyes, nose and mouth and the Shockboard does a pretty good job of catching it. If that makes me gay than yep, I'm gay, but at least I still have'nt had a toxicara infection and still have my eyesight. :wink:

Not that I ride in particularly sh1te covered areas, but I do see quite a few piles of each on each ride and god knows what mixed up with all that gloop.

As for why they aren't fitted as standard, I think all of the threads on this subject and all the differing views on the rights and wrongs answers that question pretty well. :D

Lol, I guess so... :p

You say eyesight - huh? Is that an implication that you can decrease your eyesight if some horse/dog/w/e poop gets into it? :shock:
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    Dog toffee to the eye can cause blindness.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MeddlE wrote:

Which is why dog-poo in parks (where children play/roll in the grass etc) is such a problem, but no one minds so much about horse poo out in the countryside, which is fairly harmless.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    I`d never ride without mudguards in winter and rarely in summer....crudcatcher front + old inner tube on forks crown to stanchion; crudcatcher with extension (plastic milk bottle cut down) + section of raod tyre connecting crudcatcher to halfway on down tube. Keeps majority of mud off me / clothing / rucsac :) . Sorry JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND LIKING GETTING COVERED IN MUD + SHEEP POO IN WINTER Why???:o
    Mudguards aren`t pretty but nor is being caked in above muck
  • Valy
    Got some mudguards today:

topeakdefenderm1frontmu.jpg

topeakdefenderrxrear.jpg

The top one does not fit as the fork on my bike seems to get thicker - very slightly, but enough to stop the attachment thing from going in all the way - now I'm thinking whether to file it down and whatnot, or try to see if there is anything else out there.
  • Northwind
    Check out the SKS Shockboard for a front one, it's very good... Not as tough as some but it took a fair old boot to crack mine (I found it up a tree) and it still works fine, it just has a little slop.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    SKS Shockboard.
  • Valy
    Will have a look at it. but what about filing the one I have now?
  • Northwind
    If you can't return it, then it can't hurt... Filing plastic tends to be a sod mind, might be easier to whittle it with a stanley knife (or brutally attack it with a dremel and a drum)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Valy
    Northwind wrote:
    If you can't return it, then it can't hurt... Filing plastic tends to be a sod mind, might be easier to whittle it with a stanley knife (or brutally attack it with a dremel and a drum)

I can return, but I'm not sure if I liked many mudguards in the shop. How exactly is filing plastic a PIA though? :(
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    +1 for SKS Shockboard. Very easy to get on and off and works a treat. :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Not a fan of the looks of the Shockboard myself I'm afraid.

I went for a Muckynutz Bender Fender which is fantastic on it's own at keeping spray and poo off my face, and when coupled with a crudcatcher it does the trick very nicely.

Crud catcher will come off when it gets a little less swamp-like out, but the bender fender will stay onn all year round.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    bails87 wrote:
    MeddlE wrote:

Which is why dog-poo in parks (where children play/roll in the grass etc) is such a problem, but no one minds so much about horse poo out in the countryside, which is fairly harmless.

Toxicara is carried by cats and dogs, but dogs are generally better wormed than cats, as toxicara can be fatal to puppies.
  • Northwind
    True that. But dogs tend to crap more in parks, on paths etc. Think the risk's exaggerated myself mind, unless trails are surfaced with poo down south but up here it's mostly just mud and rocks.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Valy
    I've installed the front mudguard yesterday - it only needed a tiny amount of filing and it went in juts fine! :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Alex wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    MeddlE wrote:

Toxicara is carried by cats and dogs, but dogs are generally better wormed than cats, as toxicara can be fatal to puppies.

I didn't know cats carried it, but then I don't go rolling around in cat poo either!

Obviously (and ironically) on Follow the Dog there's no eggs because it's a specific bike trail, but on the local paths and bridleways (where the only other people I see are dog walkers) there is a fair bit, and it's minging!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Valy
    There should be a crackdown on those foooools!!11 or something...
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Mud gaurds - why don't manufacturers fit as standard?

Cosmetically they arn't pleasing to the eye - hence they affect peoples perception of how good a bike looks and ultimately their decision to purchase said bike.

As has been shown on this thread 60%+ people hate them with a passion!

Personally I use a rear crud catcher in winter - i think it look terrible! But i could'nt care less what anyone else thinks anyhow :) keeps mud off my back and off my leather heated seats in the car 8) :lol:
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Mud gaurds - why don't manufacturers fit as standard?

Cosmetically they arn't pleasing to the eye - hence they affect peoples perception of how good a bike looks and ultimately their decision to purchase said bike.

As has been shown on this thread 60%+ people hate them with a passion!

Personally I use a rear crud catcher in winter - i think it looks terrible! But i could'nt care less what anyone else thinks anyhow :) keeps mud off my back and means i don't dirty up my leather heated seats in the car 8) :lol: Cold wet muddy back ruins my ride enjoyment too!

I'm after one of those neo-gaurds for the front fork but need to find one at a decent price.

front.jpg
  • Valy
    Yeah - I just fitted some onto my bike and they look ok - but then I though manufacturers could design them in a way that would fit bikes appearances and in that way there is no mud all over and they look better.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Mudguards are simply not necessary..its all personal preference...optional extras...why don't cars come fully equipped with all the bells and whistles? because not everybody needs sat nav, a/c etc..its all down to the individual who uses it.