The best Christmas present EVER

Comments

• Absolutely NOT bringing shiny new bike to the pub to get stolen / bashed as I get clumsy and drunken!!

But I shall be riding it before easter. Though not in the snow. Crashing my new bike in the first week would make me sad. very sad.

And YES, Greg66, I have neutrons. HURRAH. AND another hurrah for small worlds and Les C. I am there this w/e and at Easter too - see you there!
  • It's HERE!!!! Very excited. Though sod's law being the marvel it is, it's going to snow tomorrow so I shan't get a spin on it....
  • It's HERE!!!! Very excited. Though sod's law being the marvel it is, it's going to snow tomorrow so I shan't get a spin on it....

Hurrah! Rollers!
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Couple of years ago I gave my girlfriend this, as an early christmas present, having lovingly restored and repainted it from 'left in the shed for ten years' condition

03-01-09_1146.jpg

I will be totally refurbing it in the summer:
    * alloy wheels (the steels are really rather rusty from two years/two winters of daily use, plus very heavy, plus hopeless braking in the wet) with some nice Schwalbe whitewall tyres (if calipers fit over them, that is, NOS raleighs if not)
    * service the SA hub (have cleaned and re-lubed an SA hub before, it's actually pretty easy)
    * 'proper' modern brake calipers not the flexy steel ones on there now
    * ally cranks, seatpost, stem, mudguards and handlebars in an attempt to keep the weight down (the heft of this thing has almost made my girlfriend a stronger cyclist than I am) plus the obvious anti-rust benefits of aluminium
    * fully enclosed chain-case to stop grit getting on the neglected chain
    * add a skirtguard, if I can find one, or make a skirtguard if I can't
    * Brooks sprung saddle and grips
    * Clip pedals
    * powdercoat, in red with cream details (mudguards/chainguard)
    * helmet in matching colour scheme, which I have nearly finished. Basically just re-painting a BMX helmet as they are a nicer shape that normal road helmets

Hurrah! Rollers!

Once you've put your helmet on nobody can see your hair, so what's the point???
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    It's HERE!!!! Very excited. Though sod's law being the marvel it is, it's going to snow tomorrow so I shan't get a spin on it....

Hurrah! Rollers!

Once you've put your helmet on nobody can see your hair, so what's the point???
    Federated rollers joke count=3

...er 4
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    It's HERE!!!! Very excited. Though sod's law being the marvel it is, it's going to snow tomorrow so I shan't get a spin on it....
    Hurrah!
    You know the rules, though. No pics and it hasn't happened ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Congratulations!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Hurrah!
    You know the rules, though. No pics and it hasn't happened ;)

Ah yes - happy to take piccy as am very very proud owner, obviously, but as I recall there are several (perhaps many) rules about the taking of photographs of new and shiny bikes. Position of cranks, valves, chains etc.

Could someone issue a definitive list for me to follow, please, so I can take the pic tonight?
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/46763137@N03/4290550481/

Here it is...think I followed the bike pic protocol but no doubt there will be some glaring error for someone to point out.
  • jonginge
    Noice.

Yep, as far as I can tell OCP protocols has been followed ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Noice.

Yep, as far as I can tell OCP protocols has been followed ;)

Lovely. No need to photograph it two different rooms though... :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/46763137@N03/4290550481/

Here it is...think I followed the bike pic protocol but no doubt there will be some glaring error for someone to point out.

Alex will be along shortly no doubt :lol:

Very nice, i'd be interest to know how those SRAM shifters compare
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Very nice, the orca's a lovely bike.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Very nice. Bring him/her out on the 28th
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Are you really the kind of person to listen to what some autistic control freak tells you to do?

This is a proper way to photograph a bike:

3654988261_2b2958a3bc.jpg
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    OMG look at the lack of chain tension! It's positively flaccid.

I feel sick.
  • biondino wrote:
    Are you really the kind of person to listen to what some autistic control freak tells you to do?

LOVE your bike pic. Sadly I am not that creative, so went with the standard. I quite enjoyed making my bike look smart / neat (if I'm honest, I know the chain & casette will never be quite that clean ever again).
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    biondino wrote:

Are you about to torch it?

Livvy.. nice bike, even the tyre decals line up with the valves... good work
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    biondino wrote:

LOVE your bike pic. Sadly I am not that creative, so went with the standard. I quite enjoyed making my bike look smart / neat (if I'm honest, I know the chain & casette will never be quite that clean ever again).

Heh - I fully understand that :)

Brun - are you going to make me post that album cover again...?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:
    Noice.

Yep, as far as I can tell OCD protocols has been followed ;)

fixed that for you
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Noice.

Yep, as far as I can tell OCD protocols has been followed ;)

fixed that for you
    :lol:

I'm purposefully anti-OCD in all my activities.... er, oh, dammit
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Are you about to torch it?

Livvy.. nice bike, even the tyre decals line up with the valves... good work

Agreed. Looks real purdy.

Psst - don't the wheels need a half revolution each so the decals are the right way up? :shock:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    The cranks are slightly in the wrong position :shock:

Lovely bike though, congrats, although I can't help but think that a little white would complement the Black/Red scheme... :wink:

I can never get bike pics right, there's always something I forget.
  • biondino
    The cranks are slightly in the wrong position :shock:

Lovely bike though, congrats, although I can't help but think that a little white would complement the Black/Red scheme... :wink:

I can never get bike pics right, there's always something I forget.

IP's bike pic:

2554087276_8fd5595d76.jpg
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    <applause>
  • il_principe
    I'll set em up....
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Lovely bike. Would have that crack in the down tube looked at though.
    Every winner has scars.
  • il_principe
    Hang on, do I spy SPD's:

4290550481_ff81b24716.jpg

*tuts