whats the speed of dark

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Your left leg, I like.

I have nothing against your left leg, unfortunately, neither do you.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Attica wrote:
    Your left leg, I like.

I have nothing against your left leg, unfortunately, neither do you.

Damn you - that was my next line :wink:

No-one likes a smarta*se :)
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    :lol:

I think we've successfully managed to derail the thread into complete "off topicness"

Merry Christmas all
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Merry Christmas :)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    edited December 2009
    _40466249_ali_foreman_5_300.jpg
    I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and got into bed before the room was dark.

The speed of dark - not as fast as The Greatest
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • So what's a Black Hole if not "dark" that sucks everything into it? My head hurts!!
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • Splottboy wrote:
    If it's Brains Dark, it takes about 2 mins to settle. Guinness is bit longer and
    Murphy's some where in between...

What about Beamish (Cork stout).
    exercise.png
  • Jay dubbleU
    garrynolan wrote:
    So what's a Black Hole if not "dark" that sucks everything into it? My head hurts!!

On the contrary a Black Hole is full of all the light it has sucked in - however its gravity prevents light from escaping beyond the event horizon and therefore it appears to be dark
  • garrynolan wrote:
    So what's a Black Hole if not "dark" that sucks everything into it? My head hurts!!

On the contrary a Black Hole is full of all the light it has sucked in - however its gravity prevents light from escaping beyond the event horizon and therefore it appears to be dark

So... what happens when the Black Hole is full - as it must be of a finite size? Where does the light go?
    exercise.png
  • Jay dubbleU
    garrynolan wrote:
    garrynolan wrote:

So... what happens when the Black Hole is full - as it must be of a finite size? Where does the light go?

Why must a black hole be of finite size ? Surely as long as it draws in matter it can keep on growing ? Or would it reach a point where it collapses under its own gravity field
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    If we assume that the speed of light is approximately 300,000,000 metres/sec,

and Darkness is negative light

then clearly the speed of Dark is -300,000,000 m/s

QED

(I failed many maths exams)

Ah - basic mistake in the hypothesis there - dark is the absence of light and clearly just hangs around waiting for light to turn up

As says Pratchett: "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Sure in one or two of the books he mentions the morning sun as a slow, sludgy traversal across the land, rather liked that..!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • I don't have darkness now that I have my P7 Dealextreme torch
  • Jay dubbleU
    sarajoy wrote:
    If we assume that the speed of light is approximately 300,000,000 metres/sec,

and Darkness is negative light

then clearly the speed of Dark is -300,000,000 m/s

QED

(I failed many maths exams)

Ah - basic mistake in the hypothesis there - dark is the absence of light and clearly just hangs around waiting for light to turn up

As says Pratchett: "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Sure in one or two of the books he mentions the morning sun as a slow, sludgy traversal across the land, rather liked that..!

Alas Sara that only applies in flat worlds carried on the back of four elephants standing on the back of a giant turtle - that's because the laws of magik apply and not the laws of physics :wink:
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Oh, I know. I still prefer their way of things - who knows, maybe we are indeed an experiment floating in a glass dome somewhere in the Unseen University.

Yes, I'm rather geeky, and yes I get the real-world physics (well, before it goes all weird and theoretical) - I'll have to soon anyway, I'm on my way to teaching Secondary Physics innit... :D
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • garrynolan wrote:
    garrynolan wrote:

Why must a black hole be of finite size ? Surely as long as it draws in matter it can keep on growing ? Or would it reach a point where it collapses under its own gravity field

A Black Hole is the region of space where the escape velocity is so high that it is greater than the speed of light. It is a finite area bounded by the gravity gradiant where the all the matter in the immediate area is pulled in and no more is captured.

Oh and a Black Hole cannot collapse any more. This is the fundamental principle behind it: all the matter from the core of the Star that formed it, has collapsed so far it cannot go any further.

Never under-estimate the power of the Dark Side.... 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Dark chocolate is definitely slower than white chocolate. 1000% FACT!
  • Jay dubbleU
    sarajoy wrote:
    Oh, I know. I still prefer their way of things - who knows, maybe we are indeed an experiment floating in a glass dome somewhere in the Unseen University.

Yes, I'm rather geeky, and yes I get the real-world physics (well, before it goes all weird and theoretical) - I'll have to soon anyway, I'm on my way to teaching Secondary Physics innit... :D

B***er the physics Sara - teach the magik - sometimes the two are indistinguishable - even knowing how stars form and decline doesn't take away the wonder
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    -null- wrote:
    Isn't that the speed the Earth is rotating at. Or the moon moving round the Earth.

It is indeed virtually the same as the speed of the Earth rotation, with a slight adjustment in there for the speed of the earth travel through the comsos and the moons path in relation to the sun and earth.

Recently there was a bunch of religious wacko's that claimed the Earth didn't rotate

That's religious weirdo's for you ..
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Dark doesn't have to move. The only way we can perceive dark is with the 'absence' of light.

It is entirely possibly for dark to be present because light has moved, escaped or stopped moving. I.e.

When you turn on a light switch light is created it moves and illuminates the room.

When you turn off a light switch, it becomes dark because light is no longer present within the room. Dark hasn't moved (or moved on or stopped moving) light has.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    colintrav wrote:
    -null- wrote:
    Isn't that the speed the Earth is rotating at. Or the moon moving round the Earth.

It is indeed virtually the same as the speed of the Earth rotation, with a slight adjustment in there for the speed of the earth travel through the comsos and the moons path in relation to the sun and earth.

Recently there was a bunch of religious wacko's that claimed the Earth didn't rotate

Also another lot that recons there was no Dinosaurs, and that the universe was created in 7 days..... madness I say - we all know it was instantaneous in the Big Bang!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Jay dubbleU
    But what was before the Big Bang - ah the question theoretical physicists hate :wink:
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    But what was before the Big Bang - ah the question theoretical physicists hate :wink:

nothing.. time cannot exist without space. if time does not exist then there is no before.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Ah you mean first there was nothing - then something which exploded ?

Personally I'm in favour of the cyclic universe theory - universe expands - universe contracts - big bang - another universe - neat huh ? 8) 8)
  • tailwindhome
    colintrav wrote:
    -null- wrote:

Also another lot that recons there was no Dinosaurs, and that the universe was created in 7 days..... madness I say - we all know it was instantaneous in the Big Bang!!

There are another lot of headbangers who believe we are descended from apes. :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU
    We are not descended from apes - we share a common ancestor with other primates
  • We are not descended from apes - we share a common ancestor with other primates

Speak for yourself :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

Speak for yourself :D
    We did wonder :P

The Ancestor's tale. An interesting read, if you like that sort of thing.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Wallace1492
    I believe the Moon's made of cheese.....
  • tailwindhome

That only applies to you Earthlings
  • Wallace1492

It's hard to tell.....

tartan-bonnet-hat-ginger-hair-326-p.jpg

An+orangutan+monkey+riding+a+bike.jpg