whats the speed of dark

bearfraser
bearfraser Posts: 435
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
we all know the speed of light!!!!,whats the speed of dark???????????

Comments

• I thought it was greg66?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    bearfraser wrote:

Calling Kieran Burns.....

However, the shadow of the moon during a solar eclipse travels across the earths surface at 1,700 kph that to me is the speed of darkness.

gal_011.jpg
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • dark doesn't move. it just sits around smoking a bong and eating oreos, as any fule kno.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Isn't that the speed the Earth is rotating at. Or the moon moving round the Earth.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    No, it's to do with how fast the Sun rotates around the Earth.......
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Wallace1492
    -null- wrote:
    Isn't that the speed the Earth is rotating at. Or the moon moving round the Earth.

It is indeed virtually the same as the speed of the Earth rotation, with a slight adjustment in there for the speed of the earth travel through the comsos and the moons path in relation to the sun and earth.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    The speed of dark is exactly the same as the speed of light otherwise there would be gaps in the cosmos which were neither light nor dark - OMG I think I've discovered beige :shock:
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    edited December 2009
    Dark must be quick enough to move out of the way of light because otherwise light would have to slow down or go around it, which apparently isn't one of light's strong points. The speed of grey, however....now, that one's a bit harder...

DEIT: Damn you, dubbleU, you beat me by a minute!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    bearfraser wrote:

Calling Kieran Burns.....

However, the shadow of the moon during a solar eclipse travels across the earths surface at 1,700 kph that to me is the speed of darkness.

gal_011.jpg

That's not the 'speed of dark' that is the speed of the moon moving around the Earth - measured because its in a position where it is blocking our sunlight.

I'm going with this theory.

Darkness is the absence of light. Whereas the speed of light can vary or so it has been theorised. Darkness carries no information or energy and therefore it's speed (if such a thing can be applied to the concept) is likely to be equal to or greater than the speed of light.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Wallace1492
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Darkness is the absence of light. Whereas the speed of light can vary or so it has been theorised. Darkness carries no information or energy and therefore it's speed (if such a thing can be applied to the concept) is likely to be equal to or greater than the speed of light.

Impossible. if it has no information or no energy then it cannot travel, it therefore has no speed. It is zero, zilch. It is the default state of matter without light. Only light has speed whether the increasing or decreasing kind.
  • If light consists of photons, is darkness anti-photons? Do they travel at the speed of light but backwards in time? This is what afternoon mulled wine does to you...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Impossible. if it has no information or no energy then it cannot travel, it therefore has no speed. It is zero, zilch. It is the default state of matter without light. Only light has speed whether the increasing or decreasing kind.

So is there more darkness in the Universe than light? Can Darkness expand and contract.

Also is it impossible, darkness is the absence of light and all of what light is composed, that being energy and speed. Doesn't darkness absorb light on occasion?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Wallace1492
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

So is there more darkness in the Universe than light? Can Darkness expand and contract.

Also is it impossible, darkness is the absence of light and all of what light is composed, that being energy and speed. Doesn't darkness absorb light on occasion?

Yes, there will be far more darkess than light. Darkness being nothingness with no energy. It cannot expand and contract, as it is only light that can do this. Darkness is the default state of everything with no light. Light can dissapate, but darkness cannot absorb it.

(all theory of course!) :wink:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it
  • Isn't there energy in the vacuum even without light? Zero point energy or something like that.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Isn't there energy in the vacuum even without light? Zero point energy or something like that.
    In quantum mechanics, yeah
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    <Cat> "So what is it??" </Cat>
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • dark is a myth, it's just light with it's eyes shut
  • Dark is what happens when Chuck Norris is around because light is too scared to show it's face...
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    If we assume that the speed of light is approximately 300,000,000 metres/sec,

and Darkness is negative light

then clearly the speed of Dark is -300,000,000 m/s

QED

(I failed many maths exams)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Jay dubbleU

QED

Ah - basic mistake in the hypothesis there - dark is the absence of light and clearly just hangs around waiting for light to turn up
  • If we assume that the speed of light is approximately 300,000,000 metres/sec,

QED

Ah - basic mistake in the hypothesis there - dark is the absence of light and clearly just hangs around waiting for light to turn up

That word ''clearly'' is rarely used to describe the dark. And being weightless, ''hanging around'' makes little sense. I think it's more likely that darkness has chameleon-like properties - being able to disappear where there is light (though it never disappears faster or slower than light appears) and the only visible proof of its existence is where it remains uncloaked behind rocks and tall buildings and, er, stuff.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    If it's Brains Dark, it takes about 2 mins to settle. Guinness is bit longer and Murphy's some where in between...
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Does dark matter?

:lol:

If the speed of light is as fast as it's (theoretically) possible to travel, then the speed of dark (the opposite of light) must be the slowest that it's possible to travel.

Therefore the speed of dark is the speed at which any Customer Services Representative moves when you are parked on double yellow lines, need to be somewhere else for an appointment just about now and there's a traffic warden ambling towards your car.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jay dubbleU

QED

That word ''clearly'' is rarely used to describe the dark. And being weightless, ''hanging around'' makes little sense. I think it's more likely that darkness has chameleon-like properties - being able to disappear where there is light (though it never disappears faster or slower than light appears) and the only visible proof of its existence is where it remains uncloaked behind rocks and tall buildings and, er, stuff.

Stuff ? STUFF ? What sort of explanation is that ?

Dark is not antilight as in matter/antimatter - dark does not exist in its own right - it is the absence of light in the same way that cold is the absence of heat

I am at this point arguing for the sake of it :roll:
  • attica
    cold is the absence of heat

I am at this point arguing for the sake of it :roll:

Right then if you want an argument... Cold is not the absence of heat.

Cold is a relative experience compared with another temperature (usually your own body temperature)

The melting point of H2O is 273K.
    That's 273K (or centigrade/celcius) above absolute zero, so on the grand scheme of things, still ruddy hot.

Is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jay dubbleU
    I have Absolutely Zero to say on this subject 8) 8)
  • attica
    I'm sorry, I can't argue until you pay me
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jay dubbleU
    OK - a million pounds and my right leg