Mudguards on full suss?

13»

Comments

• ianpinder wrote:
    Your worried about making your bike look shoot with the use of mudguards!! have you seen your saddle and pedals
    How rude...again! This forum's very bitchy aint it, I bet those same people wouldn't say these things to your face if they met you on the trails ;)

The saddle's an SDG Bel-Air RL and pedals are DMR V12's....both are decent looking and quality.
    The red is to carry on the theme of the red seatpost clamp and spoke nipples.

Out of interest, what's your ride Ian?
  • If I must...... :lol:

3942096882_fd6a6bdc43.jpg

3941271391_7a16b25427.jpg

and my odl Nicolai before it Was stolen

2645884257_83ca9ae0af.jpg

And i'm not saying that they are bad components, just the colour looks cheap.
    Cycling the Tour D'Afrique in 2012

www.tda2012.com
  • Fit one of these and be done with it :D

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... r-10-35423
    Stuff I have designed
    www.muckynutz.com
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i use mudguards on the hardtail.....

dont get me wrong...like all the other nomudguardlot....i dont mind getting mud and water splatted up my back, but over the course of a big ride, that turns into grinding paste and you end up with a transparent gooch. not good.

if your idea of a ride is a couple of hours at a trail centre....then fine, mudguards are optional...if you spend 10 hours in the saddle over varied terrain in the highlands, then i am afraid mudguards are a really important piece of kit.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Bert UK wrote:
    Ian wins :D.
    lol its not a competition man.

ian thinks mine looks cheap...

i like the look of my bike (w/o the mudguards obv)....

ian has a sweet ride i won't deny it....

the post wasn't regarding who had the best looking bike
  • biff55 wrote:
    downtube crudcatcher = acceptable
    front / rear = ghey
    8)

this
    LOL road riding.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    see, at least I didn't have a go at the rest of your bike, although, now that I look at it, the pedals and saddle do look a little out of place.
    In fact, if you sprayed it blue and bought last years components it would look mint.. :wink:

BTW - Ian doesn't seem to have any mudguards either, to get back to the point...
    Not really active
  • _Ferret_ wrote:
    see, at least I didn't have a go at the rest of your bike, although, now that I look at it, the pedals and saddle do look a little out of place.
    In fact, if you sprayed it blue and bought last years components it would look mint.. :wink:

BTW - Ian doesn't seem to have any mudguards either, to get back to the point...
    Thanks everyone, im now gonna go ride my ugly bike out in the snow with no mudguards on while regretting all of my foolish cheap looking purchases :( (lol well the ride in the snow bit is true)

but you're right this is a mudguard thread so lets keep it clean...or dirty if you don't have any mudguards (boom boom!)
  • ian thinks mine looks cheap...

Not your bike, I think its quite nice. Just your saddle and your pedals.

I do have a mudguard as well, for winter use, just that all these pics were taken in the summer. Also look on the downtube of the handjob.

www.tda2012.com
  • _Ferret_
    see, that mudguard looks so good, I didn't even notice it was there!
    Now THAT is styling!
    Not really active
  • TBH I preffer to have a relativly dry arse and look 'gay', rather then have a sore chapped brown stained arse, and look trendy, like those guys at fashion shows look.

But thats just me.

www.tda2012.com
  • Ok - finally got around to taking pics of my bikes all ready for winter - including my new white Crud set :oops: Let's see if this works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45820112@N02/4208988967/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45820112@N02/4209755888/

I have to say I like them and think they look pretty good although I do prefer the bikes without. But if you want to stay dryer then the Crud are decent looking guards. (Even on full sussers - :shock: Yep - back on thread!) :wink:
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Crudguard on the downtube. Yes.
    Neoguard/cut up innetube in the fork. Yes.
    Small frame mounted mudguard to protect the shock from crud on interrupted seat tube designs. Yes.

Anything else? Never!

Putting mudguards on mountainbikes just makes them look like the kiddies bikes that are meant to look like crossers. It's not a good look. And with knobbly tyres flinging mud every direction, they don't actually keep you any cleaner.

Mud guards are for road bikes and casual cyclists. Mountainbikers are supposed to <3 the Mud.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Ok - finally got around to taking pics of my bikes all ready for winter - including my new white Crud set :oops: Let's see if this works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45820112@N02/4208988967/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45820112@N02/4209755888/

I have to say I like them and think they look pretty good although I do prefer the bikes without. But if you want to stay dryer then the Crud are decent looking guards. (Even on full sussers - :shock: Yep - back on thread!) :wink:

Hmmm have to say i prefer the black on the white frame. I was debating white for mine until i saw yours.

Sorry man

HEre's a question for you who think they look rubbish... Who do you think is looking at your bike ? more importantly... why do you care what they think when they are looking ?

Ridiculous.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Alex wrote:
    . Mountainbikers are supposed to <3 the Mud.

Fair enough, but I don't like dog eggs flicked up my back, on my water bottle and in my face.

And anyway, I get muddy because I go mountain biking. I don't go mountain biking to get muddy. :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Alex wrote:
    And with knobbly tyres flinging mud every direction, they don't actually keep you any cleaner.

Ah but Alex, you must know that's cobblers surely. I mean, it's not just a little bit of cobblers. If you don't like the look that's enough reason not to fit them but this just ain't so.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Nah, didn't you know Northwind, knobbly tyres flick mud like a Beckham free kick, it curls around the mudguard to get you!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • _Ferret_
    not convinced about the fender up front...
    That does look a little odd.
    Does it work? and wouldn't a neoguard do a similar job
    Not really active
  • Northwind
    That Fast Fender is a very complicated bit of kit for such a simple job, don't understand why they didn't fork mount it. Supposedly it's so it can take a race number but how many people do that?

(I think, maybe, that Crud just don't want to make a fork mounted guard, as doing so pretty much admits "downtube guards don't work". Which they don't. So instead they've made something twice as complicated that works half as well as a shockboard, just so it's compatible with their old range.)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • _Ferret_
    I like the downtube crudcatcher!
    You obviously don't really think that it doesn't work. It doesn't stop everything but does a good enough job at stopping crap getting in my eyes.
    Not really active
  • _Ferret_ wrote:
    not convinced about the fender up front...
    That does look a little odd.
    Does it work? and wouldn't a neoguard do a similar job

Neoguard stopps about 99.9% of mud being thrown forward, they do a great job. I believe the fast fender does a good job too, but which is better?

There's only one way to find out!!!!!

Fiiiiight!

Just down to styling and what you prefer really, some people like the crosser look of the fast fender. I had a home made neoguard but have receintly swapped it out for a Mucky Nutz Bender Fender (just to try it out). I like the super subtle looks and the fact it protects my head set too.
  • Northwind
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    I like the downtube crudcatcher!
    You obviously don't really think that it doesn't work. It doesn't stop everything but does a good enough job at stopping crap getting in my eyes.

I don't think it works well enough to be worth bothering with, when I fit a mudguard I want it to be really effective, not just a bit. So I use a shockboard, which is ace. A crud guard plus an RRP or similiar still isn't as good and IMO looks worse. But that's personal taste of course.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Crud fast fenders are remarkably effective - went for my first ride out using one on a day when it just rained torrentially the whole time I was out and where there was standing water almost all over the trail. Looked at my face in a mirror when i got back into the car - one speck of mud only. No more need for goggles or clear glasses. I agree that side on they look a little odd but they look fine when sat on the bike and you forget it's there after 10 minutes of riding.
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • It depends where you live but if you dont fit a downtube crudcatcher in the wet muddy winter you will ingest all kinds of bad things......espescially if you go where the sheep go.

I PROMISE YOU 8)
    Santa Cruz Heckler 2006