Mudguards on full suss?

carlosnashos
carlosnashos Posts: 43
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Is it just me or does it look a little...geeky? like saddle bags or wheel reflectors.

Fair enough if you also use the bike for commuting, no one wants to turn up to work or uni with a wet bum, but if it's just an off road bike then get wet and muddy right?

(i'm sure it's been discussed before but i couldn't find it)

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Is it just me or does it look a little...geeky? like saddle bags or wheel reflectors.

No, it isn't you. Mudguards on mountain bikes are G-A-Y. End of.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Yes, it's you. Mudguards have their uses. Anyone who says differently has never had mud in their eyes or frozen water pummeled up thier @rse.
    Not really active
  • _Ferret_ wrote:
    Yes, it's you. Mudguards have their uses. Anyone who says differently has never had mud in their eyes or frozen water pummeled up thier @rse.

lol had both...thats what waterproofs and glasses are for.

i do agree they have their uses like i said - for commuting, i use them for back and forward to uni but off road, you're going to get wed and muddy even with them on, so do it in style like the pro's!
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    anyone who thinks they are gay is just a proper plum.

They are exceptional useful.h
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    downtube crudcatcher = acceptable
    front / rear = ghey
    8)
  • _Ferret_
    he he...
    I've been out riding when your glasses get so covered in mud that you can't see a thing. Hence the need for a Crudcatcher and a Neoguard.
    A waterproof is good, but they never go over your bum do they. and waterproof shorts only keep you dry up to a point and ice is not only wet, it's cold too. A rear Crud race guard sorts that out.
    I've got mudguards on my bike and they actually look okay - If your bike looks bad, maybe that's the bike not the mudguard :wink:

*sits back and waits for the "bike class war" to begin*
    Not really active
  • biff55
    no rear mudguard has ever made a bike look good.
    period
    :lol:
    the steve peat fast fender type object looks equally rediculous.
    this could be a long thread.
    :D
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    weeksy59 wrote:

Yeah, but you're a Southern softie - us paid up Northern hard-nuts wouldn't be seen dead with anything as limp-wristed as mudguards... :D
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • biff55
    dave_hill wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:

Yeah, but you're a Southern softie - us paid up Northern hard-nuts wouldn't be seen dead with anything as limp-wristed as mudguards... :D

go dave hill !

now its started
    :D
  • _Ferret_
    the fender mudguard does look silly - that makes a bike look bad!

Sadly dave - you'd never be seen dead at all, shame really... :wink:

Sorry, just an added question - what's a paid-up northern hard-nut?
    Not really active
  • dave_hill wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:

Love it.
  • _Ferret_ wrote:
    I've got mudguards on my bike and they actually look okay - If your bike looks bad, maybe that's the bike not the mudguard :wink:
    haha it's not the bike man!

i never use mudguards offroad but this is just to show she'd look...yeh i could pull it off, but part of the fun going off-road is getting all muddy and being at one with nature!
    img0028rn.jpg

commuter with mudguards...looks a bit dorky but keeps me dry(ish) for uni...
    img0025jrf.jpg
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    dave_hill wrote:

You're all southern softies to me :lol: And I ride mudguarded to the max, because they're great. Fundamentally, you always look like a knob on a bike, not having mudguards doesn't make you suddenly look cool, you just look like a muddier wetter knob.

But to get back to the OP, they do look worse on the rear on full sussers. And they work less well too. On a HT you can go for a perfect fit for best effectiveness and least ugliness, but since you need to accomodate the wheel movement on a full susser that's not so easy. Especially with crudcatchers and their limited movement.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • biff55
    that poor beautiful lapierre , looks butchered under that sea of plastic
    brings a tear to my eye.....
    :wink:
  • biff55
    its like putting a halfords diy body-kit on an aston martin db7.
    so wrong :D
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    dave_hill wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:

I'm a Scouser mate :)

I guess the ones who stay up Norf are a bit thick ;)
  • i have just got a front and rear crudcatcher for my p7 and yes they do look nasty and would not dream of hitting the trails with them.But as for my commute i do like to try and keep me arse dry for when i get there.
    MUDGUARDS ON BIKES DO LOOK GAY :o
  • biff55 wrote:
    that poor beautiful lapierre , looks butchered under that sea of plastic
    brings a tear to my eye.....
    don't worry they were only fitted for the photo then ripped straight back off again!
    she's now back to her former outstanding beauty :D
  • Forget about the North/South divide, I'm from smack in the middle of the country :) .

On my full suss I've got front and back guards on for the winter.

Last year spent a week being really ill due to sheep sh*t water sprayed in my face :cry: .

If you take your riding seriously forget about the posing and the looks.

Is it me or do we have this debate every year? :wink::wink:
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • dickydulux wrote:
    If you take your riding seriously forget about the posing and the looks.
    Come on now...it's all about looks! who buys an ugly bike (on purpose)?
    Although there is this whole "eye of the beholder" thing to consider i suppose...

But i don't believe i've seen the pro mtb riders with front and rear mudguards on...and they take it very seriously!
    dickydulux wrote:
    Is it me or do we have this debate every year? :wink::wink:
    yeah true I can imagine it is brought up every year, but now it's my turn!! lol

anyhoo i'm just about to start a new more interesting thread regarding the above Lapierre and a warranty situation...so hope to see you there :D
  • DickyDulux has it right, it's all about practicality. There's no need for them in warmer spring/summer riding but that water right now is nasty, the dry dusty trails are now sloppy wet sh1te.

Those that are saying mudgaurds look gay have completely overlooked the fact that men who care how they look and 'wouldn't be seen dead in those' are the gayest of all. :wink:

Do those grips match these shoes ducky. :lol:

I would imagine their saddles look something like this. :lol:

3113333672_0c38c268bb.jpg
    Stumpjumper fsr comp £1,600
    Some cycle clobber £357.26
    A load of stuff to clean and lube with £54.56
    Hydration rucksack £9.95

Watching this clueless buffoon make an ar$e of myself out on the trails. PRICELESS! :D
  • No one can deny that bikes look nicer without mudguards, especially the fugly rear ones!

But there is nothing cool about getting sh1t in your face and being soaked to the skin and freezing. If having mud guards for the worst part of the year means I dont look as cool as I could, then so long as I'm not really wet I dont really care. Mud guards are the right kit to have when its proper wet, Just my opinion :wink:

Most of my rides are night rides at the moment anyhow, so no one can see or care about my mud guards :lol:
  • Northwind
    Come on now...it's all about looks! who buys an ugly bike (on purpose)?

But lots of people buy Orange 5s

(dons flameproof suit)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    haha it's not the bike man!

i never use mudguards offroad but this is just to show she'd look...yeh i could pull it off, but part of the fun going off-road is getting all muddy and being at one with nature!
    img0028rn.jpg

commuter with mudguards...looks a bit dorky but keeps me dry(ish) for uni...
    img0025jrf.jpg

Holy mary - if you are worried about image WHY oh WHY would you buy mudguards that look like that!?
    If you buy Halfords trailer trash mudguards then yes you are ruining the look of your bike. Mate, do your bike a little favor and splash some money out on some okay looking plastic.
    If I compare the look of your bike to mine (and they are pretty much the same bike) I'd much rather ride mine around, and it ain't because of the colour...
    Fact is that if you don't want them then, please by all means get muddy, maybe you like cold liquid between your butt cheeks :oops:
    As for me I'll be keeping them on over winter and it doesn't make my bike look any worse. In any case, as said before on this forum, if you're worried about looks, you're in the wrong sport dude...
    Not really active
  • _Ferret_ wrote:
    Holy mary - if you are worried about image WHY oh WHY would you buy mudguards that look like that!?
    If you buy Halfords trailer trash mudguards then yes you are ruining the look of your bike. Mate, do your bike a little favor and splash some money out on some okay looking plastic.
    If I compare the look of your bike to mine (and they are pretty much the same bike) I'd much rather ride mine around, and it ain't because of the colour...
    Fact is that if you don't want them then, please by all means get muddy, maybe you like cold liquid between your butt cheeks :oops:
    As for me I'll be keeping them on over winter and it doesn't make my bike look any worse. In any case, as said before on this forum, if you're worried about looks, you're in the wrong sport dude...
    Halfords! how very dare you! they're Topeak Defenders i'll have you know! :)
    And not to sound bitchy (you started it :P ), but as mudguards go i think i prefer them to yours mate lol.

come on man how can you say mtb'ing is not about looks!
    a ridiculous amount of money is spent on pimping and blinging bikes (prob by a lot of readers of this forum) with unnecessary shiny/anodised bits!

worrying about looking good while biking does not take away from the 'pureness' of the sport

p.s. i think the "cold liquid between your butt cheeks" you're insinuating, is usually quite warm...no??
  • kernowaj
    kernowaj Posts: 198
    dave_hill wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:

With a role model for Northerners being Robson Green (the biggest softie I have ever seen) I dont think you should be calling Southerners soft.

Mud guards do look pretty Robson though.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    Halfords! how very dare you! they're Topeak Defenders i'll have you know! :)
    And not to sound bitchy (you started it :P ), but as mudguards go i think i prefer them to yours mate lol.

come on man how can you say mtb'ing is not about looks!
    a ridiculous amount of money is spent on pimping and blinging bikes (prob by a lot of readers of this forum) with unnecessary shiny/anodised bits!

worrying about looking good while biking does not take away from the 'pureness' of the sport

p.s. i think the "cold liquid between your butt cheeks" you're insinuating, is usually quite warm...no??

WOW dude, I was talking about water and ice, let's not get your hobbies mixed up here :wink:

Loads of money is spent on blinging your bike, but there is a limit, form over function and all that. I have mudguards because the funtion is important to me. I'll admit they don't make a bike look better, but they also don't degrade it's looks either...
    Not really active
  • biff55
    function my ars* , nothin more important than lookin good.
    mudguards still ghey.
  • Northwind
    kernowaj wrote:
    With a role model for Northerners being Robson Green (the biggest softie I have ever seen) I dont think you should be calling Southerners soft.

Just another southerner :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I'm sure we had the whole mudguards are ghey thread done to death last month. :roll:

Go to say that the crud guards look better on the spicy than the topeak. While I don't like putting guards on my bike due to the whole look thing (yes I am a little ghey) I got won over after using all of the current crud guards - including the rather strange but effective front fender. Went out on a completely crazy wet ride and got back to the car without feeling I'd been sandblasted and with clothes that didn't need hand/jet washing before going into the machine. Didn't need to pull grit out of my teeth and ears for a week either :shock:

There are just times in a year when function does beat form. Thankfully the crud products are as good looking as they have ever been this year. Even the front fender grows on you once you leave it on for a while - I've just ordered a white set - and that is GHEY! :wink:
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89