Mudguards on full suss?

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    - I've just ordered a white set - and that is GHEY! :wink:

Mmmmmm white you say ? lol :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Obviously not a full suss, but here's some mudguards not looking horrendous:

IMG_0725.jpg

Trouble with full suss is that you really want the guard to travel with the wheel, so swingarm mounted, but that's generally not very practical.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    I bought white for winter.....they looked REALLY crap on Hardtail.

put white on Full-Sus...they still looked crap.

put white ones on wifes bike. took her black ones.

wife didn't like white ones.

put white ones on kids bike. took black ones. He'll have sprayed them army-style before long anyhow once he discovers where the paints are.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Don't care if my bike looks like a moto cross bike with the engine out... I prefer to stay as dry as possible. No fun freezing yer bollox off after only 15 minutes into a ride.

I'll stick with my front and rear guards till the ground stops looking like the Somme on a bad day.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • I run a front crud catcher because it helps to stop me being sprayed with mud and water when I ride fast off-road at night in muddy / wet conditions

I still wear clear glasses, but the front crudcatcher gets put onto my bike late Autumn and taken off Spring

it actually looks fine, and helps keep both me and my bike clean :)
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    edited December 2009
    dave_hill wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    anyone who thinks they are gay is just a proper plum.

They are exceptional useful.h

Yeah, but you're a Southern softie - us paid up Northern hard-nuts wouldn't be seen dead with anything as limp-wristed as mudguards... :D

Said by a man who lives of the female side of the Pennines and clearly does not ride off road in all conditions every day for fun or commuting like a proper Northerner from Yorkshire with proper hills, cobbles, moors, beer, mills, chimneys and pies.

If you did ride every day you'd know that mudguards increase the life of the average washing machine and so the stereotypical Yorkshiremans wallet remains closed.

And I'm happy that Tod has an Oldham postcode and phone number, it may technically be in Yorkshire but it's full of freaking weirdos.

Merry Christmas
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • Northwind
    That southerner from yorkshire has a point.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Oh yes one last thing.

If you didn't think they built 'em properly on the male side of the Pennines check out one of the pubs in which we drink many pints of cycling food.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/8420548.stm

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/Pu ... 5925634.jp

Staying open despite the fear of a chimney collapse, that's proper Northern.

Now, where did I put that Pimms.....................
    FCN4
    CUBE Peleton 2012
  • adun1408
    adun1408 Posts: 123
    edited December 2009
    I do'nt care what anyone says mudguards are so wrong, if you want to stay dry do'nt go out.
  • stomith
    "Ms Cooper, who lives in the pub with her partner and two children, added she had received a second opinion from independent architects who had said it was just the residential part of the pub which was at risk."

er....the bit with the kids in it? LOL.

Imminent Darwin award?.
  • stomith wrote:
    "Ms Cooper, who lives in the pub with her partner and two children, added she had received a second opinion from independent architects who had said it was just the residential part of the pub which was at risk."

er....the bit with the kids in it? LOL.

Imminent Darwin award?.

You know nothing about us folk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
    FCN4
    CUBE Peleton 2012
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    adun1408 wrote:
    I do'nt care what anyone says mudguards are so wrong, if you want to stay dry do'nt go out.

^^ +1
    if its cold , wet and muddy outdoors then a set of feckin mudguards aren't gonna
    make that much difference when you go riding
    suck it up softlads.
    :wink:
  • Northwind
    biff55 wrote:
    if its cold , wet and muddy outdoors then a set of feckin mudguards aren't gonna make that much difference when you go riding
    suck it up softlads.

How much riding have you done with good quality mudguards? Not a lot, sounds like. They make a huge difference. Don't keep you clean or dry but make the difference between wet and soaked, or muddy and mud monster.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • biff55 wrote:
    adun1408 wrote:

^^ +1
    if its cold , wet and muddy outdoors then a set of feckin mudguards aren't gonna
    make that much difference when you go riding
    suck it up softlads.

I don't own a set myself but have considered it, nowt to do with being soft as I regularly go out and get covered in shit, head to toe, in the coldest weathers.

There are other reasons for these guards being practical, like the fact the mud in turn, covers the house in shit. So I can see why people would see some benefit.

Personally, I always think it's best to keep an open mind to things that are different, rather than going through life with a close minded attitude.
    I see so much nonsense posted here, and pointless arguments on this forum (FS vs HT, Flats vs Clipless, SS vs Gears etc.. :roll: ) that it really doesn't seem worth bothering coming here.

Too many over opioniated 'know it all but know fuck all' kinda people at times. So I shall make this my last post.

Good luck to those with the right attitude though.
    Stumpjumper fsr comp £1,600
    Some cycle clobber £357.26
    A load of stuff to clean and lube with £54.56
    Hydration rucksack £9.95

Watching this clueless buffoon make an ar$e of myself out on the trails. PRICELESS! :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It does seem like people are proud to admit they choose to make themselves more uncomfortable. Why?

Don't say "it's cos we're not softies", because if that was true then you wouldn't use tyres, gears or suspension, and you'd have a rock for a saddle (see Sheldon Brown). And you'd grip onto bare bars, and stick nails through your ankles to put in the holes in the cranks, because pedals are for wusses! :roll:

If someone says "they're too expensive, and they don't work" then fair enough. But to dismiss them because you want to be a real man is a bit silly really. Isn't it?

For people saying "if you don't want to get wet then don't go out", I'm assuming you never wear waterproofs, or any clothes at all in fact?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I see so much nonsense posted here, and pointless arguments on this forum (FS vs HT, Flats vs Clipless, SS vs Gears etc.. :roll: ) that it really doesn't seem worth bothering coming here.

Too many over opioniated 'know it all but know fark all' kinda people at times. So I shall make this my last post.

good.
  • biff55
    Northwind wrote:
    biff55 wrote:
    if its cold , wet and muddy outdoors then a set of feckin mudguards aren't gonna make that much difference when you go riding
    suck it up softlads.

How much riding have you done with good quality mudguards? Not a lot, sounds like. They make a huge difference. Don't keep you clean or dry but make the difference between wet and soaked, or muddy and mud monster.

firstly , im just having a bit of wind up type banter so stop taking yourselves so
    feckin seriously.
    secondly , theres no point engaging yourself in an outdoor activity like biking , in a cold , wet , muddy enviroment like the UK , then begin to insulate yourself with mudguards , waterproof y- fronts , gortex socks and all the other junk folk use for a few hours riding round a trail.
    Your not gonna keep clean and dry , so stop trying.
    Lastly if mudguards were such a vital piece of kit for biking in this country ,
    why dont bikes come with them fitted or built in ?
  • biff55
    .....cos they woudn't pass EU ghey regulations
  • Northwind
    biff55 wrote:
    secondly , theres no point engaging yourself in an outdoor activity like biking , in a cold , wet , muddy enviroment like the UK , then begin to insulate yourself with mudguards , waterproof y- fronts , gortex socks and all the other junk folk use for a few hours riding round a trail.
    Your not gonna keep clean and dry , so stop trying.

OK, you said not to take you seriously but this is a fair point- but, it's not the same- like I say it's not just wet vs dry, all shades of grey, my mudguards keep me drier and warmer and less covered in s****e than I would be otherwise. They don't have to keep you completely dry to be worthwhile.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • biff55
    i actually said stop taking "yourselves " so seriously.
    your continual attempts to state your position on the issue proves my comment true.
  • Anyhoo....glad i brought it up! lol

So we're agree'd that some people like em and some don't....that answers my question

Well i'm off to glentress this week...without the mudguards (not that there's any mud as it's all frozen!) and not to prove a point or be all manly, just because i dont feel i need them.

Point is, use em, dont use em, it's no biggie

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Hope you all get some nice new shiny bikey bits from Santa!
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    I think Northwind is trying to play the part of giving some useful advise on an issue that has come up so often it's almost boring.
    And you are playing the part of the ignorant git who doesn't really know better - which I must say you pull off well... :wink:
    Not really active
  • Northwind
    biff55 wrote:
    i actually said stop taking "yourselves " so seriously.
    your continual attempts to state your position on the issue proves my comment true.

I see, so you're allowed to give your opinion but anyone else who does the same is taking it too seriously? :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • biff55
    my comments are of a tongue in cheek humorous nature.
    everyones opinion is valid on a forum , never denied that.

as for ferret spitting his dummy out and getting all personal with the ignorant git comments
    like i say , some folk just so serious.
    :lol:
  • _Ferret_ wrote:
    I think Northwind is trying to play the part of giving some useful advise on an issue that has come up so often it's almost boring.
    And you are playing the part of the ignorant git who doesn't really know better - which I must say you pull off well... :wink:
    If the 'ignorant git' comment was aimed at me I don't know why.
    And if the subject bores you, don't feel you have to contribute!

I started this thread to get opinions on a subject, which i acknowledged had probably been discussed before, but a discussion may be brought up more than once to get new opinions and feedback!
    Am i right? (p.s. that's rhetorical)
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Sorry Biff - wasn't getting personal, you said you were playing, I was just saying you are good at it. :wink:

No Carlos - it wasn't aimed at you and sadly even though we've had these threads before I feel compelled to comment, same as the SPD Vs Flats, or Hardtail Vs Full Sus. It's an illness really...
    Not really active
  • I was a non mudguard rider for years untill I fitted an neo guard / crud catcher combo to the front (just to try it out). The difference is amazing. Sure you still get mud on you (in a grrr manly way) but not in your eyes and mouth! Nice being able to nail a muddy downhill trail without having to squint and spit out crap. I'm going to try a rear guard next just to see how much more I enjoy my freezing night rides without the ice water in the bum crack sensation 2 mins into the ride!!! Soon as the summer sun appears I'll switch back to the flapless setup. :wink:
  • stomith
    "You try and tell the young people of today, that....and they won't believe you" :)

I think the point is that it is great fun "getting" muddy but there is nothing pleasurable about "being" muddy. Especially not that green stinky stuff that evolves in stagnant water. If ingested, like moomoopoo will give you the sh1ts....and worse if your unlucky.

Seems, for winter...just sensible to me. Don't have to kill the washing machine to sort things out and people don't look at me and say...."You can sit in the beer garden"

Actually found it easier to hose self down after a messy ride along with the bike. It's like a bonding thing :)
  • Mr bump
    Mr bump Posts: 369
    dave_hill wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    anyone who thinks they are gay is just a proper plum.

They are exceptional useful.h

Yeah, but you're a Southern softie - us paid up Northern hard-nuts wouldn't be seen dead with anything as limp-wristed as mudguards... :D

Correct me if im wrong but isnt a certain Mr Peat using a mud guard and from what i remember hes a northern chap. :?
    Eagles may fly high but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4466/pbpic4466217.jpg
  • img0028rn.jpg

Your worried about making your bike look shit with the use of mudguards!! have you seen your saddle and pedals
    Cycling the Tour D'Afrique in 2012

www.tda2012.com