Wiggins leaves Garmin, Joins Sky for 2010-it's official!

Comments

• eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Well professional if you follow the Man U type of professionalism of tapping up.

I don't think it is that big a loss for Garmin either, not if they got a lot of cash out of it. They still have a solid squad and if the likes of Dan Martin can step up, then Wiggins loss may almost go unnoticed. After all Wiggins was hardly rolling in wins last year.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I used to think Wiggins was a d1ck and then he kind of grew on me this year. I realise now that he is in fact a d1ck. What a complete team ho. Sky can have him, he won't be anywhere near the top four in the Tour this year.

Wonder how Lovqvist will take it?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Timoid. wrote:

Didn't they hire lots of Scandinavians because they'll just do what they're told and not make a fuss? Ants and chimps etc
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Nice teasing vid on the Sky ProCycling facebook page, nice shiny bike and bus with rider names down the back. Can't pause it at just the right place to see if Wiggo's name is already on the bus though. As names are written alphabetically he'll probably be easily added without messing the paint work up....
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    It's good in a best-of-British kind of way, but it doesn't seem that obvious that Sky will be better than Garmin so I can't help thinking he should have stayed there if he wants to do well in the Tour.

Only he knows his motives, but I'd like to think it wasn't all about his bank balance- you can see why Sky would have a strong pull for him.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Timoid. wrote:

Probably realised that at best he would get one Wiggo free season anyway.

TBH Team Sky have just saved their asses. They've actually got a British rider who has a chance of doing well in the TdF now.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    iainf72 wrote:
    I do take issue with it being some kind of super exciting team though. BMC are far more interesting.
    Gawd, you're tedious. I think we heard you the first 300 times.
  • iainf72
    samb01 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    I do take issue with it being some kind of super exciting team though. BMC are far more interesting.
    Gawd, you're tedious. I think we heard you the first 300 times.

Thanks for your input. I was commenting directly on the link I'd just posted. The most exciting team since Mapei?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I do believe that as it stands now, Garmin are definitely a better GT team.

Danielson looked OK at the Vuelta and could certainly offer support in the mountains. Vande Velde obviously is a super-domestique in that respect and Dan Martin would be quite good as well. Add in Millar and Zabriskie and you have a good solid team.

Not sure who will be there with Wiggo on the climbs at Sky. Johnny Lee Augustyn?

I guess Wiggo's departure is OK for Garmin - they still have Christian, and it will be a good opportunity for Dan Martin to step up. Plus JV gets a few quid towards a new wine cellar and a pair of tartan tweeds....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:

Not sure who will be there with Wiggo on the climbs at Sky. Johnny Lee Augustyn?

That's the crux of the matter I reckon. JLA, maybe. Gerrans? Perhaps but he's never seemed to offer a mountain support role. Cioni? Old.

They're not a terrible team but they do seem to lack firepower for mountains.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Wiggins has leadout train experience with Cav, so he'll make a decent contribution to EBH's train.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    MrChuck wrote:
    .Only he knows his motives, but I'd like to think it wasn't all about his bank balance- you can see why Sky would have a strong pull for him.

if the rumoured salary is even half correct then its obviously a major contibution in decision, as well as his links to BC. he's 29, 4 year contract at big bucks, happy days. anyone here not move jobs for triple salary in his situation?
  • Slightly off the topic- I have to say the Dogma in Sky colours from the sky sports website looks a hell of lot better than that madone/shack crap just published...

Looks like he'll still be using the electronic shifters though... that's a shame. (note: not to cause any arguement- I think the technology is a good thing, I just prefer campagnolo)

I think it's too soon to start being critical of the squad- it's a long term investment/ strategy and I pressume he would be confident in that approach when he signed on the dotted line. I'm sure he said next year he's aiming for second, NOT the jesery.

He definitley doesn't have the support now, but he will provide a huge amount of physiological data in terms of training/ testing/ experience for the coaches/sky support and youth development programmes, for providing better training interventions for the younger brits coming through...

enough waffle. It's fantastic news- Im pleased for him.
  • redddraggon
    I'm struggling to see what's so exciting about bradley wiggins going to sky
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    Top level British team sign top British rider, cheer up guys this forum is getting as negative as the Daily Mail!
  • redddraggon
    Bradley Wiggins has as less chance equaling (or doing better than) his 4th from last, than Willhub has in discovering he's the next Isaac Newton.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I'm struggling to see what's so exciting about bradley wiggins going to sky

+ 1 bazillion.

So, so, boring.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    iainf72 wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    So what can do Garmin with that substantial amount of cash? It's not like they have a guaranteed TdF entry with just Farrar and Vandevelde....

Why not? They're as good as Sky, if not better.
    Yes, but I don't think Sky has a guaranteed entry either. I believe with losing Wiggins Garmin has moved from the guaranteed wild card category to the increasingly large group of 'quite possibly but not certainly' teams.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Question - are SKY a better team today than they were yesterday?
  • redddraggon
    Pokerface wrote:

EBH's leadout is stronger.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pokerface wrote:

Of course they are.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Surely Boasson Hagen will be expected to be a massive help for Wiggins, and he might be the one to do the TdF business inside 5 years rather than Wiggins. I think some of you are underestimating the Brailsford and team GB effect - he will get more out of Wiggins in the next 2-3 years than Garmin could have.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    At first glance it does look like Wiggins would get significantly better support from Garmin based on the support they gave him last year.

The thing is before Wiggins concentrated on the road with BC support last year, you wouldn't have expected him to finish 4th in the tour. You're judging the Sky line up based on their previous performances, who knows what they'll be able to acheive with support from Sky and BC?

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting they're all going to be magically transformed into GC contenders over night, but I wouldn't be surprised to see noticeable improvements from some of the riders.
  • There's some miserable beggars on here today.
    For years, a top level British pro team, with a British leader, a decent clutch of British riders and the promise of plenty more homegrown talent to come in the near future, seemed like an impossible dream.
    Now it's a reality and people are still finding the time to moan.
    Sure, Wiggins may never better last year's performance, but personally I'm going to enjoy watching him try.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I won't believe it, until Dennis announces it's official. :wink:

I've tried to call him a couple of times and he left a voice mail for me, but it wasn't about
    who he had signed with. Said he had something to tell me and did I want to catch a beer
    with him tomorrow? :wink:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I think it is good news. Hopefully Lovkvist will be one performer in the mountains. I know he is seen as a real talent.

As for the team itself, the most interesting thing will be seeing how they perform in the first few months. I for one hope Bradley doesn't get into the habit of concentrating fully on the Tour to the extent that he gets no other results all season. He needs to show that he can win races, which will in turn help get the team into the Tour. Last year he showed some promise in Paris-Roubaix, but presumably that is out of the window this year.

The performances of the other English riders will be something to keep an eye on through the season. I've seen mention of Steve Cummings having lost a lot of weight and a few big name riders talking him up. Maybe he will come good? Maybe the likes of Geraint Thomas will start to show? So many possibilities...

On a related note, has anything been written anywhere about Jonathan Bellis and whether his injuries are going to put a halt on his cycling career? The last thing I saw he was gradually improving, but nothing more.
  • maltiv
    maltiv Posts: 34
    DaveyL wrote:
    I do believe that as it stands now, Garmin are definitely a better GT team.

Danielson looked OK at the Vuelta and could certainly offer support in the mountains. Vande Velde obviously is a super-domestique in that respect and Dan Martin would be quite good as well. Add in Millar and Zabriskie and you have a good solid team.

I guess Wiggo's departure is OK for Garmin - they still have Christian, and it will be a good opportunity for Dan Martin to step up. Plus JV gets a few quid towards a new wine cellar and a pair of tartan tweeds....
    Lövkvist will probably be a really helpful guy for wiggins in the hardest mountains, and they have other excellent riders who can assist him elsewhere such as Kurt Asle Arvesen, Pauwels and Augustyn. Possibly EBH as well, but I really hope they won't force him into a domestique role...
  • iainf72
    Garmin's reaction was interesting "Wiggins departure is not the outcome we hoped for"

And there's also been a few things about the UCI only recently confirming it. Sounds a bit awkward.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Surely Boasson Hagen will be expected to be a massive help for Wiggins, and he might be the one to do the TdF business inside 5 years rather than Wiggins. I think some of you are underestimating the Brailsford and team GB effect - he will get more out of Wiggins in the next 2-3 years than Garmin could have.

If Wiggins is still planning on doing the classics like he did last year, I'm sure EBH will want some supprt from Wiggins there in return for some TdF help.

I still recon VdV is better than Wiggins when he's fully fit. I guess time will tell hopefully!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I guess credit must be given to JV for signing Wiggins when he had few big wins on the road and so JV must be pretty good at spotting able riders-taking a gamble no others teams seemed to want to. JV seems a intelligent man with the bigger picture e.g. comments re lack of rules of transfers..